Renaissance Set - Creative Team

12346»

Comments

• I was thinking of it like we could have certain characteristics hinting back on how things were different before.
    One idea I had was to have one character who was a knight from a long family of knights and he's trying to adapt to changing times. Both in the sense that his career and family tradition are obsolete maybe even barbaric nowdays and even his prized swordsmanship passed down from generation to generation is useless faced to guns.
    Kinda like struggling against society except he knows he will lose and cant really move forward.
    This might actually become a theme, in Kaladesh innovation was accepted as a fact and progress was constant but here it might be that there are certain people actively trying to resist the change and preserve the old ways.
  • Also I realised that this winter/muse cycle could actually represent an entire human timeline, observe
    stone age/winter -> classical age (greece rome)/muse -> middle-age and dark age/winter -> renaissance and colonial era/muse -> industrial age and WWI/winter ->WWII and digital age/muse
    This is our timeline, sorta, so if we compare it to this plane, this renaissances innovation might never stop and bleed into their next winter making it less a dark age and more a period of industry and war, (civil war, Napoleonic war). Then the muses come back in the middle of a big war, (WWI), affecting the conflict and creating a very different summer to the ones before, (the ideological warfare that was WWII).
    I just said this for fun but its cool to consider how something taking the muses could alter the cycle of innovation to create a future similar to our own.
  • @BorosPaladin,
    We've been working around a Dark Ages/Renaissance cycle, sort of like Llorwyn/Shadowmoor, since a while back.
  • is this still going?
  • We could have a cycle showing how people repurpose winter items to work for summer.
  • @kandra127
    Yeap it's still on, I've just been a bit busy (I'm participating in too many contests at once and I moved to a new apartment at the same time). So I spent most of my time working on the mechanical aspect of Rezatta on the other thread, which mostly meant allowing easier playtesting for everyone. Once we get a good mechanical basis, we'll start concepting cards and this thread is going to be important in defining what the cards are supposed to show of the world.
    I've done playtesting cards for Untap.in and, while I have't spent much time refining them, there are still plenty of illustrations and tropes propositions in there. I'll try to make a best-of of what I think turned out better than I expected on the first draft so we can start to discuss them.

@brcien
    That's a really cool idea if we can find examples that make sense. I definitely think the winter/spring aspect is a trope we have barely touched but has a lot of potential for flavouring many cards.
  • ok thanks. I was just wondering
  • Okay, I am going to comment something without reading the whole thread. Stupid, I know but here goes. Because I am me, when I think about the renaissance, I think about the major jumps in science. I know you guys were talking about making a religion, and, just a thought, maybe the main conflict could be between the church and the influence of science? Or would that maybe offend people? Don't know, just throwing it out there.
  • @01101
    Yeap we agree on the jump in science part! ^^ To summarise, the biggest tropes we plan on using (those which will get a dedicated new keyword to draw attention to them) are going to be art, emotions, and (most likely) scientific progress.
    The idea of a conflict between religion and science is interesting though, it highlights both themes and create conflicts to depict on cards. The main drawback we'd have to think of would be how does it affects the tone of the set. We're trying to be an optimistic set. Of course there will be conflict but we also have the option of religion being a positive force which enhances both art and science. We should probably test a little bit of the two options to see what has the more potential and design space.
  • Well, since you guys were thinking about having some members of the church being corrupt, maybe they could be the ones fighting the rise of science, and they could be tricking the other members of the church into helping them so that they stay in power. The church, the noncorrupted part, could like science, as they see knowledge as important to a good life, I mean, isn't it going to be white and blue? This could provide some interesting design space.
  • And, it could fit into @BorosPaladin's idea of some people actively trying to hold onto the past, as the corrupted part of the church needs to to stay in power.
  • That sounds good
  • It does sound interesting, they could make good villains for the main story as well ^^
This discussion has been closed.