It's finally time for the sixth and final round of...
The premise of this contest is simple:
1) It follows the original GDS3 challenges
. You can find the original challenges HERE!
2) You only need to design half the cards
compared to the original rules (usually going from 8-10 to 4-5 cards). I adapted the rules accordingly.
3) A little twist
has been added to each challenge so people who followed the GDS3 can't come too prepared.
4) No elimination
, you can skip any round or jump in at any moment.
Without further ado, let's jump to the challenge:
__________HALF-CHALLENGE 6: PACK AND PLAY
You can find the rules of the original challenge HERE!
I took them and cut them in half:THE HALF-RULES:
1) You must design 8 cards.
2) Those 8 cards will constitute a MTG Arena booster pack: 5 commons, 2 uncommons, and 1 rare or mythic rare.
3) You must claim a Modern-legal black-bordered Magic expansion set by claiming it in the comments. This will be first come, first served. Unlike the original challenge though, two people can claim two different sets from the same block. For instance, if you choose the set "Khans of Tarkir", the other sets from this block "Fate Reforged" and "Dragons of Tarkir" will still be viable options for other participants.
4) You must design all cards as if they belong to the expansion you've chosen. Note this means you will only be able to use keywords or ability words found in that expansion (and you will be limited to evergreen mechanics that existed in that set).
5) All colors must appear in your entry at least once. Your pack should reflect the set you've chosen though, especially if your set has a higher rate of colorless cards (artifacts, eldrazi, etc.) or multicoloured cards.
But that's not all. To prevent people who already did the full original challenge from having too much of a head start, I added... a twist.
6) To shake up a bit the cards you'd want to design, YOU MUST SATISFY A NUMBER OF CONSTRAINTS DEPENDENT ON HOW WELL YOU'VE PERFORMED IN PREVIOUS ROUNDS
. You'll find just below the four constraints with the criteria determining which one you have to satisfy with your entry.— CONSTRAINT #1:CRITERIA: For everyone• I want a card with the name of a character born on the chosen plane in its title.
It can be the character themselves or a signature card like "Ajani's Pridemate", or "Chandra's Pyrohelix".— CONSTRAINT #2:CRITERIA: For all participants who have received a medal in previous rounds.
Arinska, bigbadbooknerd, bnew07, Bowler218, brcien, Corwinnn, Derfaulehelmut, Domrikade, Faiths_Guide, kandra127, kickash, KorandAngels, LeSelton, LuckyLooter, LyndonF, Netherin5, NicholasBolas, ouser94501, Project1734, Ranshi922, Revan, sanjaya666, SmallJem, TheCenterOfTheUniverse, Undead• I want a card with a subtype that is exclusive or almost-exclusive to the chosen plane in its rules box.
(Please mention the subtype.) This means that the subtype must be, in your opinion, very tied to your set, even if some other sets have used it. This can be any kind of subtype that appear after the dash "—" in the type box like "Aetherborn", "Saga" or "Gate". The card can interact with it in any way by caring about it, boosting it, destroying it, etc.— CONSTRAINT #3:CRITERIA: For all participants who got ranked in previous rounds.
bnew07, Derfaulehelmut, Faiths_Guide, kandra127, LuckyLooter, NicholasBolas, Ranshi922, sanjaya666, Undead• I want a card that would help at least two distinct Draft archetypes from the chosen set.
(Please mention which two archetypes the card is helping.)— CONSTRAINT #4:CRITERIA: For all participants who got ranked at least twice in previous rounds.
bnew07, Derfaulehelmut, Faiths_Guide, Undead• I want a card that tries to fix a general issue with the set.
(Please mention the issue.) The best place to find those issues would probably be the yearly State of Design articles by Mark Rosewater.
This means that you can have up to four restrictions to satisfy with your eight cards. Note that you can have multiple cards satisfying the same constraint, and you can have a single card satisfying multiple constraints at once.[EDIT] SETS ALREADY CLAIMED:
• BATTLE FOR ZENDIKAR
• KHANS OF TARKIR
• ELDRITCH MOON
• BORN OF THE GODS
• AETHER REVOLT
• GUILDS OF RAVNICA
• FATE REFORGED
• CHAMPIONS OF KAMIGAWA
• RAVNICA ALLEGIANCE
• RIVALS OF IXALAN
Here are some additional information for the contest:OLD CARDS ARE:
Design cards for the set you've chosen.TEXT-ONLY CARDS ARE:
Allowed, but you must link the illustration that would go with it. DEADLINE:
Sunday, May 26th (3 weeks from now)REWARD:
- 1st place — 5 favourites of their choice
- 2st place — 3 favourites of their choice
- 3st place — 1 favourite of their choice
The main difficulty of this final challenge is that you have to design a lot of commons, and that will be your first medium for conveying what the whole set is about in only 8 cards. My advice is to look at all the constraints, even if you're not concerned by all of them. I designed them not trick you but to guide you, they're all pinpointing elements that you need to think about to understand what makes your set unique ;)
I wish you all good luck, let the sixth and final round of the HALF-GDS3 begin! =D