Rezatta, the life-matters Renaissance plane — UNCOMMONS Set Design

Comments

• @Scaccogaming it's UBG combo, not UBR.
  • BR is a suicide aggro, UB is art recursion, so it's most fit in a UBR 
  • @LordTachanka123

Princess of Art: The way it triggers doesn't feel like it's synergising with anything in particular really, it's pretty random, and it steps on the toes of the RW archetype a little so I'm not a fan.

Toughness Fling: The idea to change fling so it cares about toughness sounds interesting but doesn't really synergise with any archetype in this set (RB being turbo aggro will mostly play agressive small creatures) and feels weird in red since it mostly will pump the power but not the toughness of your creatures. For the last ability, try to use discover whenever you want to cast stuff from the top of the library since it's in the set ^^

@Scaccogaming

Artistic Damsel: We do need a way to keep the WU archetype refilled with cards, but that's more rare/mythic territory, it's really strong.

Iconoclasm: Same comment as for LordTachanka, we have a mechanic dedicated to casting things from the top of your library in the set, just use it xD

The-DM

Lmao, yeah I'm under a bit of pressure at work (writing my thesis) so I basically answer comments only once a day which creates one chunky post every time x)
  • edited July 2020
    @ningyounk So Iconoclasm could just say "sacrifice a creature, deal damage equal to its strenght, then discover" ?

Artistic Damsel: It was more of a refined version of Tachanka's card. Maybe we could restrict her effects to art creatures only? Would that be enough to restrict her to uncommon?
  • Princess of Art 2wb

Creature-Noble

Whenever you cast a creature with converted mana cost less than CARDNAME's, you gain 2 serran life.
  • Church's Retribution w

Enchantment

When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, exile target creature until end of turn. Put a NAME counter onto it.

Whenever a creature with a NAME counter on it attacks you, you may return CARDNAME to your hand.
  • edited July 2020
    Good morning, good afternoon and good night.
    I saw that this set has quite a lot of raw material and quite topics, so it will be a little difficult for me to follow your rhythm at the beginning.
    But let's try to do something. I'm sorry if I make a card similar to the one already mentioned. As I read this topic, I adapt to his dynamics.
    I attach the mechanics of Serran life, it reminds me a little of the energy counter. It can be a very powerful skill in the limited or standard. But it is a great idea to be explored. :)
    The cards already made in the other topics and when it is finished, will it be available somewhere? I was really excited about this set (it looks like I'm living an eternal season of spoilers waiting for the next cards XD.)

Anyway, here are three ideas:

Visions Beyond Life {2}{w}{u}
    Instant
    Draw 2 cards. If you have three or more serran life, scry 2.

Repetition Artist {1}{w}{b}
    Creature - Human Artist (1/3)
    {1}, Pay 3 serran life, {t}: Create a 2/1 colorless Art artifact creature token with "{1}, Sacrifice this creatue: You gain 1 serran life''.

Gorgon Sculpture of True Art {2}{b}{g}
    Creature - Gorgon Artist (3/2)
    Deathtouch
    {3}, Exile target creature from your graveyard: Create a 2/2 colorless Art artifact creature token. If the exiled creature is an Artist, put a +1/+1 counter on Gorgon Sculpture of True Art.
  • edited July 2020
    I don't know if anyone gave a similar idea to the Arts (and I also don't know if I restricted the rarity) to a cycle of colorful artifacts that can mutate, or rather, be painted.
    Fire-molded Sculpture {2}{r}
    Artifact Creature - Art (3/1)
    Painting - Whenever this creature is painted, this creature deals 2 damage to any target.
    (If you cast this spell for its painting cost, put it over or under target Art creature you own. They painting into the creature on top plus all abilities from under it.)

It seems a little strange (because of the translation), but I liked it. :)
  • @CassZero Welcome aboard! It doesn't matter wether card ideas are similar, since this is a brainstorming thread. We mostly come up with card ideas, then ningyounk judges them. It's a bit chaotic but that's because we didn't follow a real pattern. Now, onto the cards:

Visions Beyond Life: the concept is nice, but WU is a combo of colors that should focus on effects revolving around casting more spells in one turn, so a new iteration could be as follows:

Visions Beyond Mind (1)(W)(U)
    Instant

Scry 1, then draw a card. If you've cast another spell this turn, Scry 2, then draw 2 cards instead.

