LHunter’s Mechanics Tournament

This is a small scale tournament for custom mechanics. Competitors will create a set called Mechanics Challenge and fill it with 3 cards. One card is an artifact or enchantment that uses your mechanic, one card is an instant or sorcery that uses your mechanic, and one is a creature that uses your mechanic. There will be a bracket and a winner. There will be rounds of mechanics. For example: if you win the first round matchup, you will move on to the second round matchup where you will make 3 new cards. You are welcome to keep your first mechanic and make the 3 new ones with it, but you may also make a new mechanic for the 3. Have fun and be nice. This is a friendly competition.

Comments

• I'll be in after the weekend
  • Are there any restrictions or requirements for the custom mechanic or may we create anything ?

• As long as it isn’t too complicated, you’re good. Tell me your idea and I will respond to say if it is too much. I have a feeling it’s gonna be about snails, though.
  • I guess, I am in
  • That was very fast. The official judging will start in 2 days. 
  • We have 2 official entries. I’m thinking there will be 4, to make 2 rounds, but if you guys surprise me and have 8 entries, we will have 3 rounds. To be and official entry, please type “in” or “I am in”. Something along those lines.
  • I'd like to participate, but I think the timeline is too tight for me to make three entries before the deadline.
  • ill try to get in now.
  • LvBLvB
    edited June 22
    My new Mechanic is MANAMORPH. It forces you to cast spells with it for its casting cost - which is always 2 colored mana- but face down. And that spell becomes a mana stone artifact you can tap for mana.
    Now the tricky thing with Manamorph is, that all spells cost 2, but if the manamorphed Spell is a creature you can turn it face up for 3. But if its a TRAP (a new enchantment category), you can turn it face up for free if certain conditions are met.
    And manamorph spells always cost hybrid mana, so the opponent cant be sure what exactly you just cast.

So, example, you could cast a creature in turn 2 for 2 mana as a manastone and in turn 3 pay 3 to turn it face up. And the creatures are usually good for a turn 3 drop, but total cost is 5 mana, spent over 2 turns. Or you could pay that mana when enemy attacks you to turn a creature face up and block, effectively giving such manamorphed creatures flash. But enough talk, here is my 3 cards (and the token, that represents the mana stone).

And the corresponding token for the Mana Stone.
    The Lore behind it is that something is trapped inside the Manastone, but you cant really say what exactly is in there.

• Sorry guys I got a little excited (that doesn’t happen often). The deadline will be in 6 days. Because the 2 day deadline is 1 day in so, @Jadefire, I’d love to have you participate.
  • We have 4 entries, so, unfortunately, unless you guys give me 4 more entries, there is no more space. If you give me 3 more entries, I’ll be a wild card who will lose.
  • Thanks @LHunter, I'll try to get my entries in soon.
  • edited June 23
    Take your time, @Jadefire.
    And if you guys want to know more about my life on a desert planet, check out my discussion for that. I’m glad to answer your questions.
    p.s. sorry if I come through unenthusiastic. I’m enthusiastic, just not excited. I don’t really get excited.
  • I'm in with a mechanic I want to keep experimenting on... Gaze into the Abyss.
    I was inspired by venture into the dungeon and the Ring tempts you when designing it. As such, a Reminder//Emblem card is tied to it.
    Gaze into the Abyss The Abyss
    Idea is that the Abyss yields knowledge and power to those who dare to seek it, but the deeper you venture, the more you lose as the Abyss eats you away bit by bit... until you reach the very depths of the Abyss and are sent back to the first layer again... forever changed, and possibly with a hunger to dive into its depths once again.
    1. Instant
    War of the Abyss
    The Abyss has five layers, each with its own triggered ability (numbered from 1 to 5 on the Emblem). Cards connected to the mechanic may refer to the player's current layer in unique ways.
    2. Creature
    Abyss-Touched Abomination
    Some cards grow more powerful depending on the Abyss depth you've reached during a single game. In this case, Abyss-Touched Abomination's power can range from 1 to 5, but it won't be 1 again even if you begin your descend on the Emblem all over again, as you've already seen the lowest depth of the Abyss that game.
    3. Artifact
    Bedwyr Claw of Septhis
    The most powerful cards of this mechanic allow for multiple chances to gaze into the Abyss, but it also comes with a great risk of destroying yourself, as repeated descends on the Emblem make you lose cards from your library, graveyard, hand, and permanents from the battlefield, not to mention the loss of 5 life each time you reach the very depths... But perhaps the costs are worth the cards you draw and the strengthened spells and permanents you possess...
  • Oh wow. @TenebrisNemo. Did not expect to have such a renowned cardsmith in this. Thank you for participating. Unexpected thing that came up, but I won’t be back for 13-17 days, so this contest won’t get judged for a while. Please be patient.
  • I'll toss my hat into the ring with some new cards for an old ability word.

Eclipse CrusaderMind CrushInspired Wrath

Cards with the Mentality ability word have effects based on the top card of your library that also make sure that card doesn't stay on top of your library. (This is intended to represent whatever the player happens to be thinking about during that fleeting moment.) Other cards with this mechanic can be found here.
  • edited June 25
    Very cool realism in the mechanic, @cadstar369.
    I’m very sorry to anyone who is looking forward to the tournament results, but it still stands that the tournament will continue in 2… weeks? Is that what you call the 7 day period on earth? I you are confused about my limited knowledge of earth, please check my profile or leave a question in my discussion about Q&A. Thanks.
  • Chrono PendantShifting SandsTemporal Warden
    Chrono Pendant by jpastor | MTG Cardsmith
    Shifting Sands by jpastor | MTG Cardsmith
    Temporal Warden by jpastor | MTG Cardsmith

This mechanic was a bit too radical for my Chrono Clash set, but in a nutshell, it opens up tons of strategy. Here are some of the things this opens the door for:
    • New way to flash play spells
    • Alternate way to temporarily increase hand size
    • Deck building around shift counters synergy
    • Reveals cards to opponent, allowing for on-the-fly adjustments to their game.
    • Adds a new way to fill exile, which can be synergistic in legacy or commander.
    • Doesn't require you to play the card, which can be a fun way to tease your opponent.

Overall, I really like it, and where it can be OP, it can also be easy for an opponent to adjust to.

Temporal Shift N {line} [cost] <i>(You may pay [cost] to exile this card from your hand with N shift counter(s) on it. As long as it has a shift counter, you may cast it at any time without paying its mana cost. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a shift counter. When there are no shift counters, return it to your hand.)</i>
  • Cleave… but funnier
  • I like to think of it as Hinge, but with only one term to move.  But yes, Cleave would be on the other side of the spectrum with Transpose in between.
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/pursuit-of-inspiration
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/bloodstained-baroness
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/knight-of-the-dread-eclipse

• Sorry, everyone, but that is 8 people. @ManInMaroon_948, if you do not get the cards to me by 7 days from now, you will be disqualified and I will enter as a wild card with a higher chance of losing. Thank you so much for the support, and I am excited to judge, but intergalactic roaming is really spotty because of a solar storm. 
    -LHunter
  • Feel free to check out my Spotify playlists! Find me on Spotify with the name L65203.
  • Hi! I exist lol

I'm submitting an older mechanic of mine, Forerunner Roles, inspired from the mechanic of Role tokens that was introduced in Wilds of Eldraine.

Whispermare

Blade of Imminent Stealth

I might need a little more time to make an instant/sorcery, but I'll be sure to finish it soon! Let my brain settle and I'll make a cool card lol
  • Interesting… loving the blade of imminent stealth because I have a Valduk deck. You guys have some competition and I have some hard decisions.