Outlaws of Thunder Junction contest!

13»

Comments

• I know I already said this and like the card as is, but @Robo_Kitty's "Wanted Poster" was the PERFECT opportunity to use the 'bounty' mechanic (also made by robo_kitty).
  • @Yururu Hey thanks so much! The favs can go to any of my cards.

@TheDarkKnight1234567 ooh I like that. May need to do something with that.
  • edited May 13
    Plot bracket 1/4 - Runner-up to 2st Place
    • Runner-up, for a favorite in any card you choose, goes to:

Eyes in the Universe by Robo_Kitty 92/100

Basic Requirements: Valid.

Comprehensive Rules 35/35: Checks out.

Concept/Flavor 30/30: Taking “plot” to Endgame-like proportions! I can see it. OoTJ does have villains from all over the multiverse.

Balance in Limited 20/20: A twist on Make Your Own Luck with more options, same cost and no draw; whose alt cost makes it a 2-turn-delay Ignite the Future. Better balanced than the Etali and Ultimatum rares in limited environments.

Clarity 07/15

0/4 Reminder Text:

-4: None

3/4 Grammar:

-1: Capitalized “sorcery” in middle of sentence.

4/4 Formatting: Checks out.

0/3 Usual Wording:

-1: “You may plot an instant or sorcery” would be “instant or sorcery card” (as Objects are defined in rule 109). Same below in “any number of instant or sorceries”.

-1: More specifically, also “becomes plotted” instead of Fblthp’s static ability’s wording.

-1: “If this card was cast”; by usual wording, it’d be “this spell” when using “cast”, as per rules 601.1 and 601.1a.

• In 3rd, for two favorites in any cards you choose, goes to:

Aliya, Seamstress of Fate by Korora12 93/100

Concept/Flavor 27/30: Plotting insofar as weaving the future! 

-3: Though it feels a lil empty as far as flavorful pairings/interactions go, as the art doesn't tell much. It's a legendary creature with short rules text; some flavor text could help. What is it/she/they all about?

Balance in Limited 20/20: Nice limited environment support, creating some good interaction with UR’s “2+ spells” archetype in OoTJ (e.g. Slick Sequence). Some scry interaction and a less abusive version of Birgi’s mana-gaining effect.

Clarity 11/15

0/4 Reminder Text:

-4: None

4/4 Grammar: Checks out.

3/3 Usual Wording: Checks out.

• In 2nd, for four favorites in any cards you choose, goes to:

Can’t Keep a Good Man Down by Spellpiper2213 96/100

Concept/Flavor 30/30: The returning hero/”thought I was dead” bit, yee-haw!

Balance in Limited 18/20: Works great in both WU “no spells cast” Archetype and WB’s control/long game Archetypes.

-2: 3 mana cost is a bit low for unconditional (no cost range for targets) reanimation (too early/efficient a play pattern: discarding/cycling a huge creature on T2, reanimate at T3).

Clarity 13/15

4/4 Reminder Text: Checks out.

1/3 Usual Wording:

-1: “With a vigilance counter on it” as per return with keyword counter, rather than “an additional” as per return with +1/+1 counters.

-1: In title casing (for MtG, card names), minor words such as short prepositions, some conjunctions, or specifically here articles (a Good Man) are not capitalized unless they’re starting a sentence. E.g. Bake into a Pie, Brain in a Jar, etc.

• edited May 13
    Plot bracket 2/4 - 1st Place
    • In 1st, for a whooping 8 favorites in any cards you choose:

Nacardo, the Forked Mind by Jadefire 97/100

Basic Requirements: Valid. It effectively plots, even with no explict Plot, for the contest’s purposes, as “using the ability/term of its bracket” is required. Nacardo uses the mechanic with a spin.

Concept/Flavor 30/30: A constantly scheming Warlock (probably not coincidentally, an outlaw) from what seems to be a bog.

Balance in Limited 18/20: A chase mythic for constructed, though well designed/costed for it.

-2: Made with Constructed formats in mind, not Limited. It’d be very near impossible to make Nacardo be something other than a 4-mana 3/3 that you have to splash for in OTJ draft, sadly.

Clarity 14/15

3/4 Reminder Text:

-1: Partial plot (exiles itself from library on search, not from hand). Still using most of it tho.

3/3 Usual Wording: Checks out.

• edited May 13
    Plot bracket 3/4 - All Entries

Nacardo, the Forked Mind

Can’t Keep a Good Man Down

Aliya, Seamstress of Fate

Eyes in the Universe

Cold Colt

Basic Req

All valid entries.

Ru/35

Fla/30

Bal/20

Cla/15

RT/04

Gr/04

For/04

Wo/03

TOTAL/100

• Plot bracket 4/4 - Feedback

Comprehensive Rules 35/35:

Concept/Flavor 30/30: Pretty neat association of plotted cards to firepower.

Balance in Limited 14/20: Appropriate rarity (wouldn’t want that many swinging it).

-2: Cost-to-effect. 2 to cast, 1 to equip. While does require some build around, Plotting in OTJ is pretty wildly available to all colors, including at common/uncommon. So the reliable use of it as a repeatable Shock after just 2 plotted spells can be pretty oppressive in draft.

-2: Direct damage to any target, at low cost and repeatedly. I don’t think it’s far off to argue Red should probably be involved, esp. given colors’ wide Plot access. Bit of a color pie issue.

-2: The recursion (may be plotted from graveyard) is a bit much. Artifact removal itself in draft is already harder to come by, nevermind exiling it for good.

Clarity 12/15

4/4 Reminder Text: Checks out.

4/4 Grammar:

2/4 Formatting:

-1: End of lines’ leftover space (first line can fit “Colt” and the second line can fit “is the” and maybe even “number” after “Colt” moves to first line).

-1: Static ability and activated ability keyword on same paragraph (“plot Cold Colt from your graveyard” and “Plot {3}”).

2/3 Usual Wording:

-1: “You may” (e.g. “you may cast” or “you may play lands”) rather than “you can” for that instance. Specifically, as per Fblthp’s static ability also.

• inb4 I realized the brackets thing got me judging five contests instead of one. Sorry for the delay everyone, trying not to rush and miss things while keeping up with life.
  • Thanks @Yururu!  Again great judging points.  The twelve favourites from the outlaw and plot brackets can go to any of my cards you like: https://mtgcardsmith.com/user/Jadefire/cards