Powerful But Useless(?) Contest

edited January 2019 in Just for Fun Contests
"You can't cast spells or activate abilities if there are no valid targets."
In this contest, I would like you to use that rule, and make a powerful yet situational card.

Examples:
imageimageimage
* Cards like Decimate becomes much easier to cast if the game has many players. Thinking about the game with 3 or more players is important.
* Cycling is a great ability when you don't want you card to be completely useless XD

CRITERIA
Presentation, art selection, templating, spelling, balance, creativity and flavor.

Old cards are allowed.
Limit of 3 entries max per person.
Deadline in one week: February 4
All entries will get a favorite and/or comment.
This is in "jut for fun contests" category because I want to see some busted ideas. But if the top 3 winning cards seem all realistic, they get a favorite from -TROPHY- and a spot on -HALL OF FAME-

Comments

• edited January 2019

Something like that? I´ve just recently created it for another contest :P
  • @Derfaulehelmut
    Yes, that's situational and powerful. But abilities like "All creature get +1/+1 .." don't have targets. They just affect ALL creatures.
  • edited January 2019
    @Tomigon the idea was to counter text like "all creatures YOU CONTROL" if it affects all creatures in the board then it would have no effect. But in cards like "Heroic Reinforcements" the caster create first token, so I guess the card would not counter it. Difficult. Maybe I should make some changes xDD

Edit: Edited. Hope now is more logical xD
  • edited January 2019
  • Cause who doesn't like random effects and storm!

The useless part of this spell is that you have already have an instant or sorcery on the stack, otherwise you can't use it. Given its mana cost, that requires some thinking to work around.
  • @MonkeyPirate2002
    That card doesn't say you can't copy opponent's spell.. If you cast it in response to opponent's creature removal spell, you can copy that spell twice and remove two creatures of your choice. That doesn't sound useless at all to me.
  • edited January 2019
    I didn't read through the rules exactly. But this might work. Not being particularly useful in most situations, not to mention synergyzing with and bending the no-valid-targets rule.
  • edited January 2019
    Back to the drawing board for that....

• edited January 2019
    Is this wording correct?

• edited January 2019
    Reminder Text: The Card
  • edited January 2019
    Wow, this legendary creature would make a nice Voltron commander! (Not)

• edited January 2019
    Last Entry: My mono-white aggro deck will benefit from this!

• @Ranshi922
    Yes you didn't read the rules exactly or the rules are badly written XD But interesting card.. So what happens if you cast Hex (Destroy six target creatures.) when there's only that creature on the battlefield?

@Corwinnn
    "If a creature dealt damage by Wall of Insanity this turn dies, "
    But I can't find the word "target" anywhere on the card..

@Lastjustice
    This contest is not about drawbacks. I want to see powerful cards that are difficult to find targets.

Karma mechanic is interesting but I have a few problems...
    1) "Whenever you successfully cast this spell" means "When you cast this spell" or "When this spell resolves"?
    2) Shouldn't it be "As long as"?
    3) Same name as what?
    4) If we can insert anything in *____* part, that mechanic should be an ability word.
    5) It should say "card" instead of "spell" if that card is in exile.
    6) TOO COMPLEX, but I know that's your style so.. good job I guess lol

I'm not a big fan of downside keywords, but if I would fix that mechanic;
    Karma N (Exile this card with N Karma counter on it as it resolves. It gains "Spells this card's owner casts cost {1} more to cast for each karma counter on this card" and "{2}: Remove a karma counter from this card. Only its owner may activate this ability.")

@shadow123
    Until end of turn, target nonartifact creature with base power 0 gains "{t}: Add two mana of any one color." You gain X life, where X is twice that creature's toughness.

Also {1}{g}{w} is the correct order of mana symbols.
    It's a beautiful card, but life gain effect is not that good in magic. That card is very narrow, so you can make it more powerful.
  • @Tomigon, nothing gets killed, he gets a boost.
  • @ElMagici
    What is 1d4?

And I can't find the word "target" in your last entry..
  • edited January 2019

• @Tomigon Thanks, I’ll make a new one soon!
  • @Tomigon A 1d4 is a dice with 4 sides (1,2,3 and 4), and in the last entry, you are the target.
  • edited January 2019
    imageimage
  • Well this is old:

• edited January 2019
    Here's something else.

image image image

• Is this one better?

• @Lastjustice
    Limit of 3 entries max per person XD

@shadow123
    Technically, the word "target" is only used in the text when it uses the stack. Additional cost doesn't use stack.
    ..And forcing opponents to discard as a part of cost feels a little weird.
    What about..
    "Two target players with seven or more cards in their hand discard their hand. Until end of turn, you may put any number of creature cards that were put into graveyards this turn under your control."
  • edited January 2019
    Here.

• @Tomigon Okay, I’ll try that.
This discussion has been closed.