Mechanic Encyclopedia for ALL

Comments

• edited December 2016
    @strongbelieves
    I would assume "Reckless 2" would have it's own text line. If not, it should at least be listed second.

Run him with the"Rage Honden" and a bunch of Cacklers!
  • edited December 2016
    Hello Hello! I have 3 mechanics that I would like to share today!

Zombify (Whenever another creature dealt damage by this creature this turn dies, put it onto the battlefield under your control at the beginning of your next upkeep. It is a Black Infected Zombie in addition to its other types).

Explore (To Explore, look at the top card of your library. If it's a land card, you may reveal it and it onto the battlefield tapped.)

Explore could also be a numbered mechanic, so for example we could have

Explore 3 (To Explore 3, look at the top 3 cards of your library. You may reveal a land card from among them and it onto the battlefield tapped. Put all cards not revealed this way back on top of your library in any order.)

I feel making it a numerical mechanic adds un needed complexity to the mechanic.

This last mechanic is the first mechanic I ever made.

Moody or Volatile*- At the beginning of each upkeep, flip a coin. If you win the flip, EFFECT. If you lose the flip, EFFECT.

*Use the mechanic name that represents your card best.
  • edited December 2016
    All by me :)

Kindred - As long as you control another creature with another type to {creature name}, (Effect)

Teleport {cost} - (Cost: Exile this creature, then return it to the battlefield under it's owner's control. Creatures with the same name as this creature can't teleport this turn)

Vengeance - (When this creature dies, return it to the battlefield at the beginning of your next upkeep, It gains haste. At the beginning of your end step, exile this creature.
  • Ooh! I just remembered this ability!
    Fade [cost] ([cost]: Exile this or return it to the battlefield [from exile] tapped. Fade only as a sorcery.)
    A couple notes: I have considered removing the "Fade only as a sorcery clause", and the part of the reminder text in brackets would be sacrificed for space if needed.
  • edited December 2016
    @touchstone
    Doesn't make much sense. The wording would probably be:
    Fade {COST} ({COST}, Choose one: exile this creature, or return it from exile onto the battlefield tapped. Fade only as a sorcery.)
    I can't help thinking the tapped clause is a bit pointless, and is overall a bit confusing and underpowered.
  • I don't think Fade works as a sorcery. It seems like an in-built flicker, which means it needs to be instant speed or you can't dodge removal or combat damage, which is kind of the point of flicker.
  • @ShadowKnight1224
    I realised that, but supposed it was only a way to retrigger ETB effects.
  • @ShadowKnight1224 @KJMartin
    Fade is designed for a set that has a new negative counter (called wane counters, long explanation), and is primarily a way for white to get rid of counters easier. That, and ETB triggers. Also, reminder text does get a bit of leeway when it comes to conforming with precedent/rules (just look at devoid - MaRo has said multiple times that saying "This card has no color" doesn't work within the rules, but the reminder text still says that). There's always the option to word it similarly to Fabricate, but it would only get more wordy and complicated.

Oh, and about it being instant speed - I've tried that with another version of this mechanic. Fade goes from something you have to be smart about to being a panacea. A creature with Fade at instant speed might as well have hexproof and indestructible, because that's how it functioned (and it was even better than both of those).
  • edited January 2017
    Keyword ability (flavorfully linked to Phyrexia and Phyrexians):
    Contaminate - Whenever a player pays life to cast a spell or activate an ability,

Example card:
  • @Faiths_Guide
    Personally, I think that that - sorry - seems like a bad idea. They can never really bring back phi mana because of how incredibly broken it was, when that mechanic seems like it was made to go with it. Mechanics made to go with other mechanics aren't very realistic too...
  • edited January 2017
    @KJMartin
    Since there are hundreds of other methods by which a player is required to pay life to cast spells, I think it's versatile enough to survive. Also, it isn't reliant on phi mana... but it's a great use!

(But, just in case, I've added ability activation!)
  • @Faiths_Guide
    I would also say that phyrexian mana actually wasn't broken - it was its implementation that made it broken. Development treated cards with phyrexian mana as normal colored cards, where they should have treated them as artifacts or cards with only colorless casting cost (even MaRo admits this).

Also, since this doesn't have any environment to base it on, there's no saying that you couldn't make a higher as-fan of spells that require life as a cost to facilitate it. In my personal opinion, the ability's fine. What determines how good it gets is the environment you end up putting it in.
  • @touchstone
    Another problem with phi mana was the color pie implications - gut shot can be played in a mono-blue deck when it is entirely red.
  • @KJMartin & @touchstone
    A certain Platypus helped to update the Pollution Behemoth.
  • @Faiths_Guide
    Which platypus? I predict a Duck-Billed Platypus...
  • @KJMartin
    Well, my personal nickname for him is Paddy.
  • @KJMartin
    That's why I said you have to treat them as artifacts or colorless spells (a spell that deals damage would have to be similar to Razortail Whip). Essentially, you have to treat them as though a player will always pay life (which most will). In most cases, phyrexian mana would probably be used on permanents only. It's easier to balance them that way. Spells would be harder.
  • Here's an interesting mechanic - although I may need wording help with it!

There are different kinds of it, if you like:

Mount {COST} ({COST}: Mount this creature on target creature you control. It remains mounted on the other creature until either leaves the battlefield.

