Mechanic Encyclopedia for ALL

Comments

• Enchanted — Tap ap any number of untapped enchantments you control: {do a thing} for each enchantment tapped this way.
  • edited August 2020
    Teacher (Whenever this creature blocks, put a +1/+1 counter on another blocking creature with lesser toughness.)
  • edited August 2020
    Replant (Put a basic land card from your graveyard onto the battlefield.)
  • Potent [Cost] (You may cast this card for [Cost] if another spell you don’t control is on the stack.)

Sorry if this was made already. Don’t have time to look through the whole discussion.
  • Align (Choose a permanent you control. Untap it.)

Meant to surpass the restriction of shroud and other anti-target abilities.
  • Root (tokens) (They're artifacts with "{1}, {t}, Sacrifice this artifact: Tap target creature.")

Example card: https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/twisted-treefolk

• edited September 2020
    Sharpen (Whenever you draw your second card each turn, scry 2.)

Sharpen N (Whenever you draw your second card each turn, scry N.)
  • edited August 2020
    Growth - Whenever a +1/+1 counter is put on CARDNAME, [effect...]

Or,

Growth - ...[as long as/if] a +1/+1 counter was put on a creature you control this turn,...

Not sure if made already. Just tell me if it is and I'll change it.
  • Alter - [Cost], Exile this card from your hand: [effect...]
  • Alchemy N (When there are N or more card types among permanents you control and card types in your graveyard for the first time this game, put an alchemy counter on this permanent.)

Example card: https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/brutish-alchemist
  • edited August 2020
    @Irihihi, not sure what you're going for but it should look like this:

Alchemy N (If there are N or more card types among permanents you control and cards in your graveyard, this permanent is an alchemist.)

This prevents cards from removed the counter and/or proliferating it. It also gives it more elbow room.
  • @joemamajoe Thanks! I knew it was clunky but wasn't exactly sure how to reword it.
  • edited September 2020
    Glyph - (When this creature would deal damage to a target, instead put that many rune counters on it.

The creature then has an ability that does something based on how many rune counters are on it.
    like this:

Goblin Battlemage                 {1}{r}{r}

Creature - Goblin                           u

Glyph - (When this creature would 
    deal damage to a target, instead put
    that many rune counters on it.)

{1}{r}: Goblin Battlemage deals X
    damage to any target, where X is the
    number of rune counters on it.
    Remove all rune counters from it.

[2/2]
  • Defensive: (Cowards, creatures with defender, creatures with pacifist, and walls are defensive.)

AUTHOR'S NOTE: This is just a grouping, like Historic or Party.

Example: Abjuration Wizard
  • edited September 2020
    @fire12, that really doesn't work. Cowards are 'defensive', walls always have defender, and pacifist is a made-up keyword. It is sort of a flavor fail too. I suggest maybe making it:

Defensive (Creatures with defender and creatures with base power 0 are defensive)
  • @fire12
    Yes, it works. Nice job. Similar to Party and Historic. Pacifism is strange, but ok.
  • edited September 2020
    @joemamajoe Pacifist is a keyword made by @Bowler218 . Cowards are, well, cowards. There are quite a few cards with power 0 that are not defensive, and also cards that could lower a creature's power to 0. Also, this is basically only for custom cards, and not all custom Walls have defender.
  • @fire12, they can lose defender, but always start with defender. And cowards are not defensive, nor offensive.
  • Hideout [Cost] (When this permanent enters the battlefield, you may pay [Cost]. If you do, exile it. You may return it to the battlefield any time you could cast a sorcery.)
  • Grudge N (Sacrifice N creatures.)

Somebody HAD to have made this before. Anyone?

• @RandomFandom Just so you know, the way Glyph is worded, the activated ability in your example is just going to add more rune counters to the creature, then take them all off with its resolution. I suggest adding a clause.

Try Glyph - (When ~ would deal damage to a target, you may put that many rune counters on it instead.) The "May" gives you the option to add counters, that way, in the example above, the goblin can use the activated ability to actually deal damage, instead of just accumulating rune counters. Hope this helps.
  • @joemamajoe
    What if a wall were to lose defender through some way? It's still a wall, and still requires being defensive. 
  • @joemamajoe where are you getting these mechanics from? I don't see some of the recent ones on your page. If you aren't going to use the mechanics, why are you creating them?
  • Switchback {mana} (Target opponent gains control
    of this card. They can't give it back to you.)

• @SNAPcreator7 @joemamajoe
    Yeah, are you creating mechanics for the sake of creating 'em? 
  • This place is becoming more like Mechanic idea book for all haha.
  • @joemamajoe
    I think "Sacrifice N creatures" is too short to be keyworded.
  • Tremolo N (When this permanent is put into your graveyard from the battlefield, you may exile N other cards from your graveyard. If you do, return this permanent to the battlefield. Otherwise, exile it.)

Example: https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/holy-chorister
  • @Revan I had realized that, but that’s not what I want the mechanic to do. I think it should instead be worded,

Glyph (When this creature deals combat damage to a target, instead put that many rune counters on it.)

That way it can still deal noncombat damage.