Ozorion, the Harlem Music-Based Set - VISION DESIGN PHASE

Comments

• edited June 2020
    Hey!

If the idea of the rhythm thing actually picks up, here are a few additional comments on this concept:

• You should definitely look into the contraption mechanic in Unstable. It has kind of the same rhythm vibe to it, so just dissecting how that mechanic works and what all the cards do might bring a lot of answers and cool concepts for cards.
    • I made it quick as an example but there probably is a way to refine how it works so you don't have to physically turn the cards over every turn, that would probably be irritating after a while. Among the other options, you can for instance test having all text on one side but separated, and keep count of the beat separately. If we go back to the contraptions, sliding a dice left and right is probably easier that transforming a bunch of cards.
    • Every rhythm-based mechanic is probably going to have a big issue though: making sure players don't forget the rhythm. Whatever you choose to keep track of the rhythm, you need to keep that in mind and try to measure how bad it is if someone accidentally forgets a beat.
    • Don't hesitate to try cards that say "whenever CARDNAME transforms, effect", that's probably a large vein of fun design space ^^ And I would start by trying to find combinations of effects that you'd want on the same turn to see if there's enough design space. Again, the contraption cards were also designed with that in mind so I have a feeling they are probably a good place to start.

• edited June 2020
    @ningyounk

Thanks for the thoughts! I'll definitely look into the unstable contraptions for balance and creativity. 

- About keeping everything on one side of the card: I think the easiest way to do that would be to use the level text: I'm just not sure if it's appropriate to use it for another mechanic like Harmonize: 

It seems pretty smooth, and I don't see a way to avoid mentioning the word "level," so maybe it could work? It would certainly help to arrange the cards as well, because double-sided cards often have difficult display patterns. Like you mentioned, this would also help the players keep track of the creatures more easily. 
  • On second thought, I like the double-sided cards a little more, since they would have much more room for design space with things like "when this creature transforms, ect." The level frame seems a little more tight, and kind of intrudes upon the original mechanic by reusing the frame. 

If we just kept the double sided cards, perhaps they would flip at different times other than your upkeep? We would need some kind of pattern here; Werewolves are a good example. 
  • edited June 2020
    OK, here's an example for an "offbeat" Harmonizer, where one side is better than the other for balance. 

I'm honestly liking the upkeep shift a lot... I think it will help balance the game and not get too obsessive with end steps, ect. I also like the "on transform" triggers, with one being better than the other. 
  • I just realized this:

Why not use Evoke if you're going for a creature/modal/"multiface" spell sort of setup?
  • I think what’s important is that you get the feel of rhythm, @Arceus8523 . I don’t think evoke creates that feeling.
  • edited June 2020
    @Arceus8523 , @shadow123

Like Shadow said, the evoke thing wouldn't really capture the whole rhythm theme. We also need a new, flashy mechanic like mutate, and the double sided cards are sure to fit that slot. 

However, we do need a new name for the mechanic, as the ability has kind of fallen out of place for that name. Harmonize could actually be a better name for the mechanic that Shadow suggested, with the animate until end of turn effect. 

Synchronize? Some play on "beat? I'd be happy for suggestions! 
  • You guys awake?
  • Yep, I like rhythm better than beat or tempo.  
  • edited June 2020
    @LordTachanka123, @shadow123, @TerryTags

While I do like Rhythm, I feel like we need some kind of play on it, instead of just the word "Rhythm" as the mechanic name. 

Who knows though, maybe it could work! Does this not seems awkward to anyone else?
  • This seems awkward to me. I'm also going to say I prefer Tempo to Rhythm as a mechanic name.
  • edited June 2020
    @Arceus8523

Do you think this would work? 

I also like Tempo a lot more, I think it flows better and fits more with the mechanic. 

Question: Would we want to have different kinds of Tempo's, such as: 

Tempo Upkeep- At the beginning of your upkeep, transform this. 

Tempo Combat- At the beginning of combat on your turn, transform this. 

Tempo End Step- At the beginning of your end step, transform this. 

I honestly don't know how this would turn out, but it might be something to play around with going forward, and it would present more design space with the mechanic. 
  • I like tempo as the name and I think it is better if it triggers on your upkeep.
  • edited June 2020
    @tookie1 that's good, I think we're just going to stick with that version of Tempo for now, where it always trriggers on your upkeep. 

About Harmonize- How do we feel about this version of the mechanic: 

Harmonize N- Target noncreature permanent becomes a(n) N/N Song creature with haste in addition to its other types until end of turn. 

In terms of animating planeswalkers, we've seen this before with multiple Gideon's, so that shouldn't be to much of a problem. Does this seem to work?
  • Ooh, could we have a planeswalker who's a musician @Ral1000?
  • edited June 2020
    I like the idea of digging back into forgotten cards or old commons that have great flavor to consider what their story would be if their spark ignited.  For example, this is basically a nothing chump card: Woodland Mystic, but her flavor text says:

"I sing to the branches, and they reach to the sky. 
    I sing to the leaves, and the open to the sun.
    I sing to the roots, and they dig their fingers deep.
    I sing the song that creation sung."

