Mystery Box Challenges

Comments

• edited March 2022
    Anyone up for some late night shenanigans?

twitch.tv/cryptocaillou

Things to do:

• Stay up late on a saturday night with friends I don't personally know <-- haha!
    • Catch up on some boxes
    • Discuss prize ideas for 2.0 openly :)
    • Eventually go to bed.

• @hileandr
    While we did not end up with a shared prize for this, here is the reverse challenge entry.

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/phyrexian-fire-2

Your mystery box contains:
    • Premium Prize 100 - Infinity Shard: Due to the infinite loopy nature of this prize and the fact that the odds of getting struck by lightning are probably higher than getting this twice on the same page... let's just redeem this as a Wildcard instead: Choose any nonpremium prize you'd like. https://mystery-boxes.webs.com/
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create a firebreathing creature that can be cycled.

@cadstar369
    The deadline has been set to end 5 days from now on 3/18/2022. 
    Scratchies give you:
    • Prize 94 - Mood Ring: Negotiations for a mode. Choose 4 modes you'd like. I'll select 1.
    • Premium Prize 32 - Jadefire Special: 4 random prizes
    Jadefire Special gives you:
    • Prize 5 - Reverse: Cash this prize in any time you'd like by giving me a mystery challenge, you and I both share a 50/50 shot at the same random mystery box prize in exchange for you giving me a mystery challenge.
    • Premium Prize 63 - Angel Stone: The winner of the deadline you activate this in gets a premium prize.
    • Prize 7 - Madman's Glasses: You get 2 challenge options the rest of this deadline. You pick which to submit for.
    • Prize 98 - Green Substance: 2-for-1 mystery boxes the rest of the deadline when activated.
    • Prize 66 - Shiny Chalice: Choose a page number from this discussion. You get a random prize from that page.
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create a creature with a cost you can pay when it attacks.
    • Prize 59 - Fools' Gold: Name two cardsmiths to duel.
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create an Incarnation creature with a 6 letter name.

@WarriorCatInAhat
    Jadefire gifted you a box with the Teddy Bear prize. It contains:
    • Premium Prize 6 - Skeleton Key: Guarantees a premium prize in the box it is used to open.
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create a hybrid colored creature with magecraft.
  • edited March 2022
    @hileandr
    I just want to say, based on my rudimentary math skills, you had a 0.0000182481% chance of scoring that prize twice on the same page via mystery boxes.

Just saying. Oh and the probably of getting struck by lightning... twice = 00001111111
  • edited March 2022
    What can I say? Beginner's luck, I guess!
    (I hope the flavor comes across for all the abilities)

Inventory:
    Prize 19 - Top Deck Modifier: Once activated, shared mystery challenges will be posted for the remainder of the deadline.
    Prize 78 - Microphone You may rename a prize.
    Prize 56 - Timepiece: Activate to set the deadline's end for 1-5 days from now (chosen at random)
    Prize 48 - Scratchie: Choose 10 prize #'s.
    Prize 48 - Scratchie: Choose 10 prize #'s.
    Prize 74 - Teddy Bear: You may have gift another mystery box to another cardsmith.
    Prize 98 – Green Substance (2-for-1 mystery boxes the remainder of the deadline).

I'd like another Mystery Box, and I'll cash in this gooey Green Substance I got from @cadstar369 (yuck!)

Also, I'll use my Wildcard for a Sculpture and cash that in, too.

Where can I find a list of the Prize #s for the Scratchie?
  • A Mystery Challenge: Create an equipment with a creature subtype in its name.
    Demon Armor
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/demon-armor-3

A Mystery Challenge: 
    Create a hybrid colored creature with magecraft.
    Serpent-Cult Fanatic
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/serpent-cult-fanatic

Inventory
    Prize 5 - Reverse: Cash this prize in any time you'd like by giving me a mystery challenge, you and I both share a 50/50 shot at the same random mystery box prize in exchange for you giving me a mystery challenge.
    Prize 29 - Bag of Gemstones: Request feedback on up to 4 cards.
    Prize 35 - Scenic Views: Solo Challenge to complete a card using your own photography.
    Premium Prize 6 - Skeleton Key: Guarantees a premium prize in the box it is used to open
    thank you @Jadefire for the prizes
  • can I use the Skeleton Key to open a box?
  • edited March 2022
    @hileandr there's no official list, since the numbers used to change whenever jpastor shuffled new prizes in or took some out. It may be slightly out of date, but here's my list (effects can be found on the mystery box website):

