The Planar Die Saga

⚠️This contains unpredictable chaos⚠️

Introduction (Video)

Prepare for total mayhem as we embark on a wild journey as characters in a Planechase Anthology Common Planechase Planechase Common storyline. Join in anytime by creating a card for your very own original character. Follow challenge prompts and create cards that I'll inject into your character's story. Every character is always on the same Plane and participating at their own pace to earn loyalty for rewards. Each day or so, I'll roll the Planar Die.

The Planar Die

With each roll of the Planar Die, brace yourself for the unpredictable!

1. Planeswalk : Everyone planeswalks away to a new Plane. I judge entries from the Plane we just left and pick top 3-5 to earn Planar Points.
  2. Blank : Nothing happens.
  3. Blank : Nothing happens.
  4. Blank : Nothing happens.
  5. Blank : Nothing happens.
  6. Chaos : Characters are swapped with another player at random, igniting new twists in their stories.

Unlockables

Unlock additional characters to expand your horizons. You can pursue multiple storylines simultaneously or focus on your preferred character. When Chaos  ensues, you retain access to the same number of characters you've unlocked.

Each Challenge Prompt offers a 50/50 chance at a receiving a spell. Collect these spells and cast them whenever you desire.

Milestones

• 5 loyalty = 5 Hugs (Favorites donated to another cardsmith)
  • 10 loyalty = 5 Favorites for you
  • Every 25 loyalty = Unlock a character -and- optionally, delete a character
  • Every 50 loyalty = 50/50 Featured Card
  • Every 100 loyalty = Featured Card + 50/50 Premium
  • Every 250 loyalty = Featured Card + Premium + 50/50 Playmat

Comments

• Welcome!

All Planes are randomly generated custom Planes for your Planeschase adventure.

Your original character need not be themed for a specific plane, since you will walk the multiverse. 

Our saga begins.

Plane Name: Astral Nexus

Description: Astral Nexus is a plane of interconnected cosmic energies and ethereal pathways. It is a realm where the boundaries between planes are blurred, and Planeswalkers can tap into the raw essence of the multiverse.

Key Features:

1. Celestial Auras: The entire plane is bathed in a soft, radiant glow, with ethereal wisps of energy floating through the air. Planeswalkers on Astral Nexus gain enhanced mana capacity, allowing them to cast more powerful spells.
    2. Flux Nodes: Scattered throughout the plane are Flux Nodes, shimmering crystalline formations that act as portals to other planes. Planeswalkers can manipulate these nodes to redirect their journey, opening up opportunities to explore new realms.
    3. Cosmic Echoes: As Planeswalkers traverse Astral Nexus, they may encounter residual echoes of other planes. These echoes manifest as temporary boosts or hindrances, affecting the abilities of creatures, spells, or even the environment itself.
  • I’d like to toss this oddball into the mix:

• edited July 2023

Amberk

@cadstar369

As you step onto the plane of Astral Nexus, you feel the pulsating energy of the celestial auras enveloping you. The soft glow illuminates your surroundings, revealing the ethereal pathways that crisscross the plane. You are drawn to one of the Flux Nodes nearby, its shimmering crystalline structure beckoning you to manipulate its power.

Your character, Amberk, Stonebark Trapper, stands strong and resolute, ready to explore this mystical realm. Amberk possesses a deep connection to the raw essence of the multiverse, granting them the ability to tap into the cosmic shifting of Astral Nexus.

As you traverse Astral Nexus, you come across a group of ethereal beings known as the Luminoth. They are radiant creatures, embodying the cosmic energy of the plane. The Luminoth, fascinated by your presence, challenge you to a contest of skill and wits. They wish to test your ability to harness the power of the celestial auras.

Challenge Prompt: Develop a card that represents a spell or ability Amberk can use to impress the Luminoth and showcase their connection to the celestial energy of Astral Nexus.

Once you have created the card, I will weave it into the story and provide you with your next challenge prompt.

You've drawn a spell.

Reanimate
    Cast Reanimate to repost a creature card you've posted in past Plane. It will be judged in this plane but won't impact your story. You favorite a number of cards created by other Cardsmiths equal to its mana value.
  • Might as well rework this guy to be a legendary for this contest since it basically got shat on one the last contest ?

