Post your cards here. Actually see what others think.

Comments

• Hey @Temurzoa, thanks for the comments! This is part Phyrexian too, so I removed the devoid part.
  • @Temurzoa, the card is definitely interesting and a fun card for sure in a game of commander. I'm frankly not sure what else to say aside from asking what will happen if it's run its course with every player.

Now, if I might draw people's attention to my card, I would like some feedback!

This will bring you to the Cardsmith page of this. ^
  • edited December 2020
    @Ranshi Haha lol. What a nice way to incorporate a reference into a card, and your flavor text makes it all the better. In terms of the card, however, you have made yourself a slightly worse Whispersilk Cloak. (https://scryfall.com/card/pca/115/whispersilk-cloak) Besides the cmc and equip cost, these are exactly the same thing.

I’m starting to think I post one here too much! I just don’t get feedback on them otherwise, so whenever I make a card I really like, I post it here. But enough about my odd posting habits. Here’s Vitriol Harvester. (And yes I know it’s just Dross Harvester alt art, it was never used on card so I count it as fine. (Also I know Reap is basically unspecified Sweep, that was the point.))

Clicking the card ^ will bring you to its page.
  • @RandomFandom The Reap mechanic is very similar to the real Sweep mechanic. I do like the card flavour though.
    Next up:

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/the-great-god-om
  • @KorandAngels I'm not sure if this a reference to something, so I'm sorry if I am missing something, but hexproof from everything except specifically birds seems very strange. But if this is a god just having hexproof from most things (and nothing else) seems very underwhelming for a god, I think it could have another small ability, or changing hexproof to protection (I wouldn't go too crazy with abilities if you would want to keep it specifically a rare). Finally, there aren't any tortoises in magic, so its creature type should probably be a turtle god.

Here's my card. I made it a while back, but I decided to remake it (I just changed the set symbol and the name of the counters it places) as I am making a space-themed set, and this card kinda fits into that theme. I kept it as just a wizard and nothing like a cat wizard, as the character concept that I came up with in my head is from an unknown race (that somehow resembles feline creatures).

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/kalimaru-astral-trickster-1
  • edited December 2020
    @feralitator If you haven't read discworld, that's your own fault.
    (More specifically, Small Gods)
  • @KorandAngels Yeah, I hardly read or watch anything until I'm either required to (such as reading for school), or I've seen something on youtube and it piques my interest (like Demon Slayer, which I've been currently watching), so I'll say that's true.
  • edited December 2020
    @Feralitator I am not posting a card again, but some extra free feedback on your card: I do NOT approve of an exile matters effect being in blue. It is a very white effect for one thing, and I personally have made a character (With several cards) with an exile-matters theme, and he's NON-BLUE FOUR COLOUR. I do not want the Noble tribe of Exile to be Tainted by association with the EVIL colour of INSTANTS.
  • @KorandAngels, uh, this isn't an exile other person's card. Blue and red seems like it would fit this kind of thing.
  • I mean SELF exile I have made very non-blue. The Self-exile matters commander is boros.
  • There's actually a good amount of blue cards that exile cards. And surprisingly, there are just about double the number of mono-blue commanders that self-exile cards than boros commanders that self-exile cards, which isn't counting multi-colored commanders. Yes, I don't see blue as a color that would magically erase creatures from existence, but I can definitely see blue as being a color that would use exile as a form of teleportation, illusion, and trickery.
  • @feralitator Kalimaru is really cool! I don’t really see much to comment on, I left a favorite. And, @KorandAngels , I really love exile matters as an archetype, but I don’t think Kalimaru is necessarily an exile matters card. It just uses exile as a place to store its “teleported” cards.

Dang. I seriously need to stop posting on here, it’s getting kind of pathetic.

Okay, here’s Vael, Conniving Counsel, made to create interesting politics at the table, and to debut my new mechanic, Villainous. Flavorwise, it is supposed to be the opposite of Heroic.

