Contest ideas.

123457»

Comments

• @TrippleBoggey3

Exactly - that's why I'm not making it.

I think I may just leave the Incella Project...It's not going well. I'll start another collaboration set soon.
  • @TrippleBoggey3

Also, I have lots of time. We get little homework here, and I don't really have many clubs (disregarding hardman 'chess club') after school or anything like that.
  • @KJMartin

"You win the game." Make a card with an alternate win/lose con.
    - Cards that do this generally have to suck, like Azor's Elocutors or Biovisionary. They are supposed to suck, because otherwise who would want to play Magic if someone is just going to end the game?

10 (Numbers Contest.) Make a card with the number 10 somewhere - in its P/T, mana cost, rules text, flavor text, name, ect.
    - Probably too general. There are contests out there that ask for a certain P/T or CMC already.

Duel Decks Series Where I give two 'decks' (Mirran vs. Phyrexian) for example, and people make cards for each of them. The winning 'team' gets prizes.
    - Not a bad idea, though for that specific example, Mirrans vs. Phyrexians was the plot of the entire SOM block.

Ongoing Mechanics Challenges Where you make a card with a mechanic from the encyclopedia, then name another mechanic from there. The next person makes a card with that mechanic ect.
    - This kind of mixes the mechanix challenges with the trailing challenges. Could be interesting.

Stories of the Multiverse Where you create a card which, through the artwork, flavor text, name and flavor tell an interesting story.
    - Most people aren't very good at story. Could be worth a shot.

Make an Enchantment Tribal Card The name says it all.
    - Tribal anything might be nice.

[Sigh] Normal Animals. Make a card of a non-human real-life animal.
    - Booooooooooring.

Creatureshifted Make a creature out of color.
    - This was sort of the idea with Khans block and dragons. I'm also trying something similar with angels/demons personally. It can turn out well for people who understand what colors and creature types are meant to represent and horribly for those that don't.

Politics, Politics, and but more Politics Make a political card.
    - I'm assuming you mean an in-game political card, like the voting cards from Conspiracy. That is fun. If you mean real life politics, no.

Lailia, the Dreampool - a world orbiting another plane. Every few years, the two worlds collide and chaos is unleashed.
    - This is sort of the plot of Lorwyn/Eventide
  • @strongbelieves

To clarify:

- The politics one meant MtG voting-like politics.
    - The duel decks thing, yes, was just a bad example.
    - The animals thing is quite boring. Could be interesting tho.
    - I'd clarify creature colors for the creatureshifed thing.
    - The win game thing is true.
  • Poll

Rule for poll: The poll ends when all of the following people answer the question: @KJMartin, @Faiths_Guide, @Corwinnn, @kltmtg29, @Tomigon, because they enter the most contests around here. However, all others are welcome too.

I've noticed that my contests receive much less interest that other more orthodox contests. So...

Do you prefer my weird contests, or the more orthodox contests others make? Why?
  • It depends what you mean by 'weird'. Is it weird and fun, like the dragons' maze and the citizens one? Or is it weird for the sake of being weird, like some of your other ones (the grunt and the really complicated one you made at the start)?
  • By weird I mean m flavor based ones (Citizens, sadness, poetry) and my Dragon's Maze
  • Then I like the weird ones.
  • @TrippleBoggey3 I like the weird ones personally. I loved that Poetry and Personification Contest, for example. It was one of my favorite contests I've done.
  • @TrippleBoggey3
    I think flavor based contests and Dragon's Maze contest(?) are totally different.

To me, the reason Dragon Maze receive much less interest is very simple: It's too complex.

Your flavor based contests seem good to me. I think they receive enough interests. I think the reason they get less entries than "orthodox" ones is just because they are more difficult. I think it's good to have one or two that difficult(weird you say) contests in the front page of forum.

I don't know how many entries you want in your contests, but if a contest get ten entries, I think it's already a good one.
  • I've got a crazy idea I was thinking about: an ongoing contest called 'Finish That Card' . How does it work, you ask?