• edited July 2023
    Also your voice acting is a heaven send Jpastor ? I have always wanted to explore the planechase are of mtg design or atleast a concept connected to it.
  • edited July 2023
    Challenge Prompt: Develop a card that represents a spell or ability Amberk can use to impress the Luminoth and showcase their connection to the celestial energy of Astral Nexus.
    Turning one arrow into a hail of amber traps should be plenty impressive.

Amber Volley

Spell Inventory
    Reanimate ~ Cast Reanimate to repost a creature card you've posted in past Plane. It will be judged in this plane but won't impact your story. You favorite a number of cards created by other Cardsmiths equal to its mana value.
  • Planar Die Roll - Chaos : Characters are swapped with another player at random.

Igneous

@cadstar369

As you step onto Astral Nexus, you find yourself surrounded by the radiant glow of the celestial auras that permeate the plane. The ethereal wisps of energy dance around you, as if welcoming your presence. You can feel the enhanced mana capacity granted by this plane coursing through your veins, empowering you to cast more potent spells.

Amidst the shimmering crystalline Flux Nodes scattered throughout Astral Nexus, you spot a particular node pulsating with a vibrant energy. As you approach, you realize it holds a unique power, capable of channeling the cosmic energies of this plane. Placing your hand on the node, you invoke the ability of Cosmic Shifting, ready to embrace the unpredictable nature of the multiverse.

As your journey commences, you encounter a group of native creatures known as Luminary Gazers. These ethereal beings are drawn to the celestial auras of Astral Nexus and can sense the fluctuations in cosmic energy. They invite you to participate in a challenge that tests your ability to harness the plane's energies.

Challenge Prompt: Create a card that represents a Luminary Gazer and its interaction with the celestial auras of Astral Nexus. The card should incorporate the Cosmic Shifting mechanic and highlight the luminary nature of these creatures.

Cosmic Shifting - Roll a six-sided die: [effect]. Activate only once per turn as a sorcery.)

Once you've created the card, I will integrate it into the story, and provide you with your next prompt.

Amberk

@Tonysparks

As Amberk faces the Luminoth in their contest, they channel the celestial energy coursing through Astral Nexus. With a gesture and a focused burst of power, Amberk casts Amber Volley, an impressive spell that resonates with the radiant essence of the plane.

The Luminoth's leader, a shimmering figure with wings of pure light, watches as Amberk's spell takes effect. In an instant, one of the Luminoth's companions vanishes, exiled from the battle. The surrounding creatures of both Amberk and the Luminoth disappear as well, absorbed by the cosmic energies of Astral Nexus.

The Luminoth's eyes widen with awe as they witness the creatures being exiled. They recognize the profound connection Amberk possesses with the celestial energy, as the spell not only removes threats but also grants new life to all involved. Each player gains 2 life for each creature they owned that was exiled this way, symbolizing the harmonious nature of Astral Nexus.

Impressed by your display of power and understanding of the plane's energies, the Luminoth extend their radiant wings in a sign of respect. They offer you a token of their appreciation, a crystalline shard imbued with cosmic energy.

Challenge Prompt: Create a card that represents the crystalline shard gifted to you by the Luminoth. This shard holds the essence of Astral Nexus and can unlock unique powers when channeled. What abilities or effects does it offer to Amberk, Stonebark Trapper?

Once you've designed the card, I will incorporate it into the story, and provide you with the next challenge prompt.

You've drawn a spell: Raised by Wolves
    Raised by Wolves: You get 5 favorites if you incorporate Wolves into the design of a card for a challenge prompt.
  • LOL, a character swap on the first roll! ?
    Challenge Prompt: Create a card that represents a Luminary Gazer and its interaction with the celestial auras of Astral Nexus. The card should incorporate the Cosmic Shifting mechanic and highlight the luminary nature of these creatures.
    Luminary Gazer

Spell Inventory
    Reanimate ~ Cast Reanimate to repost a creature card you've posted in past Plane. It will be judged in this plane but won't impact your story. You favorite a number of cards created by other Cardsmiths equal to its mana value.
  • Well there goes my character T_T

Challenge Prompt: Create a card that represents the crystalline shard gifted to you by the Luminoth. This shard holds the essence of Astral Nexus and can unlock unique powers when channeled. What abilities or effects does it offer to Amberk, Stonebark Trapper?

