Outlaws of Thunder Junction contest!

Comments

• Outlaw bracket:
    I'm not an artist myself, so it's the art for Sword of Truth and Justice.
    The name "Crime and Punishment" is based on the fuse card of the same names and the primary ability is designed based on that card.
    For flavor, the protection clauses are basically the two sides of the law.

• Mount & Saddle Bracket:

• edited April 7
    Outlaw bracket's deadline countdown has started! (as of yesterday)
    After 7 days, the bracket will no longer accept entries nor edits as it closes for judging (see 1st comment)

Added table to keep up with entries in each bracket and their links (see 1st comment).
  • edited April 8
    Disqualified card
  • edited April 8
    Disqualified card
  • edited April 30
    Mount Bracket:

Outlaw bracket:
    Edit: I had to recreate these from memory after the recent server move, so they might be slightly different now. Same goes for Aliya from my Plot bracket entry.
  • Plot Bracket:

• edited April 8
    @Veniur Careful Planning does not use the Plot mechanic (Basic Requirements), its effect just triggers when a plotted spell is cast. Corpse on Loan, similarly, returns a mount or vehicle, but does not use saddle. 
    Apologies, but under these terms, an artifact that says nothing but "Mount spells cost {1} less to cast" would be a viable entry, but that isn't really using the mechanic in question.
    They are, for now, not being counted as entries for the Plot bracket nor the Mount & Saddle bracket.
  • That's fair. Sounds good.
  • Ok, I really shouldn't be sitting on my challenges or I'll never get to host another one. (I've been waiting for the current ones to dissipate so I don't clog the forum. Too bad no room for that anymore.) Anyway, this looks fun hope to submit stuff.
  • @kaoz42 Pop off, friend. I believe the only other contests are the YMTC and Reverse Challenge: they've been ongoing for at least a year each. If you consider Sagas... well, those have always meant to be long-term either way.
  • I just wanted to ask if someone knows more about the downtime Cardsmith had and who are the winners of this contest?
  • edited May 1
    Since the forum was out for about a month with entry time left, and peeps might not have seen its return:
    All brackets are open for entries until the 8th of May.
  • Unfortunately, this contest is over for a while, so I'll post this out of competition. Just made it and saw afterwards that I am way to late
    Desert Guide

• @Mila You're good!
  • edited May 9
    @Korora12 It sucks that some cards got wiped in the transfer. The last version of each entry will be considered for judging, as entries may be edited until the deadline (8th of May).
    • The card's image here in the challenge will be the first point of reference.
    • If the image is no longer present in the challenge, I'll check the card's link.
    • If that doesn't work, I'll look for the card among the cardsmith's collection.
    • By the time entries close, if I can't find it, it will not be considered an entry.
    Following these steps, afaik, all entries thus far seem to be available.

Crime bracket

Plot bracket

Mount/Saddle

Outlaw

Spree

StuffnSuch

Best Served Cold

Spirited Mustang/Cody Loyal Stallion

Perfect Posse

Robo_Kitty

The County Jail

Eyes in the Universe

Armored Decapod

Wanted Poaster

The Mind Heist

Jadefire

Skullshank, Bad to the Bone

Nacardo, the Forked Mind

Wild-Breaker Harness

Deac, Whole Hog Devotion

Path of Perdition

Korora12

Jane Reeves, County Sheriff

Aliya, Seamstress of Fate

Amber Crested Dragon

Ruffian Recruiter

Train Robbery

Floodkiller45

William Mert, Corrupt Sheriff

The Cartenhollow Robbery (image in post)

Shootout

Faiths_Guide

Steady Shelldog

Lurisauri

Wasteland Penitentiary

Cold Colt

Monstrous Desert Cobra

Dust Devil Gang

Banned into Desert

Spellpiper

Can’t Keep a Good Man Down

Tonight We Ride

Veniur

Sword of Crime and Punishment

Mila

Partners in Crime

Desert Mount

Desert Guide

• Got the card for the mount/saddle bracket here:
    Desert Mount
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/desert-mount

• Cant Keep A Good Man Down

For the Plot bracket
  • edited May 8
    Last day for entry! In 10 hours, contest will be closed for judging.
  • Looks like all my cards disappeared, so here they are again:

Outlaw:
    Perfect Posse

Crime:
    Best Served Cold

Mount and Saddle:
    Spirited MustangCody Loyal Stallion
  • edited May 9
    As of two minutes ago,
    ENTRIES ARE NOW CLOSED. Results Soon™!
  • edited May 9
    Thanks for joining the contest ya'll! I've favorited all entries and tried my best to apply the judging criteria as equally as I could, but keep in mind subjectivity is inevitably ineradicable from this sort of thing.
    Cards judged out of 100. 35 accounts for Comprehensive Rules, 30 Concept/Flavor, 20 Balance in Limited and 15 Clarity (4 for Reminder Text, 4 for Grammar, 4 for Formatting and 3 for Usual Wording).
    Please don't take anything to heart. I'm just a rando on the internet. Any validation to be taken from here is lofty at best. As long as you're making cards and having fun, that's what matters.
    I'll be posting brackets as I finish judging them! First up (as I had more notes on hand):
    Outlaw bracket 1/4 - Runner-up to 1st Place
    • Runner-up, for a favorite in any card you choose, goes to:
    Perfect Posse by StuffnSuch: 92/100

Basic Requirements: Valid.

