Arts creates by AI; Who gets all credits?

I decided to download an AI image generator app then fool with it around until I got really good image that I would like to use on MTG. However, I am unsure about who to credit. Yes, AI did it, but it's because I ask AI to do something and AI gets some part of many different artists' works into one. Because of that, I "remixed" the image with AI's help, but I don't know all name of artists. Can I take the credit, or set it to "FireOfGolden (AI)"?

Comments

• LvBLvB
    edited January 12
    As i see it, AI is just a tool you use. Its a very advanced tool, but without you telling the tool what to do it doesnt do anything. So the whole creative part is not with the tool, but with the person using it.
    Btw. even Adobe Photoshop uses AI to get better results or the result you want, only that its better hidden in its filters and masks and brushes and stuff like that. If you had to do everything by hand in photoshop instead of using a photoshop tool it would take way longer to get the same result.
    AI just is the next logical step, but without the user who tells it what to do, it isnt capable of creating anything.

The only diffrence is the way of using it. Real painters use a brush, digital painters use a digital brush, and AI painters use a prompt instead of a digital brush. But AI itself would never have the idea of lets say something like this:
    Without the right prompt, or lets say the right instructions what to create, an AI by itself would never draw a flying house with tentacles.n An AI by itself would never think "Today i feel like creating a flying house with tentacles".
  • @LvB
    I would say telling AI to create an image is like remixing the music. The difference is you don't know where these shapes and colors comes from. However, are you saying that I can take all credits because I used the tool to create an image?
  • LvBLvB
    edited January 12
    If you were a "real" artist that used paint and brushes and would paint on real paper, would you write: "Created by FireOfGolden, Paint in diffrent colors, diffrent Brushes and Paper" or would you just write "Created by FireOfGolden" ?
    And btw. since AI is just a tool, not a real person or a juristical person, i think it can not get any credits at all.
  • @LvB ;
    Ehh, need more explanation. If I use something such as pencil or paint brush, then I can say it's created by me. It's like creating music itself using either piano or guitar. AI on another hand, the AI pulls some scraps done by the artists then mixes it up to match person's requests. It's like remixing the music using other people's works.
  • LvBLvB
    edited January 12
    So you would credit the music program/software you used if you were a musician ? AI is software. Advanced software, but nothing more. Its a software tool and should be treated like other software tools.
  • edited January 12
    @LvB
    In law term, when remixing, you must credit to musicians who made these music you mixed into, due to copyright. I am worry about that might apply to the AI.

If that's not the case then I can take all credit.
  • So far, the most prominent legal precedent in US AI art law is that art generated solely through AI is not the property of anyone.  It cannot be copyrighted or trademarked.  If you were to use AI as a portion of your process, the AI generated portion is not legally protected, but it's use within the overall work is.  In other words, the process you describe seems to be most likely creditable to you.  Think of it as how you don't have to credit every artist that you ever saw that inspired your original art, or, perhaps, that you don't have to credit the inventor of each word that you use when writing a novel.
    If, however, you specifically asked the AI to base it's work off a specific piece of art, that would fall more into the "remix" situation, and you would want to credit the original artists.

I, personally, like to credit the AI engine that created the image if I use something that is solely AI, but credit myself if I do extensive editing and tweaking after.
  • Also, props to everyone that's concerned and doing their best to give appropriate credit for their art.  The problem with AI is that, not only do you not know where it gets its data from, no one knows where it gets its data from.  There are some really interesting studies out there right now looking into how much single points of information affect the output of AI, but, so far, there's really inconsistent results, which means that there's currently no reliable way to accurately credit any sources that may have contributed to an AI generated work.
  • most ai art services are powered by DALL-E 3. So, credit the source ai-art engine. While it may be programmed to find inspiration from all artists on the internet or who knows where, if an actual artist finds inspiration from Picasso, we don't credit Picasso, we credit the art's artist. So, credit the source ai-art engine.