A stone of miniscule cosmic energy. It allows a lesser form of immortality to those who harbor no malice such as elementals. As long as your heart harbors no hate, a long life is guaranteed.

• Planar Die Roll: Blank 

Igneous

The Luminary Gazer hovers gracefully in the air, its translucent form shimmering with the celestial auras of Astral Nexus. As you interact with this enigmatic creature, you sense its connection to the plane's energies, particularly through its lifelink ability.

Embracing the Cosmic Shifting within you, you engage in a friendly contest of skill and precision. The Luminary Gazers summon an ethereal target, a manifestation of their combined energies, for you to test your abilities against. They urge you to channel the cosmic energy and enhance the strength of your strikes.

Your task is to create a card that represents this ethereal target and your ability to harness the celestial auras through Cosmic Shifting. The card should incorporate combat-related mechanics and synergize with the Luminary Gazer's lifelink ability.
    Once you've crafted the card, we will weave it into the story, and I will present you with your next prompt.

Amberk

The Luminoth, deeply impressed by your mastery of the celestial energies, present you with the Stone of Harmonious Souls. This legendary artifact resonates with the harmonious essence of Astral Nexus, emanating a soft, radiant glow as you hold it in your hands.

The Stone of Harmonious Souls, a mythic rare artifact, becomes a conduit for the balance and interconnectedness of life and death on Astral Nexus. It possesses a powerful ward that harmonizes with your life force, ensuring that your life total cannot surpass the controller of the artifact.

As you attune to the Stone, its properties become clear. Whenever a creature enters a graveyard, it is swiftly exiled from the mortal plane. However, the essence of the fallen creature remains connected to its owner, allowing them the opportunity to reclaim it. Until the end of their next turn, the owner of the exiled creature may cast it, but at an increased cost of {2}.

The Stone of Harmonious Souls resonates with the profound harmony of Astral Nexus, and when a player casts a creature from exile, they are rewarded with a surge of life energy, gaining 2 life.

The Luminoth, witnessing your acceptance and understanding of the Stone's power, bow respectfully before you. Their wings shimmer brightly as they fade into the celestial energies of Astral Nexus, leaving you to explore the plane further.

Challenge Prompt: As you venture deeper into Astral Nexus, you encounter a group of wayward Planeswalkers who have lost their sense of direction. They seek guidance and aid to find their way back home. Create a card that represents your interaction with these lost Planeswalkers and the assistance you provide them.

Once you've designed the card, I will incorporate it into the story, and provide you with the next challenge prompt.

• By the way cadstar, I really like your card! I had a feeling this plane would be in your wheelhouse. Perhaps this is your home plane? Maybe... maybe it's still out there.
  • edited July 2023
    Thanks! ? I think there’s still some seeking to do before we find my home plane though. ? I’m pretty stumped on this current challenge too; I’m easily on my 10th iteration or so atm. ?
  • I will lend you a small helping hand!
  • @cadstar369
    Perhaps I should step in and help out by making the mechanic of cosmic shifting more accessible... How about we allow it to be worded in such a way that it can be used anytime.. conditionally.. like this:

Whenever Ethereal Manifestation attacks, you may activate Cosmic Shifting. If you do, roll a six-sided die..... 

Would this help you?
  • edited July 2023
    Challenge Prompt: Your task is to create a card that represents this ethereal target and your ability to harness the celestial auras through Cosmic Shifting. The card should incorporate combat-related mechanics and synergize with the Luminary Gazer's lifelink ability.

Came up with this a while ago, just being slow to post. ? Also, since Cosmic Shifting is (as far as I could tell due to its placement) an ability word that indicates one or more d6 will be rolled, that sort of ability was available already in theory. The issues I was having had more to do with fitting all four requirements on the card without giving it a million abilities and tons of text. (Definitely a tough & interesting challenge!)

Spell Inventory

• Hi @cadstar369

I'll take tough and interesting! 

Let's add some clarity to the flexible nature of this custom mechanic without making it too specific for you to follow.

