ENCOUNTERS - GAME ON!

Comments

• edited June 2023
    I trust the others can deal with these multiplying lackeys, so I shall work on restricting the marshal’s future moves.

• As Marshall Thorne's forces are currently superior, the Crypt will reset all creatures on the board.

I suggest that @LvB remove the oil counter from their Bladed Ambassador in response. Once the dust settles, Blood on the Snow will return the Marshall's Phyrexian Absorber to the battlefield targeting the Marshall and becoming a 4/6.
  • @Jadefire
    The card above yours...

... On Marshall Thorne's turn, they carefully consider their options. With Deafening Silence limiting their spellcasting, they focus on maximizing the effectiveness of their single noncreature spell. Marshall Thorne decides to unleash the power of their Planeswalker abilities.

Marshall Thorne activates their +1 ability, bolstering their forces and empowering their creatures.

Marshall Thorne's creatures grow stronger, ready to face any challenges that lie ahead. What will the community do on their turn to counter this move?
  • edited June 2023
    @Jadefire I don't think you can play Blood on the Snow because of the Bomber's presence.

@jpastor is the beginning of your comment implying that Deafening Silence somehow prevents Jadefire from casting Blood on the Snow that turn? (Are we not separate players?)
  • The community is one player. Also the whole ... bomber thing. 
    It's now your turn again :)
  • ? That would have been good to know earlier… Not sure it would have changed my play, but the setup definitely read like we were playing Archenemy vs the Foe, with the different roles and such. That said, I'll attempt to seal the Marshal's abilities, since their creatures have little impact.

• Phyrexian Rebirth
    Phyrexian Rebirth by jpastor | MTG Cardsmith

I assume now the Bladed Ambassador will remove its oil counter... As well, I assume Glass Golem will be sacrificed prior....

or....

will the community let this destroy 4 creatures so that the token does not have infect?

• Well, the golem is indestructible... and to defend from infect we can use this:
  • Proper law enforcement begins to arrive, ready to lock down the marshal’s creatures.

• LvBLvB
    edited June 2023
    Yes, the Ambassador removes the oil counter to prevent being destroyed. And then i play this
    My army is now:

• The Crypt will play its own Snow creature to bolster this side's defenses and provide some aerial offense.

• edited June 2023

After Elite Arrester, the community turn ends. Marshall draws a card, giving 4 in hand and 10 cards left in the library.

Then passes the turn to allow the rest of the cards to be played!

As Marshall Thorne, I assess the situation on the battlefield. While the community has amassed a formidable army with the Adarkar Valkyrie, equipped Golem, Bladed Ambassador, and three flying Spirit tokens, I remain undeterred. Despite the limitations placed upon my planeswalker abilities, I know there are still ways to turn the tide.

I draw my card, bringing my hand to five. With no creatures on the battlefield, I must devise a strategy to regain control and mount a counteroffensive.

First, I tap into the power of the Phyrexian forces by playing:

Plague Wind

Plague Wind by jpastor | MTG Cardsmith

Plague Wind sweeps across the battlefield, obliterating all creatures, including the community's army. Despite the Adarkar Valkyrie's ability to return creatures from the graveyard, the destruction is absolute.

With the battlefield cleared except for Glass Golem, I play:

Constable Warren the Unlifer

Constable Warren, the Unlifer by jpastor | MTG Cardsmith

Constable Warren's Phyrexian Unlifer device forms a shield around me, preventing my defeat even if my life total reaches zero or below. This buys me more time to turn the tides in my favor.

I end my turn, confident in my ability to regain control of the battlefield and reclaim victory from the community.

• I shall protect everyone’s creatures from Plague Wind with this, allowing the others to press the offensive with Elite Arrester locking down Constable Warren.

• Damn!
    @cadstar369
    That hurts!
  • LvBLvB
    edited June 2023

• Well, we can't defeat Marshall by life drain, so we have to destroy Constable.

@Robo_Kitty, we still have 3 bombs!

• Since removal effects aren't allowed, we'll just have to get creative with removal. I'll target the Marshall's Constable Warren with this.

• Marshall plays Banishing Light on the Gelid Shackles.
    Banishing Light

As Marshall Thorne, I seize the opportunity to bolster my forces and put pressure on the community. I play two Phyrexian Soldier creature cards:

Phyrexian Vanguard
    Phyrexian Vanguard by jpastor | MTG Cardsmith

Phyrexian Annihilator
    Phyrexian Annihilator by jpastor | MTG Cardsmith

Marshall activates his +1, targeting the Vanguard. Loyalty = 3

• @jpastor Gelid Shackles isn’t on the board. Do  you mean to target Pithing Needle so that Marshal Thorne can activate his abilities? If so, I shall ward it from harm with this:

• That's what I ment @cadstar369

As the community hexproofs the target of Banishing Light, preventing it from being exiled, I acknowledge their strategic move. The Banishing Light remains on the battlefield without a valid target.

However, I still have my Phyrexian Vanguard and Phyrexian Annihilator in play, ready to continue the assault. It's the community's turn to make their move.

• @jpastor im going to toss my first bomb of the encounter at phyrexian annihilator. Even with that threat removed, we still need backup, so I’ll play—

• In an end all effort, Marshall is down to 2 cards in hand and a few left in library. He decides to go all-in. Casting both his remaining cards.

Phyrexian Blademaster
    Phyrexian Blademaster by jpastor | MTG Cardsmith

Phyrexian Warlord
    Phyrexian Warlord by jpastor | MTG Cardsmith

Marshall seems defeated, but he won't surrender without a classic shootout.

Can the community end this Desperado's desperation once and for all?
  • edited June 2023
    And… 2 bombs straight to the face.   (well more like straight to the cards he just cast, but that’s the same thing, right?)
  • If the Marshal is going to put all his eggs into one basket, let's shake things up. Plague Engineer will shrink all Phyrexians.

• To add insult to injury, I'll silence the marshal to prevent them from replenishing their threats for a turn.

• LvBLvB
    edited June 2023
    The Bladed Ambassador dies because of the Plague Engineer.
    I play this then:
    The Markov Warlord disables blocking for the Phyrexian Vanguard and then goes straight for Marshall Thorne. The three 1/1 flying Spirits attack Marshall Thorne too.

• Marshall concedes. He surrenders his possession of Phyrexian manastones and is taken into custody. His armed forces are detained and imprisoned for their actions.

Encounter - Marshall Thorne, Desperado (Complete)

• This was nice and fun. But im out of this thread for now. Gonna fokus on "Arkanion". But maybe i'll join again later. Thx everyone.
  • Boss Encounter - Jpastor

8 premade creatures and 4 premade spells + 8 unknown WotC cards

Foe: jpastor

jpastor commands a 20-card deck. Defeat jpastor as you normally would.

Roles
    @cadstar369The Entity
    • You embody a potential future foe.
    @JadefireThe King
    • You play cards with mana value 8 or greater.
    @smax765The Trickster
    • You play cards similar to the foe's.
    @Korora12The Zookeeper
    • You play creature cards (Any subtype if custom or just animal subtypes if WotC)
    @Robo_KittyThe Hero
    • You are allowed to play Legendary cards or mythic rare cards and embody a Legendary Creature or Planeswalker.
    @LvBNo Role

Format: Relaxed (Turn-by-Turn)
    - Ignore mana pool | hand size | draws/discards | reveals/scry | life total
    Obey known cards in zones | obvious effects | attack/block for triggers

Jpastor begins the encounter by passing the turn. (20 cards remaining)

The community plays first.
  • A boss battle, eh? Let’s get this party started!

This discussion has been closed.