Repetition Artist: the problem with this card, is that by itself would trigger Reinassance effects in all your cards in the field. For a 3 drop, it's extremely valuable. (I had the same problem when designing my very WB card for this set, "Envoy of the Golden Church", because it had lifelink and Reinassance. You'll find the discussion on the first pages of the thread.)
    The only change I'd make about this card is: delete the life cost, add {3}, {t} instead.

Gorgon Sculpture of True Art: I genuinely like it, I would have a pic for it if it was a Gorgon Art, instead of Gorgon Artist (which we already have in common, by the way). It reminds me of my first iterations of Acrylic Arcanophage (still a card for this set), and thinking about it they sinergize very well with each other!

Fire Molded Sculpture: the concept looks fine, but it's just Mutate with a different name, and I don't think this mechanic is exactly needed here, sorry if I sounded harsh.
  • Thanks for the feedback.
    Visions Beyond Life: After I saw the interaction of the Jeskai combination. Reducing the cost would be better in this case. Your idea fits better.
    Repetition Artist: I really didn't know that serran life is also life (however much the name says life XD). I thought they were different mechanics.
    One question, if serran life works with Reinassance, does it also work with Ajani's Pridemate?
    Gorgon Sculpture of True Art: Thanks
    Fire Molded Sculpture: This I only traveled in my thoughts. I liked the idea of painting my own art (mutation * laughs *)
  • @CassZero I'm not exactly sure, but Serran Life is a type of Life. Your life total equals your Life + your Serran Life, but anyway, I'd tend towards no about Pridemate, solely because serran life is a different type of life, and pridemate activates when you gain Life, which is and works differently from serran life. 

But then again, Reinassance says that the effect activates when or if the sum of life gained or lost this turn is equal 3 or more... @ningyounk we need a clarfication here
  • CARDNAME 3r

Creature-Artist

Masterwork

Your masterwork has "Pay 1 life: This creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn."

2/1
  • edited July 2020
    LordTachanka123

Princess of Art: Still not a fan of the "Whenever you cast a creature spell with converted mana cost 3 or less" trigger, I think it'd be stepping on the toes of the RW power 2 or less tribal gameplay wise.

Church's Retribution: That's quite original ^^ I'm not 100% sure what it does though. You mean that the creature returns with the counter on it? This would mean that this only prevents the creature from blocking, once unless that creature purposefully attacks you, and at the cost of reseting its ETB abilities, so it would be very difficult to use.

Firebreathing Masterwork: As mentioned before, we can't have "Pay 1 life" or "whenever you lose life" abilities that stack like this. What this would mean it that, if your masterwork can't be blocked and you have more life than your opponent, you win the game immediately.

@CassZero

Don't worry, this is just brainstorming, I'll post a summary of the cards we'll try first and what's missing. The idea is that the cards won't go directly into the set, first I'm going to playtest them as separate Limited decks so I can play multiple versions of the same slot and decide which one feels better gameplay wise. For now, I'm letting this free-roll for a while just because I'm quite busy ^^ 

Visions Beyond Life: The gold uncommons have a unique role in the set, which is to point at the draft archtypes. Because we have an archetype that cares specifically about having serran life, I want to save these words specifically for the GW one to make sure they each feel different and players don't misinterpret the theme of the colour combination.

Repetition Artist: I like the idea of the "1, Pay 3 serran life, T" cost to help trigger Renaissance more consistently, and the fact that it gives you back some life later is interesting. I wouldn't put "Pay 3 serran life" on a card that doesn't give you any though, that's something you'd see on the GW uncommon specifically. I would also like to have the WB uncommon hint at a more removal-heavy / attrition archetype, to help differentiate it from the GW archetype that will be more about building up.

Gorgon Scultpure of True Art: It's a nice way of caring about the graveyard, but because the UBG Art theme is all about ETB and death trigger, I think it would be more interesting to push players towards reanimating their creatures, and exiling them prevents that.

Fire-Molded Scuplture: I like the idea of painting over something, I think it's very flavourful. The set cannot afford more mechanics though, and this would be way too complicated. However, it can be done through more regular means, for instance with an enchantment that transforms the creature.

Abosultely, serran life is part of your life total, so when you gain serran life you trigger Ajani's Pridemate. The same is true with Renaissance, gaining 3 serran life will trigger it.

Scaccogaming

Artistic Damsel: Yes, restricting it to Art spells could be enough to make it uncommon, in the same spirit as Edgewall Inkeeper for instance.

Repetition Artist: No, "1, Pay 3 life, T" is actually desirable in the WB archetype, my issue with Envoy of the Golden Church was that you had Renaissance on the same card, so it triggered itself too easily.