Cosmic Shifting is a keyword ability that allows creature use to manipulate the nature of their spells and abilities on Astral Nexus. Each turn, a creature may choose to activate Cosmic Shifting once, either at the beginning of their main phase or during combat. When activated, the Planeswalker rolls a six-sided die. The result determines the effect of the Cosmic Shift, which can range from granting a temporary power boost to triggering a special ability based on the result rolled.

- in this case, during combat would refer to "When it attacks" :)

• edited July 2023
    Each turn, a creature may choose to activate Cosmic Shifting once, either at the beginning of their main phase or during combat.

in this case, during combat would refer to "When it attacks"
    Looks like I’ll have to redo Luminary Gazer then, since it doesn’t have a beginning of main phase clause. (This clarification makes Cosmic Shifting significantly narrower than its initial form, since it now only works at exactly two points during the average turn.) Would it be okay to turn this restriction into “activate only before your postcombat main phase and only once each turn” for activated abilities? (Overall, my confusion mainly stems from not understanding why Cosmic Shifting can only be used incredibly proactively. It’s not necessarily bad that it functions that way, I just don’t see why you want it to.)

Edit: Saw your reply. ?? :)
  • @cadstar369
    no need to redo - i'm just sharing what I typed up originally - it's just a temporary mechanic for this temporary plane... no need to get it right. In fact... all i really care for is the name and rolling a six-sided die - so let's just go with that!
  • edited July 2023

Planar Die Roll - Chaos : Characters are swapped with another player at random.

Amberk (@cadstar369)

The Luminoth, deeply impressed by your mastery of the celestial energies, present you with the Stone of Harmonious Souls. This legendary artifact resonates with the harmonious essence of Astral Nexus, emanating a soft, radiant glow as you hold it in your hands.

The Stone of Harmonious Souls, a mythic rare artifact, becomes a conduit for the balance and interconnectedness of life and death on Astral Nexus. It possesses a powerful ward that harmonizes with your life force, ensuring that your life total cannot surpass the controller of the artifact.

As you attune to the Stone, its properties become clear. Whenever a creature enters a graveyard, it is swiftly exiled from the mortal plane. However, the essence of the fallen creature remains connected to its owner, allowing them the opportunity to reclaim it. Until the end of their next turn, the owner of the exiled creature may cast it, but at an increased cost of {2}.

The Stone of Harmonious Souls resonates with the profound harmony of Astral Nexus, and when a player casts a creature from exile, they are rewarded with a surge of life energy, gaining 2 life.

The Luminoth, witnessing your acceptance and understanding of the Stone's power, bow respectfully before you. Their wings shimmer brightly as they fade into the celestial energies of Astral Nexus, leaving you to explore the plane further.

Challenge Prompt: As you venture deeper into Astral Nexus, you encounter a group of wayward Planeswalkers who have lost their sense of direction. They seek guidance and aid to find their way back home. Create a card that represents your interaction with these lost Planeswalkers and the assistance you provide them.

You've drawn a spell: Scab-Clan Giant 

Scab-Clan Giant (When you play Scab-Clan Giant, it fights a creature card another player has created on the Plane chosen at random. The winner of the fight gets a favorite.)

Igneous (@Tonysparks)

The Luminary Quarry stands tall, a formidable presence among the ethereal beings. Its crystalline form radiates a soft glow, blending seamlessly with the celestial auras of Astral Nexus. The Luminary Gazers challenge you to face this resilient creature in combat, testing your skill and strategy.

As you face the Luminary Quarry, you can feel its unyielding determination to fulfill its duty as a defender of the plane. It blocks every attack directed towards it with unwavering resolve. No opponent can evade its watchful gaze.

Your task now is to create a card that represents your interaction with the Luminary Quarry and its unique abilities. The card should reflect the defensive nature of the Quarry while rewarding you for successfully blocking with it. It should also incorporate the Cosmic Shifting mechanic, allowing you to further augment the creature's impact.

Create Cosmic Shifting as you imagine it, provided it involves a six-sided die roll.

Once you've crafted the card, we will incorporate it into the story, and I will provide you with your next challenge prompt.
  • edited July 2023

@cadstar369 - Milestone: 5 Loyalty

You've reached 5 loyalty and earned 5 Hugs (5 favorites donated to other cardsmiths of your choice.)
  • Challenge Prompt: As you venture deeper into Astral Nexus, you encounter a group of wayward Planeswalkers who have lost their sense of direction. They seek guidance and aid to find their way back home. Create a card that represents your interaction with these lost Planeswalkers and the assistance you provide them.

