Magus of the BLANK **Circuit Challenge** FINISHED

1235»

Comments

• @twighlight8 cheers, and may the best mage win
  • edited December 2019
    @twighlight8 Awesome!
  • @twilight8 Darn! I had thought of another design and then realized you already started judging. Is it okay if I enter another card? I understand if I can’t...
  • Wait, judging started?!
    I was busy with finales and was hoping to get these done today (I was under the impression the last day to enter was the 13th)
    Well there goes my chance I guess, oh well, c'est la vie
    Good luck everyone!
  • I cant wait to see who wins!!
  • edited December 2019
    Okay, the results are in!

In first place is KrampisZman with Magus of the History. I think this is a beautifully made card. The art is appropriate, the use of the vanishing mechanic is very graceful and the Magus really does feel a lot like the card History of Benalia.

In second place is @Revan with the sword cycle. I like that this cycle is powerful, but not too good to fit into a standard format. Some of these just give you useful bonuses, while if you can get Body and Mind or Truth and Justice to connect a couple times in Standard, you probably win.

In third place is EternalWolf88 with Magus of Wrath and Damnation. I love the idea of combining these two cards into one, since, as you pointed out, they are almost identical. The ultimate in hybrid mana, which can only do what both colours can do. This card definitely fits that. In addition, this was chosen for the appropriateness of the art and the flavour text.

I tried to somewhat shy away from magi that were just copy-and-pasted from the original cards (apart from Revan's cycle whose usp was taking something formerly too broken for a rotating format and making it not that broken). This approach narrowed it down quite a lot. That said, here are some honourable mentions:

@Faiths_Guide's Theros Legendary artifacts: While I loved the premise of this cycle, it wasn't quite creative enough for a place in the top three.

@Temurzoa's Mags of the Magi: I felt that I couldn't award this first, second or third because, technically speaking, it's not a Magus. But I still liked it, and it creates Magi, sooo...

@Zamshala's Magus of the Reset: While the card itself was decent, I thought the flavour text and art were truly in the spirit of the card.

And that's it. Podium finishers, comment and let me know what you want favourited. Hopefully @Corwinnn will get y'all your circuit points. 1st and 2nd's booster packs are obviously from a set that hasn't properly released yet, so they'll be in the pipeline.
  • Congrats @Winners and other @Mentionables! Thanks for the contest, @twighlight8.
  • edited December 2019
    @twighlight8 fave whatever tickles your fancy.
  • congrats!
  • @Corwinnn can we close this one now?
This discussion has been closed.