You Make The Card (YMTC)

Comments

• Thanks for the favourite @jaceberlin!  Much appreciated.

• https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/zixlauth-who-outruns-light

The phasing out represents being too fast to be affected by anything. The beginning the game thing represents zooming into the fray before anybody else can react.
  • I'm going to be gone for the rest of the week, so I'm not going to be able to answer any questions.
  • https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/rift-shrine

While not technically a card you can play before the first turn (most things are WAY too powerful to get for free on turn 0), this card can be used before the start of the game and gives you the potential to set yourself up in a variety of different ways with a limited delayed free play.  It's also more useful than a Serum Powder if you just cast it, as it can help with card selection coming off of a mulligan.
  • Week thirteen deadline complete

Thank you all so much for your participation!

We had 5 entries this week, let's get onto judging.

@TheDarkKnight1234567 - Twilight Sphinx
    Ok, I love the uniqueness of having it enter on the mulligain.

My only real issue for this is that a turn one 4/4 flyer for 0 is definitely too powerful. Even at a mythic rare, and the downside of bottoming a card, I would make this a 3/3 or even a 2/2. I think that with the starting for free clause, most creatures are too powerful for free. However, I will say is is better balanced than some i have seen

Overall, a really cool and unique card, just too powerful. 83/100

@LvB - Mad scientist
    "How mad is he?" "yes" too perfect.

Ok, firstly, I think that the draw 2 when he enters is unneeded, as the ability to get him in for free is already powerful enough. However, I need to say that drawing and additional card on your draw phase is insane for 3 mana, let alone for free on turn one. This is way too powerful. I think this would have worked best as just a simple, you get it on first, and madness is reduced by {1}. However, I must say that I do really like the clause where you can't play cards on the first turn.

Over, way too powerful, the drawing is just unnecessary. 69/100

@Yururu - Childlike Wonder 
    Ok, this one feels like it is the best balanced so far with the first turn free ability.

I only really have one real problem with this card and that is the fact that the looking and each other player's hand feels a little powerful on this card, you already are going to know every card your opponents are "drawing", so it seems reasonable to keep the opening hand secret. That said, it's not a huge power advantage, just feels a little unfair.

Overall, very cool card, though the looking at hand part could be removed. 88/100

@kaoz42 - Zixlauth, Who Outruns Light
    I love incorporating the different dice into mtg, I just think there can be some really cool things done with d4s, d8s or d12s.

Firstly, this card has the same problem with Twilight Sphinx in the fact that it is just too powerful of a creature to get for free on turn 1. But this is worse, for it has haste, and when it attacks, it pretty much can't be hurt for the rest of the game. This card is just way too powerful to be getting for free on turn one with no downsides.

overall, way too powerful of a card to be getting for free. 70/100

@Jadefire - Rift Shrinne   
    This card is definitely the most balanced out of all the cards shown off so far, and it is honestly awsome.

Ok, so while I think that is an amazing card, and would easily win as an individual card, this kind of missed the mark on the prompt. The prompt was "Create a card that can be played before the start of the first turn." This was meant for the card itself to be played. And yes, I know that "most things are WAY too powerful to get for free on turn 0", the challenge was to create something that is still balanced even with this upside.

So even with this being an amazing card, that on its own deserves 90s, I have to give it an 85/100.
    That means Congrats @Yururu You have won Week thirteen of YMTC! Congrats!

your prize is:
    5 favs

Thank you all for your participation!
  • Week Thirteen Prompt

Make a card with an absurdly high condition for a trigger or other effect (eg: The Millennium Calendar) (Credit to: @jaceberlin)

I hope you have fun with this week's prompt and enjoy the challenge!
  • I'm really enjoying how I happen to have cards I've already made that fit these recent prompts.

Acolyte of the Abyss
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/acolyte-of-the-abyss?list=user
  • edited January 14
    @Robo_Kitty

How does this card look?

The difference between normal instant and Scroll instant is Scroll instant is an activated ability rather than being a casted spell while allowing user do anything they wants to once a condition been met.
  • @FireOfGolden, not sure that fits the prompt.
  • @FireOfGolden, It just doesn't really feel absurd enough. The challenge is looking for things like The Millennium Calendar, which requires 1,000 counters.
  • LvBLvB
    edited January 14

Considering the mad scientist from last week, you only draw 2 extra cards if you play him before turn one. If you play him the regular way for 3 mana you dont draw 2 cards.
    Then first round looks like this:
    7 cards -> mad scientist before turn 1 -> 6 cards -> draw 2 -> 8 cards -> draw phase: draw extra card -> you may not play any cards on turn 1 -> discard phase: discard 2 cards.

If you would always draw 2 cards when playing him he would be way too strong.
  • edited January 15
    @Robo_Kitty Thanks for the challenge, it was fun. Likes can go to any of my cards you want.
    On Childlike Wonder, it was thought as a mix of young curiosity and ephemeral wants ("I really like this" one day, "I'm not a fan anymore" the next). Given Telepathy is 1-CMC and such spy-esque mechanics are not unknown to Red, I thought seeing peoples' hand as a benefit of having it early (in life/on the opening hand) was fitting.
  • @Robo_Kitty
    I made different scroll, will this do?

