Estrothia - My custom MTG set

edited May 2020 in Custom Card Sets
This is my custom mtg set that I wanted to make because I really liked the way MM2013-2015 and Modern Horizons were designed, that I wanted to design my own kind of Masters-esque set.

ARCHETYPES

This set has 10 unique, handpicked archetypes that I thought would be really fun to built around.
The themes are:

RB Minotaurs
UG Converge
UR Draw Two per turn
RG 4 Power matters
GW +1+1 Counters
GB Sacrifice
WB Tokens (Thinking of changing this to changelings soon, lol no pun intended)
UW Spirits
RW Equipment
UB Cycling

I picked these archetypes in a way the cards would have some "cross-pollination" between multiple themes. Like for example, the cycling theme heavily benefits the draw two theme,  and the 4 power benefits the counters theme. etc.
I tried to come up with some kind of story, but all I could come up with was:

Drana is involved in a tough battle regarding the protection of her people. After she emerges victorious, this awakens her spark and planewalks to the Plane Estrothia, which is a plane built from fragments of other planes like Tarkir, Theros, Zendikar, Amonkhet, and Lorwyn. She comes to the plane of Estrothia confused and not knowing where she is and overwhelmed by the power of mana here. She decides to explore the lush plane to gather more information. Little does she know that something big looms over the plane, something that will eventually destroy all of Estrothia if not stopped.

Let me know what you think of my set! 😄

Drana Chosen by ZendikarDrana Gets Her Spark

This is the imminent destruction that is putting Estrothia in danger.

Kholgumas Plane KillerKholgumass Rise

Also I kind of made a mini "gatewatch" to assist her in fighting Kholgumas.

Sukie Novice WitchDerrick Skilled InventorAya The Dragons PupilMorpheus Master Morpher

Again, please let me know what you think.

Comments

• edited May 2020
    cool set i like the idea, but i would leave out, or change the "mini gatewatch"

I think kholgumas's rise should say "Destroy target permanent"

and all the themes are good expect minotaur cause it's the only creature type on the list and draw two per turn
  • edited May 2020
    other than that i like the story and the idea but you should change the base of your story if you want this to be a "real set".

kholmagas shouldn't be an enchantment creature

and his rise is way too underpowed.
  • hope this helps
  • Kholgamas is just way to OP.
    "I play Kholgamas, what lands do you have?"
    "A forest, a couple mountains, and some dual lands."
    "I pick forest."
    Next turn
    "I attack with Kholgamas, and since you have a forest, he is unblockable and then you lose everything on your field"
    "I scoop"
  • edited May 2020
    @joemamajoe
     Yeah, probably Rise destroy 1-2  permanents or something a little stronger. Also, I have minotaurs AND spirits, 2 creature types themes currently.
  • Also. Yeah, kolumgas should probably do something similar to his rise, but upon damaging the player. 

• Overall @joemamajoe. Thx for the tips. 
  • edited May 2020
    @Bowler218. Lol, yeah, the card is a little broken but I was worried that it would be too weak being all five colors, so I gave it that ability (looking back on it, I am wondering how this made it to the final version) I guess not. I'll have to try and nerf it somehow.
  • edited May 2020
    Here's some more cards I wanted to post.

• Why is Mogis in this set?
  • edited May 2020
    So there was a story of some kind, but it's kind of a mess and super confusing. The original idea was that fragments of other planes combined together to form the plane Estrothia, but that didn't work out very well. The whole purpose of this set was really just my own take on a Masters/modern horizens style set.
  • Oh, that's fine.
  • Yeah, this is my first set, so I'm not super great at it.
  • Don't worry, I suck at set-building.
  • And mine should technically be easier, because I only have too make cards based on the story.
  • yeah. I need to try and work on the story a bit. Probably will keep the whole plane name and mechanics, but fix up some of the naming/flavor text. Also yeah, you have a pretty cool set too!
  • Which one did you see @Liwg?
  • I saw the Futuristic Ravinica one which was a really cool idea.
  • Also, did some renaming, and some new flavor text and now I've got something started.
    Like where it's going now. Estrothia is starting to become more of it's own plane.

• I like bolster.
  • Yeah. +1+1 counters is one of my favorite archetypes.
  • edited May 2020
    Fixed Kholgumas!! He's still pretty strong, but I had to nerf it a ton. Should now be strong bomb when everything comes together but nothing unbeatable.
    Kholgumas Plane Eater
  • Also updated the art for some more cards.

• Do you have a set skeleton for this? It would help a lot with making sure everything is balanced.
  • edited May 2020
    er.... sort of. Tried doing one, but messed it up.
  • @Liwg I remember this article from a couple years ago, but I had forgotten about it:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/nuts-bolts-design-skeleton-2010-02-15

I'm not very good at making skeletons either, but after reading it now, I learned some new things. I'm sure there is something you can learn from it too :)
  • I loved the nuts and bolts articles!
    Still failed at them though.
  • I like the new Kholgumas, but it is a little bit too underpowered now. it costs way to much. Maybe ditch the idea of 5 colors and maybe make it 3 colors instead.

And be careful with the legendarys there are way too much. Rares too.

• Also check out my custom set, the Guild Swarm and Caxus Thornsreaper. heres the links:

Feedback Guild Swarm https://forums.mtgcardsmith.com/discussion/5160/custom-set-the-guild-swarm#latest

Feedback Caxus https://forums.mtgcardsmith.com/discussion/5128/caxus-thornsreaper#latest 

The links are in the discussion.

Please tell me what you think.
  • edited May 2020
    @Leaf_Juggernaut Yeah. I did read the nuts and bolts article, didn't do so good at it, but might try it again. And @joemamajoe, yeah I kind of got carried away with legendaries because I wanted to make some characters involved on the plane. Btw I might make Kholumgas a colorless card with abilities similar to Emrakul or Ulamog.

@LordTachanka123. Yeah the article was very insightful and quite a good read, but I wasn't too good at it either lol.
This discussion has been closed.