ENCOUNTERS - GAME ON!

Comments

• I will send out my first boss creature. (19 cards remain)

Mighty Devastator
    Mighty Devastator by jpastor | MTG Cardsmith

Alter Ego is a transform ability for creature cards via an activated ability, except the new creature has summoning sickness. Therefore, the mechanic follows most transform rulings.

End Turn
  • Let's get right into this then. There's a curse heading Jpastor's way.

• edited June 2023
    Just one creature? I thought we were here to have a good time! Don’t worry though, I brought friends!

All four of the demons will get +1/+1 counters from riot.
  • Let’s get some support up in this battle.

• edited June 2023
    I'll play this:

Targeting jpastor
  • Let's add to the party.

• edited June 2023
    Okay -  we're going to play this on the end step... 
    Artisans Sorrow
    targeting Overwhelming Splendor since it shuts down my entire deck

Feel free to copy it with trickster's thing and double target your own dude.

Then on my turn... start by attacking with Mighty Devastator ... triggering the ability that allows me to destroy the Golem... which gives you 3 little cute Golems... - before blockers are declare, I'll activate alter ego to flip the creature, just in case you decide to combo block. Mighty Devastator becomes

Atomic Devastator 

Edit --> Cards (18)
  • @jpastor fyi, Rampage is an existing keyword ability: Rampage N (Whenever this creature becomes blocked, it gets +N/+N until end of turn for each creature blocking it beyond the first.)

(Your Rampage here is similar to half of the Bushido X ability of Fumiko the Lowblood.)
  • @cadstar369
    You are right - i messed that up didn't I? I updated it with the correct wording...
  • edited June 2023
    @jpastor now X is undefined for the Rampage ability. ?

Edit: NVM, saw the second update.
  • Yeah @cadstar369
    I just fixed that too lol
  • edited June 2023
    That’s it?! Feels like you’re holding out on us. Let’s see what fun toys you have over there. Sending this guy straight to your face (choosing haste for riot), and will mill you if it hits.

• edited July 2023
    Looks like the community allows my Devastator to remain in existence. Adding another creature to your board, eh? So, I'm going to assume y'all combo blocked with the 3/3 golems... lets equal trade... bye bye Devastator... I'm punched in the gut (probably) with a swing from a Demon swing... and they all untap with that pesky Paradox Engine thanks to Heckling Harrier being played... okay - i need more offense and defense!

I'll play:
    Flame Dragon
    Flame Dragon by jpastor | MTG Cardsmith

With this simple turn, let's see how you plan to defeat this boss with only ground-based demons and a crummy bummy flyer.
  • @jpastor what cards did my Heckling Harriers mill? (I may have plans for them… ?) Also, your Flame Dragon appears to have a legendary name lurking in the text box.
  • Let's keep the good times rolling. The King will Encore the Phyrexian Triniform and play another 9/9.

The Triniform token will then swing for some savage beats.
  • A dragon? That’s a tiny bit more exciting, but it’s even smaller than your first beastie! Before blocks, I’ll send him on his way.

• No problem!
    First, I'll Alter Ego this Flame Dragon, just like transform... this means the target for Consuming Madness fizzles and boom... 

Inferno Dragon
    Inferno Dragon by jpastor | MTG Cardsmith

I didn't want to flip it yet, but seems like I have no choice.

I'll play 
    Hold at Bay
    for the Golem's damage... if there's no other plays... i'll start my turn... by playing:

Lost in Time
    Getting rid of your disgusting Golem...

Revealing...
    Relentless Terminator by jpastor | MTG Cardsmith

Then I'll flame blast the crud out of Heckling Harriers...

by the way - in relaxed rules - milling isn't a thing since i only have (15 cards left)

Your turn!
  • @jpastor transforming your dragon doesn’t fizzle the spell because it hasn’t left the battlefield, and is thus still the same permanent. (It would be different if it exiled and returned itself like the flip-walkers or Neon Dynasty sagas, or was otherwise no longer a legal target.)

*coughs* There's so many fun buddies stuck inside that golem; it'd be a shame to lose it so early. I know! Let's have it fetch some old friends! In response to Lost in Time, I cast this:

Hellbound Summoning

Sacrificing our Triplicate Titan, targeting Heckling Harriers and Mighty Devastator. (Assuming you still choose to blast Heckling Harriers before Inferno Dragon dies.) Heckling Harriers will enter with a +1/+1 counter on it from riot.
  • This is the ruling...

So... it's not a differently named creature?

if a creature transforms in response to being targeted, the target does fizzle if the transformed creature is an illegal target for the original spell or ability.

When a spell or ability targets a creature, it specifically targets the permanent with the chosen characteristics, such as its name, color, or other attributes. If the targeted creature transforms into a new creature with different characteristics before the spell or ability resolves, it becomes an illegal target, and the spell or ability will be countered upon resolution. This is because the target the spell or ability originally had in mind no longer exists on the battlefield.

It's important to note that this only applies if the transformed creature is an illegal target for the original spell or ability. If the transformed creature still meets the targeting requirements, the spell or ability will resolve as normal, affecting the newly transformed creature instead.

• edited July 2023
    Consuming Madness only requires that the target be a creature, so your transformed Inferno Dragon is still a legal target. It doesn't care if the name, color, or anything else changes, so long as it's still a creature.

For example, if one were to target Ambitious Farmhand with Defeat and it was transformed it in response, Defeat will fizzle because Seasoned Cathar doesn't have power 2 or less and thus becomes an illegal target for Defeat.
  • Oh dmn - as u can tell... i never played with transform cards LoL
  • edited July 2023
    @cadstar369
    the blasting of the heckler thing was on the following turn... so it never takes place... all that would happen is the exile spell on my turn... to which you respond with your nerdy addition to the game...

i'll follow to your sacrificial glutton, and i'll cast the following spell with a gracious attitude towards killing everything:

Waste Management
    Let me just fodder out your GOLEM ...  ... laughing out loud ... oh i'm good!

So um - if there's no further plays... i do believe it is your turn.. and I am defenseless.

but you get my devastator... 
  • It's the community's turn!
    JPASTOR is defenseless and the community even has one of his own bosses.... whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhat!?'

Will the community keep up the relentless assault or will they have mercy on jpastor .. who has 14 cards left.
  • As the trickster, I’ll also play red double-faced cards

And I will attack
  • The King will continue to add to the board presence and swing with everything.

• No mercy! Let’s consume Jpastor with our pure power!

• Ouch - good thing we have unlimited life and you have to defeat me in other ways!

Seems you have the initiative.

Let me start by playing this:

Profane Command
    I'll choose to return Flame Dragon to my battlefield and give the Rambling Rabble -X/-X to kill it.

Then I'll cast a couple of beautes:

Gandalf the Wise
    to give me a search for this spell, which I'll cast now!

Time Warp

---on my next turn---

I play:

Mewtwo Psychic Prodigy
    Serpent of Fury
    Eternal Struggle

Ending my turn!
  • Things are getting a bit congested. Time to reset things.

This will leave the Triplicate Titan's three tokens and I suggest @smax765 transform the Baby Phoenix.
  • Of course I will transform the phoenix, but BEFORE the tigger of the Titan. So we get this and THEN the tokens.

• edited July 2023
    Oi! Who tried to stop the party?! Things were just starting to get exciting! …Meh, I’ll restart it in a minute, but you certainly don’t get to have our toys in the meantime.

Targeting jpastor to have them exile Eternal Struggle plus their graveyard. (Btw, I hope everyone realizes my comments are in character as the Entity. Just wanted to put this out there to make sure it was clear.)
This discussion has been closed.