1. Tumult
    2. Slaps
    3. Gifted (Premium)
    4. Antique
    5. Reverse Challenge
    6. Skeleton Key (Premium)
    7. ???
    8. Rusty Key
    9. Extra Credit
    10. Matrix
    11. Music Box
    12. Featured Card (Premium)
    13. ???
    14. Short Fuse (Modifier)
    15. ???
    16. Champion's Pendant
    17. ???
    18. Weather Change (Modifier)
    19. Top Deck (Modifier)
    20. Lucky Key
    21. Un
    22. Energy Crystal
    23. ???
    24. ???
    25. Report Card
    26. Journal of Everything
    27. Viral Uploads
    28. Winner Takes All
    29. Bag of Gemstones
    30. Casual Causality
    31. ???
    32. Random Event
    33. Voting Credentials
    34. Jadefire Special (Premium)
    35. Scenic Views
    36. Board Wipe
    37. Black Friday (Draft)
    38. ???
    39. Mystery Box Avatar (Premium)
    40. Gearhulk Apparatus
    41. Invitational Qualification
    42. Pawn (Negotiations)
    43. Two Cookies
    44. Turnbuckle
    45. 1-Challenge Moshpit
    46. Orb
    47. This or That
    48. Lotto Ticket Scratch-Off (Scratchie)
    49. Spectacles
    50. ???
    51. Buy One Get One Free
    52. DJ Credentials
    53. Limited Prizes (Modifier)
    54. ???
    55. Pearl
    56. Timepiece
    57. Sticker (Premium)
    58. Dueling Boots
    59. Fools' Gold
    60. ???
    61. Stone of Creation
    62. Sappy's Art of the Challenge (Modifier)
    63. Angelstone (Premium)
    64. ???
    65. Chimes
    66. Shiny Chalice
    67. Aether Vial
    68. Limited Art (Modifier)
    69. Quest (Modifier)
    70. ???
    71. Wagonwheel
    72. Silver Plaque
    73. ???
    74. Teddy Bear
    75. ???
    76. Limited Challenges (Modifier)
    77. Yro's DWM (Modifier)
    78. Microphone
    79. Reshuffle
    80. Cardsmiths Against Humanity
    81. ???
    82. Double Cheeseburger
    83. An Equation
    84. Sculpture
    85. God Spell (Premium)
    86. Stocks & Bonds
    87. Wildcard (Premium)
    88. Adventure
    89. Discovery
    90. Jukebox
    91. Dark Matter Crystal
    92. Spotlight
    93. Briber's Satchel
    94. Mood Ring
    95. Golden Key
    96. Artificial Intelligence
    97. Lucky Rabbit Foot
    98. Green Substance
    99. ???
    100. Infinity Shard (Premium)
    Note that you can only pick up to 1 premium prize for a scratchie.

–––––

Activating the Angelstone; choosing page 274 for Shiny Chalice :D

Choosing [Tasks; Scenic Views; Spotlight; Art for the Card] for the Mood Ring

Here's a Reverse challenge for you: Create a nonland permanent card with no mana cost. (e.g. Sol Talisman; Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar)

I'll use the Fools' Gold to instigate a duel between @hileandr and @WarriorCatInAhat

Inventory
    • Prize 21 - Un Mode (Choose solo, duel, or moshpit for an un challenge.)
    • Prize 7 - Madman's Glasses: You get 2 challenge options the rest of this deadline. You pick which to submit for.
    • Prize 98 - Green Substance: 2-for-1 mystery boxes the rest of the deadline when activated.
  • Mystery Challenge: Create a creature with a cost you can pay when it attacks.