You finish off a card found in this set: http://mtgcardsmith.com/user/KJExtras/sets/16912

So with this card, you finish off the name, use the artwork given (the art link will be in the card comments), finish off the first ability, the cost of which has to be tapping, and finish off the second ability. The _______ bit is the place for you to put in whatever you want. The amount of characters doesn't have to match the amount of _____. I could have given other things though, say the flavor text. Or I could of not given the art at all.

I could, say, turn this:

image Into this: image

Thoughts? (There will be more than one unfinished card in the set when I make it.)

• @KJMartin
    Hmmmmmm... I wouldn't be interested in that. But others might be!
  • @Faiths_Guide You never know. I might make an unfinished card with such a cool artwork/name/flavor text you couldn't resist! XD
  • @KJMartin That seems awesome! I think it would be cool if you interjected stuff in the underscores, so it would be like:
    _________ Demon __B

Flying, _______

Whenever ________ _______s, destroy __________ ____________ _________ _______ and _____ _________

As long as __________, if _____________________ ___________ __________ demon _____________ ____________ 6 _______ ________ ____ spell _______ ________.
  • What do y'all think of this contest idea (please don't make it):

Call it something like 'Finish That Passage' or 'The Cardsmith Chronicles'.

The contest is I when I write a passage for something, or take something from another poem/book, and then leave it unfinished. You then have to, say, put the creature's name in or something.

Let's say the first passage was:

'Tharak ran through the forest. Faggots and twigs of wood broke beneath his feet. It was all so, so...So unreal. An hour ago, where had he been? Oh yes, yes, in his father's hut, in front of the warm fire, when the man came knocking on their door...His guardian had went to go and get it for him. He had been laughing. Tharak had just told him a joke - some irrelevant, unfunny satire about the state of the Lord's ideas of politics.

His old life was behind him now, however. Nothing was real now, apart from the waves of pain shooting through his body, and the creatures who were coming for him...'*

Then you would finish the passage, and make a card of the finished bit. Let's say he was being hunted down by a Centaur Knight I would finish writing it (the story doesn't have to be very good, mainly the card) and put in details about an angry centaur pack coming after him. I'd stress how the finishing bit can only be a couple of sentences long. So I could finish with:

'And then he was tripping on an exposed root. He went flying, before finally slamming down upon the path, as the centaurs closed in upon him.'

*Of course I would use a better passage than this for the actual contest. This is something I, quite literally, made this up as I was writing it.

• *Although my ending was a bit rubbish.
  • I have an idea:

I write a story, in segments, and then people can claim a segment and make a card for it.

What do you think?
  • @TrippleBoggey3 Yeah, that sounds really fun and cool, but it seems really, really hard to set up.
  • How?

I mean, I'm a writer...

Not really, but I consider myself one.
  • @TrippleBoggey3 It just seems like it would take a really long time to write a whole story, while also segmenting it well and making sure a card can be made with it.
  • @TrippleBoggey3
    I kind of basically suggested that idea above, writing a story and having people make cards for it.
    We could share the contest if you really want? That way it would be less work for both of us, and we would be combining both of our ideas. I kept on meaning to make the above contest, but never got to it... :(
  • @KJMartin

Well, sorry, but I would prefer my own story.

I'm going to make it after I finish writing my 47 page prologue. I'm on page 2 BTW.
  • Another idea:

King of the Hill.

I make a thread for people to sign up, let's say 20, and I make a list of people. The first 2 battle it out, and the winner stays, and the next in line faces him/her.

We could also make it ongoing so that if you lose, your name goes on the bottom.
  • @TrippleBoggey3 Yeah, it should be ongoing, because if you're the first person, you have to win 20 times, whereas if you're the last person, you have to win once...
  • Well, I've already started writing the contest above, so I think I'm going to be the one making it.
  • @KJMartin

Frick!

You get it this time!

But next time we get same ideas, I get to make it.
This discussion has been closed.