That flavor text seems to fit the prevalence of music in Ozorion, and what if one of those Woodland Mystics was on ... I dunno ... Zendikar or something ... and when [something happened], her planeswalker spark ignited and she ended up on Ozorion? Seems like a neat way to get a singer planeswalker? I dunno. Just throwing things out there! :smile:

• edited June 2020
    @LordTachanka123

That's definitely the plan! We'll have at least one planeswalker like that, right now the thought is a Motzart-inspired young musician. He'll be someone for every student at the school to look up to. 

@TerryTags

Just saw your suggestion and I really like it! I think it would be an awsome plot point for Ozorion to be a kind of a magnet for musician planeswalkers on other planes. (:

Thoughts on the Harmonize mechanic?
  • Perhaps this is nitpicky, at this point in the design process, but ...

How do you feel about: Harmonize N  - As long as [whatever this permanent is] is on the battlefield, target noncreature permanent becomes a(n) N/N Song creature in addition to its other types.

Maybe?

Just seems like turning my Gruul Locket (for example) into a 3/3 creature with Haste, plus drawing a card, even at Sorcery speed, would seem to be a bit steeper in cost than a CMC of 3?  I'm still new at this, though!  LOL
  • I guess I'm just concerned about the Haste aspect, but I much prefer how you worded it with the Harmonize 3 = 3/3 creature, instead of the +1/+1 counters.  
  • edited June 2020
    @TerryTags

The one problem with that suggestion is the fact that it can only be on nonland permanents. I wanted to open it up to instants and sorceries as well, to add some more variety. Since our other new mechanic, Tempo, doesn't work on Instants and Sorceries, I think it would be good to have that contrast. 

About the Haste, that can be fixed. I see what you mean about that power level, so I would say we can just remove that part. 

Looks smoother (:

In terms of this specific card's power level, I would argue that I usually associate one {G} mana with one card. I think the extra 2 mana on top of that should be fine for a 3/3 until end of turn. 
  • Still thinking about this version of Harmonize, it seems like it fits better than the original, as songs don't go on forever, and the until end of turn effect is nice for this purpose. 

If no one has any objections, we'll be using this version for now!

One more new mechanic?

As we've seen from Ikoria, sets can definitely have more than two new mechanics. They usually only use one old mechanic, and rebound fits that slot for us. Now the question is: Do we want another? 

Some thoughts for this: 

- We want it to be especially flavorful. All recent sets in magic have one mechanic like this, to fit with the time period or mythology. Examples: 
    - Theros: Escape
    - Ikoria: Mutate
    - Amonkhet: Embalm 
    - Eldraine: Food/Adventure 
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -Rezatta: Masterwork
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    - While Tempo and Harmonize are music-based, we need something more flavorful at this point. If not a mechanic, maybe a theme? 

Thoughts? 
  • @Ral1000 You could use this mechanic of mine- it fits rather well here:
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/user/shadow123/sets/46214

• Also, since this set is about music, I think it is important that you reinforce that theme. Theros uses escape because it’s plot (sort of) has to do with escaping the underworld, Rezatta is all about art allowing us to use masterwork, so what mechanic defines this set?
  • What about "Echo"?  Not just because it sounds like something music-based, but because it has a game-tempo effect that could work thematically with any anti-music tribe you might want to put in the story?   For one example, aggro Red cards (maybe hasty gremlins/goblins?) could attempt to "disrupt the music" by casting powerful permanents cheaply, but which have an Echo cost to keep from sacrificing those permanents the next turn.
  • edited June 2020
    @shadow123

I really like the song mechanic! The one thing here is that it probably won't appear in common. There haven't been common non-aura enchantments in a while, and sagas follow the same rule. However, I would love for songs to make an appearance in the uncommon and rare slots!! 

I saw the mechanic before, and was actually meaning to ask you if it was OK to use. I'll start experimenting on cardsmith when I get the chance. (:

@TerryTags 

About Echo: It seems like it could work given the circumstances, but at the moment there's not much room for it... It doesn't seem to connect with the set directly, but I saw what you said and we can definitely keep in in mind in case we have space later on!  
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

General: While the set is generally music-based, I would like to have one mechanic that doesn't scream "music" when mentioned.

I know this is kind of Rezatta territory, but I just wanted to throw it out there: What do we think of a Rebirth-type mechanic? Rezatta never really ended up using it, they used Renaissance (A life-based mechanic) instead. 

This could also give us a chance to bring back the Enlightenment theme:

I think it would be cool for there to be some kind of a "trial" that each true warrior has to pass in order to be respected on the plane, involving enlightenment. Maybe this won't work, but i would definitely say that we need a sub theme; Not just a bland music plane with tribes. 
  • Since 4 new mechanics seem like a bit much, I would say we should take out Harmonize. The ability kind of just gives a keyword to many other effects in magic, and while we might not call it "Harmonize," we can still include some animation of lands, ect. 

Enlighten isn't fixed, and right now it's kind of copying an old Rezatta idea- I'm open to suggestions on how to improve it! 
  • I feel like Harmonize is more interesting than Enlighten for me. Enlighten feels more of an Azorius mechanic that could work in other colors while Harmonize seems like you could find more interesting design space with it.

My other suggestion is taking out rebound and replacing it with enlighten.
This discussion has been closed.