Sam? Sam? What, your name isn't Sam? It's Samurai! **Circuit Challenge**

Comments

• @Usaername
    Think you pinged the wrong person here.

Uh, no it's not. I just used google translate on thematically-related english words until I found one I liked the sound of ^^;
  • @Nicol__Bolas whoops, looks like I did ping the wrong person, haha. Ah yes, the old google translate technique. Works like a charm, really. I've used in on many an occasion
  • I'm terrible at character names myself, honestly. Hopefully I'll get a grip on it as I design on here more. ^^
  • Closed for judging!
  • edited April 2021
    There will be five honorable mentions!

2 in part 1. 
    2 in part 2.
    And 1 in part 3.

Then I will announce 1-3rd place in three seperate comments.

• Part 1

HM No.1:
    Familial Katana by @mmm3creator

I quite like this card, but there's a few issues.

1. At the end of the flavour text, you're missing a full stop.
    2. It doesn't seem balanced to me. {2}{w} for a 2/2 with Bushido, plus being able to grant anything else +1/+1 and Bushido 1 is pretty OP for {2}{w}. Make it {2}{w}{w} or {3}{w}.
    3. Just flavorwise, shouldn't the Samurai already have a Bushido ability since that's kind of the Samurai mechanic?

Nice!

HM No.2
    Champion's Katana by @AboveAndAbout

I like this card! It's nice art selection, too. 

But.....
    1. I don't like your use of provoke. Samurai are meant to be tactful and elegant, not the 'battle-lunatic' theme provoke embodies. 
    2. It seems busted to me, especially in a Samurai deck, with provoke. Make it Equip {5}
    3.Try to credit the artist!

• Part 2

HM No.3
    Fight Until the End by @feralitator

Nice! Also reflecting the samurai's 'fearlessness' in an interesting form.

Of course, I have issues.
    1. It seems very OP. {2}{w} for like, maybe +7/+7 while blocking. It is slightly situational but still very tipped. I'd make it {4}{w} .
    2. As I said above, Fight Until the End is very powerful. Maybe make it uncommon?

HM No.4 
    Saya, Calming Samurai by @SpellPiper2213

I hate planeswalkers but you made a samurai planeswalker look awesome! Really nice!

Now, the constructive critisicm. 
    1. The only thing I'd say is make it {4}{w}, since if you get it to ult things get crazy. 

• Part 3 

Alright, final HM! (No.5)
    @Jadefire

ReAlLy CoOl! I personally really like Orochi, snake samurai is such an interesting concept! I don't know why it has trample, it looks a bit more 'stealthy' to me. Of course, a minor gripe, everyone does things like that.
  • Part 4-

3rd place

Battleworn Veteran by @Red_Tower

Really nice!!!! I love the set but this was by far my favourite!

A simple uncommon and a lovely, peaceful samurai card! I'm slightly confused about the flavor text, though....
  • Part 5 -
    2nd place

Second place goes to @SpellPiper2213 with Samurai of the Boar!
     Samurai of the Boar
    From the cards people make me, my personality and my username, I've made  the boar kind of my trrademark animal, (Even though rats are my fave, I didn't call myself TheDukeOfRats.) so I love this! I see no issues, but I prefered the entry at top spot....so, this made it at 2nd!

And here comes the winner......

• Part 6 -

1ST PLACE!

AnD tHe WiNnErR!!!!!!!!!!!

@Usaername with Kazunao, Ruthless General//Yama, Steadfast Sensei!!1
    Yama, Steadfast Sensei        Kazunao, Ruthless Genera
    Yama Steadfast Sensei
    Kazunao Ruthless General
    Okay, last entry, but the absolute best. I love all bushido cards, but these two pleased me greatly. The opposing themes renegade >> vigilant-teacher are very well built. If these were real cards they would be prime descision for samurai/bushido commanders! 

• Thanks for participating in my Bushido challenge!!!!!!!
  • @thedukeofpork Thanks for your challenge! Great Job everyone!
  • Thanks @TheDukeOfPork for sponsoring this contest to give a very worthy mechanic some extra time in the spotlight.  I agree with your feedback.  On further thought, trample does seem out of a Samurai's wheelhouse.  I believe I was thinking that after a while, giving Senku any extra instances of Bushido would just be overkill and redundant, so the trample was to combo with the Lure ability to not have all that extra buffing go to waste.  Chalk it up to working within the colour pie and designing around a mechanic but failing to consider the card as a whole.

Congratulations to the winners!

Please feel free to put the favourite on anything you like: https://www.mtgcardsmith.com/user/Jadefire/cards
  • Having a challenge based around an ability word was very fun! I'm glad you liked Yama and Kazunao. For my favorites, please favorite whatever you think is cool. For the gifted favorites, I have no specific request, but I think it'd be nice to give them to cards who have neat ideas, even if there is some balance/formatting/syntax errors
  • Thanks for hosting @TheDukeOfPork, great job everyone.
  • Thanks for the feeback!
    As far #3  flavor idea is some completely unskilled but rightful heir is picking up the blade.  The wielder has the position and duties of Samurai but not yet the training.  Fortunately magic sword with ancestor spirits allow him to borrow their skill in battle. 

A Samurai would has survived a few battles and come to possess skills to match the blade would then lend it to a younger member of the family.

As a contrast in another culture.  I saw silly movie with a leprechaun once and it was revealed that the youngest member of the family is the one with the strongest bond to the family luck.  Because they are the youngest, the weakest in most things, and need it the most.
  • @Jadefire ;

I favorited Divided Research (https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/divided-research?list=user)

@Usaername
    I'm super glad you enjoyed my contest!!!!

I faved Yama and Kazuano, for a start!

Then the other two went on your other entries! (Hasami and Rotten Ronin)

I will make the cards for the winners in order!
  • @TheDukeOfPork thanks for the contest! It was fun. Thanks for the feedback on the cards. Feel free to favorite any cards of mine you like. For the gift of favorites, give them to some of the other cards that entered that you liked.
  • @SpellPiper2213

Okay! 

I'll favourite Samurai of the Boar and Alchemical Regrowth (https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/alchemical-regrowth?list=user)

I decide the gifts later!
  • Congrats to everyone who won! And good job to everyone else who submitted entries, a lot of really good cards were submitted.
  • I loved everyone's entries!!!
  • Almost forgot to come back to this! Thank you for hosting the challenge @TheDukeOfPork, bushido is often regarded as a poorly received mechanic because of the general way it plays, but even WotC considered reusing it under a different name for Eldraine.
    As far as cards go, feel free to browse and favorite any cards you like from this collection of my personal favorites: https://mtgcardsmith.com/user/Red_Tower/sets/60563
  • @SpellPiper2213

Here's your card!

The Mystical Spell Piper
    Hope you like it!

@Red_Tower, I faved Battleworn Veteran and Skyshroud Bastion! (https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/skyshroud-bastion?list=set&set=60563)

For @Usaername and Red_Tower, your cards are still underway!
  • .Circuit Points have been awarded!
  • @Usaername

Here is your card!
    Usaer Bane of the Malakir
  • @Red_Tower
    Sorry for taking so long, but here is your card!
    Der Blazemage
  • @TheDukeOfPork You forgot the power and toughness...