COLONISERS: Season 3!!! (Colonisers of Krystel)

*TOO TO TO TOO TO TOOOOOOOOOOOOO!*

*weird trumpet noises*

Back by popular demand, it's the Hero of the Capes! He has returned to take another batch of young factions to the sector of Kala-Niza, where planeswalking is a much easier feat, and a small battalion of trained sorcerers are enough to bring a whole empire onto another world...

*record scratches*

If you have no idea what the hell I just said, you will probably get it as you go along, but you are welcome to check out the threads of the first two seasons for extra context:

Season 1:

http://forums.mtgcardsmith.com/discussion/3889/colonisers-of-astraliastra/p1

Season 2:

http://forums.mtgcardsmith.com/discussion/4126/colonisers-season-2-colonisers-of-edgerim/p1

*record scratches and fantasy rave music continues*

The challenge is to make cards for an empire that will come through the fragile Blind Eternities of the sector to colonize the plane of Krystel, a mysterious world full of jagged mountains filled with secrets. (ooooohhhhhh). Your empire needs:

1. A legendary creature to represent the ruler of the empire, or the one responsible for colonisation.

2. A creature to represent the army. It could be a famous general or soldier, or it could represent a run-of-the-mill private straight from the front line, whatever you think would work better.

3. A card of any type to represent how the empire handles magic. A wizard, or a magic potion, or anything really.

4. An artefact (preferrably a crest or a sigil) to represent the ruling house of your empire.

5. And if you think of anything else, I allow up to 3 bonus cards!

Now, how does this challenge progress? Every once in a while, I will present you with a problem. A native rebellion, an appearance of a new species of beast. You will create cards to counter that problem. An artefact to represent a pact with the natives, or a trap for the beast. I will note down your solution, and think about how that affects events.

The twist this season, is that your empire will be led by an aristocratic house instead of a conventional form of governement. This is reflected in the criteria mentioned above. I know that this will annoy some of you who prepared their empires in advance, but that's showbiz for you! :)

Finally, Alliances will be back by popular demand, I will explain those later.

If this contest magically gets popular and we get to 16 contestants really quickly, I will pick out the ones I like and start the contest immediately. Otherwise, though, you have until the 1st of June to sumbit your entries, and I will pick 6 to 16 entries I like to participate.

P. S. : 1-3 colours for an empire only! No 4-Colour or Prismatic factions allowed!

Comments

• edited May 2019
    Time to enter this one...

So, the Flock was "defeated" last season, but not for real. The reason for the defeat was the mistake of trying to turn the Brushstriders into spies. They didn't agree with that.

They showed the dragons the way of pacifism and returned to Jarkonailia with them. This caused the Ultimate Eye to change its perspective and "refocus". The Eye became more open to other beings and evolved the Striders into a group of Elks.
    The Conclave of Striders awakens.
    (just a more balanced version)

The leader, created by the eye to lead the Striders:

Although Tlonakraj rules with absolute power, his use of peace to rule makes him a popular leader.

A soldier:

Strider “soldiers” are more politicians, there to convert attackers or passers-by to the idea of pacifism. Others heal and protect, not fight unless in self-defence.

A spell:

Spells are used to empower Strider “soldiers” to protect them.

More:

Though the Strider people may think they have a fair leadership, their happiness covers the fact that they are reigned in despotism from Jarkonailia. It wouldn’t matter to them if they found out.

Strider protection magic uses pure peace to turn malicious magic away.

Striders with talent for magic can nurture the land, which helps them back.

Peace shall reign over a warring world.
  • I don't need a notification, for my super special contest sensing skills!
  • I'm joining
  • @AxNoodle

I guess that's an interesting way to develop the story.

Now, is "Conduit of Life" your soldier card?
  • @kandra127

If it's the fairy stuff you've been making recently, then I'm hyped!
  • @HeroKP Edited it and will continue to over time.
  • You know what, I might not bring back my Golems. I've been working on a set lately that I am really liking so I might use that instead.
  • @Daedalus_The_All_Father

You mean the Lost stuff?
  • @HeroKP Yeah. I'd have to make some more cards specifically for this but it would be cool and fun.
  • Ok, I have a pretty cool idea, Outer Space Mages who worship galactic deities that make have magic space dust that give powers/ transform the "chosen ones".
  • edited May 2019
    @HeroKP
    How did you guess?!
    Presenting The Tricksters of Slispect.

1. A legendary creature to represent the ruler of the empire, or the one responsible for colonisation.
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/aelfdane-eternal-trickster?list=user
    Our great queen. We are a kleptocracy, so the best thief rules. Also, she's unkillable.