Spell Inventory

Scab-Clan Giant (4/5) ~ When you play Scab-Clan Giant, it fights a creature card another player has created on the Plane chosen at random. The winner of the fight gets a favorite.

• edited July 2023
    @Tonysparks
    I've updated the previous post with your story and prompt! Sorry for the delay!

Oh and you've drawn a spell:

Malakir Familiar Whenever you get a favorite on an entry you've posted here, you can cast this and I'll favorite the entry, too.
  • edited July 2023

Amberk (@cadstar369)

As you explore deeper into the ethereal pathways of Astral Nexus, you stumble upon a group of lost Planeswalkers. They appear disoriented, their once confident steps now hesitant and unsure. Recognizing their need for guidance and aid, you reach out to them, offering your assistance to find their way back home.

With the Stone of Harmonious Souls resonating by your side, you tap into the harmonious energies of Astral Nexus and channel them into a spell known as Seek the Paths. This rare sorcery allows you to tap into the interconnectedness of the planes, searching your library for up to four land cards with different names.

As you cast Seek the Paths, the Planeswalkers' eyes widen with hope. They see you unravel the ethereal pathways within Astral Nexus, revealing the potential routes they can take to return to their respective planes. However, they are not entirely in control of their fate. An opponent among them is chosen to make a pivotal decision.

The chosen opponent selects one of the revealed land cards, symbolizing the guiding path for the lost Planeswalkers. This card is shuffled back into your library, representing the uncertainty of their journey. From the remaining revealed lands, you choose one to put onto the battlefield, providing a tangible path for the Planeswalkers to follow. The remaining lands are then placed into your hand, representing the wisdom and guidance you share with them.

As you extend your knowledge and aid to the lost Planeswalkers, a newfound sense of direction fills their beings. Grateful for your assistance, they gather their strength and set forth, their steps now confident as they begin their journey back home.

Challenge Prompt: While assisting the lost Planeswalkers, you stumble upon an enigmatic creature known as the Astral Sentinel. This otherworldly being guards a hidden pathway leading to a realm of arcane knowledge. Create a card that represents the Astral Sentinel and the challenges it presents to those who seek its wisdom.

• Your task now is to create a card that represents your interaction with the Luminary Quarry and its unique abilities. The card should reflect the defensive nature of the Quarry while rewarding you for successfully blocking with it. It should also incorporate the Cosmic Shifting mechanic, allowing you to further augment the creature's impact.
    Create Cosmic Shifting as you imagine it, provided it involves a six-sided die roll.

I also activate Malakir Familiar on Stone Of Harmonius Souls

• Challenge Prompt: While assisting the lost Planeswalkers, you stumble upon an enigmatic creature known as the Astral Sentinel. This otherworldly being guards a hidden pathway leading to a realm of arcane knowledge. Create a card that represents the Astral Sentinel and the challenges it presents to those who seek its wisdom.

Spell Inventory

Scab-Clan Giant (4/5) ~ When you play Scab-Clan Giant, it fights a creature card another player has created on the Plane chosen at random. The winner of the fight gets a favorite.

• edited July 2023

Planar Die Roll: Blank 

Igneous (@Tonysparks)

As the Luminary Quarry defends the Astral Nexus with unwavering resolve, you find yourself drawn to the delicate balance between defense and unity. Inspired by the luminary creatures and their connection to the celestial auras, you delve into the depths of cosmic energy to create a spell that embodies harmony and protection.

Harmonious Strands is a powerful instant that allows you to tap into the essence of Astral Nexus, utilizing the Cosmic Shifting mechanic. When cast, it grants you the ability to prevent all combat damage that would be dealt during the turn. By rolling a six-sided die, you have the chance to ascend even further, preventing all damage instead.

Furthermore, as the endstep approaches, the harmonious energy resonates, causing the destruction of a number of equipment pieces equal to the value rolled on the Cosmic Shifting die. This destructive act serves as a reminder that true unity can only be achieved when weapons and tools of aggression are put aside.

With Harmonious Strands in your arsenal, you are prepared to embrace the delicate balance between defense and unity. As you weave this card into your repertoire, a sense of calm and purpose envelops you.

