Tuesday Tumult

Comments

• @TheRacingTurtle Do you want a hint?  I came up with two solutions when I was thinking of the challenge.
  • I’ve got some ideas, I’m going to smith based on that. But I’d absolutely like to hear your thoughts after. Maybe sharing alternative ideas for other people’s challenges, or our own, could be something we do in the following week @jpastor?
  • Custom Card Discussion??? ... I'll whip something together. @TheRacingTurtle
  • What did you slap my challenge for?
  • edited March 2021
    Challenge: Sub Zero Wins, Fatality! by Jadefire
    Create a creature with negative toughness that can survive on its own without the assistance of any other cards. It can't enter the battlefield with any counters and it can't have any static toughness-boosting or stat-resetting abilities that applies to itself. It also has to be a creature at all times.

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/renshu-below-absolute-zero

The easiest way to solve this seems just to give it "This creature does not go to the graveyard as a result of having 0 or less toughness when state based actions are checked." but that felt a bit boring. So I decided to explore a different idea.

Literally as I finish writing this explanation I realise a creature with negative toughness and morph would have qualified as well, as it'd be a 2/2 while face down and could have some interesting "when flipped" ability that would act a bit like evoking it.

Curious as to how else you thought about tackling it @Jadefire
  • edited March 2021
    Variety is the Spice of Life
    Create a creature that's also an artifact that's also an enchantment that's also an instant that's also an ongoing scheme that's also a sorcery that's also a conspiracy that's also legendary that's also arcane that's also tribal

• Good one @TheRacingTurtle, a 5 CMC board wipe and win condition that pretty much prevents any other creature from ever sticking once it's on the battlefield.  Going above and beyond just surviving to include the fatality.

I was very specific about my wording of the restrictions.  The creature can't enter the battlefield with any counters but that doesn't include tokens.  I was thinking a creature could enter the battlefield with a token aura or equipment already attached to it that boosts toughness, sort of like reverse Living weapon.
  • Next challenge because a very rude bunny (@ABOVEANDABOUT) slapped mine.

• What on earth is that supposed to mean?  Create a blue sorcery card that puts a card from outside the game into your exile, which you can cast for {4}{u}{u} at any time. 
  • I'm not a bunny. Who told you that?!
  • I'M A PIKA!!!
  • *gasps* A...Pika? 
  • @Jadefire, right, survive in its own without the assistance of any other cards, but it’s not a card, it’s a token. Very cool idea. I had also thought about doing something with feralitator’s Cosmic mechanic, this creature enters phased out, and giving it an ability that doesn’t allow it to phase in unless each creature you control has +X/+X more than their base power and toughness. Meaning hopefully you’ve got anthems out. But then that feels it’s still receiving assistance from other cards to be alive.

5 mana might be too much for a board wipe + lockdown, but I figured to make him a 2/2. Riding him to victory would be a challenge as you can’t cover him in equipment to do so, you’d have to use -1 effects to “buff” him. Hence the ninjutsu effect is symmetrical, gives both players a chance to save creatures from the freeze.

I can already see this thread is going to be a great teacher.
  • @TheRacingTurtle 5 mana for just a board wipe may be borderline but it does snag indestructible creatures, has no limit to the size of creature that it can kill, gets round flicker effects, and continues to do something after everything else is dead, so I think it's justifiable.  The fact that it keeps on going to lock out other creatures and can be dropped as early as turn 2 is what makes it feel like it could be insurmountable for a creature-dependent deck with no spot removal.

I like your approach to the challenge.  The morph plan, while technically fulfilling the requirements, just avoids the challenge; the token aura/equipment plan meets/works with the challenge; and your method of turning a disadvantage into an advantage rather leans into the challenge, which I think is the best way to go.

FYI, the Ninjutsu trigger may not work the way you intend it to.  Since Renshu's positive/negative reversal ability is a continuous ability, it applies as soon as he's on the battlefield, which means all creatures with positive toughness will be dead due to state-based effects before its ETB trigger can resolve.
  • Right, true, the ninjutsu ability doesn’t work as currently written.  Would have to be done as a cast trigger.  I’ll tidy it up when I get the chance. Maybe I’ll try add another clause to balance him while keeping to the effect.
  • edited March 2021
    If the -1/-1 counters land while Renshu's still on the stack, as would be the case with a cast trigger, it still wouldn't make the difference between surviving and not surviving Renshu.  The counters would need to land simultaneously as Renshu enters the battlefield or the targets of the counters would need to be exiled and re-enter the battlefield with the counters on them along with Renshu (or afterwards I suppose).  Sounds like the beginnings of a scenario for another week's challenge...
  • The original idea I had was he gives a static -/- to all creatures. So that’s mean small creatures still survive his flipping effect, as they become negative but that’s ok while he’s in the board. I diverged away from that to make it a ninjutsu based effect. I’ll play with it again after work.
  • Yep, that would definitely work.  If the -X/-X corresponded to the X in the Ninjutsu cost, that could be a way to prevent Renshu from coming out too early or having too big of an effect for coming out early (e.g., Renshu enters the battlefield with a number of frost counters equal to 5 minus X.  Creatures your opponents control get -1/-1 for each frost counter on Renshu.)
  • Rightio, let's see if I've got it working this time.

