Mechanic Encyclopedia for ALL

Comments

• @Tomigon does this mean cheater is going to be in the next Mechanix challenge?
  • edited February 2018
    @KrampisZman
    No. We have plenty of other mechanics to use. But someday it might be included as a just for fun bonus mechanic which won't be judged.
  • edited February 2018
    Deleted.
  • edited February 2018
    bonded, can be on noncreatures or creatures, it allows you to use that card as your commander only if you use the other card named in the bonding ability
    diverse, you may attach this aura or equipment to a creature if you control permanents of 3 or more colors
    mutate, when you mutate this creature it becomes an X/X ooze mutant but keeps its old types and abilities
  • edited February 2018
    @sorinjace
    I have a suggestion for your restore mechanic. How about making it say..
    Restore N (When this creature enters the battlefield, you may shuffle up to N cards from your graveyard into your library.)

If it shuffles all cards in your graveyard into your library, 2nd card with restore you put out becomes weak. So I added N to it.
    Also is this mechanic only for creatures? I think it's fine to use it on enchantment, artifact, or land
  • edited March 2018
  • edited March 2018
    Restore ability is evergreen, it can be used on any color/colorless creature.
  • @sorinjace
    Thanks for the notes and I'm glad you like the edited version! Corwinnn will host the next challenge!
  • :::jumping around with joy:::
    I'm hosting the next one!
  • edited February 2018
    Time to throw my hat into the ring!

Rehearse is a Triggered ability keyword that goes on creatures with the "Musician" subtype. It reads: Rehearse (At the beginning of your upkeep, put a verse counter on this creature.) All creatures with Rehearse should have this subtype.

Example:

Some cards can have an ability that triggers when it rehearses. You can use this shorthand as follows: "Whenever CARDNAME Rehearses,"

Example:

• edited February 2018
    Ok, this is a cool WoTC mechanic:
    Tribute X (As this creature enters the battlefield, an opponent of your choice may put X +1/+1 counters on it.)

I propose we bend it to our will and make one possible variant (there could be multiple).

Tribute {x} (As this creature enters the battlefield, an opponent of your choice may add {x} to your mana pool with mana he or she produces.)

Wording? @ningyounk, @Platypusburger, @Gelectrode, etc.?

The intention is that the opponent you chose would have an opportunity to add {x} to your pool if able (with sources he or she controls).

Basically it could be:
    Tribute [blank] (As this creature enters the battlefield, an opponent of your choice may [blank].)
  • @Faiths_Guide
    Ooh that's a hard one. Based on Desecration Demon:

When this creature enters the battlefield, any opponent may pay {X}. If a player does, add {C} to your mana pool for each mana paid this way.

Sadly, "Add {X} to your mana pool" doesn't exist anymore since colorless mana have been introduced :/
  • @ningyounk
    {x} would be replaced with a definite mana amount (it was a placeholder). Ya, that was confusing.

A given card might have Tribute {2} for example.
  • @Faiths_Guide Ah yeah my bad I misread ^^ So "Add CC to your mana pool" at the end, for instance.
  • So:
    Tribute [cost] (As this creature enters the battlefield, an opponent of your choice may pay [cost]. Add mana paid this way to your mana pool.)
  • Impart: As CARDNAME enters the battlefield, if it isn't a token, your teammate creates a token that's a copy of it.
    Example: https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/tribal-mimic
  • Bury(Target [Permanent Type]s controller shuffles it into his or her library)

It would be used like this:

Bury target creature:(Target Creatures controller shuffles it into his or her library)

Here is an example card:

• Standoff N (Whenever this creature attacks, you may deal 1 damage to up to N target blocking creatures. If you do, deal 1 damage to itself for each creature dealt damage this way)

It would be used like this:

Standoff 2 (Whenever this creature attacks, you may have it deal 1 damage to up to two target blocking creatures. If you do, it deals 1 damage to itself for each creature dealt damage this way)

Here is an example card:

• @Tbeast430 you probably are aware of this, but just in case your not, bury was the oldschool way of saying destroy. Are you just trying to reuse the word?
  • edited April 2018
    Ladies and gentlemen, my 3rd ability:

Spy

Spy N (You may pay an additional N as you play this spell. If you do, this creature enters the battlefield under target opponents control.)

Here is the 1st card with the Spy ability I created on it:

So far it's only found on creature permanents. But it possibly can be put on other permanents in the future...
  • @sorinjace
    Yes. I'm trying to make bury more modern.
  • @Tbeast430 thats cool, I always thought bury sounded cool.
  • @sorinjace
    Same here. But I also always thought that shuffling the card into its controllers library was also more appropriate for the word.
  • edited March 2018
    @Tbeast430 maybe you can make the bury ability alongside the restore ability I came up with on a creature for the mechanix 26 contest? that sounds sweet, it even sounds like a house dimir type card! The bury would be the black (or possibly white or blue), and restore is evergreen so technically it could be house dimir or maybe golgari even?
  • @sorinjace
    That sounds like a good idea! I will try that.
  • edited April 2018
    These are all action keywords.

Lessen by @TenebrisNemo
    Lessen. (Remove a counter from any number of target permanents and/or players.)

Meander by @Dechujoh64
    _____ meanders. (Move any number of +1/+1 counters from target creature you control onto ______.)
    EXAMPLE: "{t}: This creature menders. (Move any number of +1/+1 counters from target creature you control onto this creature.)"

Baffle by @Faiths_Guide
    Baffle N. (Each opponent shuffles N cards at random from his or her hand into his or her library, then draws that many cards.)

Bloom by @Teacup
    Bloom ____. (Until end of turn, whenever you tap _____ for mana, add one mana of any color in addition to the mana _____ produces.)
    EXAMPLE: "{t}: Bloom target Plant with mana abilities."

Covfefe by @KalamMekhar
    Covfefe N. (Choose N creatures at random. For each creature chosen this way, set its power to a random value between 0 and 9. Do the same for toughness.)

Hinder by @Dechujoh64
    Hinder N. ( Choose a creature with the greatest toughness from among creatures you don't control and put N -1/-1 counters on it.)

Sight by @TenebrisNemo
    Sight N. (Look at the bottom N cards of your library, then put any number of them on the top of your library and the rest on bottom in any order.)

Archive by @Alchemist
    Archive N. (Choose a card you own in exile with converted mana cost N or less and put it into your hand.)

Flood by @MagicalMagic
    Flood _____. (Put a flood counter on it. It's an Island in addition to its other types for as long as it has a flood counter on it.)

Forge by @TenebrisNemo
    Forge N. (Create N colorless Sword Equipment artifact tokens with "Equipped creature gets +1/+0" and equip {1}.)

'Creature type'call by @Dechujoh64
    _____call N. (Look at the top N cards of your library. You may reveal a ____ creature card from among them and put it into your hand. Then put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.)
    ^Insert any creature type in the blank.

Rig by @Dechujoh64
    Rig. (Create a token that's a copy of target artifact or creature you control, except it's an artifact in addition to its other types. That token gains haste. Exile it at the beginning of the next end step.)

Restore by sorinjace
    Restore N. (Shuffle up to N cards from your graveyard into your library.)
  • Another action keyword:

Propagate (If this permanent isn't a token, create a token copy of it.)

Also trying to think of a better name for the mechanic; if anyone has a suggestion, let me know!
  • Made a mistake - should be (if this permanent isn't a token, create a token that's a copy of it)