2. A creature to represent the army. It could be a famous general or soldier, or it could represent a run-of-the-mill private straight from the front line, whatever you think would work better.
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/thief-of-dreams-2
    Flying around, stealing dreams, tricking people, etc.

3. A card of any type to represent how the empire handles magic. A wizard, or a magic potion, or anything really.
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/dissolve-into-dream?list=user
    You'll never wake up.

4. An artifact (preferably a crest or a sigil) to represent the ruling house of your empire.
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/dreamers-lotus
    MAGIC FLOWERS!!!!!!1

5. And if you think of anything else, I allow up to 3 bonus cards!

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/fair-confidant?list=user
    Our nobles make deals with other beings. The fae always get the last laugh.

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/arima-the-dreamblade
    Our planeswalking assassin.

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/gilded-dreamer?list=user
    Some fae cover their bodies with precious metals as a sign of privilege.

Backstory coming soon.
  • @pjbear2005

That sounds wicked. If you are to sumbit that, you'll have a good chance of getting in.
  • @kandra127

I honestly just picked whatever from your current repertoire I liked best, and it turned out you liked it best too.

Just one thing, when the parentheses start in your dream abilities, the proper formating would be to begin it with a capital letter, and capital letters following all full stops.
    Otherwise, I find this to be a really good entry and can't wait to pit it against the others.
  • @HeroKP
    If I have time, I'll edit that.
  • edited May 2019
    @HeroKP If you are wondering about this strange tribal support, have a look at my current Pauper deck: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/budget-aurochs-tribal/
    Oh and remember to edit your description about how you can only have up to three colours :)
  • @HeroKP Will you mind waiting a little while for me if you run up to the 16 really quickly? I'm (metaphorically) snowed under with exams right now and so while I'll try and make the cards for the faction idea I've got as fast as I can, it might take a few days.
  • @MemoryHead

In the unlikely event that we do run to a 16, I will wait for you a week or so.
  • edited May 2019
    @HeroKP Thanks, a week or so would definitely be enough.
  • Hey, guys, @EnvyReaper made some set symbols for y'all!

https://imgur.com/gallery/8eZbbq8
  • @HeroKP @EnvyReaper Cool! I'll have to use them in my last cards
  • edited May 2019

The current leader of the Sages of Evren Skies. Evren is the plane they hail from and it's skies are filled with magic and stars. The sages have learned to channel the power given to the world by the divine deities of the the universe.

They found some artifacts from beyond their world, when activated they release a type of dust. If anyone who is deemed worthy by the deities comes into contact with this dust, the will undergo a metamorphosis that turns them into dust, then reforms them with powers or a new form entirely.

Those deemed unworthy, can have their power stripped from them.

Some disciples, while studying the stars and training their newly found skills, have been given the gift of seeing one of the deities in the sky, this brings them rejuvenation and strength to continue training.

Extras:

The metamorphosis process requires full acceptance of yourself before you can become something better.

• @pjbear2005

Love it!

Reminds me just a smidgen of @ningyounk 's angels way back from season one.
  • edited May 2019
    P.S. : You might want to rethink the power level on Oath of Dust, because Teferi's Time Twist is functionally the same, except it can exile any permanent at all, AND at instant speed, AND it costs 2 mana, AND it's a common.

The other cards are amazing, though.
  • edited May 2019
    The Church of the Broken Cog are fanatical servants of their missing mechanical god, K'Thrilia. They believe that their god was fragmented by rival gods into four separate pieces, and that collecting all four pieces and combining them together at a forge strong enough to meld such items will reawaken K'Thrilia, and provide orderly salvation to the entire Multiverse.

Color: White/Blue

The leader of the church is known as the high priest Atun. In order to more efficiently run the church, Atun has lost all remnants of flesh and blood and has become a true machine.

Although not quite as mechanical as Atun, Eorlith still plays a vital part in the church, acting as the head of the Church's inquisitors and proselytizers alike:

Since they are a purely theocratic organization, the Priest of the Broken Cog have no soldiers, only very fanatical proselytizers:

The sole reason why the CotBC is present on the plane of Krystel is because they have heard that the Eternity Portal, the largest source of flowing mana in the multiverse, is on that plane. They revere the Eternity Portal for being the final step towards salvation. However, none of the pieces have been found (yet):

The Church do not take kindly to scum who mask themselves as devotees. Any who are found guilty are given a new body and mind as punishment.

I will continue to update this
  • @HeroKP Can one of the extra cards be a planeswalker? I am stuck on which cards to include so the answer would likely help me choose.
  • @MonkeyPirate2002 Dog isn't a real creature type but Hound is. Maybe you should try that instead...
This discussion has been closed.