Mechanic Encyclopedia for ALL

1575859606163»

Comments

• @Robo_Kitty
    Your currently wording says that a card is Altered, even if the changes made to it are temporarily. Do you mean you want the card is only altered once changes are permanently?
  • Pact (instant card subtype). When you cast a pact, you can’t cast more pacts until your next upkeep.
  • edited October 2023
    @smax765
    I would go for;
    Card type: Pact. Pacts have "Whenever you cast a pact, you may not cast another until beginning of your next upkeep."
  • Thanks for the wording. Here is an example card:

• @smax765
    Wording for Piercing is kinda off, you can take example from my card for that. After all, I made that keyword. Plus, usually blue and red can use Piercing. That way, it would make sense for Pact of Disintegration to be white, red, and black. (Blue can remove ability to do something about it while Red can become hotter than sun's surface and somehow melt through magic shield.)

Since pact is subtype to the card type, you should capitalize it as it goes; 

"Whenever you cast a Pact, you may not cast another until beginning of your next upkeep."

Because I assumed the Pact is card type rather than subtype. Any subtypes are usually capitalized.
  • edited October 2023
    For piercing I know it’s your mechanic, I just used a easier wording for it (anyways, I forgot protection). As a removal will always say “destroy/exile target creature”, a counter spell “counter target spell” and boardwipes don’t care about hexproof or shround (and boardwipes that exile don’t care about protection), the wording should be like this:

“This spell can target permanents with hexproof, shround and protection, and spells targeted by this spell can be countered”
  • @smax765
    This is the why.

This is worded this way, so protection that acts like indestructible to certain color can be destroyed by this card.
  • Interesting. I never thought about piercing on a creature, just as passive effect for instants and sorceries.
  • Battle - Duel

(Any player may attack a duel. Any other player
    may choose to block a creature attacking a duel.)

• Unbound N — [mana cost] (You may cast this spell for its unbound cost. If you do, create N copies of it as it enters the battlefield.)

Example:
    Otherworldly Patron
  • I've always loved the interactions the card Hive Mind can have in 4-player Magic, so I wanted to come up with a mechanic that can keep the spirit of the original effect, while expanding on the design space of a card you cast knowing that you're opponent gets to do the same thing on their turn. Without further ado:

Reciprocate (When you cast this spell, if it isn't a copy, each other player casts a copy of it at the beginning of their next upkeep without paying its mana cost.)

Example:

• A really unique card is Phage the Untouchable, so "Assassinate" makes the bottom of her card's text into a keyword.

Assassinate - (Whenever a creature with assassinate deals combat damage to a player, that player loses the game).

• @MarvelousHavel I never really stopped to consider how horrifying your reciprocate mechanic was on the card you submitted lol. Imagine grieving the fallen, and they come and grieve you back as well as if you are a dead person. 
  • Oh for sure! It's a pretty grim way to lose the game with everyone you milled to the graveyard dragging you down with them.
  • Want a spell that's uncounterable, while also playing around any pesky copy effects your opponents may have? Then Inscrutable is the mechanic for you!

Inscrutable (This spell can't be targeted.)