Favorite Bot Accounts

This has become a larger problem recently. A lot of people have been creating accounts, sticking 1-2 (and sometimes 0) randomly generated cards in them and then using those accounts to favorite massive numbers of cards. In the last few weeks, these accounts have also started to favorite random cards in order to mask whomever is actually using them. A few of these accounts have picked 40+ favorites in the last 24 hours. Here's a list of names from just tonight:

Probable Offenders

• pedropohren
  • bocco2134
  • traefrost2
  • squee

Ways to spot a 'favorite bot' account

1. All of their cards were all made within 1-2 days of each other.
  2. They favorite cards primarily by a single user.
  3. Their favorites are done in large batches rather than over time.
  4. Many of the cards they favorite are nonsensical. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but most real accounts don't favorite cards that make no sense, are broken, are unable to be played or have massive, noticeable errors on them.
  5. They have a very large number of favorites and very few created cards.
The first and third point are the most obvious giveaways since they make it clear that the person is not a frequent user and the account was only made to give favorites. The second point used to be the easiest way to tell but as I said earlier, they have begun picking random favorites in order to mask their activities.

I will continue to update this list as time goes on. If your name shows up on it, you're welcome to explain the strange circumstances of your account and I'll happily remove you.

Comments

• Is there a good way to find bot accounts?
  • edited June 2016
    Also, how do you tell when a card was favourited? I may have located a bot account, but I want to be sure.
  • I still don't understand. Why would people make accounts to just load favorites on everything?
  • @Lujikul
    Some people feel their card is the best thing ever... "if only someone would just notice it!"
    Rarely, if ever, is this the case. It's mainly to get noticed... usually without having to do the hard work or gain the respect of the community. It's part of the "Notice Me!" mindset that YouTube and other social media have cultivated.
    At least that's my thought on it
  • You can't see when they added it as a favorite but a card can't be favorited until it is created. If they went and favorited 45 cards that were all made in one day (like some of the listed users) it is pretty obvious.

Favorites out of order are a less-strong indicator of a junk account. We all sometimes creep through backlogs collections and find something we like from a while ago or repost an old card to a new contest but a random old card favorited in the middle of a ton that were made all in one day is pretty obvious.
  • @Corwinnn, I feel like that sometimes. I have cards that I just absolutely love, but I don't tromp around on here or the main website, telling people to favorite _______. As much as I want favorites, I wouldn't go over the line by making 1-3 favorite accounts JUST so I can be a favored member. I want to earn my favorites legit (Even if it is only 13 at the moment) rather than making a couple of accounts to do it for me. I DO have another account, but I am using it for a custom set, not for favorites.

I also think you ware right about the "Notice Me!" part. A lot of people want to be favored members, to be popular like you. A lot of people on here want to be the best. If they are so desperate, do you think they would make a couple more accounts to do so?
  • I think the best way to get attention is to give it. Leave comments (even if they're just friendly/funny little messages, the author of the card will probably appreciate it anyway), favorite other cards you like, and contribute to contests and discussions on the forums. Listen to other people's feedback and steadily make better cards. It's not instant attention but you'll make friends and get increasingly more feedback and legit favorites eventually.

idk, maybe a creator of a bot account or someone thinking of making such an account will read this thread and change their mind.
  • @GodFerretGaming - I think it's a limited thing, and really mostly newbies. It is fun to see your card on the daily favored list, so the new ones like to make an impact, but I don't think it's a big problem among our regulars... besides, it's pretty easy to spot the fakes

@saveria201 is right... Participation is the key!
  • @saveria201 is right. Participate and put effort into your cards and you'll get plenty of favorites. @animist is the most-favorited creator and it's because he's creative as heck and participates.

As for the purpose of this thread, I'm mostly pointing out that it's something a lot of people are aware of and the jerks trying to game the system aren't fooling anyone. All they are doing is negatively impacting the community which is the exact opposite of how they should be if they want to get real favorites.
  • Updated the list. @FblthpTheStormCrow isn't a bot. Yay!
  • Honestly, I'm sightly insulted you considered me a bot.
  • edited June 2016
    @FblthpTheStormCrow
    It's actually a compliment. He thought you were a bot because you were so enthusiastic about all the cards on the site (primarily mine :P) you started favoriting a ton of 'em! Now we know your just a super nice dude who takes a lot of interest in our smithing!

We love you @FblthpTheStormCrow!!!
  • :::Group Hug:::
  • Corwinnn, however is actually a bot. A very cleverly programmed one.
  • @Biblio2
    You must be in error, you said @Corwinnn and clever in the same sentence XD
  • :::beep:::boop:::
    Does Not Compute
    *fzzzzzt*
  • Oops he shorted out again. Guess I should stop spilling coffee all over him huh?
  • edited June 2016
    Dark Roasted =)!
    Excuse the pun!
  • Perhaps not too cleverly programmed...
  • @Corwinnn is actually not a squirrel. He's a demon who shorts himself out by drinking coffee.

Starts fixing Corwinnn
  • edited July 2016
    I can no longer update the main post but the list now includes @squee
  • edited July 2016
    We'll work on getting some more cards out!

( @squee and his Star Wars Battlefront *facepalm*. Still loves to look through my cards but won't take time to make any himself LOL. I'll try and jump start him so he'll look more legit.)
  • edited July 2016
    To fill people in a little (those who are interested), I created this:
    http://forums.mtgcardsmith.com/discussion/1737/me-squee
  • edited July 2016
    @pedropohren has been making more cards recently and seems to be making an effort to participate rather than just distribute favorites. I'm not going to remove them from the list just yet but this is very encouraging.

@bocco2134 is definitely a favorite bot still.

@traefrost2 is definitely a favorite bot still.

@squee has made another card. I'm not going to remove him from the list yet but he is moving in the right direction.
  • edited July 2016
    @strongbelieves & @Others
    You have no idea how hard it was to get him to focus long enough to turn that card out after going to a movie theater and getting back around 10:30 LOL
This discussion has been closed.