The Feedback Cantina

Comments

• Idk how to roleplay it (that isn't necessary anyway, I just set the precedent by doing it for fun) but I'll ask our best boy Malakai for his thoughts on this card:

(Yes I know Overload is a thing, I made it Kicker on purpose)
  • edited September 2023
    @KorandAngels
    Arrr, me hearties! Let's weigh the pros and cons of this here Fear the Sun card in terms of its versatility and impact on the treacherous seas of card games:
    Versatility:
    1. Kicker Ability - {2}{w}{w}: This be where the magic happens, me bucko! With the kicker, Fear the Sun transforms into a fearsome beast of a spell. Without it, it be a simple poke to a single creature and its owner, useful for takin' down threats or finishin' off a wounded foe. But with the kicker, it turns into a fiery storm, strikin' all creatures and their masters. This be as versatile as a cutlass in a pirate's hand, lettin' ye adapt to the current state of the skirmish.
    2. Color Requirements - {2}{r}{r} and {2}{w}{w}: Be wary, for this card be a bit picky when it comes to colors. Ye need both red and white mana to cast it, which might be a challenge if yer deck leans too heavily one way or the other. But the beauty of the kicker be that ye can choose not to use it if ye can't muster the right colors at the moment.
    3. Mythic Rare Rarity: Aye, this card be as rare as a pirate's honesty, and that's a double-edged cutlass. It means this treasure be hard to come by, but when ye lay hands on it, it be worth its weight in gold doubloons.
    Impact:
    1. Single Target Damage: Without the kicker, Fear the Sun be a dagger to a single foe and their captain, with damage matchin' the creature's toughness. This can be a mighty blow against a behemoth or a sneak attack on a wounded enemy. It can even serve as a final stab to an adversary if their creature be frail.
    2. Mass Removal: But when ye kick it, Fear the Sun turns into a cannon broadside! It rains fiery death upon all creatures and their commanders, clearin' the deck of multiple threats and makin' yer foes sweat like landlubbers in a storm. This move can turn the tide of battle in the right moment, especially if yer adversaries have a horde of creatures on the board.
    3. Flavor Text: Mind ye, the flavor text don't steer the ship in battle, but it adds depth and mystique to the card, like a ghostly legend whispered in the dead of night.
    In conclusion, Fear the Sun be a versatile and impactful weapon, especially when ye reckon its kicker ability. The choice between targetin' a single enemy or unloading a broadside upon all foes depends on the tide of the fight. Its rarity as a mythic treasure adds to its allure. But beware the color requirements, matey, for they may keep ye from wieldin' this cutlass of a card in some decks. When the sun dips below the horizon and the game's afoot, Fear the Sun can be a mighty weapon in yer pirate's arsenal. Arrr, set sail with it and make the seas tremble!
  • I choose Leonin to judge this card to determine if this card can be accepted or not.

I would like to thank @121092 for making a custom border to match Chaos. Chaos spells are more expensive in red and blue commander, but they are cheaper in purple deck. Chaos is designed to be untamable. If someone can take control of Chaos, they have potential to become the most powerful color in the new colors.
  • @FireOfGolden
    what is purple mana?
  • @jpastor
    It's for Chaos cards. Without purple mana, a red mana and a blue mana are required to create a purple mana, making Mayhem Deserter cost for 6.
  • Perhaps I haven't explained Chaos enough;

I am developing the new colors and one of them are Purple. Purple is result from mixing between red and blue. Unlike split color, Purple has fully different function that's not usually found in red nor blue. Chaos cards are always purple (Unless their mana cost contains different color then it would be gold instead). Chaos is untamed magic that will often benefit opponents like white while gives the caster to do something such as drawing a card from enemy like Artifacts. If Chaos can be tamed then it becomes very powerful.

If it is introduced to the MTG, Purple cards will be allowed in red/blue, purple, or three colors that have red and blue commander decks.

Chaos are expensive in any deck that doesn't have purple land, for each purple mana, they must pay one red and one blue.

