Mechanix Challenge - Two

84 years ago, @Tomigon, @MrRansom, and I started a project called TheMechanix. Now, its secret is revealed. It is where we organize all custom keyword mechanics posted to Mechanic Encyclopedia for ALL.

For Mechanix Challenge - Two
We would like you to choose a custom keyword mechanic from THIS PAGE
http://mtgcardsmith.com/user/TheMechanix/sets/10650

and make an incredible card that uses it.

In Mechanix Challenge Two, the focus is on Keyword Abilities - Static
Mechanix Challenge Two features mechanics from @Deepsky, @Beeswax and @liftinggravity

CRITERIA
Presentation, art selection, templating, spelling, balance, usefulness and flavor.

Limit of two cards for each mechanic. You can make cards for all twelve mechanics.
Deadline in 1 week : June 10
Top 3 winners will get a super amazing -TROPHY-!

Comments

• edited June 2016
    The Mechanix

Electric by DeepSky
    Electric (This creature can't attack or block unless you remove a charge counter from it.)

Biotheurgy by Beeswax
    Biotheurgy (Each +1/+1 counter you remove from a creature you control while casting this spell pays for {1}.)

Collective by Beeswax
    Collective (This creature has all activated abilities among creatures you control with collective.)

Ephemeral by Beeswax
    Ephemeral (This spell costs {2} less to cast if its target entered the battlefield this turn.)

Genepool by Beeswax
    Genepool (This card enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it for each creature type it shares with a creature you control.)

Leyline N by Beeswax
    Leyline N (If this card is in your opening hand, you may begin the game with it exiled with N time counters on it. If you do, it gains suspend.)

Pact by Beeswax
    Pact [Cost] (You may cast this card without paying its mana cost and as though it had flash. If you do, you lose the game at the beginning of your next upkeep unless you pay [Cost].)

Precursor by Beeswax
    Precursor (You may cast this spell without paying its mana cost if all of its creature types are represented among creatures you control.)

Ritual N by Beeswax
    Ritual N (You may cast this spell without paying its mana cost by tapping N creatures you control, one of which must have a converted mana cost of N or greater.)

Splice by Beeswax
    Splice (As you cast a spell, you may reveal this card from your hand and pay its splice cost, add this card's text to that spell.)

Growl by DeepSky
    Growl N (Creatures blocking or blocked by this creature get -N/-0 until end of turn.)

Timer N by liftinggravity
    Timer N (This permanent enters the battlefield with N fuse counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a fuse counter from it and you lose X life, where X is the number of fuse counters on it. When the last counter is removed sacrifice it.)
  • edited June 2016
    Doesn't the Precursor Mechanic (http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/stout-battlemaster-1?list=set&set=10650) need to specify that this doesn't change the cards permissible casting phases/steps (or does it have "flash")?

Precursor (Cast this card without paying its mana cost. Use this ability only anytime you could cast this card and only if you control creatures with all of its types among creatures you control.)

To clunky?
  • It's a hodgepodge!
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/vorapede-1?list=user
    I know it's a lot to read, but I combined, like, 3 mechanics.
  • edited June 2016
    @Corwinnn
    Timer N, you forgot the sacrifice bit.

Where's Growl N?

Why is the word "to" in the Splice keyword?
    Splice (As you cast a spell, you may reveal this card from your hand and pay its splice cost. If you do, add this card's text to that spell.)

Ritual N (You may cast this spell without paying its mana cost by tapping N creatures you control. One of those creatures must have a converted mana cost of N or greater.)

All the rest I have no suggestions for. I like this set of mechanics much more than the last set. Thanks so much for yours @Beeswax!
  • I'm fairly certain you don't need to specify that it works exactly the way it normally would work, you do, however, need to specify if it can be cast on someone else's turn. Otherwise every card would have to tell you when you can cast it...
    For example... Dash doesn't tell you when you can cast it, because that rule is set in stone, just how you can cast it.
    Dash [cost] (You may cast this spell for its dash cost. If you do, it gains haste, and it's returned from the battlefield to its owner's hand at the beginning of the next end step.)
  • Just a wish of mine, could we add the Command Zone to Leyline N:

Leyline N (If this card is in your opening hand or your command zone, you may begin the game with it exiled with N time counters on it. If you do, it gains suspend.)
  • @Faiths_Guide - Thank you! Fixed!
  • @Faiths_Guide - At the start of this challenge, we'll keep everything the way it is... but we do encourage you to make cards with changes to the wording, because that will help us see it in action and also help start a discussion on usefulness and validity of mechanics and whether or not we want to make changes to those mechanics.
  • @Gateways7 - You can also make a set, and post all your cards to the set, then if you make changes to the cards, you just keep the most current version in the set and don't have to keep updating the forum post.
    XD
  • I mean... Splice was made by Wizards, no? The problem I have with Splice is the way it's written. If you're spicing an instant onto a creature that says "Target creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn," then when that ability is resolving is confusing for most people. Is it as the creature spell resolves? As it enters the battlefield? Judge! Which is why Wizards did Splice onto Arcane, Arcane spells all being instants/sorceries. I do like the idea of Splicing onto a creature type or something though.
  • @seaspray4TF3
    Agreed, I had some identical inhibitions regarding that one :P
  • @seaspray4TF3 - Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of that one, but I can see it's usefulness. This version, I think, was made to use on anything you want and remove the restriction... I don't think it's for the timid.
  • Used my slightly modified Leyline wording:
  • edited June 2016
    Fleeting Force
    Ephemeral card.
  • edited June 2016
    Mutated Abomination
    Genepool card.
  • Hahaha, you still using my intro! Nice.
  • This one was tough on what mechanic to use.

Akroma's Glory
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/akromas-glory
  • Here's my set for this challenge. I'll update it as I make more entries.
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/user/Gray_DeathStrike/sets/10669

NOTE: On all cards, there will most likely be formatting issues to to the space constraints of the card creator feature. I apologize.
  • @Corwinnn, i think i'll need to do that too because i'm definitely going to make at least one card for each mechanic. (these are some of my favorite mechanics so far!)
  • @Blazin_Biscuits - That's a super idea! I thought these mechanics would be a great follow up to the first challenge... plus they're mostly from @Beeswax, and he makes some of my most favorite cards!
  • edited June 2016
    @Corwinnn, does genepool mean all the creatures you control or just specifically one you choose?

• edited June 2016
    @Blazin_Biscuit - All the creatures you control....
    So say you summon a creature that's a human soldier, it gets +1/+1 for each human you control and +1/+1 for each soldier.... if you control another human soldier, it gets +2/+2 from it. A human wizard would just yield +1/+1 and an orc soldier would also give you +1/+1... This would make your genepool 1/1 creature, a 5/5 monster... is that what you were wondering?
  • growl was used in the last mechanix challenge, is it still viable?
  • how can i submit my mechanixs for the next challenge?
This discussion has been closed.