Design Yourself

So, I wanted to make a Planeswalker card that would represent myself, then use it in casual commander games with my friends. Problem is, I'm having trouble making a good one, so I'm hoping to see some others, and maybe that'll help me out in making my own.

Contest rules:
1 - All entries must be a Legendary Creature or Planeswalker, with the intention that they would be played as a Commander.
2 - All entries must be balanced.
3 - The entry should be designed with you in mind, meaning feel free to incorporate some of your personal life (for example, if you play soccer it could have a +1 ability to create a 0/1 colorless soccerball artifact creature token, and a -2 maybe that sacrifices those artifacts to deal damage or something.)
4 - Max 1 entry per person. How can you make multiple versions of yourself anyway?
5 - Balancing is key. I hate when cards are unbalanced and don't make sense.
6 - The card should look good. While I don't care about the art, the text should be fitting inside of the box, made to look like a real MTG card, and if there's enough space there should be flavor text (on Legendary Creatures only).
7 - Bonus points if you include a BRIEF (1-3 sentences) explanation when you post your entry on how it relates to you.

Prizes:
1st Place: Up to 3 likes, if I like your stuff.
2nd Place: Up to 2 likes, if I like your stuff.
3rd Place: Up to 1 like, if I like your stuff.

Honorable Mentions: If I like your entry, then I'll like it. Just because you get a place doesn't mean you'll get an honorable mention, and just because you get an honorable mention doesn't mean your entry fits my contest placing things.

Tournament will end on April 1. Entries on that date will be auto-disqualified, so the last day for entries is also the last day of March.

Comments

• Here's a transforming flip-walker of me (see comments for the other side). It's based on me in my Magic Sets, so there's quite a bit of lore, but let's keep it simple. I'm an "imagination mage" with the ability to tamper with existence itself! As such, I can perform many powerful techniques, whether I'm sealing someone's fate through chronomancy, bringing things into and out of existence, and even sending forth an army from another realm! Note the text is messed up a bit on the walker side, but that's because of a lack of space. Also, take the art on the walker with a grain of salt. I just got access to photoshop and the card is from December!!!
  • edited March 2016
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/lujik-ul-the-scorned
    The name took forever. But I've always enjoyed the idea of being able to do what I want and wreaking havoc with multiple creatures and recycle effects. I also enjoy dragging matches out, torturing my opponents with a small mercy only to show that I always have the upper hand. Plus, I REALLY like green/black.
  • So far your entries look really good.

@NicoStoner if you could edit your entry post and explain that Split Soul mechanic that would be great. If it's really old I won't get it since I've only been playing on and off since Return to Ravnica, so explain anyway. No penalties, just want to know what it does.
  • http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/terin-supreme-commander?list=user When I asked people to describe me in Magic colors they said I was red white I like just going for face I can go long or go in doesn't matter I will get the job done
  • edited March 2016
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/spiritus-mortis?list=user

TL;DR: This card captures my sociopathic tendencies in every way, shape, and form. I based it on exile and made it black to show how my personality can get with these tendencies, and I made my loyalty so low to show how little I care about other human beings. This is also the reason I chose a non-human planeswalker.

I am a sociopath, I don't try to hide it. Although mild with the tendencies I do have signs of them in my every day life, such as my lack of emotion in almost every moment. I tried to capture this as a card by having exiling be my card's function, and black being my color of choice.
    Exiling a non-land from graveyard and drawing a card, the reason I have this as an effect to describe myself is to focus on my lack of care for the deceased and sick. Anything that has died or is fatally sick just wasn't meant to make the cut, what happens happens.
    Destroying my own library with my +0 effect is to represent my forgetfulness. I am terrible at remembering things, and not by accident either. I purposely try not to remember useless knowledge, and this effect captures that perfectly.
    Finally, my ultimate -3 skill of exiling a target creature from my library and making a token with the same stats. This is here because of my habit of going for a group think mentality most of the time. As a sociopath, I'm beyond the normal meaning of "anti-social" where I stay to myself. I actually try to fit in, but I fake every ounce of it to get closer to my goal. Whether this is a friendship or some ploy to get free stuff, it's usually a ruse I use. This is an embodiment of that ruse. By throwing out any intention to use the proper card, I mold myself to the idea of gaining all it's advantages in the process.

And finally, loyalty. I start off with 1 in this, which is really easy to get rid of. This was for balance purposes as well as the fact I'm usually not loyal to anyone but my closest inner circle of friends. Unless you make me care by not only tolerating me for so long but also embracing my flaws, I won't care about you. Plain and simple, this Planeswalker is the closest I can get to my sociopathic tendencies in card form.
  • edited March 2016
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/titanis-the-earthshaper?list=user

It's a simple straight forward card, just as I am a simple straight forward person. Designed primarily for beating down opponents and pressing an early field advantage, this planeswalker is about as close to me as it gets: be direct and aggressive to your opponents to defeat them as soon as possible.

