[Destroyed]

Reward

• A favorite of your choice.
  • edited October 2021
    Challenge
    [Destroyed]

Reward

• Welcome to MICROCHALLENGES @SpellPiper2213!!
  • edited October 2021
    @ShadowReign glad to be here
  • edited October 2021
    Challenge
    [Destroyed]
    RewardReward
    • AA favoritefavorite ofof youryour choicechoice.. (Limited time reward will last until next challenge. You will receive 2 favorites of your choice for everytime you complete this challenge.)
  • edited October 2021
    Codebreaker Warlock

• edited November 2021
    Challenge
    [Destroyed]

Reward

• edited November 2021
    Challenge
    [Destroyed]
    Reward

Just thought that I would mention: You can complete each challenge multiple times, as long as you submit it before it's destroyed; and you may choose another Cardsmiths card for your Reward.
  • https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/hall-of-the-alchemist

It's too late for the rare land challenge but just in time for this one.
  • Yes it will, nice work @Jadefire.
  • @Saila - Please post your cards to the appropriate threads.
  • edited November 2021
    Challenge
    [Destroyed]
    Reward
  • Very cool and unique design there @jpastor, I like it.
  • @jpastor - If you gain "and" until end of turn, what does that do?
     o:) 
  • I like how you can never permanently kill a creature with Contrive without exiling it.  It's not like Unearth, Embalm, or Eternalize and it's much easier to just repeatedly pay mana for Contrive than to repeatedly Escape.
  • @Jadefire True, but 6 mana for those stats is a hefty cost. So it's pretty well balanced.
  • Wouldn’t the creature lose the Contrive ability unless it’s in brackets? Why would it keep the Contrive ability if it “loses all text not in brackets”?
  • Ah, very true @cadstar369. Nice catch.
  • @cadstar369 Because once a card changes zones, it's treated like a new object.  It would lose Contrive as a creature when the Contrive cost is paid but then it would "forget" that it lost it once it's back in the graveyard.  It's not like Stigma Lasher or a card that permanently changes a player's hand size because players don't go between different zones, even if the cards that affect them do.  Skullbriar, the Walking Grave needed special ability text to keep its counters on it when it underwent zone transitions.
  • @Jadefire I'm not sure Skullbriar is an appropriate example here because its ability keeps additional objects on it when it changes zones, as opposed to keeping changed card text. The 'for the remainder of the game' reminder text seems to imply that Contrive is meant to vanish after being used.

Since I can find no close equivalent to this kind of effect though (the closest thing I can find on what might happen is based on rulings on Magical Hack), I suppose it would be best to simply ask @jpastor what he intended upon coming up with the ability. It could be that this ability is intended to be a characteristic-defining ability, which would delete the card's text in all zones after activation (as far as I understand).

It is kind of funny to consider a sorcery with only the words 'lifelink vigilance' sitting in a graveyard though.
  • @cadstar369 I suppose Sleight of Mind and Magical Hack and like effects are the best comparison.  A straightforward reading of the card seems to indicate that the Contrive cost is payable only once but then it's creating unnecessary confusion to not just exile the card upon activation.  And then what happens if you bring the card back to your hand and try recasting it as a Sorcery?  It's just a spell that requires no targets and says "Lifelink Vigilance" upon resolution.  And if you reshuffle the card into your library how do you track it among other copies of the card in there?
  • @Jadefire while I think it would cause some potentially funny shenanigans (you could discard it to avoid pitching better cards, and it would still count toward the number of sorceries (in this case) in a particular zone other than the battlefield), it would probably be best for a perspective of minimizing confusion to just tack on some Unearth-style reminder text of 'If this creature would leave the battlefield, exile it instead.' I do think the ability in its current form can be used to create more interesting effects with smaller amounts of text than just having some sort of token creation for exiling the card. (Especially because the token can be defined quickly and easily with the deleted text.)

If the ability were to remain as it is now though, I think it would do nothing and simply go to your graveyard when cast. From what I can find, if a card's text is nonsensical, the text is treated as nonexistent; perhaps this is due to the same reasons why missing/illegal target(s) cause an effect to fizzle.
  • @cadstar369 I agree, I was thinking that adding an unearth clause that exiles the creature if it tries to go anywhere else would be an appropriate solution to make Contrive do what it seems like it was designed to do.

The logic is sound that the card would do nothing if you can't complete an action required by it.  I guess it would just be graveyard fodder/filler in that case.
  • edited November 2021
    Challenge
    [Destroyed]
    Reward
  • edited November 2021
    @cadstar369
    @Jadefire
    I wanted it to just be a 2/4 creature with lifelink and vigilance with no other abilities. If this holds true when the creature dies, it has no other text on the card and would revert to being a sorcery card (i think) with lifelink, vigilance and nothing else.
This discussion has been closed.