MTGCS World Invite 2021

This impromptu tournament will take place 10/9 through 10/11.

Sorry for the short notice, but it's really easy on your part.
  1. You're going to submit old cards you've created for any 4 of the following prompts you would like.
  2. Every time someone submits 4 cards, three of those cards will go head-to-head vs another cardsmith who has also submitted 4 cards. You'll end up being in a maximum of 3 matches by the end of tomorrow. The 4th card will be reserved for playoffs.
Prizes
  1. Champion = A Featured Card + Mystery Box Invitational Qualification + Your choice of a bundle of 5 mystery box prizes -or- 5 favorites
  2. Runner Up = Mystery Box Invitational Qualification + 1 nonpremium mystery box prize of your choice + your choice of 3 random mystery box prizes -or- 3 favorites
  3. If Semi-finals, then semi-finalists will receive one nonpremium mystery box prize of choice + your choice of 2 random mystery box prizes -or- 2 favorites
  4. All other participants will receive one nonpremium prize of their choice
Prompts
  • A card that has won a contest
  • A tri-colored commander
  • A card named after another cardsmith
  • A card themed after a movie character
  • A non-black Horror creature card
  • An planeswalker with less than three +/- abilities
  • A card that grants you an extra turn
  • A burn spell
  • A noncreature card with a custom mechanic
  • A counter spell
  • A Godzilla card
  • A card that uses the Squirreltopia set symbol
  • A creature card with a watermark
  • An un card
  • A turn one creature

Judging Criteria

Your entries will be graded on the following criteria
  • Balancing - is it overpowered or underpowered?
  • Creativity - did you just copy and paste a bunch of different things from existing cards or does it seem thought out?
  • Playability - Is your card too specific to where it's purpose is limited to only one thing, or can this card be versatile enough to be main-boarded in a variety of decks and strategies?
  • Flavor, Grammar, and Spacing, Synergy and/or abusability with existing cards will be the tiebreaker criteria.

Comments

• Hey, so, can we submit multiple cards per prompt?

I’ve made like, fifteen counterspells over my lifetime, and I can’t decide between them.

• HMMMMMMM - Yes! @HeroKP
  • edited October 2021
    @jpastor Grand. 

It’s late where I live, so I’ll get some shut-eye, and then post it all in the morning.
  • I have a lot of some of these...
  • This seems fun!
  • Providing the judging criteria was on point.  Finally, there's something to aim for.
  • edited October 2021
    • An planeswalker with less than three +/- abilities
    • A card named after another Cardsmith
    • A turn one creature
    • A burn spell

Inspira Pridemore Lord of Discomfort Infuriating Imp Angel Fire
    • A planeswalker with less than three +/- abilities.
    • A Godzilla Card.
    • A burn spell.
    • A 1-drop creature.
    Karn PerfectedShin Godzilla Amorphous
    Blood boltC A T Cuddles And Tenebrosity
  • -A non-black horror creature card.
    -A card that has won a contest.
    -A card named after another cardsmith.
    -A tri-colored commander

Nyel Which Lurks by NightMarshal of the Berry Sector
    Corwinnn Transformed

• edited October 2021

Matches Complete...

1. @Jadefire ] vs [ 0@Corwinnn
    2. @Jadefire 1 ] vs [ 2 ] @feralitator
    3. @Jadefire 3 ] vs 0@AboveAndAbout
    @Jadefire - the following card has been reserved at random for the Playoffs

@Corwinnn
    the following card, chosen at random, has been reserved for playoffs Inspira Pridemore

@feralitator - the following card, chosen at random, has been reserved for playoffs Shin Godzilla Amorphous

@AboveAndAbout - the following card has been reserved for playoffs and was chosen at random Marshal of the Berry Sector
  • At Her Majestys Behest
    A card that won a contest

The Mute Tithetaker
    A three-color commander

Kiki Delivery Witch
    Themed after a movie character

Beholders Ire
    Burn spell
  • edited October 2021
    Completed Match
    @Corwinnn [ 1 ] vs [ 2 ] @SpellPiper2213
  • @SpellPiper2213
    The following card has been randomly selected to be reserved for playoffs.
    Kiki Delivery Witch
  • I accidentally missed it.
  • It's not too late @KorandAngels
  • Not for me. I'll finish the matches tomorrow @KorandAngels... you have like 11 hours
  • edited October 2021
    Match Completed

