Hi folks! It's time for another creature cycle challenge! This one is inspired by a video
I stumbled upon recently, which reminded me of an oft-forgotten cycle: the Nephilim.
The Nephilim were a cycle of wacky cards from Guildpact, representing bizarre primordial beasts from prehistoric Ravnica. In the story they basically just wake up, cause a mess, and then all get killed.
Mechanically, the Nephilim didn't have much of a theme going on. They kinda just did whatever. The only things they had in common were their four-color mana costs and their bizarre, fascinating art. Which is what brought about this contest! I'm sure plenty of you have seen cool fantasy art out there that you really liked, but was just a little too quirky or odd for your normal Cardsmith designs. This contest finally gives you an excuse to pull out the weird stuff!
So, I'd like to see some Nephilim, please! Here are your rules:
1. Your card must be a creature, or create or become a creature in some manner.
2. The creature must have the creature type Nephilim.
3. The card must have unusual art (loosely defined here as art depicting some sort of being that a casual observer couldn't immediately identify as a specific creature type e.g. a tentacled monster that could pass for an Eldrazi wouldn't cut it). Use your best judgement, and try to find cool, off-the-wall art!
The judging criteria will be the usual standard: formatting, creativity, balance, and most importantly, ART
are as follows:
First place: 4 faves, available on request
Second place: 3 faves
Third place: 2 faves
Honorable Mentions: Shoutouts and a fave for their entries.
A pre-emptive FAQ:
1. Entries can be any color, or colorless. They do not have to be multicolor.
2. Entries can be any rarity, although I encourage you to be creative and aim for around rare.
3. Please credit your artist. If you don't, at least post a link to where you found the art. I won't DQ you for forgetting, but it's part of good Cardsmithing and it may affect your final placement.
4. The setting for the card's flavor doesn't have to be Ravnica. In can be from any MtG world, or one of your own design, or from no where in particular.
5. Judging will begin ~March 30th.
6. Limit of three entries per Cardsmith.
Have fun, and happy Cardsmithing!