Rezatta, the life-matters Renaissance plane — UNCOMMONS Set Design

Comments

• @ningyounk Here's an idea for Lore, I agree with the Liza thing, however for the sets main lore, I feel that the Church of Serra has to give its attention between a rebbelion, and the Reincarnation of Serra. Eco could have been taken away from the castle to be protected against the Rebellion, 
    this brings me to a card I made for Rezatta Commander Decks, and I would love this to be the lore(at least the rebellion part) 

• @Scaccogaming

Spring of Seasons: We don't have a four seasons theme in the set, it's just winter and spring really ^^ Still, the card looks interesting, but we'd need to find an innovative template to make this work and I'm not sure it's worth the trouble. It's extremely complicated and tedious to track but mana wise I don't think it's helping much. In addition, I think the free value of the little effects is probably a bit much for a land. I'd rather see that on an enchantment. I'm also really bothered that green is missing from the card, but that would make it even wordier.

@LyndonF

Tiny Smuggler: This staple effect of Red is definitely needed if we go on with the RW weenies theme. Red is a little bit of a blind spot for me design wise, I struggle designing for it and evaluating how good the cards are. So I might be wrong, but I think it needs a little more push, because it's still very close to Goblin Smuggler. Maybe it could also give haste for instance, and/or cost mana instead of tapping (that might be too much), similar to the card Break Through the Line. I'm going to need to playtest with it to get a better sense of it.

Break Through the Line FRF

Light Up the Serran Stage: I like the idea of discovering multiple time but I think the failsafe ability is a bit complicated and if we found the proper wording it would probably be distressing to look at >.< I also wouldn't want to miss on an occasion for making a clean simple card. Because discover limits you in the number of cards it "draws" you by the amount of mana you have, how about we simply do "discover three times"? It's basically a bad version of exiling cards to be played until end of turn, it actually feels very red:

Serran Ambusher: I like the concept but because we have this card already at common, I feel like we can't have both in the file, it would be a bit much as panic is a powerful effect, and both cards work very similarly:

Serran Fire: It looks like a lot of fun, I'm just not sure RG Even Growth is the kind of archetype that cares much about burn spells though. I'm saying that because the effective "deals 3 damage to any target" spell might be the single most important uncommon for red. I think it's important enough that I'll do a quick playtest of aggro with multiple possibilities for that slot so I'll get a sense of what is the most fun to play with and against.

@LordTachanka123

Oops, sorry I believe I forgot to answer about this one last time xD Efficiency is extremely important for white protection spells, it's the difference between God's Willing being an uncommon and Feat of Resistance being common. A four-mana protection spell would need to have some really strong additional value to be playable, but gain 3 serran life and each player makes a 1/1 wouldn't make the cut.

@MTG_Sappy

I'm just not sure a rebellion would fit with the tone of the set. The BRW archetype for instance has been linked to carnival, parties and celebrations. The idea is that it's an overall great time for the plane. Sure, there might be conflict at a more individual level, but in general Renaissance is supposed to evoke a feeling a greatness and bliss.
  • edited June 2020
    @ningyounk Again, that was just a card I made as an example, but I do agree that it looks very messy. 

Anyway, I've got another bicolor card that I'd like to show you, or at least its bare skeleton.

Acrylic Arcanophage
    1BG (or 1GU)

Creature - Ooze Art

Acrylic Arcanophage gains +1/+1 for each Art card in each player's graveyard.

{2}{G}: Acrylic Arcanophage gains all activated abilities of target Art card from a graveyard until end of turn.

0/1

I know it's written poorly, I would like your opnion and possibly a hand writing it down.
    The purpose of this card would be to fill the BG midrange, since this draft revolves so much about the graveyard, so I wanted to create a card that would ramp up as the game goes on, drawing its power from dead art creatures (since, ya know... it's a blob that eats the magic that creates Art creatures). I wouldn't say it's an op card for an uncommon, given how Experiment Kraj and Necrotic Ooze do almost the same thing but better. 
  • @ningyounk

Frantic Studies: That's quite clean and interesting! It reminds me of Act on Impulse a lot, so the cmc might need to be adjusted.

Serran Ambusher: I really need to remind myself to look through the commons before posting...

Serran Fire: Fair point. Also, it's EVEN Growth, not Odd Growth. Silly me.

Now, an attempt at green:

---
    Serran Regrowth
    Instant
    2G
    Return target permanent card from your graveyard to your hand. If it is an Art, you gain 3 life.
    ---
    Purpose: Push towards BG Art Recursion.
    Ref: Pulse of Murasa. More targets, less life gain. 3 life is to trigger Renaissance.

---
    Serran Trumpeter
    2G
    Creature

At the beginning of your end step, if your life total is even, put a +1/+1 counter on CARDNAME.
    2/2
    ---
    Purpose: Push towards RG Even Growth.
    Ref: Fairgrounds Trumpeter. I changed from "each end step" to "your end step" since the original condition was significantly harder to fit than keeping your life total even. The timing of the trigger can also be changed to your upkeep.

---
    Lonely Artwork
    5GG
    Creature

Masterwork
    When your Masterwork attacks alone, double its power and toughness until end of turn.
    5/5
    ---
    Purpose: Push towards UG Masterwork.
    Ref: Grunn, the Lonely King. Note the original was legendary, so I bumped the cmc. Moreover, the power and toughness of the creature stays the same despite the original having kicker, since this once allows the doubling power to be transfered to any creature you want, so has a LOT more flexibility. Keep an eye on this one.

---
    Serran's Paradise Gift
    2G
    Enchantment - Aura

Enchant land
    When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, you gain 2 serran life.
    Enchanted land has “T: Add two mana of any one colour.”
    ---
    Purpose: Nudge towards WG Serran life, ramp.
    Ref: Gift of Paradise. Changed from 3 life to 2 serran life since it preserves parity (so not affect RG Even Growth) and because you can cash in the extra mana. Might be a bit underpowered.
    Note: I was thinking of copying Wolfwillow Haven and changing it to gain 1 serran life whenever the land becomes tapped, but I was worried about a repeatable source of serran life gain.
  • edited June 2020

Acrylic Arcanophage: I really like that last ability, it's a really good idea to get abilities from Art creatures in the graveyard, it goes well with what the UBG archetype is trying to do ^^ I have a few issues with some of the details though:
    - Art creatures tend to have triggered abilities because of their focus on recursion, but not realy activated abilities. What would be really fun is something like "When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, trigger all abillities of target Art card in your graveyard that would trigger if it entered the battlefield" for instance. But it's probably easier to do a black "graveyard blink" at this point, which is reanimating the creature then sacrificing it immediately.
    - Gaining abilities of cards in your graveyard is a rare or mythic effect, but it's too complex for uncommon.
    - The card is overall a bit too parasitic. I'm ok with that last bit being a reward for playing Art creatures, but I think it would help if the card was counting all creatures in your graveyard instead, for instance.

Haha don't worry I'm not expecting anyone to know what the 101 commons are, you don't need to check the commons before posting, I'll just tell you if one of them has been taken as a common ^^

Serran Regrowth: I like the concept of getting an additional bonus if it's an Art, but I'd rather avoid incidental life gain because it's much more precious in this set so I have to really make each life gain card count. Maybe a token could be nice as a replacement?

Serran Trumpeter: I had that in the file at common at some point! It's super fun though definitely too much for common because once it gets starting it's really hard to stop xD It would be a great uncommon. I like those stats, I think it would work great, I tested 3/3 for 4 but I like the more efficient stats line for uncommon. I do think it would be more interactive with the trigger at the beginning of your upkeep, just because it was surprisingly strong when I playtested it.

Lonely Artwork: Oh, I really love this concept, it would go really well with that archetype and would be a great reward. I'd probably be even more stingy with the stats line, just to encourage making something else your masterwork. I'm actually considering a 4/4 or even 3/5 for 7 here. I think upping the cost to 7 is definitely the right choice, green needs something to use all the serran life ramp anyways, and it kind of have haste compared to Gruun, which is very scary x)

Serran's Paradise Gift: I like the double ramp provided by both the effect and the serran life, it's definitely a consideration for the ramp slot. I'm kind of waiting to see if someone comes up with a tutoring kind of ramp as well in this slot to playtest which one is the most fun. I wonder if this kind of card in green shouldn't say "up to 3 life" so you can choose between 2 or 3 if you're playing the even-life-matters cards.
  • @ningyounk ah, ok, would there be a way to make that card fit?
  • Also it could still work, this could be the best time of rezatta but some people have squirmishes with the government 
  • @MTG_Sappy

You mean Stin? Well it's a bit too early to tell which higher rarity cards will get a slot in the file, but for it to be considered an option it will need to be two colours at most (the set doesn't have the proper mana fixing for tricoloured cards) and it cannot have dethrone as that mechanic is not part of the set (we're emulating a Standard set so it's a bit different from a set oriented towards eternal formats like Modern or Commander where we can have more fun with the number of non-evergreen mechanics.)

That being said, that illustration is so gorgeous I have no doubt it will end up in the set one way or another! ^^ But the character might need to be repurposed for the needs of the set and story.

I do agree that some people on Rezatta probably are not happy with the government. That being said a rebellion usually involves a lot of people and that would considerably shift the tone of the set. We might have a couple cards showing a local riot for reason X or Y, but as a baseline the cards should overwhelmingly picture people being happy ^^
  • edited June 2020
    @LyndonF

I've been trying to flesh out the green concepts you presented above, what do you think of those changes a priori:

Galloping Frosthorn: Looking back, I was afraid it would be slightly underpowered so I added Daunt. This way you're also enticed to attack with it more often because it can get a little obnoxious on defence when you're sitting there with an even life total, waiting for it to grow.

Blooming Beauty: I traded the life gain for a 2/2 at instant speed, it's pretty similar to Fungal Rebirth from M21 power wise and I think that making an Art at instant speed has some good synergies with cards that trigger whenever an Art enters the battlefield under your control.

Ambitious Carver: I ended up trying a version that only boost power, I don't know if that makes it look too red, I just though it would be more interesting to play with and against this way.

• @ningyounk its for the precons,
  • edited June 2020
    @ningyounk
    Acrylic Arcanaphage: The "art only" graveyard effects are on purpose. I know that gaining abilities from the graveyard is a rare+ effect on its own, but given how it is restricted to Art cards, and given its base stats of 0/1, I thought it was enough to change it to uncommon. 

Would it become a common card if we buffed it to 1/1 and removed the second effect entirely?

Otherwise, here's a second option: 
    Acrylic Arcanophage (v.2)
    1BG
    Creature - Art Ooze
    Protection from Arts 
    1G, Sacrifice a creature: Put a +1/+1 counter on Acrylic Arcanophage. If the sacrificed creature was an Art, put two +1/+1 counters on Acrylic Arcanophage instead.
    [1/1]

If you do want to keep its secondary ability (from the first prototype), we could say "Acrylic Arcanophage gains the static abilities of art cards/target art card in each graveyard this turn", but I'll leave the decision up to you. I'd really like this card to make the cut, but alas I can't find a decent artwork...
  • @ningyounk, Ambitious Carver wasn't even an incredibly strong card when it was Lonely Artwork, and I really think you've downgraded it too much for uncommon. This just doesn't seem to be on the same level as current uncommon 7-mana cards (for example, Pelakka Wurm gets printed at uncommon every now and again). Grunn, the Lonely King wasn't a very strong card, and it beats this card in almost every way except for the versatility. This is more or less a versatile 6/5 for 7, which is only 1 6/5 when it attacks. Definitely doesn't come across as uncommon material to me.

I think it should be at least a 5/5 if it only doubles power. 

Otherwise, I love the alterations to the other cards.
  • edited June 2020
    Some more general ideas for uncommons that either feed into themes, requirements, or the setting across all of the colours:

Fade into Canon
    W
    Instant
    Exile target creature or planeswalker. Its controller gains serran life equal to its converted mana cost.
    ----
    Purpose: Exile removal that essentially has the downsides of both Swords to Plowshares and Path to Exile at the same time due to the way serran life functions, and has some interactions with the life theme of the set. The fact serran life is more versatile than normal life should justify it being able to exile planeswalkers as well.
    ----
    Brilliant Glassblower
    3W
    Creature - Human Artist
    When Brilliant Glassblower enters the battlefield, create a 2/1 white Art creature token with Double Strike and "whenever this creature is dealt damage, sacrifice it."
    1/1
    ----
    A higher costed option for a weenie deck that produces two bodies, one of which is very strong. The glass token is intended to shatter if anything gets through its first strike to hit it; even if it's indestructible it will still take damage and be sacrificed. This should limit the power on the double strike, but still make it a decent masterwork target and just generally strong.
    ----
    Deep-Sea Trader
    1U
    Creature - Squid Scout
    When Deep-Sea Trader enters the battlefield, Discover.
    Whenever you cast your second spell each turn, draw a card, then discard a card.
    2/2
    ----
    Purpose: Repeatable looting that can enable itself the turn you cast it through Discover.
    ----
    Boorish Curator
    3U
    Creature - Human Advisor
    When Boorish Curator enters the battlefield, tap target creature and it doesn't untap during its controller's untap step for as long as you control Boorish Curator. If you've cast another spell this turn, it also lose all abilities for as long as you control Boorish Curator.
    3/2
    ----
    Purpose: Blue permanent removal - essentially a waterknot/ capture sphere with a body attached to it that has a niche payoff for the second spell theme. The body is a double-edged sword since while it is an additional body, it makes the effect easier to remove than an enchantment.
    ---- 
    Taxidermy
    4B
    Sorcery
    Return target creature from your graveyard to the battlefield. It becomes an artifact Art in addition to its other types, and it becomes your only Masterwork.
    ----
    Purpose: A more standard reanimation spell that feeds into a few of the set's themes, including black's Art recursion. Also has utility pulling a strong masterwork candidate back to life and setting it back to being a masterwork at the same time.
    ----
    Urban Explorer
    R
    Creature - Mouse Scout
    First Strike
    Whenever Urban Explorer deals combat damage, Discover at the start of your next main phase.
    1/1
    ----
    Purpose: Repeatable, aggressive impulse draw for a red aggro deck with some pushing like Rigging Runner.
    ----
    Final Act
    RR
    Instant
    As an additional cost to cast this spell, sacrifice a creature.
    Final Act deals 4 damage to any target. If your life total is even, it deals 5 damage instead.
    ----
    Purpose: Aggressive 'any target' damage for Red that uses the life total mechanic to put its damage 'between' Shrapnel Blast and Heartfire. This could be too similar to New Insults' numbers however.
    ----
    Pungent Gourmet
    1R
    Creature - Goblin Artist
    Masterwork.
    Your Masterwork has "R: This creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn."
    2/2
    ----
    Purpose: Adding firebreathing to your masterwork sounds like a very red thing to do and feeds into aggressive play.
    ----
    Stage Hog
    4G
    Creature - Boar Artist
    Trample
    When Stage Hog enters the battlefield, it fights target creature you don't control. If that creature is your opponent's masterwork, put a +1/+1 counter on Stage Hog before it fights.
    3/4
    ----
    Purpose: Green removal on a fairly costed body that can become an undercosted body in the right circumstances.
    ----
    Empty Frame
    Artifact
    1, Sacrifice Empty Frame: Exile target card from a graveyard. Create a 1/1 colorless Art creature token.
    ----
    Purpose: A small graveyard hate artifact that provides art and weenie synergies with its token.
  • The stream of ideas from @GameQnQ and @LyndonF sometimes scares me. I don't have enough brain capacity to create that many cards xD
  • edited June 2020
    @MTG_Sappy
    Sure, obviously what I said was in regards to putting it in the set itself but it's perfectly ok with the precons ^^ 

@Scaccogaming
    I really like this version, it's not too parasitic but still pushes you towards playing more Art, and it has some nice graveyard synergies.

@SteampunkDragon
    I'm mostly afraid of the synergies with masterwork, the 3/5 is purposefully bad, but with masterwork synergies you can give that ability to, like, an 8/8 trample haste vigilance menace hexproof xD That being said, let's give it a try as a 5/5 that doubles everything first, then we'll tone it down if it creates issues during playtests ^^

@GameQnQ

Wow, this is really impressive! :o I'm used to see LyndonF do this kind of stuff, but yeah I approve the comparison above, all those cards are really solid as well ^^

Fade Into Canon: I really like the idea because it's also a weird way of triggering Renaissance by giving life to your opponent. Swords to Plowshares is too good for a set like this though, the stats need to be adjusted. Honestly, printing the original card at one-mana was a mistake to begin with, White should not be that efficient with its removal, especially compared to black. So we either need to up the cost, or make it more conditional. I'd be down to find a conditional version (the nonconditional version would probably feel rare).

Brilliant Glassblower: The flavour is so on point I really want to make this work ^^ The token is a bit on the complex side, and with only one toughness "whenever it's dealt damage, it dies" is a bit redundant ^^ How about something slightly different like maybe using the Splicer technology to shift the complexity from the token to the card (make the card say "create a specific token, this specific type of creature gets a weird bonus). The other solution would be to make this just one creature or an enchantment. E.g.:

1R or 1W
    Enchantment - aura
    Enchanted creature has double strike.
    Whenever enchanted creature is dealt damage, sacrifice it.

Deep-Sea Trader: The storm archetype would definitely appreciate a repeatable loot machine ^^ This looks clean and efficient, I like it. I just need to figure out how many repeatable loot/draw engine we can have at the same time in the set before we start inserting them.

Boorish Creator: I really like the concept behind this, though I think it needs a way to let you remember if the creature lost its abilities or not, maybe some kind of visual aid like a counter.

Taxidermy: Really fun flavour x) Personal taste but I really enjoy when you get to take things from the opponent's graveyard as well, I'm really missing that in Standard right now. I'd be ok with the spell having Masterwork as a nice little bonus, but I don't want to force you to choose the reanimated creature as your masterwork if you have better options. It's a little weird to have you care about masterwork if you don't play any other spell with masterwork in your deck though. I guess finishing the spell with "You may choose that creature as your only masterwork" would work better. I do think a visual aid like a +1/+1 counter would help remember the creature is now an Art for synergies as well.

Muse Scout: We're in need of a strong option for an agressive red 1-drop, this is quite nice! I don't think you need to do the weird delayed trigger thing, you can just discover during damage, if anything weird happens we probably just change first strike for something else and the timing becomes basically the same as the beginning of next main phase.

Final Act: This is a really strong reward for a sacrifice deck but we don't really have that theme in Rezatta, I think it would be slightly out of place and would send the wrong signals in draft.

Pungent Gourmet: Sounds like a lot of fun! I wonder if it's strong enough for uncommon, I actually considered it for common at some point, I wouldn't mind a little boost maybe. We could start brainstorming for a full masterwork uncommon cycle with slightly more complex abilities by the way. I totally want a green or blue one that gives curiosity to your masterwork.

Stage Hog: I'm not super keen on hating on Masterwork, unless there's a really amazing flavour behind it, I don't think it's the kind of mechanic that needs to be called out by name to be hated on because there's no difficulty in interacting with it normally.

Empty Frame: I'm loving that flavour, seems like a perfect fit ^^ Based on Shamble back, I'm thinking it might be interesting to make the token a 2/2 as an aggro option if you somehow get a card in your graveyard on turn 1.

• I've had a lot of free time this weekend and got the design challenges of this set stuck in my head - I'll probably slow down come Monday :D

On some of @ningyounk 's feedback;
    Fade Into Obscurity
    1W
    Instant
    Exile target creature with power 4 or greater. Its controller gains serran life equal to its toughness.
    ----
    This is the conditional version using something white typically does, with a more reasonable cost that's reduced from other instances of this effect by the serran life 'downside'.
    ----
    Boorish Curator
    3U
    Creature - Human Advisor
    When Boorish Curator enters the battlefield, tap target creature and it doesn't untap during its controller's untap step for as long as you control Boorish Curator. If you've cast another spell this turn, it also lose all abilities for as long as you control Boorish Curator, and put a +1/+1 counter on Boorish Curator.
    2/1
    OR
    When Boorish Curator enters the battlefield, tap target creature and it doesn't untap during its controller's untap step for as long as you control Boorish Curator.
    When Boorish Curator enters the battlefield, if you've cast another spell this turn Scry 2.
    3/2
    ----
    The first form gives a straightforward way to track the ability loss, but I think it puts too much power into the second spell bonuses, and the ability loss is honestly maybe a bit too fiddly to track in general as a separate effect. The second form isn't as involved and has the flavour of the Curator looking for something new after throwing the 'old work' into a store room.
    ----
    Taxidermy - I think grabbing from another player's graveyard would be a good addition and has some fun, weird implications to it. Removing the masterwork aspect from the card and adding a +1/+1 counter to the creature it reanimates is probably the best solution - with the added versatility from grabbing from other graveyards maybe it should cost 3BB?
    Taxidermy
    3BB
    Sorcery
    Return target creature from a graveyard to the battlefield under your control with an additional +1/+1 counter on it. It becomes an artifact Art in addition to its other types, 
    ----
    Urban Explorer - The weird delayed trigger was primarily because I'm not super familiar with how being offered to cast sorcery speed spells during first strike damage would be handled - if it isn't a problem it may be better to shift the trigger to when it attacks or blocks since that allows combat tricks to be pulled and applied to the creature prior to combat damage, which would allow it to be even more aggressive.
    ----
    Empty Frame - The numbers on the token are partially due to it being a colourless artifact, which are usually somewhat inefficient even at uncommon, and because a 1/1 Art token already exists in the set.  That said, it costing 2 mana total does make it less efficient than Shamble Back, so a 2/2 may be more appropriate.
    ----
    Brilliant Glassblower - The enchantment aura sounds like the better way to go about it, since it makes the shattering effect more relevant as a risk/reward mechanic. Perhaps something like 'Immortalise in Glass' with a 1W cost as you said?
  • @ningyounk

Galloping Frosthorn: Definitely agree that it will be a trouble if it just sits back. Maybe make it a 3/1? That may entice the player to not play defense with it too much.

Blooming Beauty: Seems good, great art.

Ambitious Carver: Doubling just the power seems red, (see Unleash Fury from M21), but Gruul Beastmaster also gave a creature +X/+0 so it seems debatable. A possible alternative is to give it +X/+X where X is Ambitious Carver's power. This is the same text on Syr Faren, the Hengemaker, but it only triggered when Faren attacks.

@GameQnQ

It's not a creature, but what about the following?

---
    Boorish Curation
    1UU
    Enchantment - Aura

Enchant creature
    When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, tap enchanted creautre.
    Enchanted creature doesn't untap during it's controller's untap step.
    Enchanted creature loses all abilities as long as you have cast two or more spells this turn.
    ---
    Purpose: Push towards WU Storm.
    Ref: Claustrophobia / Mystic Subdual. Mystic Subdual permanently removed the abilities, but the creature stayed around and could still block/attack. The wording for the last line was based on Leapfrog from Guilds of Ravnica.

Now, some ideas on black because I skipped them:

---
    Renewed by Death
    1B
    Instant

Sacrifice target creature you control, then return it to the battlefield tapped under your control.
    ---
    Purpose: Push towards UB Art and BG Graveyard. 
    Ref: None, but it's basically a flicker in black. Pretty sure someone else has this idea first, but it fits quite well here.

---
    Extract Essence
    1BB
    Instant

Renaissance - This spell costs 1 less to cast if (clause). 
    CARDNAME deals 3 damage to target creature. You gain 3 life.
    ---
    Purpose: Nudge towards WB life swing, reinforce renaissance mechanic. 
    Ref: Essence Extraction. The original card seems perfect already to be honest.

---
    Serran Blade
    2B
    Instant

As long as you gained life this turn, CARDNAME has deathtouch.
    As long as you lost life this turn, CARDNAME has lifelink.
    CARDNAME deals 2 damage to target creature.
    ---
    Purpose: Push towards WB life swing. 
    Ref: Sorin's Thirst was a starting point, but this card is quite different and much stronger. Not sure how the keywords should correspond with the modes. It's just a good excuse for me to put keywords on a spell.

Of course, another alternative for the unconditional removal would be Demise of the Unsightly (Destroy target creature whose power and toughness aren't equal).

Here's a couple more enchantments to round it out:

---
    Lisa's Machinations
    B
    Enchantment

Cast this spell only if you have lost life this turn.
    Whenever you lose life, sacrifice CARDNAME. If you do, each opponent loses 2 life, then you gain life equal to the life lost this way.
    ---
    Purpose: Push towards WB life swing.
    Ref: Gonti's Machinations. There aren't energy counters, so I've adjusted the conditions accordingly. I also bumped down the life loss/gain because it seemed a bit swingy in a set like this, but I'm fine with bumping it back to 3 life.

---
    Looters' Spoils
    3B
    Enchantment

Whenever a non-Art creature you control deals combat damage to a player, you may pay 1 life. If you do, draw a card.
    ---
    Purpose: Nudge towards BR Suicide Aggro.
    Ref: Raider's Spoils. The non-Art clause is for flavour reasons, and can be changed to Art like the original card with creatures you control get +1/+0 as well.
  • @LyndonF how do you keep making new card ideas, if I may ask? Because I'd really like to help but recently I don't find myself really able to do it.
  • Serran Mercy 2w
    Instant

Target creature you control gains indestructible until end of turn, then you gain X serran life, where X is that creature's converted mana cost.

Each opponent makes a 0/1 white guard token with defender.
  • Fade into Obscurity: I like the new stats, Looking at other similar cards I think it's much more in line with what uncommon white removal looks like. It seems on par with Reprisal, which is the most efficient of the bunch, with the downsides of giving life to your opponent but it counterbalnces this by offering a way to gain life yourself. Another solution would be to make it a sorcery unconditional removal spell and push it to Rare, similar to declaration in Stone and Winds of Abandon.

Boorish Curator: I'm really into the +1/+1 counter, I actually wasn't sure how to do it but I forgot you could simply put the counter on the Curator itself to remember x) I'd be eager to playtest this. I do agree the ability loss is a bit weird to follow. Maybe 2 or 3-mana, just freeze for one turn --> if surge, freeze until leave the battlefield and +1/+1 counter ?

Taxidermy: We agree so much you actually designed a card I posted earlier on page 1 x)

Urban Explorer: So, when we use discover at instant speed (which I don't want happening at common specifically for this reason), you get the chance to cast sorceries, creatures, etc. as part of the discover ability resolving even if you normally could not cast them at that time. It's like spells that let you cast cards from your hand for free, if that helps. I agree an attack trigger sounds really nice for combat trick purpose, actually! (I have a feeling this is going to end up rare, but I want to playtest it as uncommon first xD)

Empty Frame: Yeah, I suppose a 1/1 art is already a nice reward on its own since there are all those "when an Art ETB under you control" triggers floating around. But Shmable back is one less mana, a common, and gains you life so I think Empty Frame is worth trying with the 2/2 version for now ^^ For the tokens, I don't know yet how we'll do, its possible we'll make flavoured Art tokens based on their stats, for instance the 1/1 is a white Art Dog, while the 2/2 is a black Art Rogue, etc.

Brilliant Glasswblower: I kinda like the glassblower reference, I'm going to try to find a good illustration to see if that can be done.

Galloping Frosthorn: I like the idea of taking away some toughness to encourage a more agressive use ^^

Ambitious Carver: Ah yeah, Syr Faren's text is probably more reasonable, but it doesn't have the same cachet to me, just reading the word double sounds hilarious xD

Boorish Curation: I'm not a fan that it lets a window for the creature to activate its abilities every turn, on top of being very hard to shut off every single turn.

Renewed by Death: I'd love to try that, it's very underused in black and in this set cards care both about Art entering and leaving the battlefield so it looks like a very good fit.

Extract Essence: I was afraid this would be a bit too strong so I ended up using this slot for a common card and I don't think we can have both cards inthe same set:

Serran Bade: It reads very fun xD But if we templated it "normally" it would probably say "if you gained life this turn, destroy that creature " and "if you lost life this turn, you gain that much life" which is not as fun >.<

Lisa's Machinations: I wasn't very fond of Gonti's machinations, and I do think the card reads a bit fiddly for not that much value (life gain is still life gain at the end of the day).

Looters' Spoils: It could work depending on the needs for more card advantage in Black ^^ I like the non-Art clause as a flavour point, even if the card itself doesn't end up being used, I'm sure we can repurpose this part somewhere.

Serran Mercy: I'm unsure why the card needs to give a guard to the opponent? It still feels a bit clunky for protection purposes to me, and there are a lot of different effects stapled together that I'm unsure want to go in the same deck and make the card feel a bit uncohesive. If you give a token to the opponent, I think you need to clearly communicate that this is a staple effect that costs one mana less, for instance.

• @ningyounk
    If I lightning helix myself, does it trigger
    ?
  • renaisance
  • MTG_Sappy
    Absolutely ^^ The sum of all life gained and lost this turn (if nothing else happened) would be 6, the same as if you targeted your opponent.

• @ningyounk quick question, can  we print our own copies of the suggested cards, or will you and you alone print them? I am asking since some of us don't have premium so we cannot use the Rezatta logo.

Also, I wouldn't want to be a bother by posting more multicolor cards, so are we focusing on single-color cards right now? Because I'm making a checklist for my personal take at the 10 multicolors (currently, I'm at 3/10)
  • edited June 2020
    @Scaccogaming

I'm not sure I understood the question about printing, do you mean posting them with the illustration and everything? If so, feel free to propose more fleshed-out cards if you want! It's ok if they don't have the rezatta set icon ^^ I will put the cards together in the final file, however.

On the contrary, feel free to post multicoloured cards as well! Just remember that the only multicoloured cards we get at uncommon are destined to be signposts for draft archetypes, so they usually are a bit more directional than other cards, and we really need to make them count so only designs that cannot be made in one colour are valid ^^

__

To emphasise the life theme, I wanted to go back on all the weird effects that exist that are related to life. Most of them are rare and mythic material, but I still wanted to see if some of them could work at uncommon. Here's what I could think of:

- Effects that restart life totals, or make it a high number.

- Effects that set life totals to somewhere about half your life.

- Effects that set life totals to low numbers.

- Effects that set life totals based on something else.

- Effects double life totals, or reduce it by half.

- Effects that prevent life totals from changing.

- Effects that exchange life totals of players.

- Effects that exchange life totals with other things that are not life totals.

- Effects that scale based on your life total.

On top of that, here are a few effects I though about that we might consider for the set:
    - Your life total becomes equal to your starting life total minus your current life total.
    - Your life is serran life.
    - This creature's toughness is equal to your life total. If it would be dealt damage, you lose that much life instead.
    - If you would lose life, mill that many cards instead. When you have no card in your library, you lose the game.
    - Effect "for each N life you have"

Now, first, did I forget anything? XD

Second, what in this list can be used at uncommon? I'm thinking:
    - Can't gain life (this turn)
    - Life total can't change this turn
    - Life total becomes equal to the number of [something reasonable like number of cards in graveyard]
    - Life total becomes equal to 10.
    - Effect for each N life you have.
    - Life total becomes equal to your starting life total minus your current life total.
    - Creature's power and/or toughness equal to life total (but with defender probably)
    - Choose two target players. Their life total becomes equal to half the sum of their life total rounded up.

Any other ideas are welcome ^^
  • Just a question, when exchanging your life total with something like Tree of Redemption, do you lose all your serran life? When exchanging with your opponent, would the amount of serran lie each player has change?