Make a new "Keyword Action" !!!

Comments

• edited October 2015
    Cache When a player caches a card, he/she puts it into its owner's cache zone. The cache zone is a face-down zone for each player that he/she may look at at anytime, and that he or she may draw from instead of his/her library.

The card for the entry:
    Gaea's Confidant - 1G Creature

Some additional cache cards to better understand & flesh out the mechanic
    See Another Day - 1W Instant
    Archive 1UU Cache-themed counterspell
    Prisoner #3507 - 1B runt that can recur himself via cache
    Pilfer the Vaults - Kind of like an ill-gotten gains for the cache

• Gravitate is an awesome mechanic. Though the reminder text is a bit clunky.
  • edited October 2015
    Thanks for the entries guys!
    @michaelmvm It is keyword action!

@JBYT_LoadedTommy
    Keyword action is used in the sentence of effect.
    Examples;
    "Whenever enchanted creature attacks, scry 1."
    "Destroy target artifact or enchantment, then scry 2. "
    "{t} : Scry 1."

If those "Scry N" are replace with your "Cyclemill N", none of them make sense. See?

@fabiocbinbutter Cool flavor! But the mechanic isn't explained clearly enough. You can ask other people for help, but not judge :D
  • Here's one that I came up with a little while ago and just recently fixed up. Hope it's good enough...
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/technofuse-1?list=user
  • edited October 2015
    To Cache a card means to exile it face-down as cached. Players may look at any cached cards they own at any time. If a player would draw a card, they may draw from among cached cards they own instead of from the top of their library.

As far as rules go, that fully specifies the mechanic. As far as understanding it better, it's like a separate pile of cards, that you can draw from instead of your library. So, when you cache something from your graveyard, it allows you to recur it at the expense of a draw. When you cache something from your library, it's like card selection (similar to scrying). When you cache something on the stack/battlefield, it's like a Memory Lapse / Temporal Spring, except its owner has the option to draw it at any time instead of necessarily being the next card they draw.
  • @fabiocbinbutter Something about the cache zone isn't specified enough. But saying it is a "pile" really helps to understand.

So…cards are piled in cache zone in order they are cached? If so, from where you draw? Top or bottom?

But you say "draw from among cached cards". Then maybe "choose a card in your cache zone at random and put it into your hand" is good?
  • Secret

http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/snake-trap

Basically, it's played face-down and is turned face up and becomes an instant when its trigger is met. The secret card costs less mana than the effect normally would. To make it less OP, when the trigger is met you MUST activate the effect no matter what.
  • edited October 2015
    @Tomigon - The cached cards are simply exiled and marked as "cached", they are not inherently ordered. You can draw any cached card of your choosing, it's not at random.
  • Here's one I'm using in a custom set
  • @Siege728 that is not an action, but an ability. Here is a nifty way to see if it is an action.

~ {cost}
    Sorcery/Instant (doesn't matter)
    (Insert mechanic here)
    and NO other text

If that works (Scry, Bolster, destroy, poliferate, draw, etc), it is an action. If not, (lifelink, trample, infect, ingest, or spellshape) then it is not an action, but a keyword.
  • edited October 2015
    @fabiocbinbutter I get it. But your way of using the term "draw" is not following the official rule and confusing.

According to the Comprehensive Rules (July 17, 2015)),
    "120.1. A player draws a card by putting the top card of his or her library into his or her hand."…. so player can't select the card he or she draws.

As long as I can understand the mechanic, the submission is valid. But I encourage you to write the new reminder text in the way wizards likely to print. It' a cool concept. If you don't, I'll do. Lol.
    I think there are many ways to explain the mechanic!

@King_Devil_II @Siege728 yours are not keyword actions.

I'll put a link to gamepedia again. That page explains what keyword action is.
    http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Keyword_action

Although your ideas are not following the concept of the challenge, they are very unique and intriguing!
  • edited October 2015
    This card is from my Lord of the Rings set!
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/nazgul-dark-rider?list=user
  • Okay, I'll admit I was a little confused as to what a keyword action is. And I probably still am. But hopefully these are right?? :S

Rix Maadi Sadist (Reave)
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/rix-maadi-sadist?list=user

Morin the Prudent (Withdraw)
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/morin-the-prudent?list=user
  • @animist those are actions! Pretty cool ones too! Withdraw is worded like regenerate, and so is reave, and regen is an action.

@mrransom I made that too, lol!
  • edited October 2015
    @michaelmvm, cool! Did you also come up with an original Keyword Action? I made one called Walkabout... I think it needs a lot of improvement to be a useful mechanic, but the flavor already tastes good to me.
  • @mrransom I will, when I get the chance to.
  • edited October 2015
    Lol! Two people made "loot" with same effect!
    What about Rummaging Goblin's ability? :D It's similar to loot.

@MrRansom your Walkabout is so cool! But it's not a keyword action. It is written in the form of keyword ability. And it was categorized in triggered keyword ability.

Walkabout {2}{g}{g}{g} (At the beginning of your upkeep, you may pay the walkabout cost and exile this creature until your next upkeep. It gains haste.)

If it written like this, it's an keyword action;
    At the beginning of your upkeep, you may pay {2}{g}{g}{g}. If you do, walkabout this creature. (But it's a weird because walkabout isn't a verb, right..?)

I don't want you to change the mechanic for this contest unless you want to do so. This mechanic is cool as is!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'll put the concept of the challenge again:
    The challenge is to make a wording that can be replaced with a verb, and make a card that uses that verb in the effect. That verb is called keyword action.

Some of the non-evergreen keyword actions Wizards printed :
    Scry, Fateseal, Proliferate, Transform, Detain, Populate, Monstrosity, Vote, Bolster, Manifest
    Please check out how they are written on cards!

And gamepedia also helps a lot : http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Keyword_action
  • @Tomigon @MrRansom Although Monstrosity is a bit of a weird one since it isn't a verb. Perhaps Walkabout might be okay if it's written as 2GGG: Walkabout... ?
  • edited October 2015
    Gamepedia says "A keyword action is a word or words, usually a verb," so words other than verb are also ok! Hahaha.
  • @Animist, yeah, I'll try that. I think I will also reduce the cost, because Walkabout has the drawback of being very predictable-- your opponent can see it coming a mile away.
    Another thing I have been thinking of, is somehow allowing the controller of the creature (on walkabout) to bring it back from Walkabout at any time rather than only on the next turn, for the element of surprise. This option would make the Walkabout cost expensive, I think.
  • edited October 2015
    @Tomigon, I do want to change it. I actually shared it for just such a reason. I welcome the feedback and critiques. :D

Sorry for messing up your challenge. I was trying to make it like Monstrous. I'll do a redesign.
  • Went through and found an old one that would work! Harness (To harness, put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control with the highest power among creatures you control.)

Here's the card that used it. Mind you, it's from an old set, and I don't plan on using the mechanic, so it'll be rusty.

http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/myrona-the-divine
  • That's why my rules text says that the player may <draw in such way> "instead of from the top of their library".

It could be made more explicit like this I guess:
    To Cache a card means to exile it face-down as cached. Players may look at any cached cards they own at any time. If a player would draw a card, they may instead choose a card from among cached cards they own and draw that card instead of drawing from the top of their library.
  • @fabiocbinbutter and put that card into your hand instead of drawing form the top of his or her library. that's what @tomigon is trying to say.
This discussion has been closed.