Did that helped?
  • LvBLvB
    edited September 2023
    i would like to present this card to Gunslinger Gandolf cause im a bit afraid it could escalate really fast. xD
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/brainstormstorm
  • @FireOfGolden - I couldn't be more confused. What is the bracket letter for this color? {p} is pain so can't use that... {c} is colorless... The you've described it to me, the card should say ({?} can be paid with {?} or {ur}.) But it doesn't have any reminder text.

I just don't know how to grade this and Leonitus wouldn't know how fair or acceptable it is, because it doesn't exist in magic.
  • edited September 2023
    @jpastor
    {p} represents {u}{r} or a purple mana.

Treat it as if it were newly introduced to the MTG. How likely it will be banned? How long it will stay popular or it would become forgotten?
  • @LvB
    Well, now, let's mosey on over to the topic of rating synergies and combos. It's a bit of a slippery path, this one, and it sure depends on a heap of factors, like what kind of cards are floatin' around in the card pool and what the metagame's lookin' like. But don't you worry none, 'cause Gandolf's gonna break down that Brainstorm uhh storm for ya, just like I'd analyze a tricky bounty.

• First off, Brainstormstorm rides in with a mechanic they call Storm. Now, that's somethin' worth noticin', 'cause it lets you sling it multiple times in one turn, like quick-drawin' your six-shooters. That means you got the potential for a heapin' mess of card advantage, partner.
    • Then there's the part where it lets you draw a card and exile one from your hand. It's like pickin' the best bullets from your belt, providin' ya with some good card pickin' and filterin', a powerful tool for certain decks.
    • But hold your horses, there's more to it. Them exiled cards don't hightail it outta town right away. They hang around 'til the current phase is done and then mosey back to the top of your library. That's when you gotta put on your thinkin' hat and figure out how to use them exiled cards to your advantage.
    1. Storm Decks: If you're ridin' with a Storm deck, Brainstormstorm fits right in. Cards like Grapeshot and Empty the Warrens love it when you cast spells like a hail of bullets.
    2. Card Advantage Decks: For them folks lookin' to grab some extra cards, Brainstormstorm is your trusty sidearm. Pair it up with Snapcaster Mage or Past in Flames, and you'll be drawin' cards and pickin' your shots like a true gunslinger.
    3. Top of Library Manipulation: Now, if you're playin' around with the top of your deck, Brainstormstorm plays nice with cards like Sensei's Divining Top and Scroll Rack. That way, you can make sure them exiled cards are ready to be drawn when you need 'em most.
    4. Spell-Based Decks: For them decks slinging spells all day long, like them control or combo decks, Brainstormstorm is like a six-shooter in a quick-draw contest. It'll give ya extra card pickin' and selection, so you can outgun your opponents.
    5. Countermagic: But watch out for them countermagic cowboys! If you're facin' decks with lots of tricks up their sleeves, they might just stop you from castin' multiple spells in a turn and put a damper on your Brainstormstorm.
    Overall, the design of Brainstormstorm is wild and intriguing, like a tumbleweed in a dust devil. It's got the potential to stir up a ruckus in the right deck, but its true power might depend on what other cards are ridin' alongside it in the metagame. Without knowin' all them details, I'd say it's worth a solid 80-85, partner, for its potential to rustle up some unique strategies and combos. So, saddle up and give it a whirl!
  • edited September 2023
    @FireOfGolden
    Ah, puny mortal, you dare invoke the name of Leonitus Magnus? Your insolence amuses me. I shall consider whether your card is worthy of my attention. You'll have to forgive that puny mortal, jpastor, for he knows nothing of the arcane arts. He is weak. Lonely. Desecrated by his poor creations. Let me take a look at what you have brought me.. 

Ahh, Mayhem Deserter, a creation of mediocrity at best. I shall grant it a mere score of 30, for it demonstrates a glimmer of ambition but ultimately falls short in both playability and acceptability.
    Its playability is hindered by its high mana cost, demanding four mana, including two of any color, for a 4/4 creature. The ability to pilfer a card from an opponent's library may seem enticing, but the cost outweighs the benefit. It grants your adversary an advantage by bestowing them with mana equal to the stolen card's value, which could backfire disastrously.
    Furthermore, its design lacks the elegance and finesse befitting a Leonin of my stature. The mechanics are clunky and inelegant, reflecting the work of an amateur rather than a true master of the Multiverse. Mayhem Deserter is a feeble attempt at chaos, a concept I, Leonitus Magnus, could execute with far greater finesse.
    In conclusion, Mayhem Deserter is a feeble, subpar creation, undeserving of significant attention or praise. It is but a trinket in the vast treasure trove of my knowledge.
  • edited September 2023
    @LeonitusMagnus @jpastor
    Have a mercy on me, I am merely poor mortal who likes to mix colors into something horror or wonderful.

