What do you see when you look at the five MTG colors? (White, Blue, Black, Red, Green)

This is a discussion that has you look at the five colors on the MTG color wheel and tell us, what do you think they signify?

When you answer it would be nice if you followed this format:

(Color) - (What social concept you think this color adheres to the most, for me black adheres to Darwinism)
(Description text, put as much here as you want)

REMINDER
NO TALKING ABOUT RELIGIONS OR TOUCHY SUBJECTS, I AM SERIOUS Y'ALL ARE GETTING WAY OFF TOPIC
STAY ON TOPIC IN GENERAL

Comments

• I think I've played MTG too much because:
    Green- big creatures and trees.
    Red- direct damage and tiny little creatures with haste. And for some reason the song Ring of Fire.
    Blue- Persistent Petitioners.
    White- IDK, nobody uses it
    Black- Golgari.
  • edited March 2019
    @Bowler218
    You don't like to read the description don't you?
  • White: Justice, Injustice, Purism, Righteousness
    Explanation: The whole premise of white is described as on the basis of justice, but should justice get skewed then you have a really bad villain who is truly convicted that they think they're right, hence injustice. They also are likely the types to be overly purist, and those who keep yelling that we need to crusade again.

Blue: Intelligent, Logical, Cold, Authoritarianism
    Explanation: The blue color is frequented by control spells in the form of counters, mills, et cetera. Because of this, they can be perceived as cold and logical, and somewhat authoritarian. They are also rather intelligent.

Black: Realism, Nihilism... I got to go. Someone remind me later to finish this.
  • @Ranshi922 I am reminding you
  • White - Order at all costs
    Explanation: Throughout the days we have seen many a white card, incase you didn't notice white is kind of Lawful Stupid, where the most minor offense is taken out of proportion
  • The five colors boiled down to a single word of what they value most is as follows:
    White-Order
    Blue-Knowledge
    Black-Power
    Red-Individuality
    Green-Nature

Explanations:
    While generally attributed to law, white could better be explained as the color of order and community, which in turn create laws. Some of the best examples of this is how white was represented in the original Innistrad block, where most of the cards worked well and synergized to form an army or a community. On Ixalan, the vampires surely represent community and order, being dependent on each other and supporting one another, even though they didn't enforce any sort of law.

Blue is cold hard, knowledge, simple as that. It is neither good nor evil, it simply is. According to blue, patience and being more clever than your opponent will always win at the end of the day. Life should be spent working to become as intellectual as possible, and to learn as much as you can.

Black is ambitious, and sees the world for how it truly is: a survival of the fittest, eat or be eaten. And the best way to survive in such a cruel world? Become as powerful as possible, no matter the cost. Only when you are strong enough will you make it in this harsh, unforgiving world. Trust no one, for your strength is the only thing you can truly count on.

Red, often recognized as the color of emotion, is about expressing yourself. Many emotionally related cards are attributed to red (e.g. Cathartic Reunion) and red has always been the color to speak out when something isn't right. One of the most famous examples of red's tendency to go against the grain is urabrask's decision to allow the mirran survivors in the great furnace to remain, saying "let them be." Basically, red is a very expressive teenager.

And finally, green. Green cares about one thing, and one thing only: The natural order. While black believes in survival of the fittest in a figurative sense, green believes it in a literal sense. Nothing goes to waste in nature. If you die, your body is taken back into the earth, your nutrients redistributed into the cycle. The artificial creations of civilization are a slap in the face to the natural order, and, more often than not, are abominations.
  • Not now. Still in class. Do it like... in 9 hours.
  • I am in Math class right now lol
  • In one word:
    W: conformity
    U: curiosity
    B: ambition
    R: freedom
    G: respect
  • When I see White, I see being lawful and enforceful. This doesn't mean it's good, just doing what's right in its mind.

Black is an honest evil. It does whatever it needs to gain power, whether that be at the cost of themselves or others.

Red is a chaotic and free "evil", not restricted by any laws or restrictions. Red may not always be smart, but they'll always do whatever they want.

Green represents allowing the natural circle of life to dictate things, like predator and prey or erosion.

Blue is Blue. Blue uses Counterspells, Instant Speed card draw and most of the time relies on a single dumb combo to do anything. Nobody likes Blue.
  • I see five colours.
  • well this was a crapshoot
  • Is it okay to use examples from media?
  • Well, when you preemptively shoot down topics that apply to the philosophical discussion of colors, it kinda makes it hard to have a compelling discussion besides a regurgitation of what WotC has told us before about color philosophy.
  • Eh, screw it. I'm gonna ask y'all a question. What two-color combination do you feel like relates to the city of Omelas the most? I think it's Green-White.
  • edited March 2019
    White represents good intentions.
    All white characters do what they think will improve everything else, including themselves.

the problem is, sometimes the're wrong
  • I feel like that could be extended to Blue as well.
  • edited March 2019
    White is more about the benefits of the group versus the individual. Not just helping others but also excluding things that don't conform. Look at cards like Pariah, taxation mechanics linked to white, the flavour of white removal, etc..
This discussion has been closed.