Comprehensive Rules 35/35: Checks out.

Concept/Flavor 27/30: Cohesive art/flavor in gathering misfits! On the name:

-3: “Posse”, in the Western context, is a group assembled by sheriffs to hunt down criminals.

Balance in Limited 20/20: Checks out.

Clarity 10/15

0/4 Reminder Text:

-4: None. Particularly relevant given the card counts each creature type within outlaw.

4/4 Grammar: Checks out.

3/4 Formatting:

-1: For large spaces between rules and flavor text, I recommend a separator bar.

3/3 Usual Wording: Checks out.

• In 3rd, for two favorites in any cards you choose, goes to:
    Ruffian Recruiter by Korora12 94/100

Concept/Flavor 30/30: Living up to "Merc" type, hiring outlaws. Nice alliterative name!

Clarity 9/15

0/4 Reminder Text:

-4 None.

4/4 Formatting: Checks out.

1/3 Usual Wording:

-1: When referring to Treasure in rules text, the word is capitalized (it’s a token’s name, not to mention a predefined token).

-1: Per rule 513.a, “at end of [your] turn” is no longer printed, having been replaced in oracle text by “at the beginning of your end step”.

• In 2nd, for four favorites in any cards you choose, goes to:
    Deac, Whole Hog Devotion by Jadefire 96/100

Deac Whole Hog Devotion

Concept/Flavor 30/30: Huge fan of storytelling on the mechanic-flavor interaction.

Balance in Limited 18/20:

-2: Outlaw synergy wholly outside their archetype colors (BR) is a bit like the opposite of a signpost card; a bit of a trap rare during drafting, as it’s much harder to build a GW outlaws deck than just using the archetype’s colors.

Clarity 13/15

4/4 Reminder Text: Checks out.

1/3 Usual Wording:

-1: “Remove all damage from it” (as of newer Regenerate and Totem Armor), rather than “remove all damage marked on it” (only used once in ye olde Pyramids).

-1: Rather than the Gods’ “it isn’t a creature” wording, as this effect removes particular creature types, being more in-line with usual wording would probably entail “it loses all outlaw creature types”, as of similar creature-type-removing cards, many of which mention types (e.g. creature, artifact, etc) and creature types (e.g. Assassin, Pirate, etc) separately.

• In 1st, for a whooping 8 favorites in any cards you choose:

Wanted Poaster by Robo_Kitty 98/100

Wanted Poaster

Concept/Flavor 30/30: Art, mechanic and flavor text; really on theme!

Clarity 13/15

2/4 Grammar:

-1: Typo of “poster”.

-1: Flavor text begins sentence uncapitalized.

• edited May 9
    Outlaw bracket 2/4 - All Entries

Wanted Poaster

Deac, Whole Hog Devotion

Ruffian Recruiter

Perfect Posse

Desert Guide

Dust Devil Gang

The Cartenhollow Robbery

Sword of Crime and Punishment

B.Req.

All valid entries.

Ru/35

Fla/30

Bal/20

Cla/15

RT/04

Gr/04

For/04

Wo/03

TOTAL/100

• edited May 9
    Outlaw bracket 3/4 - Feedback
    Desert Guide

Concept/Flavor 30/30: A mercenary pathfinder in his natural habitat, fun times!

Balance in Limited 16/20: Appropriate rarity.

-4: While not an issue at all in the vast majority of environments, as this challenge has OoTJ’s Limited design in mind, giving all outlaws Desertwalk is quite often just making them all unblockable in this format, regardless of Treasure, for as can be seen in the set, all tapped duals and quite a bunch more land cards (even just at Common/Uncommon) are all Deserts.

Clarity 9/15

0/4 Reminder Text:

-4: None. Particularly necessary not only for outlaw, but also as landwalk is very rarely printed these days, nevermind desertwalk.

1/3 Usual Wording:

-1: Outlaw, as a batching term (e.g. historic, party or modified), is not capitalized, unlike creature types (e.g. Assassin, Mercenary, Pirate, etc).

-1: “Token” is specified when a Treasure is created. In abilities that utilize Treasures, “token” isn’t specified, which allows for cards with the Treasure subtype to be used. So deemed unusual wording as flavor and mechanics don’t indicate excluding those was intentional.

Dust Devil Gang

Basic Requirements: Valid

Comprehensive Rules 31.5/35:

-3.5: As a creature buff from a triggered ability, its third mode (+2/0) should have a set duration, e.g. “until end of turn”. Otherwise, it would last until end of the game, even after DDG leaves play, which isn’t the use of such buffs (MtG uses counters or emblems for effects to last longer).

Concept/Flavor 30/30: Name and art invoking the dusty desert trail, plus haste. On the nail with the thematic!

Balance in Limited 18/20: Appropriate rarity.