@feralitator] vs [ ] @AboveAndAbout
  • edited October 2021
    Match Complete

@feralitator] vs [ @SpellPiper2213
  • edited October 2021
    Match Complete

@Corwinnn [ ] vs [ ] @AboveAndAbout
  • Round Robin Results
    1. @Jadefire (2-1) | 7-2
    2. @feralitator (2-1) | 5-4 
    3. @SpellPiper2213 (2-0) | 4-2
    4. @Corwinnn (1-2) | 3-6
    5. @AboveAndAbout (0-3) | 2-7
    Semi-Finals
    Championship
    • [Winner] vs [Winner] | 1:30 CST
  • Semi-Finals 
    1st Place 
    vs 4th Place

@Jadefire] vs @Corwinnn].

Corwinnn 
    advances to the championship at 1:30 Central Time, today!
  • Semi-Finals
    2nd Place vs 3rd Place

@feralitator1 ] vs [ @SpellPiper2213

feralitator advances to the championship at 1:30 Central Time, today!

• What's happening here and why has it been a lightning round?
  • Hi @Ranshi

I decided to hold an impromptu tournament for this holiday weekend. Next year, it'll be announced in advance. 

Just wanted to give it a test go! This one just calls for old cards you've made and then sees how they compare to other cardsmiths!

I'm currently working a tournament in real life this weekend, and I wanted to throw something out there to kill all my free time :cookie:
  • Championship Match Underway!
    @Corwinnn vs @feralitator
  • Inspira Pridemore A Planeswalker with less than two +/- abilities.
    • Balancing - is it overpowered or underpowered? Not overpowered or underpowered. Just right. Good starting mana and loyalty. Love the static ability!

• Creativity - did you just copy and paste a bunch of different things from existing cards or does it seem thought out? This doesn't look like a card with pasted abilities. Though they are someone generic beyond the static ability, I like what they do.

• Playability - Is your card too specific to where it's purpose is limited to only one thing, or can this card be versatile enough to be main-boarded in a variety of decks and strategies? Especially since this is an uncommon, I really like the playability of this card in any red-blue deck. It's has a simple purpose and can be usable in a variety of decks without being overly used, due to balancing! It could also be side-boarded for decks that like to cast spells only on their turn. The playability of this card alone sets this card on top of your opponent's card.

• Flavor, Grammar, and Spacing, Synergy and/or abusability with existing cards will be the tiebreaker criteria. I have no faults here on any of these. However, Synergy played the key tiebreaker role with this matchup, in my opinion.

vs 

Shin Godzilla AmorphousA Godzilla card.

• Balancing - is it overpowered or underpowered? For the mana cost, I think 7/6 makes sense given its primary ability. So, balancing is not over the top or underwhelming here. I feel it's just right. This ability is also worded and paced very well so that Shin Godzilla doesn't become unstoppable too quickly.
    • Creativity - did you just copy and paste a bunch of different things from existing cards or does it seem thought out? No, both these abilities seem completely made from scratch for this card. I say both abilities, but really just one ability broken across two pieces. This too me is the defining line with your opponent's card. While both offer a well balanced, playable, and ultimately creative card, in comparison to the language of the opponent's card, this one seems a little more unique and worded to where you won't find other cards in anyone's collection that shares much in common with the wording on this spell. It's a subtle difference, but just enough to set this card on top.
    • Playability - Is your card too specific to where it's purpose is limited to only one thing, or can this card be versatile enough to be main-boarded in a variety of decks and strategies? The playability of this card lacks a little in comparison the opposing card, but nonetheless, this would be a good 7-drop in any deck looking for the ultimate punch.
    • Flavor, Grammar, and Spacing, Synergy and/or abusability with existing cards will be the tiebreaker criteria. No faults here. Synergy with existing cards played the biggest tiebreaker role here.
    Taking the whole shebang into consideration, this was a close, close match. Ultimately, though,

the winner is....

@feralitator
  • Ooooo! Nice job @feralitator and the rest of the Cardsmiths who jumped in! This one was quite fun! I can't wait for the Invitational!

I do love a good permission deck and Inspira was designed to work well within that framework at the uncommon power level. Originally made for The Mystery Box Challenges. Page 192 - Create an uncommon Planeswalker.
This discussion has been closed.