It's already time for the fourth round of...
The premise of this contest is simple:
1) It follows the original GDS3 challenges
. You can find the original challenges HERE!
2) You only need to design half the cards
compared to the original rules (usually going from 8-10 to 4-5 cards). I adapted the rules accordingly.
3) A little twist
has been added to each challenge so people who followed the GDS3 can't come too prepared.
4) No elimination
, you can skip any round or jump in at any moment.
Without further ado, let's jump to the challenge:
__________HALF-CHALLENGE 4: FINDING A GOOD MECHANIC
You can find the rules of the original challenge HERE!
I took them and cut them in half:THE HALF-RULES:
1) You must design 4 cards.
2) You are going to design a brand-new keyword mechanic or ability word. You will have to name it and figure out its rules text and reminder text.
3) You must make one card of each rarity (common, uncommon, rare, mythic rare).
4) You must use at least two colors.
5) No more than one of your cards may be multicoloured.
6) Other than your new mechanic, you may use only evergreen mechanics (which do not include deciduous mechanics).
But that's not all. To prevent people who already did the full original challenge from having too much of a head start, I added... a twist.
7) I added a flavour restriction to the kind of mechanic you can make: YOUR MECHANIC MUST BE TAILORED AROUND AN EXISTING FACTION OF MTG. ALL YOUR CARDS MUST BE FLAVOURED AROUND THAT FACTION AND SYNERGIZE WITH ITS PREVIOUS APPEARANCES
. Furthermore, two participants can't choose the same faction, you can claim your faction in the comments. First come, first served.
You can find a list of all factions of MTG in this official article from Mark Rosewater:
Note that the article is up-to-date as it was published after the release of Dominaria (which doesn't have factions) and the only factions the Guilds of Ravnica block brought us are already included in the list because of older sets. Please do not use the undefined factions of Eventide and the silver-bordered factions of Unstable.[EDIT] FACTIONS ALREADY CLAIMED:
from Alara — bnew07
from Alara — Bowler218
from Ravnica — Ranshi922
• THE BRAZEN COALITION (PIRATES)
from Ixalan — Faiths_Guide
from Innistrad — DomriKade
• THE LEGION OF DUSK (VAMPIRES)
from Ixalan — ouser94501
from Ravnica — Derfaulehelmut
• FAERIES AND MERFOLKS
from Lorwyn — kandra127
from Ravnica — Potato13
• THE KAMI
from Kamigawa — LeSelton
• THE MORTALS
from Kamigawa — KorandAngels
from Innistrad — Undead
• RIVER HERALDS (MERFOLKS)
from Ixalan — TheCenterOfTheUniverse
• WEREWOLVES & WOLVES
from Innistrad — SmallJem
from Tarkir — sanjaya666
• THE ELDRAZI
from Zendikar — Netherin5
from Tarkir — LyndonF
Here are some additional information for the contest:OLD CARDS ARE:
Allowed, as long as they fit within the restrictionsFORMAT:
Design cards for an undefined Standard-legal setTEXT-ONLY CARDS ARE:
Allowed, but you must link the illustration that would go with it. DEADLINE:
Sunday, April 7th (Updated +1 day)MINIMUM REWARDS:
- 1st place — 5 favourites of their choice
- 2st place — 3 favourites of their choice
- 3st place — 1 favourite of their choice
We're definitely going higher and higher in difficulty as these challenges go. There are many factors into what makes a good mechanic: does it have a lot of design space, is it backward compatible, does it inspire new decks, is it fun in density, does it work well in Limited, etc. I strongly advise looking at the original challenge rules, as they give in-depths explanation about it. There are 81 factions to choose from, I'm confident you can find the one that suits your favourite custom mechanic of yours. Don't hesitate to bend the faction colours a little if needed, especially when you need to fit the "at least two colours" rules.
Good luck everyone, let the fourth round of the HALF-GDS3 begin! =D