Mystery Challenge: Create an Incarnation creature with a 6 letter name.
    Erratic Amalgam Apathy

One regular Mystery Box please. :)

Inventory
  • @hileandr
    Be sure to see the bottom of this post! A sculpture for someone I know nothing about? How daring of an endeavor! As is such with the flavor of this card. I hope you enjoy how foolhardy I've made you sound!

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/hileandrs-wangle
    • Prize 32 - Random Event (Misc): Cash this in anytime to activate a random event.
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create a red & green modal nonland permanent that can produce mana. 
    Your green substance mystery box contains:
    • Prize 13 - Golden Plaque (Community): Cash in a golden plaque prize any time before the a deadline ends to ensure the winner of the deadline gets a mention in the HALL OF FAME.
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create a card that creates land tokens.

@WarriorCatInAhat
    Be sure to see the bottom of this post! Your mystery box contains:
    • Premium Prize 12 - Featured Card: You've been queued for the Monthly Mystery Boxer Featured Card for March!
    • A Mystery Challenge: As a play on the formatting of a card, create a card with static combat abilities and an activated ability, but no space in between them. (Just don't skip an extra space in between when typing the card.)

@cadstar369
    Page 274 random prize = 
    • Prize 94 - Mood Ring: Negotiations for a mode. Choose 4 modes you'd like. I'll select 1.
    Spotlight is the mode I select.

Here's the reverse entry!

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/toph-wei-ancestral-guide

• Prize 74 - Teddy Bear
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create a Legendary Naga Wizard creature card.

@hileandr vs @WarriorCatInAhat
    You've been entered into a duel with a prize by cadstar. Your duel challenge is to:
    • Create a permanent with mana cost: RedRedRed.
  • edited March 2022
    I guess today is a Red day for me!

A Mystery Challenge: Create a red & green modal nonland permanent that can produce mana.
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/lumber-mill-3

It's a shame we don't have dual color artifact borders.

A Mystery Challenge: Create a card that creates land tokens.
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/red-suns-rise

Create a permanent with mana cost: RedRedRed.
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/emberstorm-efreet

Inventory
    Prize 19 - Top Deck Modifier: Once activated, shared mystery challenges will be posted for the remainder of the deadline.
    Prize 78 - Microphone You may rename a prize.
    Prize 56 - Timepiece: Activate to set the deadline's end for 1-5 days from now (chosen at random)
    Prize 48 - Scratchie: Choose 10 prize #'s.
    Prize 48 - Scratchie: Choose 10 prize #'s.
    Prize 74 - Teddy Bear: You may have gift another mystery box to another cardsmith.
    Prize 32 - Random Event (Misc): Cash this in anytime to activate a random event.
    Prize 13 - Golden Plaque (Community): Cash in a golden plaque prize any time before the a deadline ends to ensure the winner of the deadline gets a mention in the HALL OF FAME.

I'll cash in my Prize 78 - Microphone: Gooey Substance (yuck) is now called BOGO.

I'll cash in my Prize 74 - Teddy Bear to @Tox.

How is a winner decided?

• The legendary green substance is no longer!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BAGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
  • So now we have BOGO as the extended version of Buy One Get One Free… ?
  • Oh what havoc I have wreaked! 

I actually didn't know there was already a Buy One Get One Free... not gonna lie, I didn't read through your post of 100 prize names.

Hmm... am I able to reconsider my choice, or is the damage done?
  • Let the damage be done!
  • How is a winner decided, Mr. @jpastor?

Also, I want another!
  • edited March 2022
    Mystery Challenge: Create a Legendary Naga Wizard creature card.
    Savira Shrewd Sleeper

Activating Spotlight as a deadline modifier.

For Mood Ring #2 I'll pick [Music Box, Diamond Hunt, Art for the Card, Gearhulk Apparatus].

Sending a Teddy Bear Mystery Box to @SkinZ :)

One Mystery Box with 3 challenges please.

Inventory
  • "As a play on the formatting of a card, create a card with static combat abilities and an activated ability, but no space in between them. (Just don't skip an extra space in between when typing the card.)"

