Custom Creatures Encyclopedia

84 years ago... I mean 84 milliseconds ago, @KJMartin and @TrippleBoggey3 planned a Custom Creatures Contest...

How it will Work

Each person may post custom creatures they have made, in the following format:

Color:
Art:
What are they (If it's obscure):
Custom Mechanic specifically for that creature:
Typical P/T:
Typical Abilities/Mechanics:
Flavor:
Anything Else:
Example:

Once I reach my first 8, I will make it into a contest of the form @Corwinnn and @Tomigon's Custom Mechanic Contest works. I give them all credit of this idea.

Thank you for your time!

Comments

• Mine:

Name: Unggoy
    Color Primary: Red
    Color Secondary: Blue
    Color Tertiary: Green
    What are they: Grunts from halo. Cute evil dumb little aliens.
    Custom Mechanic: Cowardice This creature cannot attack or block alone
    Typical P/T: 1/1
    Typical Abilities or Mechanics: Tapping to deal damage + Haste
    Flavor: Little weak guys that love to mess around, like minions from Despicable Me.
    Example: http://mtgcardsmith.com/user/TrippleBoggey3/sets/12227
  • Mine:

Name: Squirrels

Wait... what?
    Already a thing?
    Son of a biscuit!
  • edited January 2017
    Name: Viking

Colors: Red/Black
    Secondary Colors: Green/Blue
    Tertiary Colors: White

Art: Google Viking Art or Viking Fantasy Art. Also, using the event art from Crusader Kings II works well with these guys.

What are they (If it's obscure): Vikings are Nordic Sea Men. They are hardened warriors, intrepid explorers, and traders. Technically, a Viking is only a Viking while they are raiding. The rest of the time they are just Sea Men.

Custom Mechanic specifically for that creature: While I designed my explore mechanic for the vikings, they normally just use the raid mechanic from Khans of Tarkir. They are also allowed to use regular Looting (Draw a card, then discard a card) over red's normal rummaging (Discard a card, then draw a card).

Typical P/T: Depends completely on the CMC of the card. Vikings almost never have a higher toughness than power, but they are allowed an equal P/T.

Typical Abilities/Mechanics: Raid in B/R, Explore in G.

Flavor: Depends on the color. B/R Are raiders, W/U are traders, G are explorers.

Anything Else: Vikings with horns should be avoided. VIKING'S DIDN'T HAVE HORNS!

Examples:
  • edited January 2017
    Thunds

Color: R/U

Art: Any energy or lightning elemental art (Compare to Weirds from Ravnica.)

What are they (If it's obscure): They are humanoid incarnations of energy that draw from a single mysterious energy source that travels from plane to plane and they have no choice but to follow it.

Custom Mechanic specifically for that creature: Pulse (Whenever you can't an instant or sorcery card, you get [e].)

Typical P/T: Usually low (below 4)

Typical Abilities/Mechanics: Flying, prowess, pulse

Flavor: Kind of said it already. They follow their energy source to all kinds of planes collecting rare and powerful relics that they offer to their energy source (Different tribes of Thund have different names for their energy source) Which in turn grants them greater power. They usually come into conflict with other groups (sometimes other Thund tribes) over relics. In conflict for their relic the energy source will give its tribe a Surge to strengthen them.

Anything Else: Nope

Examples:
    imageimageimage
    For more visit this set: http://mtgcardsmith.com/user/Rednaxela/sets/15989
  • edited January 2017
    [Ingredients]

Colors: Black and Green.

Art: Any small, cookable animal such as a bat or toad. Or sentient artifact. Disembodied body parts like Thing are okay.

What are they (If it's obscure): These are ingredients that can be combined together to make powerful spells.

Custom Mechanic specifically for that creature: Harvest (When this creature dies, you may sacrifice any number of creatures that share a creature type with it.)

Typical P/T: 0-2/1-3, aka almost nothing greater than 3

Typical Abilities/Mechanics: Harvest, Self sacrificing, "When this creature dies" abilities. Deathtouch is common. Legendary ingredients can create emblems.

Flavor: Mages and witches of all planes need ingredients for their most potent magical charms and potions. An ingredient can be any animal that is needed to cast a spell or make a potion. But magic is a fickle thing and these ingredients are often very rare and unusual.

Anything Else:This creature type is used in conjunction with other types, much like a class. This can also be a type for colored artifacts. It isn't a tribe unless witches are involved. Legendary ingredients are unusual.

Example:
    imageimageimageimage
  • 4 more, then we can start contest #1!
  • I decided to fill up the 2 spots with 2 of my own.

