Cardsmith League (Official)

Comments

• @jpastor ;
    I have made an account, and my username is the same as on here :) 
  • i've been sh**ing the bed on the forums lately - been so busy lol

• Season 10 continues - We have 5 inactive cardsmiths now, and 2 spots have been filled so far. We still have 3 open spots to fill throughout this season. The April-May-June segment begins now. If you know anyone that's active and wants to jump in, tag them here, otherwise, I'll leave these spots open in case someone comes back into action.

• @Venevose
    @TenebrisNemo
    Added into league!
  • In - C Division

Is everything on the OP everything to know? I don't really want to dig through 55 pages of comments, but I'm definitely interested in joining an ongoing community event like this.
  • edited May 1
    I'm back from the dead! In- B division
  • i'll be back from the dead soon
  • @Veniur - i'll hook you up with the 101 soon, but it's pretty much on the main page with no changes
  • Ive also returned from the Dead, if its not too late. ill be in
  • Same for me, I'd like to join in too.
  • In. Division B, please. 
  • Survey - Responses Desired! Each one is optional. Complete only what you desire.

1. List what judging criteria matters to you.
    2. Prizes are not currently supported by the website, what prizes can we have or is there enough reward in the competition itself?
    3. Should we change up the 4-season format to a 1 or 2 season format and add in tournaments throughout the off-seasons?
  • 1. There are lots of judging factors that I could see being worthwhile, but judging whether it could be a real magic card is the one that seems to rise to the forefront in my thinking.  I'd rather see a card that's potentially just limited playable, but seems flavorful and fair, than a really pushed card that would likely be playable everywhere, but doesn't fit in with traditional MTG card/game design.  Essentially, the question that matters most to me is "If the play testers at WotC got this card, would they send it back for adjustments right away, discuss some potential issues before sending it back to be adjusted, discuss some potential issues before deciding it's probably fine, or just keep it as is with no concerns?"  The problem with this criteria, however, is that some cards aren't designed this way.  Some cards are jokes, some are intentionally broken, some are experiments in pushing the boundaries of what Magic can do.  I almost would prefer that the judging criteria could be "How well did this card meet the designer's initial vision for the card?"  That, of course, isn't possible, at least not in this context, but it would be the fairest way to judge.

2. I don't personally feel prizes are necessary, however, I do love the simple giving out likes to highest scoring cards or something approach.  Getting a feature for your top scored card would be a fine first prize as well.  I love getting recognition and feedback, so those all would be awesome.  I wonder if a cool prize would be to get a little post here, in the forum, highlighting some of the winner's best cards, or favorite cards of the season or something.  That would be a cool prize, too.

3. I, personally, just want to have consistency and regularity in how often something's happening.  I don't even need seasons at all.  Just some sort of something each week, or every other week, or whatever.  I think the seasons might help with adding new players and dropping inactive ones, but I will be okay with whatever is easiest for those running the show, because I'd rather you do what works best on your end so we can have something that isn't causing anyone any excessive stress or burnout or overload.
  • RoFLMao!
  • 1: I think building cards that actually fit into the game is very important, so actual card mechanics and how interesting it would be in-game is a big one for me. 

2: I'm just stoked I had a card made for me by @jpastor and someone saying my cards are good lol

3: To me, the previous system worked well enough, but I'm always good to try a new thing
  • and I have a quick question, when I went back and read the chat it says now only the latest card is graded instead of 5, how does that work with double face cards?
  • @SlammySam - great question - i'm not sure which is more doable for me to judge right now. I'm still landing on how to make this all work smoothly before resuming. It'll shape up eventually, and we'll get back on the tracks.
  • @Venevose @SlammySam @Laharl897 ;

Would love for y'all to be ready to go for the new season. If you could make sure your 7th most recent card is January 1, 2024, or newer, you'll be set. 
  • edited May 25

Season 11 (Being Constructed!)

• Garbonfloggels - dad gummit - i forgot to divide divisions - standby !!! 
  • Would it be possible to remove me from the league entirely? I am unlikely to return.
  • @Suleman yes. Though this goes in the background. Just want to point that out in case.
  • My main account is lost rn Jpastor, I will be out of commission for a while

• @Tonysparks
    what account are you using? I can add that one... take for example @TheGamingBolasChannel

• Season 11 is June - August

Any cardsmiths interested in joining one of our 5 potential divisions?

To join, say "IN," and announce your preferred division! This is low maintenance and runs in the background. To summarize everything on the first page in the main description:

All I do for the Cardsmith League is take your 7 most recently created cards, no matter when they were created or what you created them for, and put them in a match, 1-vs-1, against someone else's 7 most recently created cards. I do this weekly. Whether or not you're making cards every week or not is up to you, and you don't specifically make cards for this discussion. I'll just take a peek at your collection once per week smile

• Division A (The Most Experienced Cardsmiths.)
    • Division B (Almost there. Not quite cream of the crop. Exploring your potential.)
    • Division C (Perfect for those who are decent enough, but still like messing around with ideas.)
    • Division D (Progressing Cardsmiths. On your way up, but still relatively inexperienced and just doing this and that for fun!)
    • Division E (Not sure what you're doing yet. Sometimes you make something that looks like a magic card, but mostly you're here to have fun with some images and concepts and publish some self-fulfilling creations.)
    @Astrophibian
    @blaat_kwadraat
    @bramboy99
    @dcw03000
    @FinalFury
    @IamBaum
    @LHunter
    @Lurisauri
    @Mana_M0nger
    @Mapleman
    @Mila
    @N3p7un3_7h3_Mys71c
    @TheCubicalGuy
    @unboxedcereal
    @Upreal
    @V0id
  • Not doing a lot of cards lateley cause the website was down and forum isnt that active like before.
  • So I don't actually have to do anything, you just look at my cards? Sure, I'm in. Throw me in... I don't know, maybe D?
  • Correct @unboxedcereal ! Gotcha down!
  • Ok I got my account issues resolved @jpastor