The Third Annual Artful August

Comments

• Just finished the color study for my painting! Excited to share it with you guys on the 29th
  • I made the recommended changes, but had to do so as a new card since I don't have premium. The rules said only one URL and only premium edits, but most of the prizes are premium?
  • edited August 2020
    I'm notorious for excessiveness of overpowerdness or underpowerdness and that's an unfortunate flaw I have.
    Hope this works.
    Enjoy the art. It's my first zombie
    kardon-vhek-deaths-hammer-3

Kardon Vhek Deaths Hammer
  • edited August 2020
    I hope you guys like this, I haven't got a proper laptop to color this the best way possible, but I wanted to try, and I thought this ended up looking cool so I went with it. I'm also including sketches of the process.
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/scouting-sliver

• Medium : Paper and pencil, photoshopped slightly to make it more visible.
  • edited August 2020
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/teacup-trickster

I think the .jpg file size might be a bit too large and it gets a little fuzzy on the card...

If you're interested in the timelapse, I made a YouTube video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7agANqTFMlk

This guy is one of the dragons I was doing for #Smaugust and there is more information on that (and my art sites) in the video description. The video does have sound, but YouTube might still be processing that?

Quite a few smiths saw the artwork and gave suggestions for the card design. Thanks guys!
  • edited August 2020
    "Cryptic Components", Me, Acrylics, 2020

At Her Majestys BehestCryptic Components pencil sketch Cryptic Components color study Cryptic Components final sketch
  • @Temurzoa how did you get the code to work when you click on the card it takes you to your cards page. What did you use to get that to work? Sorry I'm still learning this forum again.
  • this is also a great resource as well
  • Y'all never fail to deliver!
  • A [[redacted]]!
    Dammit!
    You got me.
    *takes the walk of shame*

• I've done digital pieces for previous contests so I really wanted to jump back into a physical medium. It's been a long time since I've done watercolor so I'm pleased that it turned out at all! Feedback is always welcome!
  • Gorgeous colors.
  • I can definitely second that!
  • I also want to contribute! I participated in the last one, and it was fun. No way I'll miss this one! I didn't have much time, but I managed to draw this. Here's the whole process...

I decided to draw a sword-wielding fighter. Very original, I know, but I haven't drawn armors much or mid-action characters, so I wanted to practice drawing them as I was making the entry. I drew different poses in this picture, then debated which one was the best. In the end, I decided to go with the first pose, which I slightly adjusted in the actual artwork.

The stage was set. I just drew two lines which would help me position the character.

The pose, now much larger, shining in the spotlight. I had a break for a few days after drawing it, and during that time I realized that the arms needed further adjusting, and so did the sword.

Details. I wanted to try out scale armor, but as time was short, I decided to make her wear plate/chain armor. I was inspired by Hayao Miyazaki's "Nausicaä," so I wanted to try out the drawing style used in it a little.

I redrew the pencil lines with indian ink artist pen, then I erased all pencil marks and added some background effects. I didn't have time to color it, as the contest is nearing its end. Besides, I'm not that good with colors, but I would have liked to try coloring this for the sake of the contest. Too bad I only managed to start this in the nick of time.

Fearless Combatant

And here's the card! The image doesn't look as smooth in the card as it should and the face is suddenly a bit derpy, but alas. I would like to hear your thoughts about the card and/or the artwork. There are many great entries in this contest, and I wish good luck to other participants!
  • Tomorrow is the last day. I'll probably close this discussion around Midnight Pacific Standard Time (That's San Jose California  if you're looking it up on your phones)
  • Last year, I think I submitted my card a few hours before the deadline!
  • Thank you all for your entries and for making the Third Annual Artful August such a success!! We will be working on the results and post them as soon as we have the finalists!
  • Thank you to everyone who participated and thank you for your patience, All of our judges have returned their responses and we've finally got the results!
  • Can't wait
  •  - Best Pencil Art award goes to Azahara, Petal of Life by CassZero

The movement of the blossoms, the flow of fabric, the Samurai stance and the intensity of the scream bring life into it.

- Best Traditional Art award goes to Cryptic Components by Temurzoa

Cryptic Components final sketch

Art is very well done. The contrast makes it look very magical.

- Best Artwork award goes to Marsh Tzygnet by crawdadswelcome

Artwork is insane!

We had a great time judging the art on everyone's cards. There is some serious talent here, and even if you didn't get picked for the top spot, you should be proud of your submissions!

Honorable Mentions - These are a couple that we really loved even though they missed being in the top spots.

Midnight Terror by shadow123 

The balance looks perfect. The art is not bad but the skin of the dragon and the background are both dark, so it could've been colored better. Also the dragon's wings look too small.

Intruder Ooze by MozVCalenosu 

The art is amazing, but we feel like it was made for instant or sorcery card. People might not be able to tell that this is an Ooze art, especially without colors.

Mesmerizing Thalassophidis by Scaccogaming 

Mesmerizing Thalassophidis

The bigger art is really good, you get more detail. It didn't downsize at great as we had hoped, but a really good job nonetheless!

And now for the Top Three Overall Winners! This is where Art and Card meet!

3rd Place

Azahara, Petal of Life by CassZero - 45.5/60

Cool art! The pose is very dynamic and I can feel its movement. Horse is a minor tribal so I don't know how powerful this is.

I don't think it needs Mythic rarity as the card itself is more likely uncommon or rare at best.

2nd Place

Teacup Trickster by Faiths_Guide - 49.5/60

I think the balance is perfect. The art is great but I want more liquid in the air, so that we can tell the dragon suddenly came up out of the teacup.

At this level, minor details are what makes the difference. I think color and shading are just a little off, and I also would have liked more liquid.

1st Place

Soul Fracture by DomriKade  - 51/60

Soul Fracture

Very well balanced card. Art looks good too.

I love this card, possibly my favorite card in the competition! This is a flavor beast from top to bottom.

Congratulations to all the winners! We will contact all of you in order to distribute prizes! Thank you to everyone for making this event so amazing! We're blown away every year, and we can't wait until next August!!

-PRIZES-

1st: $50 Amazon gift card + 2 months of premium membership (@DomriKade)
    2nd: $25 Amazon gift card + 1 month of premium (@Faiths_Guide)
    3rd: $10 Amazon gift card + 1 month of premium (@CassZero)
    Best artwork award: Custom Avatar from your original Artwork (@crawdadswelcome)
    Best Traditional art award: $25 Amazon gift card (@Temurzoa)
    Best pencil drawing: 1 month of premium (@CassZero)

• edited September 2020
    @DomriKade
    Well done!

Congrats all entrants and especially other winners! Thanks for the contest @Corwinnn and team!
  • edited September 2020
    This was unexpected, but I am certainly very happy. Congratulations to all involved, participants and the winner.  :D
  • Wow! I got an HM? Cool! Congrats to everyone who participated and great job to our glorious winner, @DomriKade ! This was an awesome contest!
  • edited September 2020
    congrats to @DomriKade and all the other winners and HMs! Also, is it possible I could know the score my submission got?
This discussion has been closed.