Reverse Mechanics [Closed for Entries]

Hey everybody, I'm back with a new contest. Since Cardsmith Duels: Season Two (http://forums.mtgcardsmith.com/discussion/2844/cardsmith-duels-season-two#latest) is winding down, I thought I'd start another challenge. Without any further ado, Reverse Mechanics!

So. The idea here is to create a mechanic that is the reverse or opposite of an existing mechanic, then make some cards to showcase it. For example, Fatesealing is the reverse of scrying. But it doesn't have to follow that pattern; I leave this up to you in that it's your decision whether something counts as an opposite.
Another example (using scrying again) is Spiral N (Look at the bottom N cards of your library and put them on the top in any order).

You can make up to seven cards that show off your mechanic. They can be any card type, and I'd prefer a range of colors. You can only enter ONE mechanic.

You will be judged on balance, creativity, flavor, and the interactions you show in your cards. The prizes are as follows:
1st PLACE: 5 favorites and a follow (or 8 favorites if I already follow you), and you get to pick an Honorable Mention.
2nd PLACE: 4 favorites and a follow (or 6 favorites if I already follow you).
3rd PLACE: 4 favorites.
Honorable Mention: I will favorite your entry.

The rules and restrictions:
- ONLY ONE MECHANIC. Just wanted to restate that XD
- No nudity, swearing, etc.
- You can edit your entries as many times as you would like before the end of the contest.
- Only serious cards. No joke or un-cards.
- No existing MTG card images, please.
-Please, please, please, PLEASE use correct MTG language and general grammar.

This contest will end on August 12, but this is a tentative date, and will most likely change.

Okay! That's everything, so smith your hearts out, blow my socks off, and all the rest of those ridiculous metaphors!

Comments

• edited July 2017
    It was much harder than I expected to find the right mechanic to reverse x)

First entry:

Blossom N (When this creature dies, create N green 1/1 Saproling creature tokens for each +1/+1 counter on it.)

It is designed to be the opposite of the mechanic Devour from Alara. While Devour transform creatures into +1/+1 counters when it enters the battlefield, Blossom transform +1/+1 counters into creatures when it dies:

Devour N (As this enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice any number of creatures. This creature enters the battlefield with N +1/+1 counters on it for each creature sacrificed this way)

I wanted that first card to be relatively simple to let the mechanic shine by itself, while still being a potentially exciting card ^^ The "vinecrasher" in the name is a direct reference to Centaur Vinecrasher which shares the same trigger! http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=406195
  • @ningyounk, great entry! Thanks for participating.
  • edited July 2017

This isn't an entry, but I wanted to show it anyways to see what you think of it. Dreadful ability is the opposite of Skulk ability, but there has already been creatures which can't be blocked by creatures with lesser power. I just put that mechanic into a keyword.

Reverse landfall, anyone?
  • edited July 2017
    I present to you Stitch!

It works as the opposite of Graft from Dissension. It uses -1/-1 counters instead of +1/+1 counters.
  • There are already some opposites in magic, just to put it out there. One I can think of is Madness and Miracle. One changes the cost if it is drawn, one changes the cost if it is discarded.
    I will have an entry soon as well.
  • @Lujikul, I really like Dreadful; there's no restriction on there being cards that do what your mechanic does without being keyword. If you'd like to enter it, I'd be more than happy to accept it.
  • @Lujikul, whoops! Sorry XD
    @TenebrisNemo, see above.
  • edited July 2017
    I'm a Galio main and found out this art was fan art for League of Legends when I looked it up so decided it fit the cause :V

Also, one mana of any color though interested in what one color of any color would mean
  • I made a bunch of cards a while ago using a mechanic called painlink, an inverse lifelink. This was a negative effect, so most cards with it had a way to mitigate it and have unusually high p/t.
    This common avoides taking combat damage with menace, and gets a boost if it is blocked.

This card trys to avoid combat damage with first strike, and has lifelink to back up life loss.
    This was meant to be a rare. It gets a bonus from life loss, and has a supplemental ability.
    This guys has agressive stats, but when he dies your opponent is forced to keep a weaker one that hurts them! Evil!
    First time grating painlink. Instant speed so all the blockes effectively didn't block, but still take damage! MUA HA HA!
    Aztlan himself, using painlink to combo with his other two abilities.
  • @MagicChess - Alright. I'll create more cards with the Dreadful mechanic, but I need to remake Adelmar. It turned out to be quite OP. So I wouldn't like to count it as my 1st entry, but I will post my real entries soon enough.
  • @TenebrisNemo
    Feel free to use the version we mentioned. It'll be much easier for you to balance. :)
  • edited July 2017
  • edited July 2017
    Here's an entry with the more balanced version of Dreadful, thanks to @modnation675 and @ningyouNK for giving advice!

Edit: I remade the 2nd ability.
  • @TenebrisNemo
    So it's a 7 drop that damages you as well.
  • @modnation675 - I wasn't sure if making it deal damage to other opponents after it has dealt combat damage to one opponent was balanced enough.
  • @TenebrisNemo
    It still wouldn't be played in commander. But this is the way it should be worded.
    -----
    Whenever Ancient Orgg deals combat damage to an opponent, it deals 4 damage to each other opponent.
    -----
  • @modnation675 - I will remake the card right now.
  • Deplete - This is the reverse mechanism of Proliferate.
  • 2nd entry:

I hope it's balanced now. Thanks you for your help, @modnation675 & @ningyouNK!
  • @TenebrisNemo, this is literally a druid with the Stoneskin spell from D&D XD
  • edited August 2017
    So, I had an idea to make an anti-flying mechanic. Instead of reach to attack another creature with this mechanic, I've said that they need Landwalk. Thoughts?

• @snowyriver21 there is no such terminology in magic as "attack a creature".
  • @snowyriver21, yes; as @atrus159 pointed out it would have to be, "...cannot be blocked by creatures without..."
  • @MagicChess - Now that you mention it, it really makes sense! xD
  • ...'Degrade', opposite of Whither. Affects the creature it's on, rather than the opponent creature.
    Higher P/T for it's cost, along with a good keyword.
    Once again, higher P/T, and in this case, opposite keywords.
    Useful for weakening a single powerful enemy unit, and a chance to bypass indestructibility.
    Powerful enchantment with the drawback of having to pay for it every turn. However, it can allow one to bring down much more powerful units than their own.
    Has an ability that turns degrade to it's advantage, as well as one that keeps it from dying too easily.
    Predominately an attacker, given it's buffs. However, it has a low health, so instants would still make short work of it, despite it's powerful attack.
    At least it doesn't have protection from everything, right?

Please tell me if anything about these is too overpowered, underpowered, etc.
    And if you do, please give me a suggestion on what to change.
  • @Chasmfiend
    Just gotta say, I love the flavor text for "Battle the Immortal"
    I also really like the idea of your mechanic.
This discussion has been closed.