Post your cards here. Actually see what others think.

Comments

• @JMGreer41 To start, I'll agree with the feedback Animist has provided. Transform is a mechanic that basically exists for concepts like these, so it seems like it's worth using. Anyhow, I'll do my general thing of wording and feedback for the card:
    {R}{R}, Sacrifice CARDNAME: Search your library for a card named The Hulk, put it onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle your library. [I've opted not to make this a keyword in this example, since it has an annoyingly large number of variables and weird visual setup if it is one, and transform'll probably overwrite it in the end anyway]
    And a little feedback:

- It's impossible for me to evaluate the balance of the card properly, since it centres around a card (The Hulk) that doesn't seem to exist at the moment.

- I can still provide a little flavor-based feedback, though. While I will admit to knowing very little indeed about the Hulk, I get the sense that the cost of "transforming" here is very low. The idea of the Hulk according to my knowledge as a near-unstoppable raging giant hardly fits with a creature that can be brought out for an investment of a few paltry red mana.

- Introducing green to the card (or at least the Hulk / transformation) might be a good idea. Again, very little knowledge, but I get the sense that it'd fit with the Hulk's idea of savagery etc.

- "Scientist" isn't a creature type in MTG. While you certainly could choose to introduce it yourself for custom reasons, I might recommend simply making Banner a human. I kind of get the sense that it might even serve well to emphasise the difference between man and monster.

- Unfortunately, it's borderline impossible to define who did art out of a comic, but it seems very likely that the art you're using was at the very least pencilled by David Marquez, so it might be worth putting him into the artist credit box.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Next is this. The stored spell mechanic's mine, there are a few ruling clarifications in the card comments. It's flavored after Kaldheim, an upcoming set based on Norse mythos. Give the card a favorite and / or a useful comment before posting up to two cards of your own.

• @MemoryHead - Howling Berserker could just have its stored instant and enrage combined. Whenever it's dealt damage, you pay the cost and target creature you control fights. But the stored mechanic is cool. It could find a home in a deck that cares about instants. Do you have cards that care about permanents with stored spells? Anyways, favorited!

Here's my card. Post a constructive comment on it and/or favorite it before posting up to two cards of your own:

Thief of Charms
  • @TenebrisNemo - I really like the card but if I'm being honest I'm a bit torn about keywording a mechanic that, by definition, relegates pretty much every card its on to the sideboard. When I think of keywords, I think of something I can build around rather than something that's dependent on the opponent. I get that this card is obviously sideboard material anyway but any other otherwise-mainboardable card will have to be overcosted to balance the cost reduction and will probably therefore wind up in the sideboard regardless.

I love what the card's doing - I'm just not sure this is one of those mechanics you want to keyword (unless there's something very particular about the rest of the set that makes it work). Cool card nonetheless!
  • @TenebrisNemo , I'm going to second Animist on this one. Antagonism doesn't need to be keyworded.
  • @TenebrisNemo Thief of Charms is a little weak. It is only useful if your opponent is playing an artifact deck, in which it's power is moderate. That being said, it is either a bad card most of the time or a moderate card a tiny bit of the time, which isn't all that great. I would get rid of the Spell part in "gain control of target artifact." That way, it is a little more powerful. Also, I do agree with Potato13 and Animist. Here's my card:
  • @fire12 I'm just going to do a few feedback points:

- I'm not really sure what this is supposed to represent. Presumably there's some sort of story behind an effect this convoluted / specific, and the Throne of Eldraine set symbol makes me suspect this even more (since that was all about tales and stuff). However, I don't know what tale it might be, and so my feedback can't factor it in. If it isn't based on a story, it seems strangely specific, to the point where it might need a little toning down.

- In its present state, I'm relatively certain that this is extremely overpowered due to a rules oversight. I'm pretty sure that if you cast this (let's just say you choose to enchant yourself) and you have no creatures, it won't get the curse counters since you haven't chosen creatures. Then, on your next upkeep, since none of the "chosen creatures" are on the battlefield since they never existed, it tries to remove a counter, finds that there aren't any, pops, and you get a 9/9 flying creature. As you can probably guess, this is quite powerful, and needs fixing.

- This may relate to the "I don't know the story" point, but the ability in general feels somewhat odd, and it's probably a bit underpowered (excluding the existence of the no-creatures exploit I mentioned above). Let's imagine a version without the exploit. I play it and pick a couple of creatures. Barring counter-removal tricks, at least one of those creatures has to live for five whole turns, which can be quite hard. In addition, you probably can't play this on an early turn, since with the exploit gone then there'll have to be a player with at least two creatures for you to enchant. Exactly when that happens depends on formats and the decks you and your opponent are playing, but it's going to take at least a few turns, and then a wait of five more afterwards. If both of the chosen creatures end up dead at any point, then the card's dead in the metaphorical water.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Next... Star Wars for some reason? The darkside mechanic was created by the user zizick123. In case you're planning to talk about the flavor or something, be aware that I'm an ignorant pleb on the subject of this particular fandom. Anyway, give one or both of the cards a favorite and / or a useful comment before posting up to two cards of your own.

