Contest-Make something Lame Awesome

edited February 2020 in Just for Fun Contests
There are a few things in mtg that sound super cool but end up just falling short and being lame for one reason or another. Perhaps a card with sweet art has a terrible ability, or perhaps a card has too high a cmc for what it does to be playable. Your job is to take a card as a reference point and push its design in a way that makes it cool enough. You may also instead use mtg art that was used as promotional art but not as official card art for the pictures.

Logisitics:
2 entries allowed per person

You may submit one old card if you also submit a new card. Provide the card you are referencing.

You may use any key words that are a seven or lower on the storm scale. You may not use new keyword abilities.

The card, including name and at least one other meaningful change, must be made.

Please provide a 2-3 sentence description of what you chose to do and why.

Due date: March 17th or luck

Prize: first gets a number of likes equal to half of the cards entered
Honorable mentions get favorites

Comments

• edited February 2020
    Here you go:
    A significant improvement of

I searched for bad mtg cards and found Zephyr spirit. I thought I could improve it, but it was hard to do without using interesting abilities you banned. So now my card is kinda boring.
  • @KorandAngels Thanks for entering! It's so cute!!
  • edited February 2020
    (edited for balance from feedback)

an old infamous card lol
  • @Shadaar definitely made that card better. I will note that you should have Elder's power and toughness equal zero, not star.
  • 2nd entry:
    Is an upgrade from
    I moved the words around. Entering the battlefield tapped is worth one mana you might not be able to spend easily, and 4 life also seems to be a fair price.
  • edited February 2020
    @brcien oh crap haha, you're right. I'll fix that

Edit: fixed
  • edited February 2020

From an old card:

Despite of the badass art (he looks like an evil avatar Aang tbh), his ability just seems to be... not so good, just like many other legendaries from the Legends expansion.

Well, Magic's early days, I suppose.
  • New Card vs OG Card.
    imageimage
  • New Card vs OG Card.
    imageimage
  • @revan thanks for entering! That's six entries so far so total likes for first place is up to 3. There's a little less than three weeks left.
  • imageimage
    New art by me!
  • thanks for the entry~~We've got some tricksy stuff brewing.
  • image image
    I'm liking this idea of recreating the legends from Legends. I based this re-make mostly on the flavor text of the original card. (and kept it on the new card)
  • image image

Another legend from legends. I literally searched for legends from legends and found Livonya. Upgrade & flavour text based off of original card. I hope it works well enough.
  • @ArchieTayolor
    Might want to give her reach as well...
  • You guys have about two weeks left--5 likes for winner as is, goes up with more entries.
  • A few redesigned cards for your viewing pleasure:

From this mess:
    An overpriced, under-powered card that has an overly punishing cost for an effect that, while trying to create an interesting choice in combat, just results in a poorly executed concept.

To this:
    I halved the mana cost because nobody wants to sink 4 mana into a 1/1. She keeps Bushido because that was clearly part of what was supposed to make the original design interesting. I stripped her of regenerate because it was a 10 on the Storm Scale and instead replaced it with a slightly more valuable ability. She still makes blocking her a bit risky, and also helps make other blocks worse at the same time. A better card with greater impact during combat.

From this mess:
    A Plains that hurts you to activate, lacks the Plains subtype, and has a conditional, one-time-use, hilariously ineffective activated ability.

To this:
    The first thing I wanted to do when I saw the original was give it the desert subtype. That gives the card a bit of niche utility and synergy in certain mana bases and decks that it otherwise lacked before. Next, I changed the mana ability to be in line with the other deserts that have been printed in recent years, so it can tap for a colorless or a white if you pay the life. Next, I trashed the original threshold ability and replaced it with another white ability that was much more valuable in the long run: token creation. I also removed the sacrifice cost that way the land could stick around and provide further value as the game progresses.
  • Original to Improved.
    Not quite the same, but ehhhhhhh
  • edited March 2020
    imageimage

Martyr of Spores is all around bad, it gives your opponent a lot of info and it doesn't even support the flavor of spores. Sporest has infect which is very spore-y which is balanced my the fact that is has defender. Unlike Martyr of Spores, it's ability buffs only itself but the cost is very synergistic with green black who love to fill their graveyard.

The art is a promo for Inkmoth Nexus.

If someone could tell me how to get my card to be middle sized please let me know.
  • You put size="35%" in the img tag to decrease size
  • New and old
    image image
  • edited March 2020
    Well, it uses abilities that are 9 on the storm scale but I figured I might as well share it:
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/sivitri-scarzam-seas-lure?list=user
    https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=2879

• bump--also, is anyone else having trouble logging in? I had to get on desktop and try several things when usually its quick on mobile.
  • Just a few days left~
  • edited March 2020
    Last day, I will accept entries until I post feedback. I will post feedback for everyone, probably on Thursday.
This discussion has been closed.