EDIT: BTW, this is the artist. I own nothing relating to the art in this card. http://tnounsy.deviantart.com/art/the-earth-elemental-404869953
  • Because I played on the side of the Mirran resistance when Mirrodin Besieged was released (my first fnm I ever went to) and because I love Melira. In my au the Mirrans survive to retake or escape from New Phyrexia, goblin war driver's and signal pests leading the charge.. http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/saveria-vulshok-outcast-2?list=user

I have never played commander so I don't know how she would work for that.
  • Decent batch of entries, I like them.

@saveria201 Yeah it's not the best card for a commander deck, unless you somehow had a means of putting -1/-1 counters on your own things, or something else that would benefit creatures with undying. It's also one color so it would definitely limit your options with a Commander Deck. Still, that's not the main focus. Really it's about designing yourself but keeping in mind that this would effectively be a card you would use in a casual game or whatever with the idea that it is you, as it represents your playstyle.
  • I don't think I'd be powerful enough to be a planeswalker. Maybe a kobold of Kher Keep.
  • @strongbelieves Lol. You don't believe you are strong?
  • @crucibleofhate No, just my believes are strong.
  • @strongbelieves Then you could be some kind of powerful cleric or cathar :D
  • There are so many fun ways I could answer the "Who am I?" question in magic, since I play just about anything and everything that isn't/hasn't been meta (although I've done some of that too). I think I'll go with a pillow fort card this time, 'cause I generally play control / neutral / group hug / leave-me-alone-or-I'll-slaughter-you styles. For that reason, Baokai, Barrier Mage will be my personal incarnation this time around. However, this happens to be an older card. I don't think it's a requirement, but I'll make a completely new card if you want me to.
  • http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/john-impoverished-student
    So I just decided to use a picture of myself, kinda lame but whatever.
    I'm a uni student, which is why I'm the impoverished student (I'm also poor as hell :P)
    The procrastinate ability is obvious enough, I have a big procrastination problem lol.
    The tap ability is just dedicated to my love of dogs. And since I love domesticated dogs, they need a human to look after them if they're summoned via my 1 less mana cost, so they die without a human on your field.
  • Cool entries guys. Also, only one week left in the challenge. If you want to enter, do so!
  • Ok, so my entry is this:
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/mendus-cryptwalker?list=user
    I chose red and black, because I started with a Jund deck(in shards of alara) but I also had a monoblack zombie-deck.
    Since zombies are more Grixis-i I went with black and red, without the blue.

So a bit about myself, I'm pretty much always home and my friends sometimes call my gaming den the crypt(figures) so obviously they must take me for a zombie, but I tag along for many events with them.
  • My card: http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/bradley-he-who-hopes?list=user
    I designed this card to give hope, then learn failure. A lot of times in life, I have got settled in a new home, found great new friends, then had to lose all of that and move away. So, I want this card to show that things can go great in life, (or a game of Magic) but then ending up to be all for nothing.
    Thanks,
    Bradley
  • edited March 2016
    I have to say, I think I copied myself pretty well here, and I made it realistic too
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/leo-the-great-protector
  • @ZendikarIncarnate as long as it's balanced in terms of gameplay, unglued is perfectly fine.

Also, good entries guys. Only a few more days left then I'll check these bad boys. Remember that March 31st is the last day for entries to be accepted. Any entries on April 1 will be disqualified as that's the day I begin judging, so if you have been checking the thread, or are seeing it for the first time, enter before the entries are closed!
  • edited March 2016
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/grayson-night-prowler
    This is my card. It is crazy awesome, and the art is Sorin Markov from M12. I look completely different though. I just love Sorin's Art in all of his cards. Thanks, TheAmericanJedi

PS- The -3 ability may be a little OP and the +2 sort of bleeds into the box. Yea. Sorry.
  • Alright so, dropped the ball on doing all the judging on the first. Still, I'll judge them later today or tomorrow, not to worry.
  • edited April 2016
    The following are the finalists, I'll determine a top three from among them soon enough.

@Cnatch
    @LeoVeracruse
    @liftinggravity
    @Mendus
    @cadstar369
    @ArcaneCondensing
    @NicoStoner

To all the rest: great entries all around. I will however say that @Tommia gets an honorable mention for making a good card. However, it's not really what I was looking for. Still, well done nevertheless.

Finalists: if you would like to edit your entries before I do my final judging, you have until this Friday, April the 8th, 2016, to do so. After that time I'll look at your most recent entry post in the thread for purposes of final judging.
  • Alright, no revisions then. I'll judge and award the prize likes this weekend. Thanks for participating all!
This discussion has been closed.