• edited September 2020
    @MemoryHead You may see that Knight's Final Curse specifics "choose two target creatures" and, if you look up the rulings, if a spell doesn't have all its targets, you may not cast the spell. Also, you will probably have to play it on turn 3, possibly 2. Then, the owner of those creatures will probably attack with those creatures constantly, trying to get rid of them. In the real, Knight's Final Curse card is probably weak for a rare.
  • edited September 2020
    @fire12 That's a ruling that applies to targets chosen as you cast the spell, which applies to instant and sorcery spells, and Aura enchantments specifically for the thing they're enchanting. It doesn't work in conjunction with an enchantment's enter the battlefield trigger, since it only cares about getting targets once it enters. You can play it just fine, then the ability fizzles and it doesn't get counters. For the sake of giving one example among the many, many examples available, Cast Out (Scryfall page: https://scryfall.com/card/c20/79/cast-out ) can be played when an opponent doesn't have anything to be cast out perfectly well. It just won't have anything to target when it enters.
  • @fire12 I can't see anything wrong with this and I love the Star Wars theme here. My only comment is great work!
  • edited September 2020
    @KrakenSalad interesting card. I almost feel like you can have it's ability be a permenant landfall as it's kinda unreliable for that cost to have to wait for damage to dealt to it. Maybe consider having an ability that fetches an island when damage is dealt to it, thus triggering it's landfall, and to balance it out, maybe just have it return a creature to it's owners hand? 

How about another star wars card? This one is using my own mechanic:

Jango Fett Galactic Hunter

I thought his cloning ability was a cool flavor to his character and history, being the father of clones and what not. What do you guys think?
  • @KrakenSalad Presumably that comment's aimed at me and you just @-ed fire12 by accident?
  • Oh... Yeah lol. Sorry
  • @zizick123, cool mechanic. For non-evergreen mechanics, one typically puts it on its own paragraph. There are exceptions of course, but that's the one thing I would change (in addition to crediting the artist of course!)

Thoughts?

At Her Majestys Behest At Her Majestys Behest At Her Majestys Behest
  • @Temurzoa Oh boy, those are some cards. I'll try to run through them as well as I can within reason, but please be aware that I may fail to mention things since going over three interlocking cards like this fully, along with applications and stuff, would probably take an essay that I have neither the time nor the inclination to write. Obviously I'm considering balance and stuff with commander in mind since that's what they're for. Here we go:

- I'll start with a big issue: the trio mechanic's layout. As it currently is, it's either something that shouldn't be mechanised (because it can literally only ever appear here) or something where it needs to read something like "Trio with NAME and NAME" (in a similar fashion to partner). I acknowledge that this is probably a massive issue for space or something, but those are the rules and there's no bypassing them.

- Second issue comes with the balance of the trio mechanic in the commander format. Assuming that I might take this as an example of trio card quality, interaction, and so on, it's horrendous. Your trio is basically like starting with a card that synergises and never, ever goes away, and if this is an example to be taken then all of those cards are powerful, high-synergy tools. In addition, none of the cards in a trio actually pay commander tax outside of niche situations, and those are so rare that the tax'll probably never exist. I know that it depends on how competitive the play environment is and stuff, but the tax exists for a good reason and the cards that bypass it are few and pretty strong.

I know that you can only have one of the trio at a time and all of that stuff, and I understand that it's supposed to counteract the "you start with more cards in hand" argument thing, but it brings issues of its own.

- Mechanical concept balance aside for a moment, the aesthetic unity you've got going on between the three is wonderful. My only tiny point there is that a 2/2 blue flying Insect token seems a bit strange, but that's marginal.

Next, this. Give it a favorite and / or a useful comment, then post up to two cards of your own.

• I like it a lot @MemoryHead. It really fits as a green black card, while also pushing hybrid green black. I don't think I would change anything.

Here's a card I want some feedback on (its an un card):
    Force of Deception
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/force-of-deception
  • @ChoyBoi Weak. Once you use it, the opponent will know that card, and whenever you play against that player, this will just be a five mana counter spell. Also, if you try to convince them you aren't going to counter their spell, they might get suspicious. Here's my card:
  • @fire12 - This seems pretty balanced and flavorful, but it's not in proper MTG language. Here's how I think it should be worded:

Counter target spell unless that spell's controller exiles a creature they control.

Also, "then" in the flavor text should be "than."

