Want to know what other people think about your mechanics? Here's the place!

edited June 2020 in Custom Card Sets
So, I have made a place where you can share your mechanics and other people can tell you what they think about it. It has the exact same rules as the Post your cards here. See what people actually think discussion, but you post mechanics instead of cards.

I have one mechanic here so the first person comments on this and posts one of their own:

Telekinesis N {Cost} (Whenever this creature begins a turn untapped, you may pay {Cost}. If you do, target creature an opponent controls gets -N/-0 until end of turn.)

Comments

• edited June 2020
    @joemamajoe Telekinesis seems way too good in blue/green untap decks, especially since those colors are known (Or at least Green) for ramping into big creatures, also vigilance. I guess it could be good on a creature with a tap ability?

Compost X (When you cast this spell, you may put the top X cards of your library into your graveyard. If you do, you may return up to one target creature card with conveted mana cost X or less from your graveyard to your hand.)
  • For Golgari. Obviously.
  • edited June 2020
    @dragonbornletter Compost is just a too specific ability to be keyworded. May I suggest:

Compost X (As you cast this spell, you may mill X. If you do, return up to one target creature card with converted mana cost less than this card's converted mana cost from your graveyard to your hand.)

My ability: 

Binding (Choose a creature card in your graveyard as you cast this spell. When this permanent leaves the battlefield, return the chosen card from your graveyard to your hand.)

• edited June 2020
    Here's one that I'm gonna try and make a set around:

Masquerade (When this creature enters the battlefield, you may pay 2 life. If you do, this creature copies up to one type or ability from target creature an opponent controls.)

I feel like the wording definitely needs some work
  • @NinjaBlendr I think it is a great idea, but it should be a little more flexible, try this for your set instead: 

Masquerade N (When CARDNAME enters the battlefield you may pay N life. If you do, it gains the a type or an ability of target creature an opponent controls.)

My Ability (Again):

Binding (Choose a creature card in your graveyard as you cast this spell. When this permanent leaves the battlefield, return the chosen card from your graveyard to your hand.)
  • @joemamajoe Your ability would be a bit more balanced if the card with Binding had to be exiled to return the chosen card to your hand. Otherwise you could just loop two cards with the ability and have never-ending creatures
  • @dragonbornletter Yeah I see what you mean. I will change that.
  • Yeah, that's much better. That way I can still give the ability to already strong cards and just raise the cost. Thanks!
  • @dragonbornletter No prob.

Also if you want to post something else its your go because you just commented on mine.

• @dragonbornletter @joemamajoe Compost should be a keyword I think. Like, you can pay something, or have an ability trigger, to compost x.
  • edited June 2020
    @SteampunkDragon I don't think so. Wait, wait, wait, wait, it should be a what? Pay, HUH, and do WHAT? WHAT YOU SAYING?
  • 3: Compost N.
  • Any Thoughts?

Shaded N {Cost} ({Cost}, {T}: Exile this creature. Return it to the battlefield at the beginning of your next combat phase, tapped, and attacking, with an additional N +1/+1 counters on it.)

• No commas in the reminder text bug otherwise I like it a lot! It's somewhat complicated but presents itself in an interesting way.
  • @Temurzoa ;

Conviction -- At the beginning of each combat damage step, if all creatures you control are attacking or blocking, EFFECT.

Some minor wording issues I think I fixed... but I love the flavor and execution of this mechanic.
  • @temurzoa Nice Idea, but I think it should maybe just be only attacking or only blocking

Thoughts?

Alleged (Until your next turn, that player can't play spells, activate abilities of permanents they control, or attack or block. That player and permanents they control  can't be the target of spells or abilities.)

• It almost sounds like a worse Teferi's protection, and like it will loop if it is a keyword.  Seriously, if you are making it like Detain, then put it on a creature similar to Lyev Skynight, all you do is flicker it, and you can make it so that you are the only one to do anything...
    I wouldn't make this a keyword... this looks more like a six mana card in monowhite.

Here's mine.
    Misting X (This card enters the battlefield with X
    time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep
    each turn, remove a time counter from it. When the
    last time counter is removed, return it to it's owners
    hand.)
    I wanted something a bit better than vanishing/fading.  
  • I think my favorite one is Shaded, especially in a Theros-like set with enter the battlefield matters.
  • @DrakeGladis I love the ability! It seems like a fun and awesome version of fading or vanishing.
    I the love the idea.

Nice job!
  • edited June 2020
    Thoughts on the Alliance mechanic?

At Her Majestys Behest At Her Majestys Behest At Her Majestys Behest At Her Majestys Behest At Her Majestys Behest
  • edited June 2020
    Absolutely love it @Temurzoa, it's a great commander mechanic, but two suggestions(The last one is unnecessary):
    1. New name, I feel like alliance feels more like a white mechanic, maybe something like Legacy or Leadership?
    2. Okay, don't know if this actually is a problem, as I don't play brawl, but if commanders in brawl aren't commanders(Which they may be), change the wording to work with brawl.

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/daring-assassination
This discussion has been closed.