Musicology Contest (Voting Ongoing!)

Comments

• @modnation675 when are you adding the classical song/music?
  • edited June 2017
    @ManaChrome
    Tomorrow. (Technically today!) I was hoping for some recommendations, but I suppose I'll just have to choose and hope everyone enjoys the selection. (I'll be posting when I wake up as it has been a long night!)

If you have any favorites, please post the song names & artists here.

Edit: Don't worry if you need extra time, because I can always extend the end date of the contest. If anyone needs extra time, just leave a message.
  • edited June 2017
    Announcement:
    I decided that I'll upload the classical song tomorrow. As such, I'm extending the contest due date to June 18th.

Sorry for the delays, everyone!

• edited June 2017
    We've chosen the following classical song to add to the list.
    8)
    Schubert - Ave Maria
  • edited June 2017
    Since we want fans of classical music to have more variety, we're posting another song which counts as a free entry.

Paradise Lunch - Guns & Roses (BACCANO! Opening)

For the full song here are two links...
    With Vocals:
    Without Vocals:

For the lyrics, click below...
    Unconfirmed Lyrics: http://forums.mtgcardsmith.com/discussion/comment/78779/#Comment_78779
  • How are the new song choices? Hopefully they are interesting. :)
  • edited June 2017

Song: Mordred's Song by Blind Guardian

The song is about the fight Mordred, King Arthur's only son, had with his father. Mordred and King Arthur both fatally wounded each other, but Arthur was taken to Avolon and healed, while Mordred was left to die. He was raised by a witch who told him that he must kill his father. The song is from Mordred's perspective.

Click this so you can listen to the song!

Click this if you want to listen to the acoustic version!
  • edited June 2017
    @TenebrisNemo
    Really good song choice, I like the instrumental part especially.
  • @modnation675 - Thanks. That song is one of my favorites from the band and I've been thinking for a long time what kind of card I would create from it. I hope it's good.
  • edited June 2017
    @TenebrisNemo
    It's nice. I really like the instrumental, as I love violin and harp covers. The vocals are great because they are smooth even when shouting compared to a lot of metal I hear lately.

Reminds us of the original classic guitar hero games. :)
  • edited June 2017
    We've been listening to some of the following.

Lacuna Coil - End of Time
    A Perfect Circle - The Hollow
  • 2nd entry:

Song: This Ship's Going Down by Aurelio Voltaire
  • 3rd entry:

Song: HELLO NEIGHBOR SONG by DAGames
  • @TenebrisNemo
    Excellent idea, I thought it was overpowered until I read the last part. XD
  • I suppose I'll give this a shot for the "song of my choice" category...

Hall of Accords (Based on "The Room Where it Happens" from the musical Hamilton.)
    A card I created for my set, Conspiracy: Accords of Guile, it features the mechanic Council's Accord, where the effect of the card gets stronger with each opponent who backs you and in exchange the opponent gets a reward. The idea for the card (and the set in general) was inspired by the song, but it also does have its own in-set significance.

In terms of in-set flavor, Queen Marchesa's paranoia about getting overthrown leads her to create more and more oppressive policies that, ironically, lead to an uprising that gets he overthrown. Fiora is split into 10 factions with varying ideologies and beliefs, the leaders of each vying for the throne for themselves. However, when the fighting gets nowhere productive for any side, the 10 meet in private, in the location featured in this card, and came to an agreement to become the Joint Council, collectively sharing the power of the throne together. Of course, since they met and private, and no one else was in the room where it happened, nobody knows how the agreement was reached, or how willing each member is to keep it that way.

(Note: While the card itself is not on my main account, CMDConspiracy was an account created by me to help organize the set and allow for collaboration with some of my friends/co-designers, so they could access the set on their own.)
  • @modnation675 - Opponent's creatures are a nuisance to his plans!
  • @TenebrisNemo
    Well aren't they to all of us?
  • 4th extra entry:

Song: Stormcrow by Jorn

Because there has to be a world in the multiverse where people use motorbikes.

@modnation675 - Do you know the translation of the lyrics in Paradise Lunch's Guns & Roses or do I have to watch the anime or create anything which comes into my mind just by listening to that song?
  • edited June 2017
    @TenebrisNemo
    Disappointingly we aren't multilingual so it's more of an expression in regards to the instrumental.

Edit: Seemed to have found it. But you can just note your card is for either the instrumental or vocal version, then we'll judge accordingly.
  • edited June 2017
    @TenebrisNemo
    I think these are the lyrics. (Only revisions are minor grammar mistakes!)

Song: Paradise Lunch - Guns & Roses
    Reference for Lyrics: http://jefferzkm.livejournal.com/8717.html

Prior Comment: http://forums.mtgcardsmith.com/discussion/comment/78261/#Comment_78261

-----
    As the world begins to turn
    And it seems to pick up speed
    And you hear this melody
    There’s bullets flying through the air
    I bet it’s just a waiting game until it all gets worse
    It’s gonna rain tonight

The game has only just begun
    There’s way more ruckus coming straight to you
    It’s time for us to exit quickly
    Before these guns and roses have their own special party!

In this madness don’t you ever lose your heart
    Come with me, we’ll figure out where to start
    Blasts and bombs, oh it's going down tonight
    But you and me, together we'll be alright
    Huge explosion, everything is on display
    This commotion’s, getting louder every day
    Crashing noises it’s a festival for you
    But we’re screwing up every little thing that we do
    -----
  • First entry: A card based on Lusus Naturae by Jeff Williams. https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&noapp=1&v=MWA6YlVMwqQ

• 1st entry from the playlist.

I choose Alan Walker - Faded.

• edited July 2017
    I just remade this card after I deleted it for some reason... It's the exact same one.

AC-DC: Thunderstruck

• 1st entry, finally!

Alan Walker - Faded

Now that I'm currently spending holiday at Japan so I have little time to be on my laptop. I still wanna make at least one card.
  • edited June 2017
    @Tsukuyomi_Lumen
    No problem, we're just glad that you could make the time. Beautiful artwork, love the aurora! :)
  • edited June 2017
    Since participation for this contest has been excellent, we're extending the prize pool.

There are now five winning places to show our thanks for the tremendous support.

As an inadvertent effect, we're reducing the favorites per winner by 1. This is to prevent favorite flooding.

Prizes:
    A) Top three cards will have their creators get the following...
    - 1 month of premium subscription.
    - Follow from us.
    - 4 favorites of their choice.
    B) Two participants voted for by the community will get the following...
    - 1 month of premium subscription.
    - Follow from us.
    - 2 favorites of their choice.

We've got fifteen people participating. This is awesome, thank you everyone! :)
  • edited June 2017
    Heya! Remember me (lol)? Don't really think I've got the time to make cards, recently got addicted to an RPG, and I guess getting card ideas as I go XP XD... Good luck to all you participants though!
  • edited June 2017
    @ManaChrome
    Well, hopefully you'll still be interested for voting on the community choices.
This discussion has been closed.