I have some questions:
    does there have to be multiple static combat abilities, or can there just be one?
    if so, is the removed space between the combat abilities themselves, or the combat abilities and the activated abilities?
  • more than one ability with no space in between them and the activated ability @WarriorCatInAhat
  • @jpastor toss a box my way!
  • They came after me
    With masterful deceit
    Broke down my lute
    And they kicked in my teeth
    While the devil's horns
    Minced our tender meat
    And so cried the Ranshi
    He can't be bleat

Toss a box to your Ranshi
    Jpastor of Mystery
    Jpastor of Mystery, oh
    Toss a box to Your Ranshi
    Jpastor of Mystery
  • edited March 2022
    @Tox
    You've been gifted a mystery box by hileandr. It contains:
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create or find from another cardsmith's collection an Equipment with {X} somewhere in its card text.
    @hileandr
    The better of the two entries wins the duel. Your mystery box contains:
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create or find from another cardsmith's a card with hieroglyphics in the artwork.
    @cadstar369
    Let's go with the Music Box. Your mystery box contains:
    • Prize 17 - A Giant Magnet: Submit an entry for any number of mystery challenges in this post and receive the prize in each box you submitted a card for.
    • Prize 60 - Word of the Day (Solo, Duel, Mosh)
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create or find from another cardsmith's a Legendary Quicksilver permanent.
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create or find from another cardsmith's a card that taps or untaps things.
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create or find from another cardsmith's an enchantment that creates creature tokens.
    @SkinZ
    You've been gifted a mystery box from cadstar369. It contains:
    • Prize 57 - Tasks Modifier: Activate this any time. When you do, it will temporarily convert everyone's future mystery challenges into special mystery tasks instead.
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create a permanent with an ability that starts with, "Whenever a land an opponent controls is tapped for mana."

@Ranshi
    • Prize 76 - Limited Challenge Modifier: When you activate, mystery challenges will be pulled from a pool of X challenges, where X is the number of cardsmiths who participated in the previous deadline.
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create or find from another cardsmith's a mythic rare, non-Legendary Sorcery.

• @jpastor for my first challenge, are you using Quicksilver as a supertype, type, subtype, or part of the permanent's name?
  • @jpastor could you elaborate on what I'm supposed to do here. I'm not sure if I follow.
  • @Ranshi since I activated the Spotlight modifier, everyone now has two options for their mystery challenges:
    1. Create a new card to fulfill the challenge (in your case a mythic rare, non-Legendary Sorcery)
    2. Find & present another cardsmith's card that meets the challenge
  • Hi @cadstar369
    sorry - i forgot to hyperlink... NAME
  • I found this card by @Corwinnn
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/wall-of-hieroglyphics

Does this one count? I know it's not actual Egyptian Hieroglyphics.
  • Using the Big Magnet to make 2 extra submissions, picking up a copy of Prize 76 – Limited Challenge Modifier
    • Mystery Challenge: Create or find from another cardsmith's [collection] a card with hieroglyphics in the artwork.
    • Mystery Challenge: Create or find from another cardsmith's [collection] a Legendary Quicksilver permanent.
    • Mystery Challenge: Create or find from another cardsmith's [collection] a card that taps or untaps things.
    • Mystery Challenge: Create or find from another cardsmith's [collection] an enchantment that creates creature tokens.
    • Mystery Challenge: Create or find from another cardsmith's [collection] a mythic rare, non-Legendary Sorcery.
    Spotlighting cards by @hileandr@KingSumples, @Psyre (x2), and @TalentedTalonflame.

Eldritch Scroll Eviks Quicksilver Seer Paralyzing Predator Dance of Incarnations Final Sunset

Activating Prize 60 – Word of the Day; up for another duel @hileandr? This time against me.

One mystery box please. :)

Inventory
    • Prize 11 – Music Box: Musically enhanced mystery boxes. (Solo, Duel, Mosh)
    • Prize 76 - Limited Challenge Modifier: When you activate, mystery challenges will be pulled from a pool of X challenges, where X is the number of cardsmiths who participated in the previous deadline.
  • @cadstar369
    Time to du-du-du-du-dududududu-EL!
  • A Mystery Challenge: Create a rare, mono-blue Sorcery with CMC 4.
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/moment-of-lament

I'll activate my Prize 9 - Extra Credit to submit an additional card.
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/spiritual-sundering

This discussion has been closed.