___

I'm trying to find a way to make the GB archetype more branded. I've looked into simpler and more subtler stuff like sacrifice, reanimation, +1/+1 counters, caring about what's in your graveyard, etc. I really think the most synergistic way to do this is really to push reanimation because it benefits from the Art ETB triggers from the UBG archetype, and it increases the resilience of the GWB archetype that wants to protect its life total.

The idea is that it's the kind of archetype that's harder to point out because it feeds on the pay-offs of other archetypes, but ideally it would have a couple card that would make it feel different from every other BG we had over the years. For instance, how WB Lifegain in Battle For Zendikar has Drana's Emissary while M19 has Regal Bloodlord which work differently. So I'm looking for a way to make it more branded. For instance, we could emphasise the ETB and death triggers when we do reanimation spells. Here's a very coarse example:

I don't know if that's enough to make it feel slightly different from other GB Graveyard focus archetype, tell me if you have any ideas. Other twists on the theme could be "ephemeral" reanimation for instance, lacing it with land reanimation, pushing for a kind of regenerate gameplay where you have to reanimate creatures at the moment of their death, etc.
  • @ningyounk Mind you, I did remove lifelink from Envoy of the Golden Church, but a question still remains: Does gaining serran life activate Ajani Pridemate, as asked from @CassZero?
  • @Scaccogaming he replied
    Abosultely, serran life is part of your life total, so when you gain serran life you trigger Ajani's Pridemate. The same is true with Renaissance, gaining 3 serran life will trigger it.
  • OH! My bad, I somehow missed it, pardon me >.< 
  • edited July 2020
    Thanks to everyone for the feedback and for feeling well received.
    @ningyounk Harmonious Restoration sounds like it's rare to trigger twice. Very powerful on the correct deck. If could trigger twice if it met a requirement. Maybe just for Artist  or Art creatures?

Let's go to second wave:

Destroy to Intimidate {2}{r} - Sorcery
    For each Art target opponent controls, destroy that Art unless its controller pay {1}.
    My reference was Fade Away

Square Shaker {3}{r}{r} - Creature - Human Advisor ( 5/4 ) 
    When Square Shaker deals combat damage to a player, if that player lose serran life, that player loses that many life instead.
    I wanted something when you lose serran life, you lose life too.

Street Vendor {1}{b}{b} - Creature - Human Rogue ( 2/2 )
    {t}, Sacrifice an Art you control: Create a Gold token. If you sacrificed an Art with converted mana cost greater then 3, create two Gold token instead. (It's an artifact with “Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color.”)

Altar of Non-Devotees {1}{b} - Enchantment
    Flash
    Whenever a player gain serran life this turn, that player lose that many life instead.
    At the beginning of the end step, sacrifice Altar of Non-Devotees.

Destruction Scavenger {1}{b}{g} - Creature - Troll (?) ( 3/3 )
    Whenever Destruction Scavenger deals combat damage to a player, you mill three cards, then choose one of then you mill this way. You may cast it this turn. At the beginning of your end step, if you don't cast it, put a +1/+1 counter on Destruction Scavenger.
  • CARDNAME w

Sorcery

You gain 4 serran life. Tap target creature you control
  • CARDNAME ww

Flying

When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, return target permanent you control from your graveyard to your hand that went their this turn.

• CARDNAME w
    Instant
    Target creature gets +0/+X until end of turn, where X is the amount of serran life you have.
  • I know that Tutors are very strong, but I feel like this card would work well in a life matters set. The one thing I see is that you could easily just pay some serran life to make this thing a lot cheaper, so possibly escalate the cmc?
    https://mtg.design/i/zicd15
  • The good thing about this card is that it ramps, works with the bg archetype, and has repeatable card draw.
    https://mtg.design/i/ameb72
  • Somewhat of an impulse? I remember that somewhere in common there's a card that lets you pay some life to gain that much serran life, and that's what this is based off of:https://mtg.design/i/ytwf36
  • @CassZero
    Harmonious Restoration: You're not wrong, it's probably a bit much for uncommon actually ^^ I do find it hard to make this theme work, I'll propose something different later for BG.

Destroy to Intimidate: That card doesn't do anything if the opponent doesn't play any Art (which is probably going to be pretty often) and even when they do, it's very weak. In general, the hate for mechanics in a set need to be soft and subtle. We didn't get a card that said "destroy target mutated creature" or "your opponent can't activate cycling abilities" in Ikoria for instance.

