Mechanic Encyclopedia for ALL

Comments

• Dodge:
    If this creature were to take non-combat damage, nullify it.
  • @kandra127 I am sure someone is trying catalogue it all, but there's alot to go thru. I put all ones I make in a single set so people can easily look thru them.

https://mtgcardsmith.com/user/Lastjustice/sets/31890
  • Nimble (Whenever this creature would be dealt damage, flip a coin. If you win the flip, prevent that damage.)

Example:
  • edited January 2019
    Here's a mechanic i made its called "Dragon ascension" Its basically like ascend but it appears more on dragon cards i dont care if someone uses it just credit me.
  • Here's a new one from me.

Torment by Lastjustice

Torment N (Whenever this creature becomes blocked, it deals N damage to defending player.)

It's basically a retool of Afflict, I needed to deal damage not be life loss to work with the infect. You could use this with other abilities that require damage instead of life loss to work.

Original mechanic from wizards...

Afflict N (Whenever this creature becomes blocked, defending player loses N life.)
  • edited January 2019
    Uncover - Creature gains a bonus (be it stats or keywords) by having an X amount of nonbasic lands on the field

Example: image
  • Leadership: (whenever you cast a nontoken creature with the same subtype as this one, _______)
  • Cloning X (_____mana, tap this creature, it doesn't untap during it's controller's next untap step, the next time it untaps, create X tokens that are a copy of it, except they don't have cloning. Then this creature looses cloning, and gains reach.)
  • Darkside Spirit: (When this creature dies, attach it to target Sith creature you control)
  • edited January 2019
    @Revan

I like the idea, but then it would be infinitely returning from the dead.

Here's the revision I suggest:

Darkside Spirit {a mana cost} (When this creature is destroyed, you may pay {mana cost}. If you do, it returns to the battlefield attached to a creature you control, put an exile counter on it. Exile counters cannot be removed. Whenever a creature with an exile counter on it is destroyed, put it into exile.)

• @bigbadbooknerd

Yeah, I thought about that but couldn't think of a good way to keep it dead. I like your suggestion. Would the counter go on the enchanted creature or the enchanting creature?
  • @Revan It would be good to put it on the enchanting creature, that way if the enchanting creature dies, it would go to exile. Glad I could help :)
  • Alright, thanks.
  • edited January 2019
    Wild

(Creatures with haste, creatures with trample, and instant and sorcery spells with no targets are wild.)

Wild is a batching Keyword (like historic).

Chivalry

Chivalry N (When this creature attacks, you may tap an untapped creature you control with lesser power. If you do, this creature gets +N/+N until end of turn.)

Chivalry only goes on Creatures.

Biodiversity

Biodiversity N (Whenever another creature enters the battlefield under your control, if it shares no creature types with other creatures you control, put N +1/+1 counters on this creature.)

Biodiversity only goes on creatures.

Reactive

Reactive {COST} (You may cast this spell with flash if you pay an additional {COST} as you cast it.)

Reactive only goes on sorceries.

Enact

Enact N (Reveal the top five cards of your library. Put an enchantment card from among them into your hand or onto the battlefield if it's a Law with converted mana cost N or less. Put the rest on the bottom in any order.)

Law is an enchantment subtype with no inherent mechanical definition that can be referenced by this mechanic and other cards (Like arcane for instant/sorceries and cartouche for auras).

Stockpile

Stockpile {COST} ({COST}, Exile this card from your hand with a cache counter on it: It gains "{COST}: Put a cache counter on this card." and "You may cast this card from exile with its cost reduced by {1} for each cache counter on it." Stockpile only as a sorcery.)

Stockpile can only be activated in your hand and additional cache counters can only be placed on it in exile. It can only be cast from exile if it was exiled from your hand with th stockpile ability.
  • edited January 2019
    @bnew07
    All of those were lovely :D

I have a suggestion on the wording for Reactive:
    Reactive {COST} (You may cast this spell for its reactive cost as though it had flash.)

There are a few reasons for this:

First, I think it is more intuitive and much more versatile to simply be a separate cast cost instead of an additional one.

Secondly, it is shorter and cleaner at only 14 words with no need to have mana symbols in the reminder text (which is a bit messy anywhere, but especially bad on this site).

Finally, "as though it had flash" seems to be the accepted terminology for this type of effect.

Hope this helps. Thanks for sharing these keywords!
  • @Faiths_Guide

That is a great suggestion!
  • Buff - This permanent has [ability] as long as it's enchanted.
    Excited- When you draw this card, you may reveal it. If you do, [tiny effect].
    Reckless (This creature cannot block.)
    Mark (This creature may attack other creatures, as well as players and planeswalkers. It may still be blocked normally by other creatures, and defending creature will deal damage equal to its power to this creature.)
    Kingdom (This permanent can't be exiled.)
    [Type]swap [cost] [cost]: Exchange this [Type] with a [Type] from your hand.
    Convoke for [type] (Your [type]s can help cast this spell. Each [type] you tap pays for {1} or one mana of that [type]’s color.)

PS please fave: https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/world-record-egg-1
  • edited January 2019
    I created this mechanic:
    Hurl X- Deal X damage to target creature or player, where X is equal to the number of creatures that didn't attack this turn. Hurl only as a sorcery and only on your second main phase.)
  • peacemaker (spells your teammates cast cost {1} less to cast)
  • edited January 2019
    I came up with another idea....

image image

I had an idea for reverse convoke style mechanic. It taps opponents creatures instead. The creature needs a higher mana cost to offset how potentially devastating it can be, and slightly under powered in stats.

Subjugate (Each untapped creature you don't control you tap while casting this spell pays for {1}. )
  • edited February 2019
    I didn't see this type of ability anywhere but here is my take on a built in fight mechanic. It would be for creatures with red and/or green in their converted mana cost.

Riled

(Ability cost): Riled N. (If this creature has no +1/+1 counters on it, put N +1/+1 counter(s) on it and it deals damage equal to its power to another target creature.)

(If the ability cost has X in it, the reminder text should have "X can't be 0." added at the end of the reminder text.)

(Author's note: This ability acts like the fight mechanic, only the creature with Riled doesn't receive damage in return from the creature targeted by the Riled ability.)
  • edited February 2019
    I think I can just post a mechanic I made here, so...

Mount

Mount N (This creature can't attack or block. Tap any number of creatures you control with total power 2 or more: This Vehicle can attack and block until end of turn.)
  • edited February 2019
    Barter (When this creature enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice a creature with toughness lower than this creature's toughness. If you do, put +1/+1 counters equal to the sacrificed creature's power on this creature.)

Blast(Whenever you cast a spell that deals damage to any target, you may sacrifice this creature, if you do, it deals damage equal to its power to a target.previously selected by another spell this turn.)

Obscure(When this creature enters the battlefield, any opponent may have it counter target spell, of no one does, draw a card.)

Grow (Whenever this creature attacks and is'nt blocked, you may create a 1/1 green saproling creature token with lifelink, that's tapped and attacking.)
  • edited February 2019
    Assemble X (Create X colorless 1/1 robot creature tokens with "This has every activated ability of each colorless creature you control.")
  • Retro (This can only be cast from your graveyard. When it is destroyed by combat damage, exile it.)
  • Historic by WotC, Wild by bnew07.. I want to see more of those!
  • edited February 2019
    Second take on Blast (When this creature enters the battlefield, it deals damage equal to it's power to a creature, player or planeswalker at random.)