• edited January 21
    Week Thirteen deadline complete

Thank you all so much for your participation!

We had 4 entries this week, let's get onto judging.

@TheDarkKnight1234567 - Acolyte of the Abyss
    Starting off with a good one, I really like cards like this, that become more powerful when certain conditions are met.

Ok, so my only real problem with this card is that the prompt was to create something with an absurdly high condition. So while I do thin k that it meets the absurd category, it doesn't really meet the high part. However, for it meeting the absurd part well enough, I'm not going to deduct to many points.

Overall great card, just doesn't fit the prompt perfectly. 88/100

@LvB - The End
    Ok, cards like this are so cool, just the most absurd things that if you pull off you just win.

Once again, like Acolyte, this card fits the absurd side of the challenge, but doesn't fit the high part. We wanted cards that need like hundreds of counters, or need you to do somthing hundreds of time. However, just for the absurdity of this card aalone, I can't rate it too low. 

Overall, very fun and absurd card, just doesn't 100% fit the prompt. 87/100

@kaoz42 - The Iron Legion
    This card is definitely the one that fits the prompt the best.

Ok, firstly I have to say I love the 1,000 copies idea, very cool. However, I must say, A 2 mana ability to take an extra combat without tapping the creature is way to powerful. If you just fill up on creatures with vigilance, you can sometimes win the game with 6 or 8 mana. extra combats are powerful, and to do it for 2 mana as much as you want is way too powerful.

Overall, great idea, but the activated ability is way to powerful. 79/100

@FireOfGolden - Scroll of Immortality
    A scroll, certainly a unique card, I like it.

Ok, I only have one problem with this card, and that is that it feels a little powerful for a rare. I feel like this should be bumped up to a mythic, and I recommend increasing the mana required to activate the ability. 

Overall, Really cool card, but a little powerful for a rare. 87/100
    That means Congrats @TheDarkKnight1234567 ;You have won Week thirteen of YMTC! Congrats!

your prize is:
    3 favs + 2 hugs

Thank you all for your participation!
  • edited January 21
    Week Fourteen Prompt

Create a spell that has no mana cost (0 does not count)

I hope you have fun with this week's prompt and enjoy the challenge!
  • @Robo_Kitty
    Done, done.

The scrolls doesn't have mana costs at all, all they have is activatable abilities you can use from your hand.
  • LvBLvB
    edited January 21

This spell can only be cast by using its "Suspend" ability. You still pay 1 black mana, but thats not a casting cost.

• https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/bottled-djinn

The two halves of the card tell the story of a man who accidentally releases an imprisoned djinn who then becomes his servant.  The play on words between the two spell names was the starting point of this top-down design.
  • @Jadefire
    Wouldn't Town Drunkard count toward built-in card that happened to have a mana cost? What's difference between Adventurer card and Split card?
  • @FireOfGolden as I understand it, a split card fully has both halves of its front face in every zone except the stack (Rule 709.4), which is why its mana value and colours are the combined result of both halves (Rule 709.4b).  It also has the combined card types and abilities of both halves (Rule 709.4c).

On the other hand, the characteristics of an Adventure card in the left inset frame are alternative characteristics that only exist when the spell is on the stack as an Adventure.  At all other times, only the the card's normal characteristics are deemed to exist (Rule 715.4).  Bottled Djinn (along with cards like Bonecrusher Giant, Brazen Borrower, and Scalding Viper) is a complete standalone card that's independent of anything in its inset frame, and must be cast as such.  In this respect, it's probably closer to looking at just a single side of a modal double-faced card.

Maybe this seems like a technicality.  I'll defer to the judge for a ruling on this.  I'm ready with an alternate submission, if necessary.
  • @Robo_Kitty

Can my card be a land, or does it have to be a spell? Either way, here's my submission.

If it needs to be a spell:

Primal Hymn
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/primal-hymn?list=user

If it doesn't matter:

Wildwood Nexus
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/wildwood-nexus?list=user

Also, the 3 faves can go to any cards in my collection
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/user/TheDarkKnight123456789/cards

The hugs can go to any 2 cards in my favorites
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/user/TheDarkKnight123456789/favorites
  • @TheDarkKnight1234567, yeah it needs to be a spell. Favs applied.
  • edited January 22
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/connect-to-the-beyond-1
    (Looking back at this, I realize this could just as well have been a creature spell)

• @Robo_Kitty Does this technically count?
  • @Floodkiller45
    Well, according to prompt, it doesn't matter whether spell could be casted. It matters whenever mana cost exists.

You made Test Chamber that costs 3 blue mana or 6 life to cast. It has mana cost, hence, doesn't meet the prompt. Why? On the battlefield, the game will see this creature as having three mana values regardless person spent life to cast it. You can go this way;

Test Chamber - No Mana Cost
    Sorcery (Rare)
    Pay 6 life: Put Test Chamber from your hand onto the battlefield.