{CREATURE TYPE}mount {COST} ({COST}: Mount this creature on target {CREATURE TYPE} creature you control. It remains mounted on the other creature until either leaves the battlefield.)

{CRITERIA*}mount {Cost} ({COST}: Mount this creature on target {CRITERIA} you control. It remains mounted on the other creature until either leaves the battlefield.)
    Here is the set of cards: http://mtgcardsmith.com/user/KJMartin/sets/17513
  • Would 'for as long as you control both of them' be better than 'until either leaves the battlefield'?
  • @KJMartin
    Yeah, I feel like for as long as you control both would be better.
  • edited January 2017
    Burrow {COST}: (Every upkeep, you may pay {COST}. If you do, this creature is burrowed, and can't be blocked except by other burrowed creatures.)

Renewable N: (When this card is put into your graveyard, if it has less than N time counters on it, you may cast it with an additional time counter on it.)
  • Here's an ability keyword I designed for Azorius as part of the "Team Challenge #5 Guilds or Ravnica" :)

Penalize - [Bonus Effect] unless an/target/that opponent taps an untapped creature he or she controls.

The point is to tap or remove the creatures from your opponent's side of the battlefield to prevent them from paying the penality, and getting the effect ^^

imageimage
    imageimage
  • edited January 2017
    Cleared up some of my mechanics:

Triggered abilities:

Affliction - When this creature becomes the target of a spell or ability, you may sacrifice it, if you do, all creatures get -4/-4, until end of turn.
    (You could choose to use Affliction X - all creatures get -X/-X until end of turn)

Evasion - Whenever a spell or ability affects all creatures on the battlefield, this creature avoids those effects.

Immolate - Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a creature or player, you may deal X damage to each creature and each opponent, where X is half the number of +1/+1 counters on this creature, rounded up.

Spiritualise - When you cast {CREATURE NAME}, choose a creature you control, if that creature is white, have it gain +2/+2 and Hexproof. This effect lasts until either {CREATURE NAME}, or the chosen creature are moved to the graveyard.
    Note - (The ability can be modified = +X/+X but the static must follow the colour wheel)

Transfuse - When this creature deals combat damage to a player, that player puts the top three cards of their library into the graveyard. Any instant or sorcery cards discarded this way can be cast by you as if it were any mana of any colour.

Territorial - If a creature entered the battlefield on an opponent's turn, on your turn if this creature deals combat damage to a player, you may search your library for a basic land, and put that card onto the battlefield tapped.

Activated abilities:

Automated Repairs - (At the beginning of your upkeep, if {CREATURE NAME} was dealt combat damage on the previous turn, you may pay {p/c} if you don't, put a -1/-1 counter on it.)
    (You could choose to use Automated Repairs X - Pay X or {NAME} gets -X/-X counters)

Decomposition: (Sacrifice X creature tokens, then put X +1/+1 counters on this creature, where X is the number of creatures sacrificed this way.)

Enervation: (Whenever this creature does damage to a player, you may remove {e}{e} from that player and transfer that energy to you. If you can't, this creature gets a -1/-1 counter.)
    (You could choose to use Enervation X - Transfer X energy or {CREATURE NAME} gets X -X/-X counters)

Spot Weakness {t}: (Select a creature target opponent controls. Whenever that creature blocks or becomes blocked by a creature you control, it gets -1/-1 until the combat phase ends)
    Note - (Only a single target may be active at any one time.)
    (You could choose to use Spot Weakness X instead, {CREATURE} gets -X/-X when it attacks or blocks)

Static Abilities:

Dedication (As long as your dedication to {NAME} is less than six, {NAME} is not a creature.)
    Note - (Dedication is equal to the number of non-token creatures you control)

Vitriolic (If a creature would not be destroyed by this creature's death touch ability, instead give that creature a -1/-1 counter.)
    (You could choose to use Vitriolic X - {CREATURE} gets -X/-X counters)

Camouflage (This creature can only be blocked by {TYPE} creatures.)

I hope the community enjoys them, remember if you are going to comment be polite no unwarranted cynicism, please.
  • Just so you know, all my custom mechanics have cards in this set: http://mtgcardsmith.com/user/KJMartin/sets/17073
  • Enslavement x - x creatures an opponent controls become 0/y creatures with defender for the rest of the game.

Overwhelm - As long as (creature) and 5 or more creatures attack, (Ability)

Alliance - If you have (creature type 1) and (creature type 2), (ability)

Racism - doubles damage when creature is blocked by a (creature type)

Deal - when conditions are meet, activate (ability)
  • @TheGamingBolasChannel Your mechanics should read like this:

Enslavement x - up to x target creatures an opponent controls have a base power and toughness 0/x and gain defender and lose all other abilities for the rest of the game.

Overwhelm - Whenever (creature) and at least four other creatures attack, (Ability) (This adds up to five including the creature, which I assume is what you wanted)

Alliance - If you control a (creature type 1) creature and a (creature type 2) creature, (ability)

I would re-word Racism to read like this:

Racism - Whenever (creature) becomes blocked by a (creature type), (Ability)

They're good mechanics, and I like them very much. I might have to make a racist creature or 2...
  • they are good though, right. Enslavement may be a little overpowered, but it would make it a lot harder to use big creatures in battle.
  • also, look at my cards, you may like them a lot.