So if cast for it's normal cost, Renshu will come in with 5 ice counters. Other creatures on the battlefield will get -5/-5.  Due to the rest of the rules on Renshu, a 2/2 would become a -3/-3, which would be treated as a 3/3. A 4/4 would become a -1/-1, treated as a 1/1. A 6/6 would become 1/1, which would be treated as -1/-1, which would then be put into the graveyard due to state based actions.

So it's the ultimate topsy turvy creature, little creatures become big, big creatures become little or die.

Now with ninjutsu, yes, you could theoretically get this out on turn 2, but then it would (probably) have 8 ice counters on it as you cast it for UB. All creatures get -8/-8. So the one and two drops you and your opponents have played are now probably 7/7 or 6/6s... and you bounced  your one drop to your hand to ninjutsu out a 4/4, so less likely you'll do that as soon as possible.

If nothing else has been achieved, I had fun :smile:
  • 5-7-5
    Create a card thats rules text is a Haiku - a poem of three lines, with five syllables in the first line, seven in the second, and five again in the third.

• My challange was Face Down on Concrete (Create an Aura that enters the battlefield as a copy of target creature your opponents control). And this is the result:

• Nice !!!
  • @TheRacingTurtle Power level aside, I think you got it.  Would love to build around this card with a bunch of Ornithopters, Memnites, Stonecoil Serpents, and Hangarback Walkers.
  • Counting Counters by feralitator
    • Create a card that puts three or more different types of counters on permanents (not players), other than common counters such as +1/+1, -1/-1, and loyalty counters. It can either put them on itself (if you make a permanent), or on other cards. (No proliferate.)
    https://www.mtgcardsmith.com/view/yson-overture-of-dusk

Anyone who's been around MTG long enough might pick up on what I was trying to accomplish from the musical terminology in the name, verse counters, and enchantment card type.

It was originally supposed to be a Spirit Assassin that put bounty counters on creatures but I ran out of card space so I repurposed the verse counters and made a Wave of Terror effect instead.  This was a deceptively difficult challenge, not because of rules bending but because of rules text limitations.
  • Know when to hold em
    Create a card you would only want to see in your opening hand after mulliganing down as far as possible (i.e., a card with a payoff that would make it worthwhile to keep a hand of 2 but less so for larger hands)
  • Welcome back to Tuesday Tumult - It's Tuesday!

Judging for Week 1

First off, thank you all for participating... these lovely challenges are definitely one-of-a-kind and none are easy. In advance, let me apologize if you put a lot of work and effort in, but do not get mentioned in this post about your entry. There's so much to chew off with each challenge and entry, and in the end, I have to go with my gut on which of these were the best of the best.

This week was a toss-up for me between @TheRacingTurtle's Renshu and @ThePhantomJoker's Hidden Images. When all said and done, I believe Renshu finally passed inspection, given the challenge. As well, the challenge in comparison to Phantom's challenge was far more strenuous, in my . Even so, I believe Phantom had the better card, but given the nature of this contest...if I have a toss-up between two entries, I have to side with what I feel would have been the more difficult challenge. Which is why @TheRacingTurtle gets the win for week 1.

Here are your randomly assigned challenges - you have one week to submit an entry. Feel free to submit a new challenge for next week at any time! The judges this round are me (My entry cannot win.) Happy smithing!

@feralitator you get Nevinyrral's Disk
    • Create a colorless board-wipe that can't be cast unless you control a token enchantment, a token creature with haste, or a token artifact that can tap for mana.
    @jpastor you get Know When to Hold 'Em
    • Create a card you would only want to see in your opening hand after mulliganing down as far as possible (i.e., a card with a payoff that would make it worthwhile to keep a hand of 2 but less so for larger hands)
    @AboveAndAbout you get 5-7-5
    • Create a card that's rules text is a Haiku - a poem of three lines, with five syllables in the first line, seven in the second, and five again in the third.
    @WarriorCatInAhat you get When Opposite Gods Attract
    • Create a Legendary noncreature spell that uses artwork from here with Variable Colorless in its mana cost and features opposing abilities. For example: if one creature gets +1/+1, another creature gets -1/-1... or for another example... if one spell gets countered, another spell can't be countered. 
    @TheDukeOfPork you get Variety Is the Spice of Life
    • Create a creature that's also an artifact that's also an enchantment that's also an instant that's also an ongoing scheme that's also a sorcery that's also a conspiracy that's also legendary that's also arcane that's also tribal.
    @TheRacingTurtle you get "But it's so cute."
    • Create a creature that's a cute animal, but becomes a terrifying monster. This can be done by either a card that transforms or is a card like one of these: (Ascendant Spirit or Figure of Destiny.
    @Jadefire you get What on Earth Is That Supposed to Mean?
    • Create a blue sorcery card that puts a card from outside the game into your exile, which you can cast for {4}{u}{u} at any time. 
  • @jpastor Um, why exactly was I not assigned a new challange? Is it because I didn't submit a new one myself? If that's the case, can I somehow enter late?
  • edited March 2021
    my challenge got accepted? 
    wow
    very sorry duke
  • Congratulations @TheRacingTurtle.  All your work paid off.
This discussion has been closed.