-2: First mode’s pure life gain doesn’t much fit into the B/R color pair; bit of a color pie issue.

Clarity 9/15

2/4 Grammar:

-1: Typo: “Live” is the verb, “life” is the noun.

-1: “Target opponent” is third person singular (same as he/she/it). So “lose” should be “loses”.

2/4 Formatting:

-1: Modal spells after “choose X” are followed by a {line} (—) rather than a {dash} (-). E.g. Arbalest Engineers, Baleful Beholder, Bill Ferny, Bree Swindler.

-1: Reminder text on modal spells is put on the same line as the mode, not below. Same examples as above.

1/3 Usual Wording:

-1: For that “every”, MtG tends to use “each”: “for each outlaw you control”.

-1: Rather than “All outlaws you control”, MtG tends to use “Outlaws you control”.

• edited May 9
    Outlaw bracket 4/4 - Feedback
    • The Cartenhollow Robbery (link is dead) by Floodkiller 85.5/100

Comprehensive Rules 31.5/35:

-3.5: Damage must have a source. The third mode should specify that the creature, or The Cartenhollow Robbery itself, deals 2 damage to target creature.

Concept/Flavor 27/30: Buffs outlaws, and triggered ability accounts for the robbery.

-3: Art is a bit hard to parse through (big scene, resized image). Seems like a shootout tho.

Balance in Limited 18/20: Appropriate rarity.

-2: Mono-red doesn’t really get, as per 2nd mode, repeatable card drawing without discard, sacrifice or “exile the top card. You may play until end of turn/next turn”. Color pie issue.

Clarity 9/15

0/4 Reminder Text:

-4: None.

3/4 Grammar:

-1: No punctuation at the end of each mode.

3/4 Formatting:

-1: Modal spells after “choose X” are followed by a long dash — ({line}), not a colon (:). E.g. Arbalest Engineers, Baleful Beholder, Bill Ferny, Bree Swindler, etc.

Concept/Flavor 30/30: Neat parallels between name, types and on-damage effects.

Balance in Limited 04/20:

-2: It’s an auto-include for any Limited deck, no matter the color nor archetype.

-2: Made with EDH/Eternal formats in mind, not a Standard set’s Limited.

-2: It is functionally unbeatable for limited decks as it requires immediate instant-speed removal (consistently equips on same turn it was cast, to a creature that was already on the board) and is harder to remove as an artifact.

-2: Too much value in a single attack, constantly forcing chump blocks by threatening to grant so much value it hardly matters if the equipment is later removed.

-2: In OoTJ Limited, the equipped creature often can’t even be blocked nor targeted anyway due to protection from outlaws.

-2: Already strong were it to only recur and destroy creatures; it also recurs enchantments and destroys artifacts or enchantments.

-2: Cost-to-effect – 3 colorless cast, 2 to equip to make your attacking creature +2/+2 and block-or-lose in a draft environment. Its protection may be more narrow than other Swords of X and Y, but the effect puts Sword of Sinew and Steel to shame.

-2: That vast reanimation range at this low cost and repeatedly is not available in colorless; as per the Mechanical Color Pie 2021, it’s usually in Black or White. Bit of a color pie issue.

Clarity 14/15

3/4 Formatting:

-1: On spacing, “protection” can be moved to fit the first line (tested on MTG Cardsmith).

• Congratulations @Robo_Kitty on the win, Wanted Poster is a very flavourful and straightforward card that delivers through its simplicty.

@Yururu It seems that seeing this contest through to the end is going to be a very labourious endeavour for you, so thanks for all the effort you're going to have to put in.  I appreciate the comprehensiveness of the judging and that you're taking so many aspects of the cards into consideration.  I respect that a lot because I hold those same values and try to design cards with mindfulness toward many of the same facets.

You're completely right about Selesnya being outside of the typical outlaw colour identity, it's a compromise I had to make to stay on-colour for what Deac does.  I suppose that might relegate the card to being a splash in a primarily black Abzan deck or a primarily red Naya deck, but the effect is probably powerful enough to justify the spash.
    I used "remove all damage marked on it" instead of matching the reminder text from Regenerate and Totem armor because reminder text isn't counted as official Oracle wording (Rule 207.2 says it has no game function and the Glossary of the Magic comprehensive rules explicitly says it's not rules text, so it's not bound by the same conventions as actual rules text - see Obsidian Fireheart, Aeon Engine, and Trinisphere).  Aside from Pyramids, a second card (Ogre Enforcer) explicitly mentions damage "marked" on creatures.  Sometimes you only have a one-off example to base something on and in this case, I chose to follow that.
    Great alternative wording with "it loses all outlaw creature types."  That's a much more elegant way to remove all subtypes associated with a batching term.  I'll have to make a note of that one for the future.  I was able to find a couple of examples of the "isn't a [subtype]" wording on cards like Dancing Sword and Werewolf Pack Leader, so they do exist.  Also, really good job with finding examples to support your points!  I think doing good searches and being able to tap in to the available cards in the Magic universe for reference is an art that not a lot of people have a handle on, but you do.