Square Shaker: For this to work, you'd need to specify "nonserran life" because you control the source of the life loss so the opponent would lose serran life first anyways. As mentioned above, I'm not a huge fan of very targeted hate effects for the mechanics of the set. However, I've come around a little bit about serran life because it could get problematic by giving too much life and make games endless. So, while I'd prefer if we stick to regular means of dealing with big amount of life gain (direct damage, evasive creatures, can't gain life, etc.) maybe we could get one damage spell that is stronger if the opponent has serran life.

Street Vendor: Il like the synergy between sacrifice and Art from a recursion perspective. Considering serran life is in the set, I think Treasures and Gold are a no-go because that would be too much floating mana.

Altar of Non-Devotees: Same as Destroy to Intimidate, the hate needs to be more subtle, and the cards need to do something even if the opponent doesn't play the mechanic it hates on.

Destruction Scavenger: There's a lot of loops it goes through, it's probably a bit overcomplicated >.< I do like the milling aspect, I think this could be a way of doing green/black — caring about when creature cards going to the graveyard — it could synergise with discover in green which can mill cards, and sacrifice effects in black.

LordTachanka123

4 serran life for W: Because it can be converted into 2 mana of any color, that's a bit too effective as White ramp goes I think, even in this set.

Recuperate creature for WW: Could be interesting for the WU archetype, though it's a bit difficult to make work without a dedicated aristocrat deck.

Toughness boost for W: Toughness boosts are generally really bad, and the fact that this requires you to have serran life from other sources doesn't help :/ For one mana in white, you can give protection or indestructible which is basically infinite toughness with additional upsides.

Hulking Lurker: Could be an interesting rare or Mythic rare if we want to branch out into either a sacrifice or graveyard lands theme! It's definitely a cool design ^^

Song of Growth: That could be an effect we'd want for the more creature-centric archetypes in the set that are connected through Green. The Renewal bonus is super swingy though, that ability is worth at least 6 mana. Renewal is not easy to trigger, but it's not worth 3-mana by itself either ^^

Hollow Harmony: Paying 4 life is basically free, that card would probably be better than Bring to Light, so probably a bit too back-crushing and definitely more Mythic than uncommon.

Serran Moldervine Reclamation: It's definitely very solid, it could be a good addition to a graveyard-centric BG archetype. I'm not sure what you mean with the renewal ability though. I didn't mention it before because it doesn't matter at this stage, but ability words like Renewal don't withhold any rules baggage, as far as the game is concerned they are not here, so you need to write the full ability every time. In this case, is that a triggered ability at the end of your end step? An activated ability with a cost? 

Red enchantment: I like the idea of having this kind of enchantment to help both the Jeskai Storm archetype and the Discover decks more specifically. It plays on a thin line power wise though, generally this kind of effect (whether red impulse or drawing a card every turn) is conditional at uncommon, otherwise it's rare and gets an additional upsides. In this case, it's probably too close to drawing an additional card very turn to be uncommon, but that might be a fine rare.

Furious Rise THBOutpost Siege C20
  • Hey @ningyounk, if the red enchantment made you lose 2 life could it go for uncommon?
  • edited July 2020
    I'm finding hard to find an identity for the BG archetype as a reanimation deck because there aren't that many reanimation spells you can put in a set to begin with (I do love that they made a reanimating common in M21 by the way, that's amazing). I played with the idea to emphasise the ETB abilities of creatures you reanimate, and I found very little interesting design space, especially in green. Besides, it was stepping on the toes of the UB archetype pretty hard. 

So I'm exploring something different: GB +1/+1 counters matter. Originally, I thought it wasn't a great fit, but after thinking about it more, the UBG archetype is extremely creature-centric (being Art tribal) which goes well with +1/+1 counters, and increasing the stats of your creatures is great for the defensive aspect of GWB Serran life. The question was how to make it branded, make it feel like it's the +1/+1 counter archetype from Rezatta and not the one from Kaladesh for instance? Here are a few thoughts on that:

1) I didn't want effects like Khans of Tarkir that said "Each creature you control with a +1/+1 counter on it has ABILITY" because that feels a lot like Tarkir and it's stepping on the toes of what Masterwork is doing.

2) I liked this design that I made for common but removed because I didn't want to imply there was a +1/+1 counter theme at common when there was not:

So I figured maybe a +1/+1 counters-matter archetype in GB instead of reanimation, that's focused on having a lot of +1/+1 counters on one creature instead of caring about having +1/+1 counters distributed among many creatures like in Tarkir and Kaladesh? We already proposed multiple cards at uncommon that would fit this, and we have a healthy amount of +1/+1 counters at common.

We could have cards like this that care about the number of +1/+1 counters on a creature: