Concerning Card Editing

I have been looking through how mana costs are ordered, and I discovered I need to reorder the mana for nearly every single custom card I've made. My problem is that I have recently swapped to a new computer, and I'm too lazy to search for every piece of artwork to download it again and rewrite every single card again.

So, maybe there should be a function where you can edit a card even after it's published? And whenever a change is made, an alert is given to those who have favorited it so they can stay up to date? I'm unsure if this has been brought up before, so my apologies if I'm just repeating old news.

Comments

• This particular thing has been asked and answered a ton of times.

It's about time for MtGCardsmith admins to make a FAQ-section, really :p
  • At this point there is no work being done to make this dream a reality amIright?
  • youisright!
  • edited March 2016
    I have actually brought this up to and gotten an answer directly from MTGCS as a premium member. Essentially, very little data is currently stored for created cards. Card text, the image of the completed and perhaps a few other things like the colors are kept for the sake of functionality (plus all of the data the site uses like creator, favorites, etc) and that will probably not change any time soon for a few reasons.

First, storing more data could cost more money. That's a pretty obvious one. Costs for storage and computing are pretty cheap these days but use of this site is free and apart from some ad revenue and the Patreon patrons, the owners are paying for it themselves. Old card purges aren't just done to remove some junk and inactive users, they free up a lot of wasted disk space.

Second, storing the images will probably never be a thing. With some exceptions, the vast majority of the images used on this site are under copyright protection of their creators or owners and hosting them on a site that makes any money on ads could be a pretty big deal. Keeping cropped sections of an image in a card image would probably be fine since it should be considered transformative and fall under fair use.

Third, it wouldn't just require developing a new feature, it would require a pretty large-scale redesign of the site and the back-end database structure. Not only that, but all existing cards wouldn't have any of the new data required to edit cards so the MTGCS guys would have to deal with hundreds of thousands of cards that use a legacy data structure and the remade site that allows edits. They're also currently developing other features and things so unless they ditch those ideas, it wouldn't even be plausible to start development for likely a few months.

All that being said, if you want to see more cool features and options on the lovely and free MTGCS, consider becoming a patron on Patreon. I did a few months ago and so far they've added tons of cool things like card sets, followers and interface improvements. You also get some features for the site that are cool. Anyone interested can check it out here: https://www.patreon.com/posts/3627319

Edit: Oh, I forgot to mention, I keep a folder in my Dropbox of all the card images I've used. I actually only use DeviantArt for images since I always credit the artist and when you save cards from DeviantArt, it is kind enough to save as the title_artist.jpg that way I can always use and credit it in the future. I also save neat images that I haven't used yet when I find them looking for other things.
  • Thanks, strongbelieves. I appreciate you letting me know, and going into detail. It makes sense.
This discussion has been closed.