Click the card ^ to go to its page.
  • @RandomFandom That is very creative, but I feel like the effect is waaaaaay too powerful for what it does. This would definitely be a cool bargaining piece in EDH. I'd suggest upping the cost to 6 mana and maybe raising the p/t to 4/5 because this effect is so easy to trigger over and over. Anything below the cost of 6 is probably too easy to trigger (imagine this in a spellslinger type deck with lightning bolt and other cards like that). Even then, this is almost a guaranteed winton in any storm deck.

In short, the balancing needs improvement, but the idea behind this is fantastic.

This is the next card up for feedback:

• edited December 2020
    @tookie1 - This looks brilliant and scary at the same time, and the flavor is incredible. I especially like how this winks at Paradox Engine. Well done!

Here's my cards! Give either/both of them a comment, then you may favorite the ones you like before posting up to two cards of your own:

Corwinnn Ready for Winter Paladin of Stainless Horns
  • @TenebrisNemo, what's up with the big gap?
  • @AboveAndAbout - To avoid the mark at the bottom frame. Text collisions are no joke!
  • @TenebrisNemo Nice cards!
    Corwinnn seems very simple and refined, something more legendary cards could probably use. You could probably drop the mana cost or the tap from the ability to create a food. Golden Goose (what that ability seems to be based on) costs less, turns food into mana, and doesn't have to attack often, so the ability on that card costs more mana than that effect is really worth.
    Paladin of Stainless Horns is a solid uncommon, might just be me, but I don't really get the flavor on this one. Could make a bit more sense as a white/black card.

Now that I've espoused the value of simple, refined legendary creatures, here's my overcomplicated, experimental legendary creature!

I'm trying to explore some new design space with Partner and make a literary trope reference at the same time. Please give me your thoughts!
  • @FangQuil I like that design a lot. I would assume that the best partner with it is Rograhk, since he costs 0 but is still red.
    Next Up, two classic La'ayivs:

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/laayiv-superior

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/laayiv-primarch
  • edited December 2020
    @KorandAngels - My thoughts on Superior: The order of the cost symbols in the first ability should be put like this: {x}{5}{w}, {t}. X symbol in costs always comes before other symbols. Second ability seems alright, but I dislike the third ability, since it pretty much turns exile into your 2nd graveyard/hand. Exile shouldn't be treated that way. I don't understand why this card gains other color identities when it's your commander. None of the abilities have anything to do with red, green, or black. Finally, I don't think the cost and the as-fragile-as-possible body are worth the effects this provides.

My thoughts on Primarch: The "each other creature that player controls phases out" clause is obscure. Does it mean that half of the creatures they control phase out, or all creatures other than Primarch phase out? Do they get to choose which creatures phase out or do you? Or is it randomly selected? The blue hate in this card is also silly. It makes blue decks (almost) completely powerless against you, and they will not have any impact on this creature's controller or cards they own. That's pretty unfun. Blue hate cards are a thing, just like other color hate cards, but they do so on a reasonable level, unlike this card. I also don't get why this has red, green, and black in it, while all abilities feel monowhite.

Here's my cards! Give either/both of them a comment, then you may favorite the ones you like before posting up to two cards of your own:

Munificent Tutor Mage of Truths and Lies
  • edited December 2020
    @TenebrisNemo I am aware that La'ayiv doesn't really need all the other colours, but I happen to have them there anyway, possibly because mono-white is rubbish in commander (Boo!). Primarch's first ability means all creatures other than Him. You are right in that it is unclear. And casting stuff from exile is very powerful, I might have underestimated how much that would cost.
    Blue deserves to not exist though.
  • @TenebrisNemo, what's the point of the first card? It seems redundant to give another player a card. I really liked the second card though! Nice work!
    Break the Pie
    Peoples Command

• @AboveAndAbout - Thanks! The first card has the same kind of theme as One With Nothing and Harmless Offering. It appears worthless unless you build around it. 
  • @AboveAndAbout, no love for Orzhov perversion? 