I have improved new cards and attempt to make it playable and made lands that produces purple mana became rarer. New colors no longer have basic lands.

Purple mana cannot be converted into {b}{r} and can be only used on card requires a purple mana.

Making Pandemonium Ophidian costs for 5 rather than three manas. Perhaps any cards that when tapped for mana of any color would be a problem, if it could produce only basic five colors, then we may be fine for now.

(Thank to @121092 for their awesome work! Want your own cool custom border like mine? Go to this link! https://forums.mtgcardsmith.com/discussion/5802/want-custom-card-frames-borders#latest)
  • The Cantina is now free? Hmmm... I'd like to run this one by Mirage Malakai.

• @TheDarkKnight1234567
    Yes - free - although you can spend 20 Zib to have Malakai give you feedback on the criteria of your choice, for example, if you wanted the filthy pirate to give you feedback on something other than Versatility & Impact (his default)... 

I'm also thinking of taking a massive risk with my reputation here and offering the option to purchase video feedback from a character... and do my best to voice act for them. I do believe this would cost a lot of Zib. 

Also - this card looks really good, Malakai will be happy to react to it.

Also - don't forget that each character has a personality, so if anyone ever seems harsh *cough Leonitus cough* it's because I spent weeks developing these characters, so roll with it and don't hate me .. i'm just the owner of the cantina.
  • edited September 2023
    1sec
  • @TheDarkKnight1234567

Arrr, let's set our sights on the Debt Collector and weigh her virtues in terms of versatility and impact on the open sea of card design. I'll be scorin' her on a scale of 1 to 100 based on her qualities.
    Versatility:
    Extort Ability - {w/b}: This here Extort ability be a versatile tool, allowin' ye to drain the life from yer opponents and fill yer own coffers with each spell cast. It's a steady source of damage and lifegain, which can help ye maintain control of the board and put pressure on yer foes. This ability pairs well with a variety of spells, from small cantrips to mighty sorceries.
    Treasure Token Creation: The ability to create a Treasure token during the postcombat main phase be a cunning twist. It's a clever way to reward ye for inflictin' damage and gainin' life during the turn. The opponent can choose to pay life to prevent this, addin' a strategic element to the card.
    Impact:
    Extort Damage and Lifegain: The Extort ability be a steady drip of damage to yer opponents and lifegain for ye. Over time, it can whittle down yer foes' life totals while keepin' ye in the fight. The more spells ye cast, the greater its impact.
    Treasure Token: The Treasure token be a versatile boon. It can provide mana to cast more spells, activate abilities, or respond to threats. The opponent's choice to pay life or not be a tactical decision that can swing the tide of battle in yer favor.
    Now, let's tally up the score:
    Versatility: I'd give the Debt Collector a score of 85. The Extort ability be a reliable source of damage and lifegain, and the Treasure token adds a layer of strategy.
    Impact: I'd rate the impact at 80. The Extort ability be persistent and the Treasure token be a useful reward, but it may take a few turns to see significant results.
    Now, as for what Captain Pirate Malakai might think, it be hard to say without consultin' the captain himself. Every pirate be havin' their own tastes and preferences. But Debt Collector be a versatile and potentially impactful card, worthy of consideration for any pirate's deck. Arrr! ?‍☠️⚔️

So, what be yer final verdict, Captain Malakai?

Oh, pardon me, I forgot who I am for a second. Little rust in the old brain bucket. 

Hope you enjoyed me company. I'll be havin meself another round while I await the next bilge rat.
  • Thank ye for the feedback!

