Theros DnD Book; Mythic Odysseys of Theros

edited March 2020 in Off-topic Chat
https://www.dndbeyond.com/marketplace/source/mythic-odysseys-of-theros

We are finally getting to Theros after having Ravnica featured in its own DnD expansion book.

That means that, in addition to getting to be able to play in Theros, Dominaria might be next.

Comments

• Dominaria already has a Plane Shift document: https://media.wizards.com/2018/downloads/magic/Plane_Shift_Dominaria.pdf

On another hand, I'm extremely excited for the Theros book
  • Why is Theros getting its own book?
  • Because it's a prime candidate for a source book, DnD has never been in a Greek setting before, they've only touched on the myths a little bit for worldbuilding
  • I get the impression that they'll just skip over Dominaria like they did with Eldraine. Ravnica has a certain general appeal, being a cool, massive city world with an interesting government structure in the guilds. Theros boasts something similar, with its fantasy-Greece aesthetic and interesting take on gods and their relationship with the mortal world.

Dominaria just doesn't have that, considering it's so dependant on its own history to be interesting. It has limited outward appeal, and therefore lacks the power to sell itself to a general audience.

The next one is likely going to be Zendikar, considering its thematic return to a plane of adventure and exploring ancient ruins. It's also the next "return" set, which seems to be the other through line for this new product and Guildmaster's Guide.
  • edited March 2020
    While I'm excited for Theros to become an official world in D&D, I'm a bit burnt out by the sheer mass of new worlds at this point. Currently, there is a 5e book for the Sword Coast, Barovia, Ravnica, Eberron, Wildemont, and Theros. Three of those will be released in a row. Ghosts of Saltmarsh was set in Greyhawk, and the worlds of Kryn and Athas are regularly mentioned in sourcebooks too. To me it feels like a little bit of an information overload. There is no possible way I can play in all of these worlds at this rate.

• Me, I just want the older stuff back. Dragonlance, PlaneScape, stuff like that
  • Man, Planescape would be cool to see again (hopefully pre-Faction War)
  • So, I was actually running a campaign based off of Theros for awhile, heres a map I did for it. I chose to make it a low-magic world so I changed quite a bit, but there's still alot of names you might recognize. Super dope they'll be doing this, I love alternative worlds. We need more interesting, diverse (in cultural inspiration) and less tone-deaf settings in D&D.

• Consider yourself 
  • bro I got the book and it is so cool
This discussion has been closed.