People's command honestly looks pretty boring as a commander. Voting is cool, but with such a recursive ability, it gets dry pretty quickly. Maybe making it a creature with a cast trigger would be better?

Thoughts?
  • I have absolutely nothing to do, so here's my card. Also @Temurzoa, I love that card!

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/wood-shape-dryad
  • @AboveAndAbout So I think that there are two things about Wood Shape Dryad. The first is that I think that you need to state on the card that it is green, as cards like Summoner's Pact do so. The other thing with this card is that all of the copies of this will have ETB effect of their own, creating an infinite number of creatures. I suggest that instead of copies of itself, it just creates 1/2 creature tokens instead. Otherwise, it's a very neat concept.

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/crown-of-lies-1

Here's a fun political commander. The idea is that while you have the crown, and are the monarch, you basically become the commander.
  • @feralitator, it was for a mystery box that wanted it to make copies of itself. Also, I believe that the spell color rule isn't needed anymore. Take https://scryfall.com/card/cmr/197/rograkh-son-of-rohgahh, who's red because of the border. That might not be the case, but I'm not entirely sure.
  • Also, about your Crown of Lies, this is awesome! Also someone, I think @Temurzoa, made a Mox Tourmaline that is incredibly synergistic with this card.
  • @feralitator Really cool card! I really like out-of-the-box commander concepts, and this is definitely one of those. A couple of criticisms: First, not sure Eminence fits/is needed here. I doubt this'll frequently be on the battlefield before your first upkeep. You could probably just leave it as "At the beginning of your first upkeep, if CARDNAME is in the command zone, you become the monarch." without the keyword. Second, it doesn't feel super "legendary" from a flavor perspective, but the fix for that could be as simple as adding a "The" to the front of the name.

Here's a pair of my cards:

I'd love to hear some thoughts on either!
  • @AboveAndAbout Using Rograkh as the example, that isn't red because of the border. It's red because of the little red "color indicator dot" that you can see on the far left of the card type bar in the middle. Another example would be the same Summoner's Pact that @feralitator (@ ing you so you can see this as well, I guess) mentioned. If you look at the most recent version (which I've linked to), you'll see that the card no longer has the "This is green." text because it's got the color indicator dot instead.

Obviously color indicator dots aren't currently a thing on Cardsmith. My recommendation tends to be simply using a border for mono-colors and obvious two-or-more-colors (for example, if a red-black creature transforms into a red-black creature, or a Grixis creature transforms into a Grixis creature). On the other hand, stuff where it isn't obvious to the point where you suspect a real card would actually spell it out, or perhaps where a color indicator dot just wouldn't make any sense (such as Sphinx of the Guildpact) needs actual text saying "This is these colors".

In other words, this is probably acceptable with just the green border and no further clarification.

To clarify to anybody randomly wandering in, this is not feedback for the most recent cards. The most recent cards are still FangQuil's Spellstitched Skaab and Icatiarch Assembles the Meek.
  • edited December 2020
    @FangQuil
    I'll comment on one card, since that's the terms of the discussion. Your enchantment... 
    This is an interesting ability for a Legendary Enchantment... I almost feel this would be playable as a creature card of some sort. However, being a Legendary Enchantment, I'd expect quality flavor text... which you delivered exquisitely. The mana cost makes sense, and the structuring is spot on. Where did you get this idea???

Here is my card using my most recent painting... as you can see.. I haven't painted since the third grade and ... that means lots of rust to shake off.. This painting took me less than 1 hour and was a superfast warm-up to get back into things. The finished result, not what I wanted... but it looks like my trees are flooded... and for some reason I forgot to add backdrop where the water meets the sky on the left... so it looked like an infinity pool of sorts. All this combined... I've created the following card:

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/flooded-area