Fisticuff Friday

Comments

• edited April 2021

Week 3 results

What a beauty of a battle this was between @ShadowReign and @feralitator

1. Both decks took three or so turns to do anything, but then the funshow began.
    2. A card that adds 3 mana for 3 life enters play for ShadowReign's deck... oh boy... let the creature spamming begin.
    3. Unlucky draws for feralitator's deck result in nothing on turn 4, but a fun card for turn 5 where both decks fetch a creature. I grabbed the biggest thing in both decks. They fight each other and both die.
    4. Then more paying life for mana results in an overpowering amount of demons on the battlefield. Turn 6 comes about and the mighty kaiju deck throws out a big whomper, but it gets struck down by the Infestation deck and Infestation swings for the kill.
    Okay, let me dissect what happened today:
    • The opening hand for Kaiju deck was sensational.
    • The opening hand for Infestation had nothing to boast about.
    • Unfortunately nothing but lands were drawn for the Kaiju deck for the first 3 turns.
    • Infestation drew some two drops and the mana ramp card and got going quickly.
    • The problem with the Infestation deck was the mana card was OP. Pay 3 life add three mana... I spat my hand out.
    • The problem with the kaiju deck was nothing was drawn.. it was an unlucky match.
    Nonetheless, this was still single elimination and one deck won this match cleanly.

Good week!
  • It has arrived @jpastor, the long awaited Hellbound deck.

https://mtgcardsmith.com/user/ShadowReign/sets/60143
    Hellbound mono black Demon/Mill deck

4x Demon of Cataclysm
    3x Morbeus, of the Hellbound
    4x Demonic Devourer
    3x Cleansing of Sins
    2x Unholy Tutor
    4x Consumption Demonism
    4x Decaying Demon
    4x Display of Faith
    4x Rakdos Wrath
    4x Beastly Demon
    4x Inhabited Tree
    20x Swamp
  • I would like to enter yet another round with my Rackdos Infect. It's worked so far, and I'm in denial anyway.
  • Infect is a powerful deck build, I personally think it should be 20 poison counters cause you can get to 10 in a few turns, and it would work good for commander with it being half your starting life, but that's just my opinion.
  • I have play tested the deck a little and put some work into it. Here is the new deck, ready for Fisticuff Friday. https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/15-04-21-hellbound/
  • Anyone want to duel me live with these? Let's go! 
    twitch.tv/cryptocaillou
  • Results - Week 4

Well now... we have a new champion - Hellbound by @ShadowReign has finally defeated the mighty Rakdos Infect deck.

Here's how it took place:

1. First, he curb-stomped my Temur Eldrazi when I couldn't draw anything useful.
    2. Then, Rakdos Infect came out and dealt 10 damage + 5 poison...
    3. Finally... 3 kill spells later, all threats were finally removed despite the best efforts of Rakdos Infect to maintain their army.
    4. The Demons came out and dominated the remainder of the game.
  • edited April 2021
    Maybe my Demons will Reign for a little bit.
  • Ok, I'm working on a Viashino Jund deck, I'm doing it like Slivers, the Viashino are gonna give each other buffs.
  • edited April 2021
    Yay I lost! Now I have a logical reason to design a new deck. Um.
  • Make a Kor and Angels deck
  • I probably will, just by accident.
  • edited April 2021
    You know, I hate when I search for Seraphim art and it comes up with normal angels instead of the four-headed, four-winged entities they're meant to be. (Granted they are generally multi-winged, but still.) And Cherubim are just always little cupids, despite the fact they are both alternate translations of the same word!
    Sorry, I'm getting angry about theology again.
  • I like how you search Lizardmen and it shows a naked lady with a rose tattoo she's surprised to see. ThAnKs InTeRnEt.
  • edited April 2021
    Remembered that Seraphim are also supposed to have eyes everywhere. Possibly.
    https://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=457182&type=card
  • @KorandAngels I don't know if you'll find many results, since it's a bit of a meme, but maybe searching "biblically accurate angels" might get you something?
  • edited April 2021
    Its not really that important.
    (thanks though)
  • (Going to use normal angel art)
  • edited April 2021
    Didn't end up making any angels, but here's a mono-white aggressive-midrange Kor deck, with a slight Plains subtheme.
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/user/KorandAngels/sets/60300
    3x D'Leon of Makindi
    4x Kor Beastwrangler
    4x Kor Cavern Archer
    4x Kor Mentor
    4x Stone Pickaxe
    4x Druidic Sickle
    4x Cliffhaven Brave
    4x Kor Druid
    4x Skyclave Pharaoh
    25x Plains
  • @KorandAngels
    when @ShadowReign tried to create their deck on tappedout again, it worked the second time around. Is there any way you can follow the tutorial to a dime and try to upload on your own for this week?
  • @jpastor I ragequit after I forgot to press the "Add to deck" button for D'Leon, and also forgot to make him legendary.
  • edited April 2021
    My new deck uses a mechanic called "sink" (like a sinking ship, not a bathroom sink) that's probably going to be in my custom set. This mechanic cares about two or more cards leaving your library. I haven't really gotten to playtest this mechanic yet, so I have no idea if it's broken or not.

Anyways, here's the deck, "Blood in the Waters"

(Remember, a card self-mills unless it states "target player", "target opponent", or "each player")

I probably will change it a bit before Friday, idk.
  • I'll enter Hellbound again.
  • Results - Week 5

1. jpastor's Temur Eldrazi loses in 6 turns to Kor Deck by @KorandAngels (forfeit after no good draws)
    2. A 15 minute long, epic battle between @ShadowReign's Hellbound vs @feralitator's wicked new deck resulted in a back and forth match until Hellbound sent out all 3 7-drops: only to be sunk by feralitator's sacrifice creatures... and resulting is a 11 life to 0 life final.
    3. In the finale of the the two winning decks... a complicated game arose where the controlling of the Kor army was a difficult task for Blood in the Waters... but nonetheless the Kor were finally sunk by some key creatures in Blood in the Waters.
    • Key takeaways - the sink ability was too easily activated... all you need to do is draw a card at the upkeep and then mill 1 card or draw 1 card... the sink extra ability worked almost every time... 
    • the 3/2 Menace creature is too powerful - forcing defending player to sac a creature and then block a 3/2 with no creatures is just nearly impossible.
    • The Kor deck has a 0 equip card - which is fine, but it just didn't help the deck in the long run. Perhaps tweak it with a custom mechanic and make it a higher equip cost?
    • The Kor deck was too powerful for Temur Eldrazi - almost every creature was swinging for damage (totally jpastor's problem... Kor deck wasn't OP by any means)... just a key takeaway.
    Winner @feralitator
  • Next week - you will be allowed to create a deck using cards from any cardsmith.

This discussion has been closed.