Mechanix Challenge - Ten

84 years ago, @Corwinnn, @MrRansom, and @Tomigon started a project called TheMechanix. Now, its secret is revealed. It is where we organize all custom keyword mechanics posted to Mechanic Encyclopedia for ALL.

For Mechanix Challenge - Ten
We would like you to choose a custom keyword mechanic from THIS SET: http://mtgcardsmith.com/user/TheMechanix/sets/13738
and make an incredible card that uses it.

In Mechanix Challenge Ten, the focus is on Keyword Abilities - Triggered
Mechanix Challenge - Ten features mechanics from @cadstar369, @HIM, @Fury59, @KimJongMartin, @Noobplayzgames, @GodFerretGaming, @Corwinnn, @Animist, and @Gateways7

CRITERIA
Presentation, art selection, templating, spelling, balance, usefulness and flavor.

Limit of fifteen entries per person.
Deadline in 1 week : Oct. 3rd
*Top 3 winners will get a super amazing -TROPHY- and added to -HALL OF FAME- !
*Winners may choose a mechanic from Mechanic Encyclopedia for ALL. They will be used in Mechanix Challenge eleven or twelve!

Comments

• edited September 2016
    Here is a list of all 15 mechanics, and don't forget, you can see examples of them all in this set! - http://mtgcardsmith.com/user/TheMechanix/sets/13738

Mistform by cadstar369
    Mistform (Whenever this creature becomes blocked, you may untap it and remove it from combat.)

Absorb N by HIM
    Absorb N (When this creature enters the battlefield, you may move N counters from another permanent that shares a card type with it to this creature.)
    Alternate keyword idea : "Rapport" & "Bleed"

Slayer by Fury59
    Slayer (Whenever this creature blocks or is blocked by monstrous creature or legendary creature, this creature gets +2/+0 and gains first strike until end of turn.)

Trove by KimJongMartin
    Trove (Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, create a colorless Treasure artifact token. It has "Sacrifice this token: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.")
    *A Pirate mechanic

Reflective by Noobplayzgames
    Reflective (Whenever this creature becomes a target of a spell or ability, you may choose new targets for that spell or ability.)

Sandstorm by Noobplayzgames
    Sandstorm (At the beginning each end step, put a sandstorm counter on this permanent. Whenever this creature attacks, put a token that's a copy of it onto the battlefield tapped and attacking for each sandstorm counter on it. Sacrifice those copies at the end of combat.)

Draining by Noobplayzgames
    Draining (Whenever this creature deals damage to a creature, you gain that much life, and that creature can't attack, block, or activate its abilities during its controller's next turn.)

Rush (formerly Surge) by Noobplayzgames
    Surge (Whenever this creature attacks, look at the top card of your library. You may put it into your hand, onto the bottom of your library, or into your graveyard.)

Penetrating N by Noobplayzgames
    Penetrating N (Whenever this creature is blocked, it deals N damage to defending player.)

Battle forged by GodFerretGaming
    Battle forged (Whenever this creature is blocked, it gains first strike until end of turn.)

Destructive by GodFerretGaming
    Destructive (Whenever this creature attacks, sacrifice a land.)

Deathgaze by Corwinnn
    Deathgaze (Whenever a creature without deathgaze blocks or is blocked by this creature, flip a coin. If you win the flip, destroy that creature.)

Promote by Animist
    Promote (Whenever a creature you control leaves the battlefield, if that creature had greater power or toughness than this creature, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature.)

Shockwave by Gateways7
    Shockwave (When this creature enters the battlefield, it deals 1 damage to each creature and each opponent.)

Elder by Corwinnn
    Elder (Whenever this creature deals damage to another creature, put a bite counter on that creature. It becomes a Vampire in addition to its other types.)
  • So, what's the new name for Surge gonna be?