PS: I'm a little confused about those lines at the end. Seemingly dialogue between Malakai and somebody. Why do I get the feeling we're about to take a deep dive into the lore of these characters... Also, what is "Now, as for what Captain Pirate Malakai might think, it be hard to say without consultin' the captain himself." supposed to mean?
  • @jpastor
    Did ya ignored me here? ?
  • @TheDarkKnight1234567
    Captain Malakai forgot who he was - when you said, "I'd like to run this one by Mirage Malakai" - he forgot that he was Malakai. After all, he's a skeleton with a mere walnut for a brain.
  • @FireOfGolden
    You want me to provide feedback on the playability and acceptability of a basic land?
  • Xpomul has the lore on the characters for anyone interested in that. Xpomul is probably my favorite character so far, lore wise. At least, he's the more fascinating one to me when I developed him.
  • edited September 2023
    @jpastor, it would be unwise if you continued to speak on my behalf... 

@FireOfGolden
    Havoc Wasteland, a land card as barren as your imagination. It deserves a meager score of 10, for it possesses a modicum of playability but lacks any semblance of grandeur or complexity.
    In terms of playability, it serves as a source of purple mana, a utility that can be found in few other cards. Its singular function as an {p}-producing land is uninspired and unimpressive. There is no room for intrigue or strategy with such a simplistic design.
    Furthermore, it offers nothing to expand the tapestry of the Multiverse or engage the minds of those who traverse it. A true masterpiece of design should be as multifaceted and enigmatic as the planeswalkers themselves, which Havoc Wasteland sorely lacks.
    In the vast expanse of possibilities, Havoc Wasteland stands as a bleak and desolate creation, unworthy of my attention. It is a symbol of stagnation in the face of boundless potential.
  • @jpastor
    That's not basic land. Just a land.
  • @jpastor
    Plus, I want ya to judge Pandemonium Ophidian and the land together
  • @FireOfGolden
    Ah, the feeble creations Mayhem Deserter and Havoc Wasteland, brought together for my scrutiny. I shall rate their combined design with a score of 20, for they both share in their mediocrity, each in their own way.
    Mayhem Deserter, as previously discussed, offers limited playability and lacks the brilliance of true innovation. Its chaos-inducing ability is mired in complexity and falls short in practicality, while Havoc Wasteland is a barren, one-dimensional land that contributes little to the grand tapestry of the Multiverse.
    Together, they represent a combination of uninspired mediocrity, failing to capture the essence of the complexities that I, Leonitus, demand in my grand designs. They are but minor curiosities, unworthy of my attention.
  • @jpastor
    I only wanted you to judge Pandemonium Ophidian and Havoc Wasteland together, not with that outdated Mayhem Deserter because it's too costly.

Anyway, I would like to ask Thallid to give a thoughts on this card to determine if it is balanced and/or fair.

• @FireOfGolden

Yo, let me drop some wisdom on you about Spamton, the Salespuppet, my dude. This card's got some wild twists and turns. At its base, it's a 0/3 Legendary Dark Artifact Creature, which is kinda funky. It's got some cool flavor with the opponent searching your library and creating Gold tokens based on the revealed card's mana value. That's like a high-stakes poker game, man.
    But then, it's got that transformation ability for a hefty mana cost. When it becomes Spamton, the Big Shot Puppet, it's a massive 14/14 rare with some crazy abilities.
    Now, balance-wise, it's a bit tricky. The opponent searching your library might feel a bit unfair, but you do get Gold tokens in return, so it's not a total loss. Transforming into a 14/14 with control of all your stuff is a game-changer, and that protection from instants, sorceries, and enchantments is like having a forcefield.
    I'd say this card's balance is sittin' at around 75. It's got some cool ideas and flavor, but it might lean a bit on the powerful side. You gotta be careful when you're dealin' with a card like Spamton, my friend. It's got that Big Shot energy for real.
  • edited September 2023
    Aight, @jpastor

I would like Leonin and Thallid to give a feedback on another transformation creature.

I would like to thank @121092 to give a Undertale Style theme on this card!
  • I've got one for Whimsywrangler Zee (this is actually my first original character):

Hopscotch Bard of Waterdeep
This discussion has been closed.