Rezatta, the life-matters Renaissance plane — UNCOMMONS Set Design

Comments

• More ideas:

---
    Serran Vestige

CARDNAME enters the battlefield tapped.

When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, you gain 2 serran life.

{t}: Add {c}.
    ---
    Purpose: A land in uncommon slot that contributes to serran life themes.
    Ref: Crumbling Vestige, Gain lands. Note Crumbling Vestige is a common, but since the life here means the mana can be used later, it seems appropriate at uncommon.

---
    Serran Response
    3W

At the beginning of your upkeep, if you lost life last turn, create a 1/1 white Soldier creature token.
    ---
    Purpose: Nudge towards WB life swing, just a decent card in general? 
    Ref: First Response. It originally triggered each upkeep, but serran life is one of the main mechanics so I cut the number of tokens in half.

Uncommon Cycles:

A possible idea (which someone probably mentioned earlier) was to do a cycle of Artists with Masterwork. Here's a table of abilities that I would think are useful:

Color    Weak-ishReasonablePowerful
    WhiteFirst StrikeDouble Strike,
    tap on attack
    Double Strike, Lifelink, "Regenerate",
    pump team on attack
    BlueFlyingspells cost more to target,
    loot when hits player,
    scry on attack
    Unblockable, Hexproof,
    draw when hits player
    Blackdrains on
    attack
    Menace, returns to hand
    when dies
    Deathtouch, Lifelink, returns to
    battlefield when dies
    Red+X/+0
    (small X)
    First Strike, Menace,
    makes creature not block
    when attack
    Double Strike, Firebreathing, create
    temporary token attacking on attack
    Green+X/+X
    (medium X)
    +X/+X (large X), block
    an additional creature
    Deathtouch, Hexproof, double
    power and toughness on attack,
    activated fight (w/ {t})
  • edited June 2020
    Ok, this card comes with some world building:

Paradeback Shepherd 3g

Creature-Horse Peasant

When Paradeback Shepherd enters the battlefield, create a 3/3 green bison token with trample.

4g, exile target token you control, t: You gain 5 life.

I'll explain the story later.

• @LordTachanka123 looks more like a knight of some sort to me. But this card is extremely powerful in a token/control deck.
  • Wordbuilding:
    Once a year, the people of Rezatta gather around for the Farani Parade, a grand celebration with bison running up and down the city streets. Vendors sell masks to onlookers, with the masks giving protection from the dust and other things flying about. Children can buy bison horns, and drinks are passed around. At the end of the day, the bison are killed, roasted, and feasted on. These Bison are sacred, and so the shepherds work long and hard to make sure that they are the best of the best.

Card:
    Let me fix it @Scaccogaming

• The card will take a second to load, mtg.design.
  • edited June 2020
    That's basically a ripoff Saint Fiermin festival. Not exactly what you would find in a reinassance theme based on Italy. In fact, it's a spanish tradition and spanish people weren't exactly NICE during that period. Overall, I feel like it's an unnecessary detail, since we still don't have a plot, nor a completed set.
  • @Scaccogaming
    You know, I think spin-off has a more nicer connotation.
  • @Scaccogaming

Faifthful Mossbark: I'd be happy with it as a monoGreen card, there's no reason to push into the multicoloured slot ^^

@LordTachanka123

Song of beauty: It's better balance wise but the same issues with the renewal ability feeling super swingy and the general card feeling uncohesive still remain. It's also going to compete with the one revival slot in black and I'm not sure it can beat the Art synergy. I don't think it's worth trying to make this work as-is, I'd keep the basic frame of this design but try it in different colours and/or with completely different effects to see if there's a combination of effects that fits the set better.

Serran Binding: I'm not fond of the mix between non serran life and serran life gain, in this set, barring some very specific exceptions, just replace any life gain with serran life ^^ 4 mana for this kind of removal is already a lot to ask, I don't think it would be playable if the opponent could remove it that easily, that last ability is something you'd see on a very agressive 1 or 2-drop maybe (like Heliod's Punishment). I'm not sure how well that would fit the set though.

Uncommon cycle: I'd love a cycle of artists and even more a cycle of famous art, though we might struggle finding the right illustrations. If we can gather five illustrations that ressemble five famous art pieces, we're 100% making this work ^^

Paradeback Sheperd: I'd like to avoid this kind of huge incidental life swings as it's not core to what the card is doing, but as a life-matters set will be required to design a few crazy life effects already (there's no way we're not making a "your life total becomes equal to your starting life total" for instance) so we need to be as stingy as possible with the life gain on cards that don't absolutely need it. Basically, no life gain allowed unless it's the point of the card to do something new and exciting with it, this isn't like any other set where you can use a bit of life gain to round up a card ^^
    Story wise, the bison thing is amusing, we could have some of that as long as we can find a couple good illustrations for it. It feels a bit random though in the context of the Renaissance theme (bison certainly wasn't on my list of tropes xD)

LyndonF

Serran Vestige: I'm 100% down for this, it just makes perfect sense in the set as a combined Crumbling Vestige and Radiant Fountain at uncommon that also enables Renewal, serran life synergies, and life loss triggers ^^

Serran Response: I definitely think we need to have some kind of repeatable token maker in white that's linked to life synergies. Considering this is the main focus of the set, I'd be ok with something a bit more punchy, and the beginning of your end step is probably the best moment to trigger, I'm lukewarm about the idea that it triggers from your opponent attacking you.