Shadow

Color: Black
    Art: Misty Shadows
    What are they (If it's obscure): A shadow is a soul that is invisible, except for its shadow.
    Custom Mechanic specifically for that creature: N/A
    Typical P/T: Equal to each other.
    Typical Abilities/Mechanics: Shadow, and giving opponent's creatures shadow.
    Flavor: Mysterious Beings
    Anything Else: N/A
    Example: http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/recurring-shadow, http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/shadowy-figure

Unknown

Color: Black
    Art: Weird dark art. Search up "Dark Art"
    What are they (If it's obscure): Well it's unknown.
    Custom Mechanic specifically for that creature: Mystery (You may exile this card from your hand. At the beginning of your upkeep, each opponent may put it onto the battlefield under your control.)
    Typical P/T: At least 5/5
    Typical Abilities/Mechanics: Deathtouch, negative effects.
    Flavor: Extremely dark and mysterious beings.
    Anything Else: N/A
    Example: http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/darkness-in-roots
  • edited January 2017
    @TrippleBoggey3 Question, can you make a common Unknown? All Nipple Academy professors take this very seriously.
  • @IanLowenthal

All requests need to be through a proper form. Please have the professors file one with my secretary, @KJMartin.

He's not going to be happy when he sees this.
    xD

I'll be making common cards for each when we start our first contest.
  • edited January 2017
    Plastines

Color: Black and Blue
    Art: Golem-like artifact creatures that are made of plastic. They are often brightly coloured.
    What are they (If it's obscure): These are creatures that have been popping up all over Dominaria, and it is suspected that they are the legions of a new antagonist. They grow out of areas with lots of oil and they are extremely hard to destroy.
    Custom Mechanic specifically for that creature: Amalgate (At the beginning of your combat step, you may tap any number of plastine creatures you control. This creature gets +X/+0 until the end of turn, where X is the combined power of creatures tapped this way.)
    Typical P/T: Their toughness is always greater than their power.
    Typical Abilities/Mechanics: Indestructible, Hexproof, Amalgate. They often have activated abilities, which you often have to do a negative effect, like discarding a card or losing life to activate. They do not have dying triggers.
    Flavor: See above.
    Anything Else: These are always colorless artifacts, but they can and should have colored ability costs. These can have tribal benefits, but they should boost their toughness more than their power. Don't overdo this.
    Example: http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/unnatural-flitter
  • 1 more to go, than we can start contest #1!
  • I'll enter another one soon if no one else does first.
  • edited January 2017

Aurumon

Aurum is latin for gold.

Color: White, Red

Art: Soldiers covered in gold (Make sure their faces are covered unless they have gold faces.

What are they (If it's obscure): Humanoids made out of gold.

Custom Mechanic specifically for that creature: Goldsword (Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, create a colorless artifact token named Gold with "Sacrifice this artifact: add one mana of any color to your mana pool.")

Typical P/T: Any, not too high though.

Typical Abilities/Mechanics: First strike, vigilance, defender, goldsword, menace

Flavor: Coming soon

Example:
    imageimage
  • Here's mine!
    Name: Manaborn
    Color: Green
    Art: They look like forest and nature elementals
    What are they: Elementals made completely from mana by the manachargers.
    Custom Mechanic specifically for that creature: Manacharge (Add {g} to your mana pool for each of your opponents)
    Typical P/T: Can range anywhere from 1/1 to 8/8, just make sure that any extremely large ones are explained with how a mana charger made something so powerful.
    Typical Abilities/Mechanics: They normally, as I said, have manacharge abilities, and if they don't they'll have some sort of tribal.
    Flavor: They are made by the manachargers, mages of, you guessed it, mana, and they protect the forest and each other.
    Example:
    imageimage
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/manaborn-defender?list=set&set=16279
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/soul-of-the-forest-10?list=set&set=16279
  • It's a shame there aren't any more creature types being listed here. I'd like to see @Faiths_Guide's "young" and "Lithorian" creature types listed here!
  • And by the way @TrippleBoggey3, I'm not a secretary but in fact Professor of Strange Creatures at the University of Smithia.
  • @KJMartin - Isn't that akin to being Professor of Defense Against the Dark Arts?
  • what does bump mean
  • @TomIsAmazing

It means to move a thread back up to the front of the page.
  • Name: Merchant
    Color: W/B
    Custom Mechanics:
    Income N (At the beginning of your upkeep, create N colorless tokens named gold...)
    Invest N ({N}{t}: Roll a 6 sided die. Add that much mana to your mana pool.)
  • The disgruntled beard on that merchant is humorous! He looks so stern. XD
  • "Which one of you miscreants stole my butter!?"
  • Sorry, I stick to margarine! XD
  • Name: Rider
    Colour: Any
    Art: Preferably something riding something else.
    What are they: Basically a creature type all cards with "Mount" have, generally riding something.
    Custom mechanic: Mount {COST} ({COST}: Mount this creature on target creature you control. They remain mounted on each other until either leaves the battlefield.)
    "Creature type" mount is most common, however.
    Typical P/T: Can be wildly varying, although is most commonly quite low.
    Flavour: The rider hops on something else and starts riding it.
    Example: http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/skyswallow-dragonrider?list=set&set=17825
  • @KJMartin Isn't that a knight?
  • 5 more creatures and we can start round 2!
  • Is round 1 finished?
  • Judgining right now.
This discussion has been closed.