Before your journey on Astral Nexus continues, the Luminary Gazers bring forth another challenge, eager to witness your ingenuity and strength.

Challenge Prompt:

Create a card that represents a celestial being of immense power, summoned by the Luminary Gazers to protect the balance of Astral Nexus. This card should embody the cosmic energies of the plane, showcase its own unique abilities, and have synergy with the Luminary Gazer's lifelink ability.

Once you've created the card, we will seamlessly integrate it into the story, and I will present you with your next challenge prompt.

Amberk (@cadstar369)

As you venture deeper into Astral Nexus, assisting the lost Planeswalkers on their journey, you encounter an enigmatic creature known as the Astral Sentinel. This rare Elemental being stands tall and resolute, guarding a hidden pathway that leads to a realm of arcane knowledge.

The Astral Sentinel, with its vigilant gaze, serves as a guardian of cosmic wisdom within Astral Nexus. It possesses a natural ability to manipulate the very fabric of reality, attuned to the celestial energies that permeate the plane.

With a power level of 3/5, the Astral Sentinel's strong presence and Vigilance make it a formidable force to reckon with. However, it holds an additional ability that reflects its unique connection to the shifting nature of the cosmos.

Known as Cosmic Shifting, this ability triggers whenever the Astral Sentinel becomes the target of a spell or ability. At that moment, a six-sided die is rolled, embracing the uncertain nature of Astral Nexus. The result of the roll holds significance, influencing the Sentinel's protective capabilities.

When any player rolls one or more dice, the Astral Sentinel adapts to the cosmic energies unleashed. It gains +0/+1, bolstering its defenses, and gains protection from each mana value equal to the results rolled. This protection shields the Astral Sentinel from the specific mana values indicated, ensuring it can weather the challenges presented.

The Astral Sentinel, with its watchful eyes and the power to harness the shifting cosmic energies, poses a formidable challenge to those who seek the hidden realm of arcane knowledge. It stands as the final guardian before you can access the depths of wisdom that lie beyond.

Challenge Prompt: As you successfully navigate past the Astral Sentinel, you reach the hidden realm of arcane knowledge. Within this realm, you encounter a mystical tome, said to contain ancient spells and forgotten lore. Create a card that represents the mystical tome and the powerful magic it holds within.

• Challenge Prompt: As you successfully navigate past the Astral Sentinel, you reach the hidden realm of arcane knowledge. Within this realm, you encounter a mystical tome, said to contain ancient spells and forgotten lore. Create a card that represents the mystical tome and the powerful magic it holds within.

Spell Inventory

• I'll be dropping out of this due to lack of time. Good stuff though Jpastor

Amberk (@cadstar369)

As you navigate past the enigmatic Astral Sentinel and reach the hidden realm of arcane knowledge, you discover the legendary artifact known as the Singularity Grimoire. This mythic rare artifact emanates a potent aura of mystic power, captivating all who lay eyes upon it.

The Singularity Grimoire, a complex and powerful artifact, requires an investment of {4}{u}{u}{u} to unleash its true potential. Once activated, the Grimoire grants you access to its immense knowledge and spellcasting prowess.

With a cost of {1}{u}{u} and a tap, you may activate the Grimoire's primary ability. It allows you to exile up to one target instant or sorcery card from each graveyard. As you do so, a grimoire counter is placed on each card exiled this way, representing the profound connection the Grimoire forges with the arcane essence of these spells.

But that's not all—the Grimoire then proceeds to copy each exiled card with a grimoire counter on it, doubling their potential. These copied cards remain in exile and are available for you to cast without paying their mana costs, granting you an unparalleled advantage on the battlefield.

The Singularity Grimoire is a treasure trove of ancient spells and forgotten lore, granting you access to a plethora of magical abilities. With this powerful artifact in your possession, you stand ready to harness the full potential of the arcane energies within Astral Nexus.

Challenge Prompt: As you delve deeper into the realm of arcane knowledge, you encounter an entity known as the Cosmic Librarian. This enigmatic being holds the wisdom of countless planes and seeks to preserve the balance of knowledge. Create a card that represents the Cosmic Librarian and the unique abilities it possesses.

This discussion has been closed.