Uncommon cycle: 
    - I totally want curiosity (either blue or green)
    - Double strike sounds really nice in either white or red but that might be rare territory honestly.
    - I could see spells that scale with the masterwork's power or toughness.
    - I would appreciate the option of having first strike and deathtouch (separately, mind you) for the masterwork, uncommon seems like a good place to put them.

Here's my try at the repartition:

WHITE: First strike
    BLUE: When deals combat damage to a player, draw a card.
    BLACK: Deathtouch
    RED: 1R: Gets +2/+0 until end of turn
    GREEN: When attacks alone, double its power and toughness.
  • Bison was more or less just to fit with the art @ningyounk, but yeah, they don't exactly show up in a lot of Renaissance stories lol.

@Scaccogaming
    First up, this was actually inspired by something in the Kingkiller Chronicles(If you want to know more, I have a few cards in a set of mine), and I had no idea it sounded like a Spanish tradition. Second up, the Conquistadors were the ones who were truly mean, and anyways, they were actually outlaws technically. And we shouldn't not include Spanish stuff cause at the time they weren't exactly nice.

@ningyounk
    For red, that same mana cost was used on Lathliss for a stronger ability

Of course, I love the idea of having a fire breather for the cycle.
  • edited June 2020
    @LordTachanka123

Yeah, I'd like to have a stronger version of firebreathing at uncommon, but I don't know what would be synergising with Masterwork?

I had this concept for a red enchantment that would go with tokens, but I don't know if that's really where Masterwork wants to go:

R
    Enchantment - Aura
    Enchant creature
    1R: All creatures with the same name as enchanted creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
  • Hmmm...while I do like it, I feel it would have to have a token maker on itself @ningyounk.
  • Eternal Enlightenment (Mana cost)u

Sorcery

Draw a card. If that card is an art creature, put it onto the battlefield. It becomes your masterwork.
  • On the topic of Conquistadors, here's some art by professional magic artist that could work perfectly:

By the great Rudy Siswanto! Find his art on my Mouse Tribal Newsletter.
  • edited June 2020
    @LordTachanka123

Wow this is some gorgeous illustration, it's 100% ending in the set, thanks! ^^ I'm going to sift through this artist's collection :smile:

• Yeah, he does some of the greatest art of all time! He's by far my favorite artist yet.
  • Okay, I was just messing with some cards, and made up a little idea for black mana gain and then noticed it could possibly work with Rezatta(Though prob not).

• Card takes a second to show up.
  • Alright, have to ask, could we have a legendary sub theme?
  • @ningyounk Faithful of Mossbark: wouldn't it be too similar to your Endangered Winterhowl?  

@LordTachanka123 What I was trying to say is that it doesn't feel like something you'd find in an italian-based reinassance plane. You could argue that my inquisitor angel doesn't fit too because the true inquisition was spanish in origin, but the difference is that it did exist in italy at the time...

Also yeah, Siswanto is an amazing artist, I even used some of his art on my cards.
  • Fated Dinner 3g

Enchantment

At the beginning of your upkeep, if CARDNAME has less than 12 fate counters on it, put a fate counter on CARDNAME.

Ren-3g, t: You gain X life, wher X is the amount of Fate Counters on CARDNAME.

Hopefully someone can guess what this is based off of.
  • @Scaccogaming
    The word Renaissance comes from French...and it didn't just happen in Italy...
  • @LordTachanka123 I know, but the set is based on Italy. It's like you would put Donald Trump on Ixalan: yes it's America, but it's out of context from the flavor standpoint. Nevertheless... @ningyounk On the subject of Masterwork cards, I actually wanted to start working on the GU signpost. Here's an image that caught my attention:

I thought I could try to create a GU Turtle Artificer with like... 1/4, and a Masterwork ability. Problem is, this card should be used, as instructed, by both UGB (Art recursion deck) and RGU (Even life total deck). I'm honestly open to every suggestion here. I'm honestly at loss.
  • I notice it's got a crossbow @Scaccogaming. Perhaps have it "Sling" your masterwork's and arts?
  • @LordTachanka123 remind me what's Sling, please? Also, I was thinking more of a "search for an artifact" ETB effect, plus a masterwork ability. But that feels a bit too clunky for this specific card.
  • Well, your idea is cool, like 

I now see that I meant to say fling @Scaccogaming, but a fling for arts and masterworks that could be more recursion based, like:

Return an art you control to your hand:Deal X damage to any target, where X is the cmc of the returned art.
  • @LordTachanka123 we might use something similar to fling, given how Temur (Red, Green and Blue) is the wedge that focuses more on the Masterwork mechanic. So we need an effect that is fit both for green, blue and red. Or multiple effects, if anything.

Since the card looks like some sort of alchemist, I'd put a {t}: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool (maybe restrict it to temur colors?)

Masterwork - Your masterwork has "Whenever this creature deals damage to target opponent, draw a card, then discard a card".  (Looting is a mechanic I can see on a turtle that travels the world gaining trinkets from its voyages)
  • Here's a first prototype, @ningyounk @LordTachanka123 @LyndonF @SteampunkDragon ;what do you think? I know it could be written better, but I didn't have enough space to fit the description for Masterwork, so I resulted on this format instead.

• Hey @ningyounk, I had an idea for a Serran Missionary, who's already appeared on this thread, but for her to work I like the idea of her giving the opponents monsters and unholies. Any thoughts?
  • Daring Conquistador 2r

Creature-_____ Soldier

When Daring Conquistador enters the battlefield, discover.

2r, t: Daring Conquistador deals 3 damage to any target.