Here's my card. Post a constructive comment on it and/or favorite it before posting up to two cards of your own:

Gyre Reviser
  • @TenebrisNemo, cool card! mechanically it fits with Gyre Reviser, but I'm still not sure whether phase manipulation in green is correct. Still it makes me very curious Would any other colors get access to phase manipulation and in what way? Probably Red with its precedent of extra combat phases. Sweet stuff.

Thoughts on my own hybrid card?
  • edited September 2020
    @Temurzoa
    I left a comment on your card page.

Next Up:
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/tatterwing-glutton

Leave a comment and/or a like on Tatterwing's card page and then post up to two cards of your own!
  • @Faiths_Guide A little to powerful in my opinion. If you are playing in a multiplayer, this would be even more powerful. You and everyone else mill 5 cards, so there will probably be 3 creatures, so on average you will be getting a 5 mana 6/6 with flying and each player mills 5. With even more players, the power level multiplies. Its power level can range from OK to OP. I would suggest lowering the p/t or the amount of cards milled. Here's my card:
  • edited September 2020
    @fire12
    Multiplayer is a good point. It should be reworded to "you and target opponent each mill five" instead of each player mills. Thanks!

*EDIT* Updated & P/T was dropped as well :)
  • edited September 2020
    @fire12
    Looks like a niche card. Probably good in a deck where you can sac your land with a good ramp too. I dunno, seems kinda not really useful card really. Even it's a pass in an elemental deck because they're rarely sacrificing their own lands.. 

So, here's my artifact card...

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/curators-collectionary
  • @Fallen_Lord_Vulganos Super cool card I like it! One thing I think is I almost wonder if its worth Having it just exile those cards, then have it's ability let you play them until end of turn, unless you were wanting fossilize to be a specific mechanic over a set of cards that interact with each other, and that would be cool too. This would be an instant commander staple I feel like! I wonder is it worth considering increasing it's casting cost to 4, because, pseudo-tutoring three cards is a powerful effect.

Alright here is mine!

• @zizick123 - The effect is cool and the way it's executed is witty, but the wording of the last effect is not in proper MTG language. Taking example from Soulflayer, here's how I think it should be put (I also added the "nonland" clause, since I think it suits black):

Until end of turn, you may cast nonland cards exiled with Nether's Reach delve ability.

Mordhau Mist
  • @Mir-151414 I'll start with a disclaimer, which is that I know practically nothing about ChoyBoi as a creator. As such, be aware that there are certain aspects to the card that I may be utterly blind to. Anyhow, I'll do a wording fix and then follow it up with some points:
    Flying, trample [trample doesn't need a capital letter, no full stop is needed at the end]

Whenever CARDNAME deals combat damage to a creature, if that creature would die this turn, put a poison counter on target creature you don't control for each Demon you control.

"The huge green beast was soon identified by the horrific smell which emanated from it, that made all gasp and choke as its wings beat the air."
    --Greva, historian
        [The quote source should be on a new line, and needs a long-dash at the start rather than a bunch of hyphens. Also, it doesn't need a full stop]
    A couple of general feedback points:

- I haven't a clue what the relevance of a poison counter is to a creature. None, I believe, and if you've invented one then it isn't clear. Presumably you've got mixed up, and either intended for the poison counters to be placed on players (functioning like infect) or to be -1/-1 counters. If you meant it to be infect, I'd recommend changing the card's set symbol to something about Phyrexia. If it has some other meaning, make it clear.

- It may be the case that this could be a little cheaper, or a little more powerful on the stats front. Regardless of what the second ability's supposed to be doing, it's relatively hard to make activate and very hard to support outside of EDH or something (since you need lots of Demons, and they aren't a common creature type). As such, I get a vague sense that in many cases this is just a six-mana 4/4 flying trample, and while that's alright if you're a limited player then everyone else may feel otherwise.

A modal dual-faced card (those flippy things from Zendikar Rising). I'd normally do my generic spiel about "give one or both" but since they're the same card then that hardly applies. Favorite and / or provide a useful comment of some sort before posting up to two cards of your own.

• @MemoryHead I honestly have no idea about myself as a creator, I literally just create stuff that comes to mind. Anyway, onto your card. For the concept, I'm not sure how icefall ruins and riverwheel whirler tie together for story purposes. However, for the card itself, I think its a really cool card. The riverwheel whirler side's two abilities are pretty balanced, and the icefall ruins are on par with the printed modal DFCs. 

Here's my card:
    Nyxspore Fungi
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/nyxspore-fungi
  • I just realized how they fit together @MemoryHead, so ignore my comment about how they don't.
  • @ChoyBoi - It seems balanced, but it's hard for me to imagine the Nyx having fungi. The creatures in the artwork seem kinda alien as well when compared to other creatures of the plane.

Also, I think it would look prettier if the text was large, but that's just my opinion.

Swift Execution