Perhaps Revelation, Inspiration, Epiphany?
  • Maybe @Noobplayzgames has a suggestion!
  • No offense to anyone, but I'm thinking that some of these mechanics aren't too great and if your going to reuse some mechanics from old contests that were barely used, maybe you should use some from even older ones, which for instance, my favorite, low-flying.
  • We're just using the ones from The Mechanic Encyclopedia for ALL, we're not picking them from challenges. If you have some ideas or suggestions, we're always looking at ways to make improvements, and we're also trying to find out which ones people like the most.
    @Looverse would be happy to know you like Low-flying, but it's a static ability, so it won't be in the triggered challenges, although it may make an appearance in a future challenge!
    We've also changed the way the entries work. People can enter 15 cards, but if they don't care for certain mechanics, they can make more of the ones they do like!
  • No, because @Corwinnn, the ______storm has been used for the 3rd time now...
  • Good eye on the _____storm... two slightly different names by two different people but practically identical! I'll switch that one out with a new one!
  • Wait they were made by different people???

*mindblown*
  • Alright! New mechanic added!
    Trove by @KimJongMartin
    Trove (Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, create a colorless Treasure artifact token. It has "Sacrifice this token: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.")
    *A Pirate Mechanic
  • edited September 2016
    @Corwinnn
    "it" should be put in shockwave.
    Shockwave (When this creature enters the battlefield, it deals 1 damage to each creature and each opponent.)
    People often skip it, but it's important because it tells damage source..

@TrippleBoggey3
    We don't skip any of mechanics posted to Encyclopedia because we don't want to disappoint the authors. And if you find reuse, it's the last challenge's winner's favorite. So basically we're not "going to" reuse or control anything. But thanks for your idea. Anyway, truly great cardsmith uses any mechanics in awesome way! And that's what we want to see in Mechanix Challenge!

@Corwinnn
    Nice pick!
  • Oh, I really like Absorb! (Who would have thought that?!?)
  • @Tomigon - Shockwave fixed!
    @Feyamius - Since Absorb is already a thing, it needs a new name, much like Surge. If you want to use it with a *new* name, just make sure to note it, and we can see how people like the new name!
  • edited September 2016
    Aaaargh, damn you, Future Sight! *waving fist in air*
  • Purveyor of Monstrosity, using Slayer

I should probably know at this point but how many entries would you expect/allow per smith?
  • @DomriKade
    As stated above, up to 15.
  • @Faiths_Guide Gracias, amigo/a!

Vedalken Catalyst, using Reflective.
    I'll likely edit one of these posts in the future if I decide to make more so I don't clog up the board.
  • I think I'll rename Absorb to Bleed.
  • @DomriKade
    Amigo will do nicely ;)
  • edited September 2016
    My entry collection:

Absorb/Bleed

Bleed N (When this permanent enters the battlefield, you may move up to N counters from another target permanent that shares a card type with it to this permanent.)

• @Corwinnn a new name for Surge based on the ability itself could be:
    Foresight
    Tactical
    Anticipation

A new name based on the theme from FD could be:
    Rush
    Comprehension
    Realization
  • edited September 2016
    Slayer:

(I realized that this keyword was very Theros based in terms of flavor and functioning, but looking at it reminds me of the Slayers in Innistrad, then my mind got hijacked by glorious Emrakul and this beautiful art. So...)

Draining & Elder:

I combined Draining and Elder into one card because I feel that these two are all very vampiric keywords.

Promote:

• @Noobplayzgames - I like Rush! It still feels like "Surge"
  • @Corwinnn , Could you check the origin of the 'Shockwave' mechanic again? I don't believe it's mine. And I wouldn't want to be given credit for someone else's work.

I checked through the 'Keyword Abilities - Triggered' gallery on the linked 'The Mechanix' project page, but failed to find any cards with a keyword Shockwave on them.

I've also just checked back through my own gallery, just in case my memory was bad, and found nothing there, either.
  • edited September 2016
    @Memnarchitect
    Sorry, it is Gateways7's mechanic. It was nominated by the last challenge's winner, and he credited you by mistake.

@Corwinnn
    Fix it please!
  • edited September 2016
    @Memnarchitect, @Tomigon & @Gateways7 All fixed and proper credit is attributed.
  • First entry with Penetrating by @Noobplayzgames:

I hope this is not too much of a countersense? I can tell by the name that the flavour was closer to Trample's, but I went in a completely different direction x)
This discussion has been closed.